• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

So we're in agreement that bootleg Christian Bale is the vigilante right? (Btw best new cast member of the show, he's doing great with his scenes)

ZeroX03

Banned
AV Club: B+. Lots of talk about the different characters this week. And they know that Curtis sucks too.

I think both this and last week's episode suffered from Artemis being... not much of anything. She was clearly designed as a single episode plot device in her first incarnation and had her story, now she's back as Artemis with little explanation, last week they seemed to have no clue what to do with her and this week she's a villain. She's constantly being repurposed as a flimsy character to fit whatever the plot needs. Stands out extra because she's the only female in the field these days. Except Felicity was in the field this episode for no good reason. Artemis especially hurts for anyone familiar with Young Justice who did the tortured family history way better.

Same with Vigilante, he's kind of a nothing character so far and we only got one damn scene with his human alter ego. Barely learned a thing about him other than that he'd lost someone. Focus on the weaker characters, plus setting up things for later in the season is what hurt these past two episodes, but this episode also suffered from having an inexperienced director on board as well. But the show is still playing to its strengths in a very competent manner that keeps it enjoyable.

Wild Dog isn't the deepest character, but he's a pretty clean archetype. Rough around the edges dude who wants to do right. Forges friendships, especially with Diggle who needs it. Will galvanize the team when he inevitably dies.

Idk unless Artemis's parents were specifically Sports Master and Huntress, I can't connect the two. She could be amazonian for all we know.

And I think our DA has gotten enough development over the course of the show in little chunks that its fine that he didn't get any focus in this episode.

ZeroX03

Banned
I have just learned there is a supervillain named Sportsmaster. Sportsmaster. What's next, Amateur Athlete?

Joke character.

Until he isn't.

Artemis was looking fine as fuck in that red dress. I need a gif of that.

Best I could get and it looks creepy without context.

artemisdressnws9b.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I have just learned there is a supervillain named Sportsmaster. Sportsmaster. What's next, Amateur Athlete?

The shocking thing is that the tv series Young Justice made Sportsmaster a legitimate badass. If you can make a goofy character badass or a badass character goofy, I'll love whatever is going on.

Artemis was looking fine as fuck in that red dress. I need a gif of that.

How the fuck is Curtis getting his hair braided so fast?

I was like "Who is that in that dres-Artemis?!?! Whew.

Yeah, they should just stop with the braids. The doing and undoing is just pointless. I don't think Curtis' hair is some big disadvantage in a fight, he's gonna get whooped either way. Which is fine, I suppose he's the greenest when it comes down to it.

strafer

I CANT BELIEVE THEY WENT THERE WITH HER...WORKING WITH THE BAD GUY.

SHE'S COOL AS FUCK ON THE TEAM...I HOPE SHE PLAYS A TRIPLE AGENT.

Jeez, this new team is depressing to watch. Why do we need those extras? Arrow and Diggle were just fine without a crew back then.

Get rid of those extras, make Arrow great again!

RS4-

Is the Vigilante guy the DA or whatever the hell.

And what the fuck is up with the editing in that bank fight lol. Ollie takes V down, then next cut they're standing.

What.

Jeez, this new team is depressing to watch. Why do we need those extras? Arrow and Diggle were just fine without a crew back then.

Get rid of those extras, make Arrow great again!

Artemis is evil, Wild Dog probably won't make it out of this season alive, Ragman will realize that he should be using those powers against reality threatening magic villains instead of one-sided fights with mobsters. Only Mr. Terrific and Spartan will remain.

Rory seems like a lazy asshole by that training.

What is there for him to learn? He's already crazy OP.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
How does he protect himself when he is washing his rags?

washing them removes the magic

they don't call him "Well-Laundered Cloth Man" for a very good reason

why do you think he's often standing kind of far away from the other guys? it's the stench

Damn with Artemis in his pocket, Prometheus must have planned every single encounter with the Green Arrow.

This episode was good. I liked the Vigilante's appearances but I was surprised they didn't reveal him as the D.A. already. I guess they're possibly saving that for the mid season finale.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Am I crazy or did it look like Curtis was actually wearing a T shaped mask this episode? It looked to have some depth in some shots. I was actually impressed by how well it looked and moved since it goes over his eyes, nose, and mouth.

northead

Couple possible theories for 5x07:

1)
Prometheus is somehow controlling Artemis — much like he did with Quentin, albeit in a different manner. Ties in with the Prometheus-is-Tommy theory.

2)
Artemis is trying to pull a triple agent. We've seen last week that she can be a bit of a defector, so this could easily be her trying to one up her own game by herself. Needless to say, if this is the case it's going to end up badly for her — but that might open the door for some Laurel/Flashpoint comeback shenanigans.

Overall a solid episode; I just hope for the mid-season finale not to end with the Vigilante reveal; we all know who he is and it'd be weak. But oh well — let's buckle up for some crossover bonanza.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Am I crazy or did it look like Curtis was actually wearing a T shaped mask this episode? It looked to have some depth in some shots. I was actually impressed by how well it looked and moved since it goes over his eyes, nose, and mouth.

I noticed it too. Before I thought it was painted on but I could see that it was raised off his face this week. His actual eyes kinda kill the effect for me but the 'T' mask is on point.

quiksilver1209

Neo Member
Another awesome episode! It's been said before but Arrow has been straight fire this season!

Doesn't surprise me that Artemis is working with Prometheus, but lets see where they take this. I'm still betting the farm its Tommy.

Can't wait until the crossover!

Ithil

I feel like there's an extra swerve to be had with Artemis, like she's going triple agent, or is being duped by Prometheus over something. Just seems overly simplistic and also too early in the season for "Nope, bad guy all along".

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the edges are a prosthetic latex blended inwards to a paint. There's no "mask" over his lips, nose, or eyes. But there is on the edges of the T and above his brow.

Jonogunn

Lol @ vigilante shooting the truck...everyone turns around...he's gone and they don't even bother chasing him lol

Like he had a split second to disappear and he could have gotten like 5 feet away at best lol

I get the whole disappearing thing is a common superhero trope but they could have done that scene better

Top Bottom