• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manu (and Katrina Law) will be at Hartford Comic Con this weekend. I cannot afford to go, but hopefully can absorb some of Manu's awesomeness from a few miles away while at work.

I finally caught up on this. Yay. Malcolm Merlin is apparently Captain Jack. Laurel was less annoying this season. Yay for canon bisexual character.

Only gripe is that there is no way Laurel could have drawn that bow. Has to be at least a 70 lb pull. With zero practice she wouldn't have been able to make it turn over. Blah.

I finally caught up on this. Yay. Malcolm Merlin is apparently Captain Jack. Laurel was less annoying this season. Yay for canon bisexual character.

Only gripe is that there is no way Laurel could have drawn that bow. Has to be at least a 70 lb pull. With zero practice she wouldn't have been able to make it turn over. Blah.

CW gonna CW.

70 lbs? Wow.

Laurel was tapping into past Ruby demon strength.

Arrow uses a Compound Bow though. I was under the impression that bow is much easier to draw on.

Edit: It also seems like a legit bow that she's drawing on. I mean they show the draw in wide shot and it's Katie pulling it the whole way. If Katie Cassidy could draw on it, then I don't see how Laurel couldn't.

Arrow uses a Compound Bow though. I was under the impression that bow is much easier to draw on.

Edit: It also seems like a legit bow that she's drawing on. I mean they show the draw in wide shot and it's Katie pulling it the whole way. If Katie Cassidy could draw on it, then I don't see how Laurel couldn't.
It's not easier to draw, per se, but with compound bows, once the bow is drawn, the mechanism holds it in place, so it feels weightless while you aim.

I doubt the actual prop bow is a 70 lbs draw.

She is the daughter of a cop. She probably followed a fair share of self-defense classes and the like.

Laurel did take quite a few self defense classes and holds her own a couple times in S1. But in S2, the writers kind of forgot all about that and made her seem pretty helpless. So it's confusing.

Wiktor

Laurel did take quite a few self defense classes and holds her own a couple times in S1. But in S2, the writers kind of forgot all about that and made her seem pretty helpless. So it's confusing.

Well..to be honest...the people she faced in S2 were a lot higher level than in S1. It's understandable that some defense classes can help you dispatch a goon. But a trained soldier or assassin? Lol..not gonna happen.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

I laughed at exactly this, but I let it slide.

Well..to be honest...the people she faced in S2 were a lot higher level than in S1. It's understandable that some defense classes can help you dispatch a goon. But a trained soldier or assassin? Lol..not gonna happen.

There was at least one time that she was put against a normal goon in S2 and was portrayed at a Lois Lane/Mary Jane level of damsel in the way that her attacks were shrugged off and she was ragdolled around. I think it was when Huntress came back?

I expect that against Mirakuru thugs and League members, she'd be ineffective.. but not against average ass people.

Tugatrix

70lbs? But that is a compound bow that does most of that job I assume it has a pull of 40lbs and shot like a 90lbs bow

uh did anybody remember when laurel's gun misfired (or ran out of bullets or whatever) in season 1? lmao shit was like something out of hot fuzz

70lbs? But that is a compound bow that does most of that job I assume it has a pull of 40lbs and shot like a 90lbs bow

You still have to have a ton of strength to get the cams to turn over and support the weight of the pull. I've been shooting for a long time and in peak health it was a struggle to pull a 70 lb bow. Right now I can't manage to pull a 30 :(

When people say a compound does most of the work they mean after the initial pull. It lets you aim at your leisure. Btw, 55-70 lbs is the usually the optimal for deer hunting, it's likely Oliver's bow would be higher than 70 :p

There is no way the prop bow had any weight on it honestly.

Wiktor

You still have to have a ton of strength to get the cams to turn over and support the weight of the pull. I've been shooting for a long a long time and in peak health it was a struggle to pull a 70 lb bow. Right now I can't manage to pull a 30 :(

When people say a compound does most of the work they mean after the initial pull. It lets you aim at your leisure. Btw, 55-70 lbs is the usually the optimal for deer hunting, it's likely Oliver's bow would be higher than 70 :p

God, this makes me want to give archery a go, at least for a while :D

Tugatrix

You still have to have a ton of strength to get the cams to turn over and support the weight of the pull. I've been shooting for a long a long time and in peak health it was a struggle to pull a 70 lb bow. Right now I can't manage to pull a 30 :(

I'm a bit of a noob about bows, but I had a 40 lb recurve bow and I didn't find it that difficult to pull as long as I used the muscles on my back to sustain the effort, so I assume that a compound would be as easy to use, guess I was wrong

Does this show feel like Smallville or a cheap teen sitcom in any way?

At first it's like a typical CW show trying to be Nolan Batman movie, but about halfway through the first season it starts really coming into its own.

It can still be dumb and it's still got some of the trappings of a CW/teen show, but it's really fun in a way that a ton of shows aren't, and it totally embraces being a comic book show.

strafer

Dean requires only the best.

But he already have the best.

vWIhSBO.jpg

I haven't even had the urge to watch the last two episodes of the season. I guess I am one of the few that greatly prefer season one......

overall I think s2 was better than s1, but I was disappointed with the 3part finale for Arrow s2. So many things were wrong, so many things could have been better that it took away alot of the suspension of disbelief that was easily in place for the rest of the season.

From nuking the city, to beating up Mirakuru thugs, to the compound bow, to the scene skips and the assumptions made because of them.

But I know s3 will be good... or so I hope.
I was surprised to see that shortly after AoS found it's stride, Arrow started to lose it's step.
hopefully they can both be pedal to the metal next season and both end on good notes.

Howard Hill ("arguably," though there's no argument from me, the best archer in the last century) used a bow with a draw of 120 lbs. or so. I would honestly expect Green Arrow to be better than him and to use a bow that's at least comparable. This is doubly true when you consider that Green Arrow "cheats" by using a compound bow (Hill used standard recurves only).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah... S2 was damn good until it kind of tripped over itself near the finale. I enjoyed it a great deal despite the lack of hilarious gifs (that's a good thing in itself, I guess), but I could have done with a more refined second half. S1 was more even in that regard.

Yeah... S2 was damn good until it kind of tripped over itself near the finale. I enjoyed it a great deal despite the lack of hilarious gifs (that's a good thing in itself, I guess), but I could have done with a more refined second half. S1 was more even in that regard.

It's not.

Hilarious GIFs were replaced with Swag GIFs.

I'm a bit of a noob about bows, but I had a 40 lb recurve bow and I didn't find it that difficult to pull as long as I used the muscles on my back to sustain the effort, so I assume that a compound would be as easy to use, guess I was wrong

I'm also coming from the perspective of a girl who doesn't lift weights :p

I've always found recurve and straight bows to be easier than compound, but that might just be me.

Wiktor

Well, important thing to note: Arrow is very pulpy. Person of Interest is not.

Yep. Arrow aproaches it as superhero pulp, while PoI does it techno-thriller style.

That said, both are episodic, with cases of the week bleeding into bigger narrative. Both put large focus on saving people and having kick-ass villains, and both have kickass action.

They're not the same, but I can't imagine somebody liking Arrow and not liking PoI, even if it might not work the other way around.

With the lack of TV last week I decided it check out Orphan Black, only took me a couple days to get through the first season and catch up of course that only has four episodes left in its season to the cycle will start again in a month with another show I'll be waiting to come back. It's always fun with all these shows produced in Canada to see the same actors/actresses and sometimes locations popping up across a bunch of different shows.

Kikarian

Just watched the latest episode. That was great!

Thea becoming a villain alongside Merlyn is going to be good. (It's most likely going to happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom