• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode delivered everything. If they wanted this month wait for me to be a killer then they've succeeded. 2nd half of the season is going to deliver. There wasn't any doubt about it before this episode and I damn sure don't have any now!

I was gonna do a gif-by-gif breakdown of my reactions to this episode, but I decided that only one GIF summed it up:

PrhvOc7.gif

That may have been Arrow's finest hour, holy fuck. What a fantastic episode. It felt so much longer than 44 minutes, but in the best way humanly possible.

- Shado dying: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I didn't see that coming. Fuck, I was on the edge of tearing up. And then Slade cradling her body at the end with her blood all over his face. Yeesh.

- Present Day Slade Reveal: Holy fuck. HOOOOOOOOOOLY FUCK. I accidentally clicked on this thread, so I was actually spoiled hours ago, but when watching it, I completely forgot and was so absorbed by what was happening. And his monologue was so chilling. Holy shit.

- Blood dating Laurel (needed a gif for this one).

tumblr_mwkts07qxZ1qbsh19o2_250.gif

- Roy getting superpowers. Be interesting to see where they go with this. Guess he's gonna be a superpowered junkie? Also, LOL at Ollie's first aid at the start. "It's a long story."

- Barry was great in this episode. The final scene with him was actually fantastic. I was really nervous about them introducing superpowers, but I think they've got me convinced they can hack it. I loved how the scene played, with the particle accelerator (so, it wasn't just a red herring!), the lightning, the chemicals. So much potential with the Flash series now. I'm assuming that all the powers we'll see will be derived from the particle accelerator incident. It's a good way of introducing flashier powers, but keeping it grounded in a tech-oriented way. It's also a good way of confining all the superpowered villains in Central, while leaving the insane/criminal villains in Starling. So Flash will be basically the lone superpowered cop policing a city potentially drowning in dangerous, powered people. Potential.

- TOMMY OH MY GOD I KNEW IT. His appearance was so awesome. I really like that actor.

- Oliver kicking the shit out of Cyrus Gold. Fuck yeah, great moment. Fucking overdrive.

- Felt bad for Quentin. His entire unit got wiped out. It was cliched, but Blackthorne played that loss really well.

- Rat poison! They used rat poison to cure Ollie!

- Slade as a boss, that still blows me away. And Blood, working for Slade!? Damn. Man, Alejandros just straight up looks like a villain. It's those eyes.

- The mask. I'll admit... that was a great moment. Loved that the Flash crafted the Arrow's mask. It actually does look really good on Amell. I also liked that Oliver gave an actual good explanation for splattering paint on his eyes. That made sense.

- Shado :( Ivo gonna die. The Slade/Shado thing seemed to happen fast, but I'll allow it. The writers are doing so excellent.

Now superpowers are officially in,right? NotTheGuy Am Cry

As long as the superpowers aren't hilariously overpowered god-tier powers, I will be okay, I think. I really did love how that final scene with Barry played out. The effects were excellent.

in DC comics lore, Starling City is supposed to be somewhere in the Pacfic Northwest and Central city in the midwest.

Wooooo Pacific Northwest represent!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, that episode. I've always felt like Arrow had potential but never reached the highs it should be reaching. First season was lacking in more than one way, most of the time I found it to be merely 'ok', to the point where I was about to stop watching altogether.
But this season has been better, and the latest episode really stepped things up, to the point where I consider it to be one of the best tv series around right now, especially if you're into superhero stuff. I just hope they can keep it going at this level, kind of worried they won't but we'll see.

wildfire

Banned
This episode had too many awesome and cringe inducing moments. This show does not fuck around at all. I thought we wouldn't see Deathstroke until season 4.

Slade wants to corrupt Felicity? Nope not till I'm done doing that haha

Deathstroke is a pro. He'll run circles around your amateur hour narration.

back to the Awesome that was the rest of the episode, except the party where Roy somehow was 100% recovered and back in running shape moments after Diggle patched him up with the first aid kit. But I'm willing to move past that too.

Miraku has significant healing properties. Remember how Slade had half his body burned but showed no traces after he revived himself?

Replicant

Slade's revelation was the part that impressed me the most because it's a play on the old "There's a thin line between love and hate". It's really tragic that Oliver's close friend now ends up becoming his enemy. His last monologue about wanting to tear everything Oliver cares for before putting an arrow into his eyes was perfect.

Dunlop

Miraku has significant healing properties. Remember how Slade had half his body burned but showed no traces after he revived himself?

He was running before being dosed with the drug

I'm obviously a wimp as I still have a limp from spraining my ankle over a month ago :p

rakhir

Yeah, this episode was fantastic, as we all suspected.

I've got a question for you guys: do you think we are approaching the end of island flashbacks? We know that there will be shit happening on the boat, where Ollie will be again separated from Sara (Ivo will die, Slade will get his eye injury), and that will probably be the end of that story. Ollie will be staying on the island alone from that point.

I don't think we'll going to have the island in S3.

Rokam

Yeah, this episode was fantastic, as we all suspected.

I've got a question for you guys: do you think we are approaching the end of island flashbacks? We know that there will be shit happening on the boat, where Ollie will be again separated from Sara (Ivo will die, Slade will get his eye injury), and that will probably be the end of that story. Ollie will be staying on the island alone from that point.

I don't think we'll going to have the island in S3.

The island story will run until season 5 at the very least. Oliver still has to leave the island at some point, learn Russian, become more skilled with a bow, etc.

Wiktor

The island story will run until season 5 at the very least. Oliver still has to leave the island at some point, learn Russian, become more skilled with a bow, etc.

I imagine they might leave the island for a while and then go back. But yeah..5 years flashbacks were confirmed.

Also...I wonder if there's Lazarus Pit on the island. Oliver clearly knew about League of Assassin's long before he met Sarah in Starling.

I'm hoping they will eventually ressurect Shado in there. I mean, he did get matching tatoo with her. Would be pretty weird if he did it long time after her death.

Rokam

Also...I wonder if there's Lazarus Pit on the island. Oliver clearly knew about League of Assassin's long before he met Sarah in Starling.

I'm hoping they will eventually ressurect Shado in there. I mean, he did get matching tatoo with her. Would be pretty weird if he did it long time after her death.

Well remember when they panned out and there was some structure. I'm hoping we get to know what the fuck was up with that by the end of the season.

kazebyaka

Banned
Fantastic episode, had goosebumps when they revealed Slade. Flash's origins was done well too, i liked explosion and rain and all that. Awesome. I wonder how this show got so good so quickly. If it continue to improve with every episode, it'll be legendary.

That was an amazing episode. The fact that I'm only slightly versed in DC lore means that I don't recognize characters when referred to by their real name, but as soon as the "Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday.." bit came up, I had a huge grin on my face. I had no Idea that's who that was. So awesome.

Everything about that midseason was stellar. Now I want that Flash spin off ASAP. I hope we get it by the end of next year.

Awww yiss. I'm loving this show now. Considering I didnt care enough to watch the 2nd half of last season, I think thats saying something. I guess bringing in the superpowers and comic references got me. Cant wait for that Flash series.

DieH@rd

Banned
Fuckawesome episode. Bravo. Deathstroke reveal was magnificent, together with Flash lightning strike.

- Roy laying there in Thea's room with the arrow lmao
- I love how Sin just has a spare bottle of liquor on her
- "MIRAKURU," says Dr. Ivo
- Ivo playing some weirdass death game out of nowhere...
- getting shot in the head runs in the Yao family I guess... god damn... rip shado
- I really like Grant Gustin
- I literally thought Blood and Laurel walking together with those shopping bags was another Kays Jewelry commercial for a second
- So Laurel is dating Blood. Fuck you, Arrow Writers, you god damn bums
- lmao Max's file... "MIRACURU"
- Oliver is so insane he's hallucinating his dead friend and having it tell him everything he wants to hear; that's pretty fucked up when you think about it
- SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE :eek:
- Slade wants to Rafa Felicity... oh man
- omg FLAAAAAAAASH; that sound when the particle accelerator went boom and flashed across the city sounded almost like a person's scream. anyone notice that? could that have something to do with some comic stuff?

awesome ep; pretty hyped about The Flash show now

Yeah. Explosion sounded normal, but the shockwave almost carried scream. It could be nothing I guess.

jordisok

Such a shame that Laurel seems to be used only to date plot movers at the moment :\

Manu Bennett though! Continues to be a great casting, the kinda character needed that can steal scenes away from Oliver. I feel Diggle is kinda in the same boat, yeah he's the driver but he actually manages to add real weight to the cheesey/wise advice lines.

I hope theres a damn good reason he actually grows the hobo beard. Hes maintained model stubble for a good two years now its a little funny he seems to go completely native at some point.

I hate that they are introducing Solomon Grundy. My least favorite DC character by FAR. Brother Blood seducing Laurel is going to make for some great fanfic. The particle accelerator will be Flash's equivalent to Milestone's Bang Babies. Can't wait for development to get underway, like casting Iris and Patty. It will be interesting to see what the tone will be since it should definitely be whimsical in nature and lighter than most everything on the CW.

Rock Over London
Rock On Chicago
The CW
TV Now

Tabby

And there's still more to be revealed.

>Amanda makes an offer.
>A better use for that clock tower.
>What is the question you should have asked?
>Ollie is not the first vigilante.
>A blank expression.
>“Archer”.
>“Rise”.

A month is way too long.

Effect

This show is amazing. I don't like how they handled Shado's death. If this beef Slade has with Ollie is over Shado then I don't understand, because Ollie loved her just as much as he did.

Ollie made a mistake not speaking up, can't say I blame him after just watching Slade rip a guys heart out.

The way that scene looked it was as if he was trying to sacrifice himself so both Shado and Sara could live. Sara lied saying she didn't know why Ivo killed her instead of saying he tried to make Ollie choose and he couldn't. I think that might have been the smart decision at that moment if she did recognize Ollie was trying to save them both as it was clear he did and does still care about both. Slade wouldn't have cared though and would have only cared if he was trying to save Shado only as he likely gives a damn about Sara.

I don't like possible implication that this could be what sets him off on wanting to kill Ollie on the island and now in the present time. The whole thing seems way to lopsided even if you factored in the lying that is likely to take place. Ollie didn't do anything wrong I think. Though of course like the island has shown us maybe there was clearly something else that adds to it.

Penguin

I loved everything about that episode except the forced Grundy line.

Diggle: "What about Cyrus!?"
Ollie: "Died on a Saturday, buried on a Sunday"

Me: ...but Ollie, it's Wednesday.

I'm sorry but that line was just do out of place, there had to be a better way to include the Grundy line or hint than that. At least it went by quickly like they just wanted to get post it and hurry back to the Awesome that was the rest of the episode, except the party where Roy somehow was 100% recovered and back in running shape moments after Diggle patched him up with the first aid kit. But I'm willing to move past that too.

I thought it was a callback to when Diggle found him.
It was a cute moment.

Slade reveal was fucking magnificent.

The way that scene looked it was as if he was trying to sacrifice himself so both Shado and Sara could live. Sara lied saying she didn't know why Ivo killed her instead of saying he tried to make Ollie choose and he couldn't. I think that might have been the smart decision at that moment if she did recognize Ollie was trying to save them both as it was clear he did and does still care about both. Slade wouldn't have cared though and would have only cared if he was trying to save Shado only as he likely gives a damn about Sara.

I don't like possible implication that this could be what sets him off on wanting to kill Ollie on the island and now in the present time. The whole thing seems way to lopsided even if you factored in the lying that is likely to take place. Ollie didn't do anything wrong I think. Though of course like the island has shown us maybe there was clearly something else that adds to it.

Yup. I feel like Shado's death was more than a bit contrived, even cheap. Ivo deciding to be randomly crazy and pull a Sophie's Choice, the multiple love triangle factor, etc. She just ends up being a vessel for male conflict. I have a feeling I'm not going to like how Diggle eventually goes out either.

X-Frame

Such a great episode for all the reasons already listed here.

I also am hoping they use the same music for Barry on his own show because I think it is perfect and really gives sort of a fantasy/magic vibe if that makes any sense, and fits his character very well.

1 month until this returns and 1 year until the Flash show? Will be 2 long waits!

wildfire

Banned
http://io9.com/arrow-gives-us-the-villain-and-hero-weve-been-waitin-1481742061

This wasn't what you'd call a funny episode, but I had some private hilarity. If you recall, last episode they drugged Barry, and hauled him to the Arrowcave. Why they did this, I don't know. Supposedly they did it because he needs to cure Ollie of whatever drug got stuck in Ollie's thigh last week. Realistically, Barry is not a doctor. He can't help. So when he says things like, "I can think of four different diagnoses," I laugh and laugh and also think of four diagnoses. (I came up with flu, syphilis, fluphilis, and syphloo. Be fair. My guess is as good as Barry's.) Barry finds out that Ollie's blood is coagulating inside him. Felicity says, "But you can save him, right," and I want, so much, for Barry to say, "No, Felicity. I can't. I'm not a doctor." Instead, it's even better. He gives Ollie a dose of anticoagulant in the form of rat poison. This leads Ollie to say the line that makes me laugh until I snort nutella up my nose, "The rat poison you gave me — are there any side effects?"

Ollie is hallucinating three dead people. First there's Shado, who tells him to live. I don't know why she would bother, because during island flashback, Ivo makes Ollie chose whether Shado or Sarah will be killed. Given the choice between the woman who is currently his girlfriend, is a valuable and trusted ally, and has saved Ollie's life while teaching him martial arts, and the woman who has betrayed him multiple times, Ollie falls on his knees in front of Sarah. That is some blond solidarity, right there.

LOL

Tabby

F56bYp9.jpg

This beard. We've seen it before.

Not this beard:
tumblr_lj4beq3xDK1qzmrzeo1_500.jpg

But I do hope we get the latter one eventually.

I've noticed Shado's Island green hood doesn't have any sleeves.
I'm guessing in Season 4 and 5 Oliver will look a lot more like his old comics, sleeveless hood with the beard and all.

Omega

Banned
after watching the absolutely atrocious Sons of Anarchy season finale, then watching Arrow.

that seems like the greatest episode in TV history.

anyone have a time machine? I just want to wake up and it be January 15th already

DieH@rd

Banned

This can be adapted nicely into Barry looking up into "New Thread" button, and turning around to look into Bish. :D

Why no gifs of Deathstroke in Starling City?

Too many supers around Ollie is going to make him look like a bitch on his own show.

Green Arrow was always ordinary man with "peak human physical condition". He solves his battles with innovative use of bow, extreme accuracy and martial arts.

Wag

I'm not sure I like the Miracuru thing. It doesn't really fit in with the DCU, it seems more Marvel/Super-Soldier Serum to me. It would have been better had they discovered a Venom pre-cursor or something like that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That was absolutely sensational. Slade & Flash! Can't wait until January for the return of the season!

What date in Jan is it?

MartyStu

So are they going to pull a full on Batman with Arrow? If not, then how in the hell do they intend to Ollie face down super powered foes with arrows?

Time for more outlandish trick arrows perhaps?

Tabby

So are they going to pull a full on Batman with Arrow? If not, then how in the hell do they intend to Ollie face down super powered foes with arrows?

Time for more outlandish trick arrows perhaps?
Maybe that's going to be one of the reasons for recruiting Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom