• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's the thing. It's no guarantee that getting rid of Felicity would fix the show. Just look at the complaints this season.

- the team's fighting skill being nerfed.
- the team making stupid decisions.
- Damien Darhk not doing anything.
- Merlyn always getting involved.

And that's just a few of the complaints this season.
All of these problems have the same root cause: splitting screen time with too many useless characters.

KonradLaw

I've said it once before, but if the get rid of Felicity, the show would likely be doomed. Just look what happened to the Vampire Diaries after they got rid of their lead actress. It took a big ratings hit in the following season.
Felicity is nowhere near as important to the show as Elena was to Vampire Diaries.
I doubt it would loose a lot in the ratings.

KonradLaw

What fanbase do you think this show has?

Not the one that spams tumblr with gifs. This is just very vocal minority. The show did well in ratings before Felicity and Flash does even better without her or romance as a whole.
I think people seriously overestimate how much viewers generally care about Olicity.

ZeroX03

Banned
Not the one that spams tumblr with gifs. This is just very vocal minority. The show did well in ratings before Felicity and Flash does even better without her or romance as a whole.
I think people seriously overestimate how much viewers generally care about Olicity.

While it's changed dramatically since the Ostroff days, the viewership is still predominantly female. The comic book fans who hate Olicity and romantic drama are the minority, not the other way around
unfortunately

Remember S3 beat S2 in the ratings. Yeah.

KonradLaw

While it's changed dramatically since the Ostroff days, the viewership is still predominantly female. The comic book fans who hate Olicity and romantic drama are the minority, not the other way around
unfortunately

Remember S3 beat S2 in the ratings. Yeah.
No way. I refuse to believe that. And female viewers are sticking for Oliver's abs, not Felcity.

The showrunners have made their hell. They're the ones that will have to live knowing they failed as writers and ended up pandering to a specific group of fans.

Regardless of how it went down I at least admire how The 100 writers had the backbone to carry on with the story they envisioned rather than give what the fans wanted.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Felicity is far from the only problem this show has. Her dying or leaving or whatever wouldn't fix the remaining glaring flaws that have made this show a chore.

Joni

The season with the least romance performed the worst. You might remember that as the season we all adore.

ZeroX03

Banned
No way. I refuse to believe that. And female viewers are sticking for Oliver's abs, not Felcity.

Accept that you're in The CW's world, and fangirls keep the lights on. Twelve years of Supernatural? Get ready for fifteen of Olicity.

ff9eb4fb9692b93e41b48e6f9ed5479b.jpg

What was the threads consensus on Vixen? Because goddamn I thought that was terrible.

She's no Constantine.

Ashhong

Effects work was atrocious

Really? I thought those spirit animals were ok, considering CW. But the character, the actress, everything was so mediocre. I haven't seen the little side show or whatever so maybe that's why. I just thought she was utterly useless.

But that's the thing. It's no guarantee that getting rid of Felicity would fix the show. Just look at the complaints this season.

- the team's fighting skill being nerfed.
- the team making stupid decisions.
- Damien Darhk not doing anything.
- Merlyn always getting involved.

And that's just a few of the complaints this season.
The show should have introduced Darhk later. Having him pop in during the premiere means that for a whole season they have to drag the character out. Flash introduced Zoom earlier but they didn't have him appear in every single episode during the first half of the season and if I'm correct, Darhk is near a regular with the amount of appearances he has warranted as a special guest star.

I wish the writers would just kill Merlyn off. It's as if they are legitimately afraid of losing Barrowman which is why they make him a regular despite him appearing every few episodes.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I thought Vixen was okay... but the writing was terrible. It doesn't even make sense to bring her in.

"We'll bring in another magic user to fight the telekenetic, even though none of her powers really helps."

Blader

Vixen had the worst/funniest line of the season, maybe the entire series: "Without this necklace, I'm just a wannabe fashion designer who lives at home with her foster dad."

Vixen had the worst/funniest line of the season, maybe the entire series: "Without this necklace, I'm just a wannabe fashion designer who lives at home with her foster dad."

It's up there with Kendra on LoT reminding us almost every week that up until ___ weeks/months ago she was just a barista.

I found the "how about I kick your ass like a woman" line really odd given the context. This show had more female heroes than male at that point on the team (Felicity, Thea and Laurel to Oliver and Diggle) and we all know Supergirl got a ton of hate from the start with the cramming of girl power so why did they even make that line a thing. I'm all for more female heroes, but that line bugged me.

True, at least we only heard it once but that might be because Vixen was only in one episode.

I found the "how about I kick your ass like a woman" line really odd given the context. This show had more female heroes than male at that point on the team (Felicity, Thea and Laurel to Oliver and Diggle) and we all know Supergirl got a ton of hate from the start with the cramming of girl power so why did they even make that line a thing. I'm all for more female heroes, but that line bugged me.

It was a terrible line.

ZeroX03

Banned
It was a terrible line. Probably the worst in Arrow I can think of. You'd need an actress who can play 100% badass and 100% cheese at the same time to save that one.

Joni

True, at least we only heard it once but that might be because Vixen was only in one episode.
Not really. It is really hard to find anyone in the Arrowverse outside of Kendra saying something similar more than once. And with Vixen, it was at least played for laughs.

Joni

Wait, what? Like they grew as THAT season went on?

Started weak in ratings, but recovered from episode 6 onwards. Of course, with how television works, there were drops once daylight savings kicked in, but less deep than the year before. Everything drops at that point, so that is not special. That the show grew year on year was however less common.

Magwik

Banned
The small rise of viewer count can easily be attributed to S2 on Netflix and the Flash brining in viewers as well. It's such a small number that you can't really attribute it to much else.

Magwik

Banned
Quiet you. It's all Felicity.

Even if it does explain how S4 dropped back down to status quo.

Yes, this week! Uninterrupted to the finale!
Can't help but feel bad for so many people to think that S3 largely represents Arrow as a whole. The small crossover near the end of both seasons helped too I'm sure.

ZeroX03

Banned
Spoilers courtesy of TVLine. Not even one Felicity mention!

PRE-FINALE:
Damien Darhk will "come out swinging" in the wake of offing Laurel Lance and dealing Team Arrow that morale-crushing blow, says showrunner Wendy Mericle. As for the Big Bad's endgame, Mericle points fans to Episode 409 as well as the bible's book of Genesis for "some pretty good clues" about what he's got cooking. Meanwhile, Diggle deals with his guilt over Laurel's death while Thea "grapples" with her destiny as Speedy (as well as faces off against an old foe). Amid all that drama, can Oliver & Co. possibly rebound from their loss and rise to stop Darhk? "It becomes a question of: How does Oliver defeat his magic?" says Mericle. "And that really won't be answered until the finale."

SEASON FINALE (MAY 25):
Akin to Season 2's Deathstroke showdown, a "huge" location shoot in part involving "a big intersection in downtown Vancouver" was needed to do this deadly denouement justice. And deadly it will be. "It's a pretty grim one, I'm sad to say. We have a huge number of potential fatalities," Mericle reports on the season ender. "And you'll definitely get a hint about where the team is headed for Season 5."

Joni

Heroes in the Arrowverse really can't just win, if Dahrk might cause fatalities in the end even. Still, sounds interesting.

KonradLaw

Heroes in the Arrowverse really can't just win, if Dahrk might cause fatalities in the end even. Still, sounds interesting.

This is what makes it great. I absolutely loved they had the balls to make Oliver half-fail in S1 finale. It was so damn refreshing and changed a lot of the city in the process.
I know resetting to status quo is kind of superhero comics DNA, but it doesn't need to be in TV format.

As for the Big Bad's endgame, Mericle points fans to Episode 409 as well as the bible's book of Genesis for "some pretty good clues" about what he's got cooking.
Given these writers, my interpretation of that quote is that they don't fucking know, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom