• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrow season 2 is what TDKR wanted to be, but it failed its city.

bane-gif.gif

Edit:

We need to keep a list of Oliver's villains alive and at large, alive and incarcerated, and dead.

Wiktor

dat ending though (gary oldman's eulogy, michael caine's mourning :( ). arrow can never have that emotional weight because at some point amell or one of the cw girls would ruin the scene.

I don't know man. At this point I care more about Oliver than I did about anyone in Nolan's Batmans and I can assure you death of Felicity or Diggle would wreck people emotionally to a point nothing Nolan ever did could ever hope to come close.

Yes, the movies had a lot better acting, but no ammount of acting can make 6 hours compare to over 40ty spent with certain characters.

Wiktor

Arrow season 2 is what TDKR wanted to be, but it failed its city.

Aside from the long siege part. Which is something I hope they might revisit in the future. Because the idea was great, but impossible to do good in one movie. Arrow could play around with it a lot more.

Plot wise Arrow is taking a lot from trilogy , but usually also improves significantly on it storywise. It's not just big things, but also small ones, like Oliver actually taking care of the "billionaire returns, vigilante appears at the same time? Coincidence?" thing Batman never cared about, which she should have. Or even him having actual voice modulator instead of growling like a drunk.

Aside from the long siege part. Which is something I hope they might revisit in the future. Because the idea was great, but impossible to do good in one movie. Arrow could play around with it a lot more.

Plot wise Arrow is taking a lot from trilogy , but usually also improves significantly on it storywise. It's not just big things, but also small ones, like Oliver actually taking care of the "billionaire returns, vigilante appears at the same time? Coincidence?" thing Batman never cared about, which she should have. Or even him having actual voice modulator instead of growling like a drunk.

Yeah, I think Arrow handles the ins and outs and the toll being a superhero takes better than the Nolan films, but that's simply the nature of the medium. With TV, we can take our time, movies not so much.

I wonder if they'll revisit the idea of a city under siege in a future season. That and SuperMAX would be so awesome.

I also want an episode where Oliver is poisoned and the entire episode consists of Oliver hallucinating an insane Count Vertigo mocking him while trying to stop a madman from blowing up the city.

I miss Count Vertigo

arrow_the_count_vertigo_gabel_2-thumb-330x219-109590.jpg

I'M COUNT VERTIGO AND I APPROVE THIS HIGH!

Wiktor

I wonder if they'll revisit the idea of a city under siege in a future season. That and SuperMAX would be so awesome.

What if the SuperMAX storyline ends up with not just Oliver breaking out, but also everybody else and the whole city gets separated from the rest of the world as result? Batman's No Man's Land?

What if the SuperMAX storyline ends up with not just Oliver breaking out, but also everybody else and the whole city gets separated from the rest of the world as result? Batman's No Man's Land?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet

That would be insane... but I can't see Oliver allowing any situation that has the potential for all the villains to be released.

But that would be insane. Though re: the SuperMAX thing, I can see ARGUS imprisoning Ollie on Lian Yu, and then him and Slade have to team up and survive again against all the enemies and former villains and new villains on the Island

yo forreal. it was almost nolan's mgs4. but the breaking of batman, the prison escape and the ending are all youtube-classic scenes.

Gonna agree to disagree. I know many people loved TDKR, but I hated it so much.

Bruce crying and moping about his girlfriend dying. Boo fucking hoo. He goes and hides for 8 years because she died. BULLSHIT. That should have only strengthened The Batman more. Those months or years after her death should have been the most terrifying for Gotham's criminals because Batman would have been a more holy terror than usual.
And Alfred abandoning Bruce? BULLSHIT. But maybe Alfred picked up on the fact that this Bruce Wayne turned into too big of a pussy and didn't want anything to do with him so he left town.

Sigh. I was so excited for the movie, but was nervous about it fumbling at the finish line. And it fumbled.

I do need to watch it again. I have not seen it since midnight opening night, and maybe time will make me feel better about it. I put a few months between my viewings of Man of Steel to see if they changed. Certain things pissed me off less on the second viewing, but other things bothered me more.

I really hope DC/WB gets their shit together in the feature films. I really do. But after the three strikes of Green Lantern - TDKR - Man of Steel, I dont have too much faith in them.

Thank god CW is there to give me strength for awesome live action DC stuff. Because Arrow is fucking awesome and based on the leaked pilot, Flash is off to a fantastic start.

I love Man of Steel and all of the Nolan films, but I dunno... the way that they're running the CW Arrow series, it works so much for me. I wanna see them expand even further. I wonder if they'll incorporate the upcoming Hourman and Avenger CW series into the Arrowverse.

That would be amazing if they can pull it off. Each series could coexist, but they'd each have a different tone and represent a different part of the superhero mythos. Though from what I'm reading, Hourman was still around when Amazon (Wonder Woman show) got scrapped, so who knows if it's any state to continue). As for Avenger... it was also in development last year, with a female lead too.

for the record that 'mgs4' comment was a slight against it lol

useless 'fan-service' scenes that call back to the prior films. how it ruined some prior plotlines as well

Avengers wasn't any better though. Everything leading up to that final battle is ass Whedon script and no emotional stakes

That was a bad year for comic book movies

Jigorath

Banned

Bruce crying and moping about his girlfriend dying. Boo fucking hoo. He goes and hides for 8 years because she died. BULLSHIT. That should have only strengthened The Batman more. Those months or years after her death should have been the most terrifying for Gotham's criminals because Batman would have been a more holy terror than usual.
And Alfred abandoning Bruce? BULLSHIT. But maybe Alfred picked up on the fact that this Bruce Wayne turned into too big of a pussy and didn't want anything to do with him so he left town.

It also ruins the ending of The Dark Knight.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Dark Knight".

Or you know, he's just going to retire for 8 years.

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Dark Knight".

Thank you.

tumblr_inline_mjznyqyNhD1r7k25l.gif

Anytime I watch The Dark Knight, it just makes me more annoyed about TDKR because of that speech you quoted. TDK had such a fan-fucking-tastic ending and speech that it set up a totally kick ass TDKR. And then they just threw it out the window for a mopey Bruce.

I could have believed him retiring cause his body was fucked up and he was losing it, but moping... Eh. Still liked the movie.

ReiGun

for the record that 'mgs4' comment was a slight against it lol

useless 'fan-service' scenes that call back to the prior films. how it ruined some prior plotlines as well

Avengers wasn't any better though. Everything leading up to that final battle is ass Whedon script and no emotional stakes

That was a bad year for comic book movies

But Amazing Spider-Man tho.

lol

Rachel dying isn't why Bruce stopped and he wasn't a recluse the entire eight years. Nolan Batman isn't comic/cartoon Batman level of militant crazy about fighting crime and with the idea of it being a "real" world his doing it the entire time would've been impossible.

B8OTh0t.jpg

Day 2 from AmellBook

Hmmm, introducing
WildCat
?

DeathyBoy

Banned
Rachel dying isn't why Bruce stopped and he wasn't a recluse the entire eight years. Nolan Batman isn't comic/cartoon Batman level of militant crazy about fighting crime and with the idea of it being a "real" world his doing it the entire time would've been impossible.

Maybe it's jujst me, but I always got the impression he did try continuing. It's just that the injuries got to him. In TDKR he doesn't see the doctor re: those injuries, it's an excuse to get into the hospital, and Bruce doesn't seem surprised by them. Seems to me that's pretty subtle 'he's a fighter who couldn't fight' motif going on.

If you watch TDKR as a boxing movie where the champ retired undefeated and broken down, then a new contender shows up and starts wrecking falls/calling the old champ out, it's a much betrter film.

And I guarantee you the JSA will show up eventually on Arrow/Flash.

That would be kind of awesome if they introduce as such. Still Caty Lotz is Black Canary. Leave it at that. Also does that mean Arrowverse is starting the
JSA. COIE anyone?

No. But there were a couple easter eggs from last season (that could be) about him.

I looked it up to refresh my memory
FiNvprC.jpg

"League Champion set to retire after a storied career takes him to all corners of the globe"

there were a few other easter eggs for potential future characters too.
some sort of demon creature on the side of bus or something and I believe there was another that I'm not too familiar with as well. Anyone remember?

Shaanyboi

Banned
I looked it up to refresh my memory
FiNvprC.jpg

"League Champion set to retire after a storied career takes him to all corners of the globe"

there were a few other easter eggs for potential future characters too.
some sort of demon creature on the side of bus or something and I believe there was another that I'm not too familiar with as well. Anyone remember?

Blue Devil

He's referred to as a fictional character in a movie rather than an actual character in this universe.

Blue Devil

He's referred to as a fictional character in a movie rather than an actual character in this universe.

But isn't that how his origin happens to begin with?
Stuntman in mechanical suit gets possessed/fused with some demon that traps him in the suit and makes it all very very real?

Shaanyboi

Banned
But isn't that how his origin happens to begin with?
Stuntman in mechanical suit gets possessed/fused with some demon that traps him in the suit and makes it all very very real?

Didn't know that! I'm not familiar with the character beyond his appearances on Young Justice and a handful of background appearances in comics. Well then, Blue Devil on Arrow, here we come :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom