• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy2112

But they had superman returns/smallville concurrently. But i suppose you could argue he wasn't really superman.

DC is kinda bi-polar about it too. Sometimes they relax it or allow it to be ignored, and other times they hold firm to the idiotic idea that it would "confuse audiences," like people couldn't tell that the Batman rogues gallery appearing in the Justice League cartoon was different from the movie characters. Plus they allowed part of that rule to be ignored by including Joker in a number of episodes.

CryptiK

Smallville was actually at risk of being forced to end but Singer apparently went to bat to allow the show to stay alive and even let them use some assets/designs as we saw. Nolan likely isn't to blame for Batman/Bruce Wayne not showing up on Smallville, that's most likely Michael Uslan as he, like that brain dead d-bag Jon Peters with Superman film rights somehow managed to get a hold of the media rights to Batman.
It was part of DC's Bat-Embargo
http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Bat-embargo
It was a WB decision as they felt that having Batman or his rogues gallery in another show would confuse people. The only reason I can see that Smallvillie kept going was that Clark wasn't "Superman" in that show. They have had embargos with other major franchises as well.

ReiGun

It should be noted that both Warner and DC have changed quite a bit since the time of Smallville and Begins. Particularly in the area of management. The old embargo policies may not carry the kind of weight they used to.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
It should be noted that both Warner and DC have changed quite a bit since the time of Smallville and Begins. Particularly in the area of management. The old embargo policies may not carry the kind of weight they used to.

If not completely lifted, they at least loosened the embargo. So far we've gotten a mention of Ra's and actual appearances of Deadshot, Firefly, Dollmaker, and the guy who is KGBeast.

Also, listening to the Amell interview and him talking about keeping on good people like EBR gives me hope for Caity Lotz.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It was a WB decision as they felt that having Batman or his rogues gallery in another show would confuse people. The only reason I can see that Smallvillie kept going was that Clark wasn't "Superman" in that show. They have had embargos with other major franchises as well.

I didn't know the Bat-bargo was a thing. Did DC/WB hate money? How do you reach the conclusion that putting the Joker in an animated show is going to confuse the viewers? How much of a clown do you have to be to approve of such idiocy?

Tabby

Flash getting his own TV Show, rumours of a Flash appearance in Batman vs Superman plus DC/WB hates having multiple versions of a superhero at the same time.
Hmmmm.

V_Arnold

I didn't know the Bat-bargo was a thing. Did DC/WB hate money? How do you reach the conclusion that putting the Joker in an animated show is going to confuse the viewers? How much of a clown do you have to be to approve of such idiocy?

Well, if you look at DC's other decisions regarding comics, we can conclude that they are not fully capable of handling their properties well. And that is an understatement. They are probably happy with the way Arrow turned out to be, but I can guarantee you that some execs fought hard against even this.

studyguy

Just finished Arrow S1 last night, and holy shit man.
That last fight was sort of staged cheesy with the obvious fake punches, but shit went down. Need to jump on that Season 2 ASAP, makes it seem like the whole god damn cast would change.

Just finished Arrow S1 last night, and holy shit man.
That last fight was sort of staged cheesy with the obvious fake punches, but shit went down. Need to jump on that Season 2 ASAP, makes it seem like the whole god damn cast would change.

Season 2 is leaps and bounds better than Season 1.

I'm familiar with the Bat-Embargo but Uslan's control over the media rights still plays a part. The rest is WB being run by idiots but that's been well known for a long time now.

Guys, Bat-embargo is dead
We went banning the use of most Batman villains on JL(to preserve them for Nolan) to blocking Batman from being on Smallville.
Even blocking Ra's, Talia, Two-Face and Scarecrow from his own dang cartoon.

To recently having Batman in TDKR, extensively in Young Justice, a separate series of video games, his own cartoon in development and multiple appearance/references on Teen Titans Go along with his appearances in just about every DTV from WB all at the same time.
Now with Ra's and his league being mentioned multiple times, it leaves little doubt.

Watched the interview early this morning.

A Boxing Glove inspired arrow seems like it should be simple enough to implement, shooting it might be tricky but the idea behind it should be based on bean-bag rounds that cops have access to for stopping people in a non-lethal manner. It just wouldn't be ridiculously big... Or shaped like a boxing glove.

Tabby

Watched the interview early this morning.

A Boxing Glove inspired arrow seems like it should be simple enough to implement, shooting it might be tricky but the idea behind it should be based on bean-bag rounds that cops have access to for stopping people in a non-lethal manner. It just wouldn't be ridiculously big... Or shaped like a boxing glove.

In the grounded world of Arrow?
Even though they're introducing powers, a boxing glove arrow still seems to comicbooky.

Skunkers

bean bag arrow that has explosive pellets that hit the intial target and everything in a 10 yard radius... yeah..

Sounds about right. He's used some trick arrows already; hacking arrow, flashbang arrow, audio bug arrow, those net tie-down arrows he used on the moneybags, etc.

How? Where does this come from?

When Ollie returned from the Island, he thought Sara was dead. Initially, we (the audience) thinks it's when she goes overboard during the shipwreck, but we know now that's not true.

At some point, something else is going to happen to make Ollie believe Sara "died". That's where the "again" comes from.

karasu

When Ollie returned from the Island, he thought Sara was dead. Initially, we (the audience) thinks it's when she goes overboard during the shipwreck, but we know now that's not true.

At some point, something else is going to happen to make Ollie believe Sara "died". That's where the "again" comes from.

Oh okay good. I thought he was hinting that she was going to die and be replaced by Laurel or something.

I said it wouldn't be shaped like a boxing glove but the idea behind it would be similar. It's an entirely reasonable way to implement it without going "comicbooky".

A new type of "concussion" arrow is created, able to knock someone on their ass. Someone makes a boxing/boxing glove joke, and there we go.

Arrow EP shrugs off comparisons to SHIELD.

Amell comments on it:

Stephen Amell said:
Yes... I do have a comment.

We are not in competition with other television shows. I realize Agents of SHIELD is an easy comparison, but it's also kind of lazy. We aren't trying to be the best comic book show, we're trying to be THE best hour of entertainment. Period.

There still seems to be a distinction that assumes television is somehow inferior to cinema... I think that's ridiculous. We embrace the rigors of an episodic schedule, use them to our advantage and churn out a kick ass product with a high degree of difficulty and virtually no margin for error. 966 minutes of programming every year.

I couldn't be prouder of what we do and that sense of accomplishment is based solely on the quality of our product, not the performance of anyone else's.

GrayFoxPL

I got into it again after injecting the hype from the thread directly into my veins.

It indeed got better, so I'll eat a crow. Crunch. Not a huge one because I still think Amell's acting is cringe worthy, I'm sorry guys. But yeah the show became more "comicky" in a good way, so events sped up nicely. Very nice stunts too.

Was the last episode 9th or did I miss something?

Show needs moar Thea ;P.

Ripclawe

Banned
We are not in competition with other television shows. I realize Agents of SHIELD is an easy comparison, but it's also kind of lazy. We aren't trying to be the best comic book show, we're trying to be THE best hour of entertainment. Period.

translation: We don't play to win division titles, we play to win championships . *drops mic*

Wiktor

Everybody concentrates on Ammell's Shield comment, but I find the movie comparision much more interesting. He's so right. Today TV is easily on the same level as movies. Heck, for comic book stories it's actually superior. If it keeps up by the end of this season Arrow will be easily the very best live action comic book adaptation ever made. Movies might have special effects, but their short run time mean they never are able to fully realize the comic book potential. And I sure as hell care more about Arrow characters than any character in superhero movie. Afterall I've spent like 30 hours with them already.

Everybody concentrates on Ammell's Shield comment, but I find the movie comparision much more interesting. He's so right. Today TV is easily on the same level as movies. Heck, for comic book stories it's actually superior. If it keeps up by the end of this season Arrow will be easily the very best live action comic book adaptation ever made. Movies might have special effects, but their short run time mean they never are able to fully realize the comic book potential. And I sure as hell care more about Arrow characters than any character in superhero movie. Afterall I've spent like 30 hours with them already.

I already consider Arrow pretty much the best comic book adaptation of anything ever.

Oregano

He's right about them using the format to their advantage. Look at how much flak Amazing Spiderman 2 and the Man of Steel sequel are getting for introducing so many new characters and then look at how many characters appeared in the midseason finale of Arrow(even if most used their civvie names); Green Arrow, Black Canary, Flash, Deathstroke, Brother Blood, Solomon Grundy, Shado, Doctor Ivo and Red Arrow. That's not even mentioning the plethora of wider DC references throughout the series. It just works so organically in Arrow.

Celeb gossip site revealing its blind items today. Saw this:

July 22, 2013

This B-/C+ list actress who has a very famous name is being written out of a star role on a very popular almost network show because no one can stand her diva behavior. She thinks she is the big star and that she can't be replaced and acts like that to everyone. Apparently she can be replaced though because they rewrote everything to get rid of her. Huh. Must run in the family.

Katie Cassidy

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2014/01/blind-items-revealed_5538.html?m=1

Our dreams fulfilled??

Celeb gossip site revealing its blind items today. Saw this:

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2014/01/blind-items-revealed_5538.html?m=1

Our dreams fulfilled??

-laurel-lance-laurel-lance-32728902-245-200.gif

Clevinger

How reliable is that website, really. Some scandalous (actionable?) shit on there right now.

The Paltrow one? Yikes.

prolly like 5% accuracy

They may try to be more accurate with ones like this though where it will be very obvious if it's untrue. Unlike "Stephen Amell gets off by throwing shrimp at hookers in polar bear costumes." The other thing is, with this type of easily falsifiable rumor why not just never reveal it if it was bullshit?

DominoKid

idk how reliable CDAN is but its very well known so i wouldn't be surprised if they're right since they're actually naming it.

i remember when that blind item was first posted and i thought it was her too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom