• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Can all dream but Oliver isn't going to revert to being a killing machine in the present day.

Let's be honest, he hasn't cared about not killing someone very much the last couple of months. He only cared in trying to get one of those HIVE people alive to interrogate.

Blader

I'm a little opoptimistic for the season 5 flashbacks. It's the last year of then so they will hopefully focus less on forced tie ins to the present plot and more on getting Ollie the ruthless killer he will be when off the island.

Expect most of S5 flashbacks to be set in Russia, with Oliver not returning to the island (again) until around the last bunch of episodes. They're going to hit the fast forward button on his ruthless killer transformation so hard.

ZeroX03

Banned
Expect most of S5 flashbacks to be set in Russia, with Oliver not returning to the island (again) until around the last bunch of episodes. They're going to hit the fast forward button on his ruthless killer transformation so hard.

That should at least be fun?

KonradLaw

They're going to hit the fast forward button on his ruthless killer transformation so hard.

They will do a time skip inside the flashbacks. Skipping 5 months of them.

Then for the next 5 years of the show each season will have flashbacks to one month of that skipped time!
Magneto-perfection.gif

Even if he's on the weakest show, he's still the villain who delivered the most this season.

So disagree.
The actor is trying so damn hard to carry the character and the writers are letting him down with every step.
I'd say he is the worst Arrowverse big bad but by far the best actor they have had.

ZeroX03

Banned
So disagree.
The actor is trying so damn hard to carry the character and the writers are letting him down with every step.
I'd say he is the worst Arrowverse big bad but by far the best actor they have had.

Best actor and "best" dialogue. All of them have terrible plans and slow burning plots this season. You really trying to tell me Savage or Non are better than Darhk? NON!?

Zoom, well, the Flash thread is full of compliments for that successful storyline.

Best actor and "best" dialogue. All of them have terrible plans and slow burning plots this season. You really trying to tell me Savage or Non are better than Darhk? NON!?

Zoom, well, the Flash thread is full of compliments for that successful storyline.

I will give you Non, though Supergirl has gotten so bad lately its like an automatic disconnect.

I feel Darhk being introduced in the premiere and more or less being in every episode minus being introduced around episode 9 or so like most of the Big Bads for the show is what made him feel tedious. He's entertaining but like with Savage on Legends you can't help but find it annoying how Team Arrow become such idiots with being unable to capture or stop him.

I feel Darhk being introduced in the premiere and more or less being in every episode minus being introduced around episode 9 or so like most of the Big Bads for the show is what made him feel tedious. He's entertaining but like with Savage on Legends you can't help but find it annoying how Team Arrow become such idiots with being unable to capture or stop him.

Same thing with The Flash and Zoom this season as well. Maybe Berlanti and his team need to stop revealing "the big bad" of each season right away. Keep the reveal of who it is, either a character we've never seen before or a formally 'good' character who's turned evil like Slade Wilson, till the halfway mark. When they go up against the main villain every few episodes for the entire season the writers seem to run out of good reasons to have the hero lose.

KonradLaw

I feel completely opposite. Showing Darkh from the start was the best thing they did and it's one of the main reasons why the intial pre-break batch of episodes was just the best early batch Arrow ever had.
The problem is they didn't know what to do with him after the break, so they bassicaly had to stall for few episodes before his main plan happens.
They should have had a side villain to occupy us while Darkh goes underground for few eps after the break ends. I have no fucking clue why they didn;t use Akarky precisely in this way.

Joni

Same thing with The Flash and Zoom this season as well. Maybe Berlanti and his team need to stop revealing "the big bad" of each season right away. Keep the reveal of who it is, either a character we've never seen before or a formally 'good' character who's turned evil like Slade Wilson, till the halfway mark. When they go up against the main villain every few episodes for the entire season the writers seem to run out of good reasons to have the hero lose.

It can work both ways. The late reveals on DeathStroke and Dark Archer worked, but they also lead to slow episodes where we were wondering what was coming. It is the same that happened with Non who came too slow. Keeping back Ra's also lead to complaints for Arrow S3, because at 9 episodes he was underused. He appeared in one episode before The Climb. On the other hand, Flash revealed Reverse Flash immediately and that worked. And they didn't really reveal who Zoom was until a month ago, which is where it really went wrong.

No Arrow tonight. Back next week. I know, I know, you all badly need some quality Arrow to wash out the taste of Flash.
Now that you mention it, though, unless Barry
gets his speed back next week, we now have a plot hole, since we saw him speeding away from Laurel's grave
at the beginning of the season. Thanks again, Guggenheim.

Joni

Now that you mention it, though, unless Barry
gets his speed back next week, we now have a plot hole, since we saw him speeding away from Laurel's grave
at the beginning of the season. Thanks again, Guggenheim.

Episodes don't necessarily air in the order of the cross-overs. See the Supergirl cross-over mention on The Flash and see Arrow appearing on The Flash last year. The cross-over for Supergirl happened in episode 18 for both shows, they just aired with a month between them. We won't know the timeline for the cross-over until we see all the episodes.

Episodes don't necessarily air in the order of the cross-overs. See the Supergirl cross-over mention on The Flash and see Arrow appearing on The Flash last year. The cross-over for Supergirl happened in episode 18 for both shows, they just aired with a month between them. We won't know the timeline for the cross-over until we see all the episodes.
That's not how it works with Flash and Arrow; those crossovers have always been in real time. Supergirl was an exception, since it was clear that
Barry ran into the past
, which is why that happened on Supergirl before it happened on Flash.

Joni

That's not how it works with Flash and Arrow; those crossovers have always been in real time. Supergirl was an exception, since it was clear that
Barry ran into the past
, which is why that happened on Supergirl before it happened on Flash.

Oliver in his full League garbs taking down Reverse Flash and Barry saving the others from the League of Assassins both don't make any sense when it comes to episode air order.
For the Supergirl crossover,
there is no indication of him going into the past. He dimension hopped and came out at the same moment

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah the crossover at the end of Arrow S3/Flash S1 didn't make sense timewise. They try and sync things up but can't always predict the schedule when writing months ahead of time. You just have to ignore it and go with the flow. The actual two-parter episodes are synced properly.

KonradLaw

For the Supergirl crossover,
there is no indication of him going into the past. He dimension hopped and came out at the same moment

Nope. He had to timetravel. It only took seconds in Flash, while he spent whole day in Supergirl's world. WIthout time travel this doesn't work.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nope. He had to timetravel. It only took seconds in Flash, while he spent whole day in Supergirl's world. WIthout time travel this doesn't work.

That's assuming the flow of time in Supergirl's universe is the same as in the Arrowverse. We know Earth-1 and Earth-2 are pretty 1:1 with most things, but Earth-3 could be whatever.

Barry didn't have to travel to the past in Supergirl, he could've traveled to Supergirl in real time and then traveled to the past of the Arrowverse (or when he left essentially).

Either way it really doesn't matter.

Joni

There is no indication that the Supergirl episode is set before the Flash episode. It is way more likely Episode 18 of Supergirl is set during that instant second of Episode 18 of The Flash. It didn't take place three weeks ago during episode 16-17 of The Flash. They were meant to take place in the same week.

KonradLaw

There is no indication that the Supergirl episode is set before the Flash episode. It is way more likely Episode 18 of Supergirl is set during that instant second of Episode 18 of The Flash. It didn't take place three weeks ago during episode 16-17 of The Flash.

And this only proves my point. How can you explain the whole Supergirl episode fitting inside seconds of Flash's E18 without time travel?
The way I see it in E18 he jumped towards Supergirl's world and then when going back he managed to not just jump universes, but also to travel backwards in time, so that he emerged in his own world only seconds after leaving, instead of the day after.

We've seen Barry travel backwards in time by a day by accident, so it fits.

Joni

And this only proves my point. How can you explain the whole Supergirl episode fitting inside seconds of Flash's E18 without time travel?
The way I see it in E18 he jumped towards Supergirl's world and then when going back he managed to not just jump universes, but also to travel backwards in time, so that he emerged in his own world only seconds after leaving, instead of the day after.

We've seen Barry travel backwards in time by a day by accident, so it fits.

Which is different from the discussion, about him running into the past, which was the main point of contention. It is clear they would have aired in a different order if it was up to the writers. As for the 'time travel' because he came back at the same spot, that is very common for multiverse television shows where universes are out of sync and we have very rarely seen him come back at the same moment.

KonradLaw

Which is different from the discussion, about him running into the past, which was the main point of contention. It is clear they would have aired in a different order if it was up to the writers. As for the 'time travel' because he came back at the same spot, that is very common for multiverse television shows where universes are out of sync and we have very rarely seen him come back at the same moment.

Why? To me the only sensible solution is that he ran into the past of his own universe when entering it again. And I don't buy the out of sync multiverses, becuause Earth 2 isn't out of sync and Supergirl' world is modern. So it would take a lot of ridiculous assumptions to explain how it's exactly the same world civilization-wise, while not following the exact same timeline.
We've already been told that all the Earths occupy the same space in the universe, so it makes sense they follow the same time line since gravitional forces would be similiar.

Also..them being out of sync would make any future crossovers impossible.

jdstorm

Banned
Not every show is lucky to get GOAT kid actor the way Gotham has
tumblr_inline_o1tpzgfRtK1tauw7r_500.gif

Agreed. I legitimately dislike almost everything about Gotham. But his performance as Batman/Bruce Wayne is probably my favourite version of the character across all media (with the possible nostalgic exception of Adam West)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Y'all are taking this more seriously than the show does. The Supergirl crossover had zero impact on anything. On Flash it amounted to one visual effect and one sentence that didn't even directly reference what happened. I wouldn't waste much energy trying to make stuff like that fit since it has more to do with the production schedule and level of writer interest and not some internal logic within the shows.

Time travel works the way they want it to for the purpose of the plot. Dimension hopping too. They'll adjust the "rules" if need be to justify the story. Legends of Tomorrow too. You can't interact with events that you took place in...except when they all do.

Things only really line up once a year.

Joni

True, and to get back to topic instead of Supergirl, the crossover at the funeral can be set anywhere. Like maybe it is set directly after the episode where Laurel died so they didn't wait three weeks to arrange her funeral. It would mean it was before yesterday's Flash, even though it airs only next week.

KonradLaw

Y'all are taking this more seriously than the show does. The Supergirl crossover had zero impact on anything. On Flash it amounted to one visual effect and one sentence that didn't even directly reference what happened. I wouldn't waste much energy trying to make stuff like that fit since it has more to do with the production schedule and level of writer interest and not some internal logic within the shows.

Time travel works the way they want it to for the purpose of the plot. Dimension hopping too. They'll adjust the "rules" if need be to justify the story. Legends of Tomorrow too. You can't interact with events that you took place in...except when they all do.

Things only really line up once a year.
Oh come on. It's a discussion in Arrow thread about something else than "how much does the show suck now?" :)
And yeah, I know they get wonky with time travel on CW, but that's their mistake IMO.
The concept of timetravel itself is ridiculous, but it works so much better when you simply set up concrete rules and stick to them. This is what makes 11 23 63 and 12Monkeys (TV show) such a joy to watch.

KonradLaw

True, and to get back to topic instead of Supergirl, the crossover at the funeral can be set anywhere. Like maybe it is set directly after the episode where Laurel died so they didn't wait three weeks to arrange her funeral. It would mean it was before yesterday's Flash, even though it airs only next week.

The image of Laurel's body left to rot for three weeks before funeral is strangely fitting with how the show has treated this character though :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Oh come on. It's a discussion in Arrow thread about something else than "how much does the show suck now?" :)
And yeah, I know they get wonky with time travel on CW, but that's their mistake IMO.
The concept of timetravel itself is ridiculous, but it works so much better when you simply set up concrete rules and stick to them. This is what makes 11 23 63 and 12Monkeys (TV show) such a joy to watch.

Yeah, I like consistency with time travel stories. Flash has just never been about that life. Lol

Like sometimes Barry goes back in time and ends up in his own body at that time (so basically just his mind time travels) and other times he goes back and he can interact with his past self. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom