• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I will neither shit nor giggle.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

Wiktor

Yeah, Amells Arrow would be vastly inferior to Batman (who is like him, only better trained, better equipped and bezter prepared.)

You say that, but I can imagine Oliver coming to Gotham, being terrified as the shit that's going there and just saying "fuck it" and just put an arrow through every supervillains heart :D

That said, I do prefer CW to be left alone and just do their own thing, building their own universe with full freedom. I'm fine with Arrow and Flash being TV's World Finest as I doubt the relationship between Supes and Batfleck will be anywhere near as strong

Mario007

You say that, but I can imagine Oliver coming to Gotham, being terrified as the shit that's going there and just saying "fuck it" and just put an arrow through every supervillains heart :D

That said, I do prefer CW to be left alone and just do their own thing, building their own universe with full freedom. I'm fine with Arrow and Flash being TV's World Finest as I doubt the relationship between Supes and Batfleck will be anywhere near as strong

Or since looking at the Flash Pilot and
Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline
what if DC introduced the concept of mutliverse between the films and the CWverse and then did a major crossover at the end? That would certainly be one way to beat Marvel with something they haven't done.

Magwik

Banned
what if DC introduced the concept of mutliverse between the films and the CWverse and then did a major crossover at the end? That would certainly be one way to beat Marvel with something they haven't done.

The Movieverse is a parallel universe to Arrowverse. It's perfect.

Wiktor

Yeah. I thought about it too and it could work.

The Movieverse is a parallel universe to Arrowverse. It's perfect.

This is good enough for me.

And I hope they never cross cause the multiverse would implode.

the dream is dead.

also he said Batman v Superman.. not Justice League...CAN STILL HAPPEN YOU GUYS

Well, Justice League does happen after the supposed fifth and final season of Arrow, that could be perfect timing. It would also be after the 3rd season of The Flash.

It would be pretty cool if the end of those seasons led into Man of Steel. But it would also be nice to let the CW shows do their own thing as well.

Chariot

I doubt that his arrow could even penetrate Joker's fan-favorite armor :D
And they stole a lot of Batman villains already.
Sound reasonable. Would work very well actually.

Joni

why cant the Stephen play green arrow in justice league same goes for the guy who plays the flash
Green Arrow usually isn't a member of the Justice League anyway, I think he is a member of Justice League of America at the moment.

Yeah, Amells Arrow would be vastly inferior to Batman (who is like him, only better trained, better equipped and bezter prepared.) and we don't even wannastart about Superman. Plus it would mean that Man of Steel happened in the arrowverse. What would devalue a lot of stuff. Who cares about the Glades when FRIGGN SUPERIOR ALIENS attacked us and we dont know what other shit is lurking in space.
We don't know anything about Affleck's Batman. Amell's Arrow is inferior to comic Batman, but Affleck's Batman could be too. He sure isn't going to be going toe to toe with Superman.

Chariot

We don't know anything about Affleck's Batman. Amell's Arrow is inferior to comic Batman, but Affleck's Batman could be too. He sure isn't going to be going toe to toe with Superman.
I don't think that they would make Batman in Batman v Superman inferior to Superman. Raging Batman fans aside, it's would be weird if Batman were just Sups pointy eared Robin.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

I had the same thought. The cool thing is they could still use actors from the TV shows, just as alternate reality versions of the characters without any of the baggage. I'd be totally cool with having Amell and Manu Bennett being in the movies and those being the only things take from the show.

DC just don't know what they do at this point. The pointless and inconsequent New 52 reboot, letting Cartoon Network killing DC shows, those movie mess to catch up with Marvel, crossovers in crossovers after making a crossover, fiering most of the female stuff, denying Gail Simone from Batgirl via email... I don't want even know who runs this company.

i like DC & Marvel

but thoose new DC movies seemed rushed rushed & rushed some more

the hole thing going to be a train wreck

Wiktor

To me the most boneheaded decision DC made was denying Hickman an opportunity to write the sequel novel to Wayne of Gotham because supposedly it would risk one author monopolizing Batman book adaptations..wtf...

Oh, well..they're kicking ass in tv shows, animation and videogames. Plus plenty of good comics are getting released too. They just need better movies, but I think BvS is a step in the right direction, instead of blindly apeing what works for Marvel

Chariot

To me the most boneheaded decision DC made was denying Hickman an opportunity to write the sequel novel to Wayne of Gotham because supposedly it would risk one author monopolizing Batman book adaptations..wtf...

Oh, well..they're kicking ass in tv shows, animation and videogames. Plus plenty of good comics are getting released too. They just need better movies, but I think BvS is a step in the right direction, instead of blindly apeing what works for Marvel
Isn't BvS essentielly apeing what works for Marvel? DC should've taken another direction, they already have too many character in that one film from which only Superman is established. Even the Batman is new after all. Marvel took their time and several single movies for every character. And they played it straight.
It would've been interesting if DC had build their crossover movies from the Nolanverse. Just imagine a relative realistic first approach without aliens and magic and slowly adding comic science and then magic and aliens, slowly growing into the fantastic. Like Arrow does, just for the whole DC movie universe.

Wiktor

Isn't BvS essentielly apeing what works for Marvel? .

Nope. It's apeing their animation way. Marvel follows extremely strict guideline with giving each A-list hero a standalone movie and then putting them into one group movie, before reseting everything.

Meanwhile DC seems to be just doing whatever they think will work for particular story. There are no strict phases to wait for team up. You can have standalone movies, but also smaller team up movies or buddy flicks with two heroes with some other cameos. There's no strict scheudle there.

Chariot

Nope. It's apeing their animation way. Marvel follows extremely strict guideline with giving each A-list hero a standalone movie and then putting them into one group movie, before reseting everything.

Meanwhile DC seems to be just doing whatever they think will work for particular story. There are no strict phases to wait for team up. You can have standalone movies, but also smaller team up movies or buddy flicks with two heroes with some other cameos. There's no strict scheudle there.
That actually sounds bad.
I rather have some structure.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Arrow producers taking over writing duties on Green Arrow comic:

http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-producers-new-writers-green-arrow-dc-comics-cw-tv/

Funny thing about that article, Ollie being a dick was the number one draw to the tv show for me. I enjoyed the stubborn and arrogant season 1 anti-hero with anger issues and a loose trigger finger. Show is getting more and more boring as Ollie becomes more and more of a standard Superman/Batman, "I never kill and I'm such a serious good dude plain old hero."

Eh. He's not lying about playing the definitive versions of the characters. I'm much more excited to see CW build up their DC universe than what the films are doing. Especially with how good the Flash pilot was and how awful Man of Steel turned out.

Yeah I'm hella excited for the Flash. Superhero TV shows in general have always been more interesting to me than the standalone films; there's just not enough time in a film to give the characters' their proper due IMO.

Wiktor

That actually sounds bad.
I rather have some structure.

Meh. I don't. I;m not sure if I would ever want to see a Flash or Green Lanter movie, but a team up with them? Hell yeah. Plus it means not having to wait years for epic team ups.

Wiktor

Funny thing about that article, Ollie being a dick was the number one draw to the tv show for me. I enjoyed the stubborn and arrogant season 1 anti-hero with anger issues and a loose trigger finger. Show is getting more and more boring as Ollie becomes more and more of a standard Superman/Batman, "I never kill and I'm such a serious good dude plain old hero."

I don't know man. I think stopping Roy with an Arrow to the knee was the most dickish thing he ever did :D

So far they seem to be handling the transition well. I also hate the "no kill rule".. but with Arrow it seems it's not an absolute one. As long as he breaks it from time to time I will be happy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Yeah I'm hella excited for the Flash. Superhero TV shows in general have always been more interesting to me than the standalone films; there's just not enough time in a film to give the characters' their proper due IMO.

Sociopath Ollie from season one was pretty fun. Like him giving lectures about how killing is wrong. The constant lying, it was always a blast. I gotta respect the show for growing his character. Making the transition vigilante to hero is the big theme of the show and they've handled it well.

And I agree. I have more fun with these shows than I think I'd get out of a two hour movie every 2-3 years.

DeSo

Banned
I'm so fucking happy my bro and GAF sung this shows praises otherwise I never would have watched it. In-fucking-credible. I dunno how they top season 2, I just don't know. Wow.

Mario007

When was it mentioned first last year that Flash was being developed? I just wonder if we still might be hearing about another superhero show in the CWerse or is it too late for that for next year?

season 2 was cool but that finale was really disappointing. weak fights, boring resolution. they built up deathstroke all season (and slade for like the entire series) and he had an underwhelming final confrontation.

merlyn was much better. i think this might be pretty cool tho if they get thea to go full-heel.

Wiktor

season 2 was cool but that finale was really disappointing. weak fights, boring resolution. they built up deathstroke all season (and slade for like the entire series) and he had an underwhelming final confrontation.

merlyn was much better. i think this might be pretty cool tho if they get thea to go full-heel.

You prefered S1's final Merlyn fight over Deathstroke one? That not a popular opinion :D

Wiktor

When was it mentioned first last year that Flash was being developed? I just wonder if we still might be hearing about another superhero show in the CWerse or is it too late for that for next year?
End of July 2013. Altough I wouldn't expect it this early this time if it happens. I imagine they would rather first wait to see how well Flash is doing. It's obvious they are working on more (rumors are about Hourman, Young Justice, plus they could get back to Deadman), but I doubt they will make any official annoucements before Flash proves to be success.

Of course they might surprise us with some nugget at ComicCon.

ReiGun

I did. But that was one show. But I doubt that this will be working with movies full of different directors, writers and staffs with different minds and techniques.

It's how it works in the comics themselves. You can have heroes team up in one book under one creative team, but all also having their own solo adventures with their own flavor and style in their solo books. Hell, their top three characters exist in different genres (Superman = sci-fi, Batman = pulp/detective noir, Wonder Woman = fantasy).

Besides, we're talking about major Hollywood motion pictures here. I'm sure there will be some studio oversight to keep everyone in line...same way comics have editors to make sure shit doesn't get too out of hand.

Chariot

It's how it works in the comics themselves.
Oh dear.
The comics are a mess. Kind fo hypocritical here, since I still buy this shit, but at least I say with confidence that things are mess. I am reading mostly in the Batman enviroment, but I read most of the bigger crossovers like Forever Evil.
I still don't know why they have to change constant writers and artists, sometimes in the middle of a story arc. Completed Elseworld Stories or things like the Secret Six run completely written by Gail Simone or Ruckas Checkmate, where one head stayed there were great.

And I have no confidence in Hollywood. We saw enough single movies from there that didn't even work with themselves. There are hacks like Shymaladingdong and look what he did to Avatar.

I am not angry because I want to hate this movies. I am angry because I am sacred that DC can't deliever and drive their franchises against a wall, because they hastiliy trying to copy Marvel.

ReiGun

Oh dear.
The comics are a mess. Kind fo hypocritical here, since I still buy this shit, but at least I say with confidence that things are mess. I am reading mostly in the Batman enviroment, but I read most of the bigger crossovers like Forever Evil.
I still don't know why they have to change constant writers and artists, sometimes in the middle of a story arc. Completed Elseworld Stories or things like the Secret Six run completely written by Gail Simone or Ruckas Checkmate, where one head stayed there were great.

And I have no confidence in Hollywood. We saw enough single movies from there that didn't even work with themselves. There are hacks like Shymaladingdong and look what he did to Avatar.

I am not angry because I want to hate this movies. I am angry because I am sacred that DC can't deliever and drive their franchises against a wall, because they hastiliy trying to copy Marvel.

If you only read one character, how can you say they're "a mess?" I read books from both Marvel and DC featuring multiple characters and comics are super easy to follow right now. There should be no problem applying that structure - solo adventures are their own thing, but still clearly in the same sphere - to movies. It's exactly what everyone is applauding Marvel for right now; applying their publishing style to film using the 1940's Hollywood structure.

They change writers and artists because that's how the biz works. If they didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation because Green Arrow comics would have stopped being published 50-60 years ago (whenever his creators left) and there'd be no show. :p

Hollywood is not some singular entity, but a system made up of thousands of people and moving parts. Sometimes those people make good decisions that lead to good movies, sometimes they don't. It's the nature of things.

It's funny when people say "DC is copying Marvel" when the main reason people are so upset at WB is that they aren't copying Marvel. They're not doing solo movies that lead into a team up. They're doing what is essentially a trilogy with Superman at the center that concludes in Justice League. The only thing the two have in common is "superheroes are in these movies."

Chariot

When I say "mostly" that means that I focus on Gotham, but that doesen't exclude other series. I am disappointed that you can spin "mostly Batman enviroment" into "only Batman".

And I think you're not reading my text properly, because I am pretty sure that I made some keypoints pretty clear. I mostly grieved about writers and artists changing mid-arc. I am not against multiple writer, but please keep one story coherent, like 52. And yes, randomly changing them mid-arc is a biz thing, a biz thing that should not be.

Hollywood is not some singular entity, but a system made up of thousands of people and moving parts. Sometimes those people make good decisions that lead to good movies, sometimes they don't. It's the nature of things.
Again: I said that I am scared that it could get bad, not that it will. I am hardly a fortune teller.
It's funny when people say "DC is copying Marvel" when the main reason people are so upset at WB is that they aren't copying Marvel. They're not doing solo movies that lead into a team up. They're doing what is essentially a trilogy with Superman at the center that concludes in Justice League. The only thing the two have in common is "superheroes are in these movies."
Different means not necessary better. As far as my imagination goes, those are fare too many unknown characters in the movie for the audience. They don't want only make the comiccrowd happy. The audience knows superman, they know batman (although this Batman has to be introduced yet again, since we're not in the Nolanverse anymore). And then we get to Wonder Woman and it's getting difficult already. I just think that a movie can't handle all this characters without either getting a exposition dumb or sacrifying layers of their character.

If the movies proof me wrong, I will be quite pleased. But for now, I stay wary.

ReiGun

When I say "mostly" that means that I focus on Gotham, but that doesen't exclude other series. I am disappointed that you can spin "mostly Batman enviroment" into "only Batman".
That's...not really spin. lol If I said I "mostly stick with Superman stuff," the inclination would be to believe I read Superman and not much less. It's natural assumption.

And I think you're not reading my text properly, because I am pretty sure that I made some keypoints pretty clear. I mostly grieved about writers and artists changing mid-arc. I am not against multiple writer, but please keep one story coherent, like 52. And yes, randomly changing them mid-arc is a biz thing, a biz thing that should not be.
But writers don't change mid-arc nearly enough to declare the state of the biz "a mess." Artists can change more frequently, granted, but that's more due to art taking longer to produce than writing. It happened back in the day too, but house styles made it less noticeable.

And this still does nothing to refute that this style of storytelling doesn't work in film. Like I said, that's exactly what Marvel Studios is doing and it's paying off. Given the nature of the DCU (like I said, top three characters = three different genres), it would be a good move on WB/DC's part to try and similarily differentiate the films.

Again: I said that I am scared that it could get bad, not that it will. I am hardly a fortune teller. Different means not necessary better. As far as my imagination goes, those are fare too many unknown characters in the movie for the audience. They don't want only make the comiccrowd happy. The audience knows superman, they know batman (although this Batman has to be introduced yet again, since we're not in the Nolanverse anymore). And then we get to Wonder Woman and it's getting difficult already. I just think that a movie can't handle all this characters without either getting a exposition dumb or sacrifying layers of their character.

If the movies proof me wrong, I will be quite pleased. But for now, I stay wary.
Different doesn't necessarily mean worse either. Hell, sometimes different has nothing to do with quality; sometimes different is just different.

What are these characters that are soooo hard to explain and characterize that putting them in a movie somehow muddies the water? I say this as someone who loves this shit: superheroes, by design, are not that layered or hard to figure out. The JL show introduced John Stewart, Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, and Martian Manhunter all in the same episode with no problem and that was a kid's cartoon. These characters are not that tough to figure out; Zack Synder has even said they're not doing a full "introduction" for Batman again because everyone knows who Batman is and what he's about. Not to mention we don't even know what capacity all these heroes (really just three besides the titular characters) are even in the movie. All signs point to them just being short cameos.

I'm not even saying everyone should be excited for BvS because I'm even I'm wary of the film after MoS. But the reasoning behind the complaints toward the film often confounds me (outside of those who just don't like Zack Synder's directing, or maybe don't like the casting; that stuff I totally get).

Pein

Banned
Was it worth that sadness you get when you realise you have to wait months for the next episode like the rest of us?

Yes, You don't realize how good it is watching hour after hour until its gone. Now i feel empty and I can only hope Arrow is in the movie.

Also, Thea Queen is hot.

Wiktor

The main thing is: we really don't know if any of those characters will be all that important aside from Supes and Bats. Even WW is likely to be just a small side character. And the rest might be cameos or post credits sequence to set up Justice Leaue movie, in which case you can just as well start to complain Marvel introduced people like Thanos or Scarlet Witch without proper background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom