• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they really promise to not do any relationship drama in S4?
They knew fans had been annoyed at the constant drama and Felicity's crying and they promised that season 4 would tone it down. They made the point that the team scenes and everything would be normal, just with the change that Felicity and Oliver were dating, which would not shift the dynamic at all.

Which was true up until the Flash crossover and everything changed. Even before that, Felicity and Oliver's relationship which was supposedly going to be happening in the background practically had a subplot every episode. The show has never really lived up to the "lighthearted" tone we were promised.

I can't believe Legends has been the only consistently decent-ish CW superhero show running this season, Flash took a hard downward slide fairly early on, Arrow has never been particularly good.

You shouldn't believe it because Legends has been mostly terrible. It's a complete disappointment.

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/13/death-of-spoiler-on-arrow-will-undo-recent-felicity-decision/

tumblr_inline_mgr5zdPcya1ruz8y9.gif

"I know I said that I couldn't be this close to you anymore, and Curtis did an outstanding job in my place, but Laurel's death just hurt me so much that I can't abandon the team now."

This fucking show.

Sephzilla

Confession: I like to watch things burn

Well I'm glad I've figured out who you are then, IRL

giphy.gif

You shouldn't believe it because Legends has been mostly terrible. It's a complete disappointment.

Wow is it really that bad?

It's the only DC comic book show that I don't watch, but I thought about giving it a chance.

Legends of Tomorrow swings heavily between being decent and being bad. If Sara, Cold, and Heatwave weren't on the show it would be DOA. Those three characters are propping up what is otherwise a very weak show and story. Legends really should have been a 3 episode mini series

ZeroX03

Banned

It's the only DC comic book show that I don't watch, but I thought about giving it a chance.

dead souls just goes around shitting on TV shows. It's their shtick. Ignore them.

Legends is great character stuff with a pretty weak narrative. If you like Sara, Stein, Cold, Heat Wave, Ray you'll like it.

Sephzilla

dead souls just goes around shitting on TV shows. It's their shtick. Ignore them.

Legends is great character stuff with a pretty weak narrative. If you like Sara, Stein, Cold, Heat Wave, Ray you'll like it.

Legend's story is so weak that the main story could have been resolved had anyone used a remote amount of common thinking.

Blader

The cast has a great dynamic, and Sara and Cold are especially excellent (actually most of the characters are very good, except Rip and Kendra). But the writing around the actual story is completely stupid. Like, you know that feeling you get every time Malcolm walks into the Arrow cave..or prison..or someone's apartment, with zero issue and immediately handwaves it as "I am/was Ra's al Ghul, I can do anything"? Imagine that feeling, built out over the plotting of 10 episodes.

Joni

What did they say then? Because I don't know how you look at that blurb and not see that Laurel's death is a plot device to bring Felicity back into the fold.

If they desperately needed a reason to bring her back in the fold, they could just have left her in the team two episodes ago... As for the other part:

Marc Guggenheim said:
We never had to kill Laurel to make Oliver and Felicity a couple. That is really independent from the romantic history that Oliver and Laurel had, and a completely different set of dynamics.

Oddduck

Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts Blader, Sephzilla, and ZeroX03.

It does sound like a show that should've been a mini-series instead of a full series.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts Blader, Sephzilla, and ZeroX03.

It does sound like a show that should've been a mini-series instead of a full series.

If you're sticking it through Arrow at the moment, there is no reason not to give Legends a try. It's a fun show.

It is oddly polarizing, I will say.

GulAtiCa

Legends is awesome. It struggles a little at the beginning, esp with annoying Hawkman. But the later episodes, esp last few have been down right excellent. Really enjoying that show.

If you think I only shit on shows that just means you have bad taste.

FWIW just out of current comic bookish shows I really like iZombie, Gotham, Flash, and Arrow. I think Supergirl while still flawed has improved a lot and can even tolerate SHIELD. I just find Legends to be an exceptionally stupid show wasting some interesting characters/actors most weeks.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I go back and forth on Legends. Sometimes I enjoy the episode, other times they shit the bed. To their credit, they try to use every cast member in every episode. But since the team is rootless right now, we end up getting some super shitty B plots.

I think Arrow would be better without the flashbacks. They were nice when the show started, and they got some fantastic Season 2 payoffs out of it... but now they're just wasting production time, money, and letting the present day narrative stronger. Did anyone really care about 95% of the flashbacks last season? And even though they're better this season, did we really need a whole season of them? They'd be more effective if they were used in key episodes that organically tied to the present, rather than every episode and stretching it. Oliver has to turn into Grizzly Adams (in the flashbacks) by the end of next season, which feels ridiculous now seeing how he is now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This Show is fucking stupid now. Holy Shit.

When was the last time a CW Show got this bad? Vampire Diaries? Late Seasons of Buffy?

Even bad Buffy is better than a lot of other shows at their prime.

Flash is pretty fucking stupid sometimes, and that has only been on for two seasons. I feel like that'll have a bigger fall when the budget gets trimmed. People will blame the upcoming movie, but it's just how it goes with these CW shows sometimes. Genre television.

I earnestly can enjoy stupid shows. And not to make fun of. I just have different expectations from Arrow and Flash, even compared to other shows on the same network.

They should bring in a more personal villain like Komodo or something. I'm sick of "Destroying the city for blah blah blah" plots. I STILL have no fucking clue what Dhark is doing, and I'm starting to think there won't be much payoff on it.

I STILL have no fucking clue what Dhark is doing, and I'm starting to think there won't be much payoff on it.

We didn't see the downside of Ollie taking the Ras al Ghul mantle until the last three episodes last season. We didn't know what Myriad was on Supergirl until last week. They need to get better at establishing the stakes.

Not sure if this has been discussed:
http://tvline.com/2016/02/25/arrow-season-4-cast-madison-mclaughlin-cult-survivor/

Madison McLaughlin — who once fought demons as Supernatural‘s teen hunter Krissy — now has set her sights on Arrow.
Star Stephen Amell announced the actress’ casting on Season 4 of the CW series with a cryptic tweet.

The CW is mum on details, but McLaughlin seems to match a recent casting breakdown for “Rebecca,” a teenage character who appears in Episode 19 — with the potential to recur — and is described as a “smart, snarky” “escapee of a dangerous cult.”
But again, show reps are confirming no details on the casting.
Chicago P.D. viewers may recognize McLaughlin as Olinsky’s surprise daughter Michelle. The actress has also appeared on Girl Meets World, Major Crimes and Mad Men (as Sally’s friend who famously tried to flirt with Don Draper).

Sounds a bit like Raven to me. Could Kreisberg be getting his Teen Titans dream show?

-Deimos

For some reason my dvr didn't record the latest episode, which I thought I had just watched. I'm gonna need to double check the dates on episodes before heading into OTs from now on.

edit: That was a lot more emotional than I thought it would be. Also, it should have been Felicity.

ZeroX03

Banned
What is it with you enjoying to spoil shows for others? It's really annoying. You lose absolutely nothing, but might potentially ruin the enjoyment for others. It's so selfish.

I'm not advocating posting anything that hasn't already aired. I'm very vigilant when it comes to pre air spoiler tagging. And the old title wasn't any more spoilerish than the Flash title currently is.

oti

Banned
Hey guys so I have watched all of available Flash and the first two seasons of Arrow. The Crossovers were cool but I missed out on some context (the lawyer also wears spandex now?) and some people who were dead are alive again and so on.

I hear Season 3 wasn't that great. Is Season 4 "good enough" to watch S3 and S4?

Joni

Hey guys so I have watched all of available Flash and the first two seasons of Arrow. The Crossovers were cool but I missed out on some context (the lawyer also wears spandex now?) and some people who were dead are alive again and so on.

I hear Season 3 wasn't that great. Is Season 4 "good enough" to watch S3 and S4?
Season 3 is good enough as well. Especially if you can watch multiple episodes without weeks between them.

ZeroX03

Banned

People who've binge season three don't seem to think it's as bad as people who were in the weekly trenches. I think it's fine if you burn through both quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom