• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about felicity in the books not the show.

Don't get me wrong i don't care if the character is different from the books, but the focus of the show itself has just changed. Or at least it feels this way. It's like a drama that revolves around lies and secrets. People giving hero advise when they shouldn't.

Constantly revealing your secret identity.

And the worst sin of all. BITCHING about your no kill rule constantly. Or continuously trying to flip flop on it .

Well this shows has always had that lies and secrets thing from since season 1.
I would say this season not as bad as early on in some ways but worst in others .
Also glad we pass that secret identity BS and he always used take advice every now and then .

Yeah bitching about killing is trash i agree there .
He should know that some people have to be killed .

shoreu

Well this shows has always had that lies and secrets thing from since season 1.
I would say this season not as bad as early on in some ways but worst in others .
Also glad we pass that secret identity BS and he always used take advice every now and then .

Yeah bitching about killing is trash i agree there .
He should know that some people have to be killed .

Yeah but the lies were actually meaningful and led to insane twist. They then slowly devolved into stupidly small things that get blown out of proportion, or things that Oliver has a right to keep to himself because it's his business. It came to a point that every episode thea and Laurel were on his ass for something stupid.

And yeah he needs to make a decision on his morality and stick to it. Batman doesn't complain about a tough villain and how much he wishes he could kill him. He bucks the fuck up and finds a way to solve the situation no matter how complex.

Cw Oliver is so dependent he's seemed to have lost his ability to work on his own problems.

My name is Oliver Queen and I have dated all the daughters of Detective Lance. Laurel, Sara and Felicity Lance.

Lmfao

Malcolm escaping from whatever situation he gets into does not bother me. What really gets on my nerves is how casually he gets to strut around the Arrowcave like no thing, as many times as required by whatever hare brained plotline requires it.

Then again, it looks like Ollie hires his security from the same outfit that guards The Flash's S.T.A.R. Labs.

I wonder how many times this show is going to get the "You really should get better security" line.

If you skid a little in the last corner and still win, yes.

They staged a death in three out of four seasons. The only thing different now is that they teased it from the start. As for the fight, it would be different if she was killed in a fight. Then it wouldn't be Dahrk's petty revenge, it would just have been necessary in the heat of battle.

If other people get you angry at the show, that is on you. Not on the show.

That is what you get when they listen to much to the GAF contigent of fans who screamed for them to break up. See this very topic where the people complaining now where wishing for them to break-up. I'm quite sure the Olicity fans wanted them to stay together.

You can't raise any problems with them or look at the show with a critical eye because they're completely blinded by their weird adoration of a fictional couple. This show deserves to be as shitty as it is and I hope the fans who've turned against it keep on piling on the pressure until Mark Guggenheim is reminded of it day in day out.

And the "this is a different interpretation of Green Arrow" the Olicity fans are putting out there is such horse shit. The show is called Arrow and it is supposed to depict said character, but if it no longer resembles the comic then what's the point?

I mean, fuck... The Flash manages to strike the balance between honouring the comics and doing it's own thing.

There is a clear need to integrate Supergirl: the DEO can deliver guards.

The DEO have guards but they're kinda pointless, especially when they're willing to let the likes of Jimmy and the IT guy into their super secret underground bunker.

Joni

They're super effective.
There is no villains walking in, just regular computer nerds and journalists.

You can't raise any problems with them or look at the show with a critical eye because they're completely blinded by their weird adoration of a fictional couple.
You don't need to confront them. You will be a lot happier when you realize you don't actually have to talk to people you don't like.

And the "this is a different interpretation of Green Arrow" the Olicity fans are putting out there is such horse shit. The show is called Arrow and it is supposed to depict said character, but if it no longer resembles the comic then what's the point?
SInce the first season, Arrow had a lot of Batman in him with a couple of Teen Titans villains.

This is history rewriting BS .
The show was nothing like the comic from since the first ep .
This has nothing to do with Olicity fans , there is a reason why we get so many batman jokes.
Also the point of any show is for people to enjoy it even if don't follow what it base on .

You can't raise any problems with them or look at the show with a critical eye because they're completely blinded by their weird adoration of a fictional couple. This show deserves to be as shitty as it is and I hope the fans who've turned against it keep on piling on the pressure until Mark Guggenheim is reminded of it day in day out.

I mean, fuck... The Flash manages to strike the balance between honouring the comics and doing it's own thing..

The show has been its own thing since the start. It just happened to be a thing you liked enough to where fidelity to the source material didn't matter. Laurel Lance had little in common with the comic. Totally different backgrounds, origins and characters. She just happened to share a last name and an alter ego.

The show has been Batman Lite since the first episode. It pays lip service to comic Green Arrow at best. It has never resembled the comic.

The Flash is closer to the source material, but also goes out of its way to blaze its own trail. Gustin's Barry is far more personable than his staid comic counterpart, for example. (Earth-2 Barry was a direct callback to comic Barry.)

Honestly, the logical death would've been Captain Lance. We've finished off his arcs and he doesn't do much in the show proper. I would've killed him via the heart attack they've been teasing for a while. You would've gotten some Laurel play - dealing with the death of her father and the new police captain. Team Arrow would be upended in their law enforcement situation again. You could add some new blood on that side or play up Laurel's angle. Laurel's death feels more like trimming down the bloated Team Arrow than a logical story beat.

maxcriden

Oh, I just heard what happened in the last ep. I watched the crossover but otherwise dropped Arrow maybe halfway through S3. I'm curious how people feel about the death. And is it confirmed to not be a fakeout?

Oh, I just heard what happened in the last ep. I watched the crossover but otherwise dropped Arrow maybe halfway through S3. I'm curious how people feel about the death. And is it confirmed to not be a fakeout?

Some people are very upset, others are happy that Laurel is gone. It's all Felicity's and Tumblr's fault and everyone is dropping the show after this season.

Seem to be not a fakeout but there are many ways they can bring her back in some way .
As for the death i don't mind , wish they kill off one or two more characters .

I guess at least with Laurel gone that's one less character in the field but still they then just replaced her as a regular with promoting Curtis's actor to give Felicity her own side kick.

Killing Lance would've at least allowed them to introduce a new character who could cause conflict with the team and not being cool with vigilantes and brought back the tension with police, they could've had Laurel be the one who ends up getting exposed at the Black Canary and done something with that but I imagine now that story is going to be transferred to her father since it seems like her being the Black Canary should be common knowledge. Or they could've had another part of HIVE abduct Laurel at the end as a cliffhanger for the season and a mystery for the first half of season five and be how she gets her "proper" Canary Cry, similar to their being responsible for at least one version of
Killer Frost

I'm sure everyone's excited for a lot of "CaptainSmoak" next season.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Honestly, the logical death would've been Captain Lance. We've finished off his arcs and he doesn't do much in the show proper. I would've killed him via the heart attack they've been teasing for a while. You would've gotten some Laurel play - dealing with the death of her father and the new police captain. Team Arrow would be upended in their law enforcement situation again. You could add some new blood on that side or play up Laurel's angle. Laurel's death feels more like trimming down the bloated Team Arrow than a logical story beat.

Well put. Captain Lance had squat to do last season, outside of him unjustifiably getting angry at Arrow for Sara's death.

Joni

Killing Lance would've at least allowed them to introduce a new character who could cause conflict with the team and not being cool with vigilantes and brought back the tension with police.
Let's hope they don't. Central City PD and National City PD managed to understand a superhero cleaning up town isn't a bad thing. Star City PD are idiots.

Eh, I guess the biggest hang up the SCPD had was the "Hood" going around killing dudes until Sara got fridged and Chesthair got pissed but yeah it'd be recycling that plot line.

Meanwhile in Central City.

eXeNVyB.png

Nah he got golden glider on lock

ZeroX03

Banned
Yes Chesthair was the death that would've made the most sense, even if we all would've seen it coming.

Looks like they're not going to repeat the drunk angry plotline for him this time, Paul Blackthorne said he's going to cope more responsibly
although he's still going to beg for Nyssa to help next episode.

Joni

Eh, I guess the biggest hang up the SCPD had was the "Hood" going around killing dudes until Sara got fridged and Chesthair got pissed but yeah it'd be recycling that plot line.

He didn't even kill that often by the time they had the vigilante taskforce.

KonradLaw

And yeah he needs to make a decision on his morality and stick to it. Batman doesn't complain about a tough villain and how much he wishes he could kill him.

Didn't he though? There isn't any no kill rule anymore. He clearly dropped that because of the whole Ra's thing. Nowadays it seems he will try to avoid killing, but has no problem doing that when necessary.

Joni

The only thing he has done is imposed a no-kill rule on others, so that he can bear the mental brunt of it. And even that has limits. Diggle was shooting with tranqs, but his brother clearly wasn't.

And yeah he needs to make a decision on his morality and stick to it. Batman doesn't complain about a tough villain and how much he wishes he could kill him. He bucks the fuck up and finds a way to solve the situation no matter how complex.

Batman and Superman have a hard line no kill rule- no exceptions.

Oliver traditionally falls more in line with Wonder Woman- avoid killing as much as they can, but also willing to cross that line in extreme circumstances. Ollie sticking to his no kill rule only most of the time is pretty well in character for him.

Joni

The scoops we desperately needed: some tidbits on Felicity's parents from TvLine.
While I cross my fingers Arrowand wait for Arrow’s Charlotte Ross to also become a series regular, do you have anything to share about #SmoaknLance? —Trish
Donna will “definitely play a role” in helping Quentin cope with Laurel’s death while also avoiding the bottle, says showrunner Wendy Mericle. “We’ve seen him go off the wagon in the past, and what we really wanted to explore was: How would he want to honor his daughter’s legacy? That will be the question he has to ask himself and answer in the next few episodes.”

Will Felicity’s father make another appearance on Arrow before the season is over? —Cindy
Yes, Everwood alum Tom Amendes will reprise his role as Noah Kuttler aka The Calculator in a couple episodes as Season 4 winds down.

The scoops we desperately needed: some tidbits on Felicity's parents from TvLine.
While I cross my fingers Arrowand wait for Arrow’s Charlotte Ross to also become a series regular, do you have anything to share about #SmoaknLance? —Trish
Donna will “definitely play a role” in helping Quentin cope with Laurel’s death while also avoiding the bottle, says showrunner Wendy Mericle. “We’ve seen him go off the wagon in the past, and what we really wanted to explore was: How would he want to honor his daughter’s legacy? That will be the question he has to ask himself and answer in the next few episodes.”

Will Felicity’s father make another appearance on Arrow before the season is over? —Cindy
Yes, Everwood alum Tom Amendes will reprise his role as Noah Kuttler aka The Calculator in a couple episodes as Season 4 winds down.

Chesthair is going to honor his daughter's legacy?. Sounds like he's going to be the new Black Canary to me.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs

Chesthair in all that skin tight black leather with all those belt straps...I think I haven't given up on Arrow afterall

Man you know, I don't even know even know why I'm still watching Arrow, I just find myself skimming through everything. Ollie feels completely neutered as a character and I don't care much about anyone else. Can't buy into Dark and Merlyn needs to die, Ra was ultimately very disappointing but even he had some gravitas to him.

Well I still love Flash. Joe, Zoom, Wells, even Cisco are great.

Got no room for Laurel, but got plenty for Felicity's mother and Quentin Lance's pointless bullshit.

It is stuff like this that makes me genuinely hate the show and everyone involved in creating it. Their excuses about her death making the most sense are such utter garbage.

As a result we'll get trash about Quentin and whether he'll go back to drinking or not and how will Felicity's mommy will help him.

I mean come the fuck on...

He lost his daughter, it makes sense that they'll spend a minute or two on him actually coping...

The point is that they're willing to devote time to writing his story arcs (which amount to what? Moping around doing nothing and dealing with alcoholism - isn't this precisely what people complained about with Laurel?) but not in creating something for a big character in the Green Arrow mythos.

Their priorities are completely fucked and it strengthens the accusations that the show has become nothing but a soap-opera.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
looking forward to half-watching this tonight while playing a video game and then shitting all over the episode afterwards!

Joni

The point is that they're willing to devote time to writing his story arcs (which amount to what? Moping around doing nothing and dealing with alcoholism - isn't this precisely what people complained about with Laurel?) but not in creating something for a big character in the Green Arrow mythos.

Their priorities are completely fucked and it strengthens the accusations that the show has become nothing but a soap-opera.

They have always said there would be an impact on other story. We really go full circle in this topic: there are people complaining that Felicity would be the biggest griever and now that Quentin is actually affected too much about the death of his daughter. There wasn't much room to move Black Canary, but there was room to see how her death would affect stuff. Just like they grieved for Tommy in their own way.

Effect

I have this set to record like I normally do. However not sure if I'll bother at all watching this live tonight. I didn't get a chance to watch iZombie last tonight and it was a two episode season finale so I might end up watching that instead.

Edit:

Afraid the show isn't back for another two weeks.

Oh that's right. Forgot about that. No issues then. iZombie it is.

looking forward to half-watching this tonight while playing a video game and then shitting all over the episode afterwards!

I mean that's the cool internet thing to do instead of just dropping the show right. Anyways there's no new episode tonight. I believe they both come back next week and Legends is the only new episode this week.

Joni

I mean that's the cool internet thing to do instead of just dropping the show right. Anyways there's no new episode tonight. I believe they both come back next week and Legends is the only new episode this week.

Arrow started its break a week later so Flash next week, Arrow on the 27th.

Blader

They have always said there would be an impact on other story. We really go full circle in this topic: there are people complaining that Felicity would be the biggest griever and now that Quentin is actually affected too much about the death of his daughter. There wasn't much room to move Black Canary, but there was room to see how her death would affect stuff. Just like they grieved for Tommy in their own way.

This is bullshit. They didn't do anything with Black Canary, even the "we'll see Laurel struggle to balance her superhero life with her job and ethics as a lawyer" stuff they said they were going to cover this season. There was plenty of interesting material to mine there that they chose not to. They didn't kill Laurel because they were no room to move her, they killed her because they teased killing somebody, didn't know who it would be and ultimately decided that it had to be a bigger supporting character to justify their own pointless teasing.

This is a show about the Green Arrow but they decided they couldn't move Laurel's story forwards ? Do you get how fucking stupid this seems to people who aren't obsessed with Felicity and Oliver's nonsense?

They could've moved forward with Laurel and Wildcat but they sat on their backsides with that one for so long that the actor moved on and was recast elsewhere.

Another point: Laurel seems like the only character that wasn't defined by her relationship to a man. Thea had Roy and Malcolm, Felicity had Ray and Oliver, Felicity's mother has something with daddy Lance (seriously... they've got time for Felicity's mother and not Black Canary), Nyssa had daddy issues and then something with Oliver (despite being gay), we've got Diggle's wife (whatever her name is), and even Shado was stuck in a love triangle?

They're so stuck thinking in terms of ridiculous love interests and "ships" that their only recourse with Laurel is to kill her off.

Insulting and lazy.

Joni

The character was stuck in this weird fifth wheel base with nowhere to go. She was always just his ex. They are bad at writing courtroom scenes, the audience reacts badly to relationships like dj douche, she wasn't a good fighter. Episodes where she takes the lead like with Brick Weren't well accepted. They messed up by having a superior black canary before. The best conversations Laurel had were with the exes of Oliver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom