• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
See, I don't like anyone on Flash except Joe and Wells. Maybe Cisco sometimes but he's a one note character, like Felicity was in Season 1 and 2. I can almost literally hear their lines in my head before they say them. Pop Culture Reference. Computer magic mumbo jumbo. Rinse repeat. Which is fine, that's their purpose. But every procedural cop show has that same exact character. Either the computer tech or forensics person. They're all weird, know computers, make geek jokes, and have unstable dating lives. They're the person that clicks away at the keys and then yells "Boo-yah!" or some other tired variant.

Snow doesn't have a personality. At all.

Barry...oh lord, Barry. He drives me up a fucking wall. His character is oddly smug and I don't really know what they're going for with him. He's just a little of everything. Sorta geeky but only sometimes. Sorta suave but only sometimes. Sorta confident but only sometimes. He made more sense to me in Season 1. After that, they lost me on his character arc.

Iris was going somewhere and then they sorta just gave up on giving her anything of her own. I think she still works at the paper?

Wells and Joe? Good actors, they play their roles well. Writers seem to give them all the heavy lifting acting wise. They elevate the show a lot.

Short version: I fucking hate The Flash. Lol, not really but sorta kinda. It's a one trick pony and they've done that one trick twice already.

jm89

After the putrid dog shit season 3 (I enjoyed the overall League of Assassin's storyline - that was fantastic, but the acting and dialogue was fucking cringe) and 4 turned out to be, S5 has been re-markedly good so far.

However, Curtis really gets on my fucking nerves. Terrible character, as funny as cancer, and without a doubt the most useless vigilante.

The Flash appears to have better characters and actors overall - there is not a single character I dislike. Barry, Iris, Joe, Caitlin, Harrison Wells - they're all great! The only people who I actually like in the Arrow are John Diggle and Oliver Queen, though Wild Dog and Ragman haven't been "too bad". I grew to dislike Felicity in S3 and S4 with her melodrama.

I don't think the 'OG' Arrow team will be topped. S1 and S2 were really the best tbh.

Curtis is such a POS character, i'm finding it difficult to take the new arrow team seriously because of him. His character was interesting for like 2 seconds last season.

They should have kept the arrow team small just felicity, diggle and wild dog.

T Dollarz

Yeah, Curtis is pretty bad as they try to make him a hero. He was cooler when he was just kind of spelling Felicity as the tech guy.

Sober

I gave this review a chance and read it in full but it was more or less nonspecific about why they didn't like S5 (it still has its flaws) and more about Olicity being the best thing ever and why they have to be subjected to them being apart and finding each other again.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned and reviews should really address specifics and how the writer feels about said specifics but that read like a rant and a very vague one at that, even if I completely understand I'm not even mildly a shipper.

Ricker

I feel like there's an extra swerve to be had with Artemis, like she's going triple agent, or is being duped by Prometheus over something. Just seems overly simplistic and also too early in the season for "Nope, bad guy all along".

Yep,watched the episode last night and thought the same thing...

Jonogunn

People who watch arrow on Netflix and skip the "previously on..." must be so confused as to why diggle's baby is suddenly a boy

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
People who watch arrow on Netflix and skip the "previously on..." must be so confused as to why diggle's baby is suddenly a boy

It'd take all of 10 seconds to google if they were, though.

What's more likely is that they just won't think about it and assume Diggle had a son in previous seasons.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

He ain't never told no lie.

It's a fucking tv show. I never understood the mindset of watching a show just for one fictional relationship in it. If the relationship was the core focus of the show, I'd sorta maybe get it...sorta...maybe...but this is a superhero show. Relationships are part of the mix but they're not the primary thing that drives the show.

What really sets off an alarm that someone is full of shit is when they say they want one particular relationship. Oliver's character can grow outside of being with Felicity. Felicity can grow outside of being with Oliver. These shippers claim that it's about the characters but it isn't. It's about wanting that one particular pairing.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wish they'd just make happy Olicity a thing and just fade it into the background. They're a couple. Cool. No drama. Olicity fan base can be appeased, everybody else gets to avoid seeing Felicity make that crying face. Win win.

CryptiK

I wish they'd just make happy Olicity a thing and just fade it into the background. They're a couple. Cool. No drama. Olicity fan base can be appeased, everybody else gets to avoid seeing Felicity make that crying face. Win win.
Or they can just avoid it entirely and have a good TV show. When olicity became a thing the show tanked big time. Now that its over its actually doing well.

ZeroX03

Banned
Or they can just avoid it entirely and have a good TV show. When olicity became a thing the show tanked big time. Now that its over its actually doing well.

What was so bad about Olicity in the first few episodes of S4?

The answer is nothing. I'll repeat it for the billionth time, people are upset about the drama that Olicity brings not the relationship itself. S5 wouldn't suddenly be bad if Felicity were with Oliver instead of Detective Dinky. S3 and S4 suffered from far more than just relationship drama too, you're just conflating the two unnecessarily.

CryptiK

What was so bad about Olicity in the first few episodes of S4?

The answer is nothing. I'll repeat it for the billionth time, people are upset about the drama that Olicity brings not the relationship itself. S5 wouldn't suddenly be bad if Felicity were with Oliver instead of Detective Dinky. S3 and S4 suffered from far more than just relationship drama too, you're just conflating the two unnecessarily.
A relationship between two main characters would require more drama. Thats the way CW works. Always needing a call back to "look they are in a relationship" vs no need for it at all.

Joni

Well at least he knew what was wrong about last season. Maybe the Olicity fanbase will get so offended and just leave. Also Olicity fans think this season is shit and without them there wouldnt be 100 episodes, fucking lol how delusional are these people.

This is a good moment to remind people that the seasons with the least relationship drama were also the least viewed ones, aka season 2 and season 5.

strafer

I can already assure you that it will be the lowest rated one, and that it has the least relationship drama of the pre-winter of any of the seasons.

Who cares as long as this season has beeb fucking aces.

Just cancel it and go Netflix.

Joni

Better not come into the Gilmore Girls thread with that attitude

Exception that proves the rule!
(It is only 4 episodes, even at 90 minutes that equates 7 episodes of one of their typical shows meaning it solves the bloat issue their shows usually have.)

Sölf

Because Netflix shows suck.

slTf82r.gif

(unless you are talking about the Marvel shows, I haven't seen them)

Grizzlyjin

The best "Netflix Original" shows I've seen weren't actually made by Netflix, but we're just foreign shows being distributed by them.

I enjoy House of Cards, Netflix Marvel, and Orange is the New Black. But I think they're all highly overrated. They have this veneer of being prestige level shows when they're really just more serial and better shot versions of network programming. Orange is the New Black isn't that much more clever than your Jane the Virgin or Crazy Ex. It just hooks into you more because it's constructed to make you want to watch back to back to back

Sephzilla

After the putrid dog shit season 3 (I enjoyed the overall League of Assassin's storyline - that was fantastic, but the acting and dialogue was fucking cringe) and 4 turned out to be, S5 has been re-markedly good so far.

However, Curtis really gets on my fucking nerves. Terrible character, as funny as cancer, and without a doubt the most useless vigilante.

The Flash appears to have better characters and actors overall - there is not a single character I dislike. Barry, Iris, Joe, Caitlin, Harrison Wells - they're all great! The only people who I actually like in the Arrow are John Diggle and Oliver Queen, though Wild Dog and Ragman haven't been "too bad". I grew to dislike Felicity in S3 and S4 with her melodrama.

I don't think the 'OG' Arrow team will be topped. S1 and S2 were really the best tbh.

I don't like S3 Harrison Wells though

Top Bottom