• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe they set off a nuke in the show, on US soil to boot.

That's something that would change the world, they don't have the writing & production chops / commitment to pull that off.

Having Ollie and Diggle fight alone led to much better action. If they ever build Team Arrow back up to full strength, they should base the missions around split objectives to keep the action strong.

- J - D -

I feel like...the nuking of an entire town is the kind of event that should completely change this show, or at least set a new precedent for the narrative. Tens of thousands of lives gone in an instant, more than in any other catastrophe in the show's run so far, and greater than anything that has happened to even The Flash or Supergirl. It's pretty messed up.

I hope they take the fallout of this event seriously and not just shrug it off with an episode of Felicity crying or sulking (which would be the worst for an entirely different reason). The worst thing that could happen is that the show backslides and this becomes a blip in the current ongoing dealings with Dahrk, which granted is an immediate concern still.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel like...the nuking of an entire town is the kind of event that should completely change this show, or at least set a new precedent for the narrative. Tens of thousands of lives gone in an instant, more than in any other catastrophe in the show's run so far, and greater than anything that has happened to The Flash or Supergirl. It's pretty messed up.

I hope they take the fallout of this event seriously and not just shrug it off with an episode of Felicity crying or sulking (which would be the worst for an entirely different reason).

Ideally, it should. But I feel like Flash and Arrow have done a poor job of doing any world building outside of their respective cities. Maybe a little easter egg or reference, but there really is no sense of the outside world. How do other cities feel about The Arrow? I guess okay maybe, he has action figures. How does Star City feel about metahumans? Detroit has a vigilante with Vixen, is it a growing movement that was started by the appearance of the Arrow? Or did some come before him? I guess the federal government approves of Arrow since they let him run point with the assistance of ARGUS? If the shows were shorter, I wouldn't really be as down on that aspect of it. But they have over 20 episodes in a season. It's even more problematic in Flash because you have a villain who is literally taking over an entire metropolitan city, and there isn't any sense of the general population of the city being panicked because their police department has been disabled...or that there is an outside response to help them. That is where the quality gulf between Arrow & Flash and something like Daredevil lies for me.

An entire city being destroyed should be a momentous event in all of the universe, and yet I highly doubt they'll even bring it up much more in even Arrow. It's insane.

This season has outdone itself in its level of mediocrity. I don't know what they can do in the finale to justify any of it.

shingi70

Banned
j1Q3GVb.jpg

What's this world you speak of?

A town being nuked should be this massive, world wide news event that would absolutely dwarf the frenzy that took place during and after 9/11. But for Arrow it was a Wednesday.

- J - D -

Ideally, it should. But I feel like Flash and Arrow have done a poor job of doing any world building outside of their respective cities. Maybe a little easter egg or reference, but there really is no sense of the outside world. How do other cities feel about The Arrow? I guess okay maybe, he has action figures. How does Star City feel about metahumans? Detroit has a vigilante with Vixen, is it a growing movement that was started by the appearance of the Arrow? Or did some come before him? I guess the federal government approves of Arrow since they let him run point with the assistance of ARGUS? If the shows were shorter, I wouldn't really be as down on that aspect of it. But they have over 20 episodes in a season. It's even more problematic in Flash because you have a villain who is literally taking over an entire metropolitan city, and there isn't any sense of the general population of the city being panicked because their police department has been disabled...or that there is an outside response to help them. That is where the quality gulf between Arrow & Flash and something like Daredevil lies for me.

It would be nice if The Flash could react to current nuclear events happening in Arrow, but I feel that that would only invite questions the writers of either show probably don't want (or aren't prepared) to answer.

Lacking that, these shows really need a recurring character to represent the populace, to voice dissent or frustration with the constant shifting of the status quo, the unending escalation -- because regular people are getting f-cked left and right.

What I'm saying is that Arrowverse needs its own G. Gordon Godfrey.

What's this world you speak of?

A town being nuked should be this massive, world wide news event that would absolutely dwarf the frenzy that took place during and after 9/11. But for Arrow it was a Wednesday.

Damn this post became especially great once I remembered that Damian Dahrk was M.Bison in that terrible Chun Li Street Fighter movie.

GulAtiCa

A town got nuked? Must be May.

I hope this plays off in season 5. I always enjoy when the good guys take a lose. Like how in season 1 finale they still lost the battle.

It would be nice if The Flash could react to current nuclear events happening in Arrow, but I feel that that would only invite questions the writers of either show probably don't want (or aren't prepared) to answer.

Lacking that, these shows really need a recurring character to represent the populace, to voice dissent or frustration with the constant shifting of the status quo, the unending escalation -- because regular people are getting f-cked left and right.

What I'm saying is that Arrowverse needs its own G. Gordon Godfrey.

They really, really do. This town getting nuked should be all over the news of both The Flash and Arrow. But I'll be surprised if we hear anything about it again outside some passing comment.

Damn this post became especially great once I remembered that Damian Dahrk was M.Bison in that terrible Chun Li Street Fighter movie.
p22SyyE.gif

Can't be helped with the dumpster fire that this show has become. I'm glad The Flash has been on-point for the most part this season (apart from the usual stupid-Barry routine), it's definitely helped keep me resolved in dropping Arrow in two weeks.

ZeroX03

Banned
I suspect the nuke will be downplayed for the rest of this season, become a more substantial plot point next season. I would normally expect this sort of thing to be swept under the rug, but the Russian speakers are a lot of effort and play into next year's flashbacks.

Magwik

Banned
I suspect the nuke will be downplayed for the rest of this season, become a more substantial plot point next season. I would normally expect this sort of thing to be swept under the rug, but the Russian speakers are a lot of effort and play into next year's flashbacks.
Or maybe for once they did more than the bare minimum to establish a bit of reality

Or maybe for once they did more than the bare minimum to establish a bit of reality

I'm super skeptical. Reality long since has gone to the same place as Moira, and Felicity's paralysis. It would be neat if they actually did use the fourth season's storyline to greatly inform on the fifth's, though.

Let's not kid ourselves. Nothing will come of this, other than maybe they will talk about holding Ruve Darhk accountable for the damage. However, unlike with season 1's undertaking, there are no main characters who have any real stake in this: there's no Moira Queen, the good guy who reluctantly helped the bad guys' plans come to fruition, and there's no Laurel Lance, the lawyer who will try to hold the bad guys legally accountable. It doesn't affect any main character at all, really. At best (or worst?) it will just lead to Felicity and/or Calculator moping around about how they failed to stop it before they come to terms with and forget about it after a few episodes.

Let's not kid ourselves. Nothing will come of this, other than maybe they will talk about holding Ruve Darhk accountable for the damage. However, unlike with season 1's undertaking, there are no main characters who have any real stake in this: there's no Moira Queen, the good guy who reluctantly helped the bad guys' plans come to fruition, and there's no Laurel Lance, the lawyer who will try to hold the bad guys legally accountable. It doesn't affect any main character at all, really. At best (or worst?) it will just lead to Felicity and/or Calculator moping around about how they failed to stop it before they come to terms with and forget about it after a few episodes.

Ah, the Laurel treatment.

Joni

Hey Felicity remember when you kill Thousands of people
She stopped nuclear armageddon, or rather her dad did. In the end this can go two ways. She can feel bad and people will complain, or she doesn't feel bad and people will complain.

As for the nuke, maybe Darhk should just have destroyed the glades. Which as you remember got a followup the year after. As did the attack by deathstroke. But what should be the right followup. Team Arrow should ideally be awarded for what they did by the president. They saved billions of people. Argus might be disbanded for having rubicon. But anything else wouldn't really fall into the scope of the show.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Next season in the Arrowverse, the government starts acting like the government and conscripts Team Arrow into clandestine operations, murdering terrorists and enemies of the state worldwide.

The Flash is made to run on a giant treadmill, giving the US energy independence.

Supergirl is put to work on public works projects, helping to erect bridges and build roads.

Finally, the Legends team, no longer able to manipulate time, are put to work in the Pentagon's cafeteria.

Blackage

Ugh, it annoys me how we have already know there's going to be flashbacks next season. I'm so sick of the flashbacks on this show, they've been awful and had next to no reason to exist after Slade's arc was done.

ZeroX03

Banned
Ugh, it annoys me how we have already know there's going to be flashbacks next season. I'm so sick of the flashbacks on this show, they've been awful and had next to no reason to exist after Slade's arc was done.

If it's the final year and they're actually ending I expect them to go all out. Properly connected to the main plot too. And the jump forward to killer with a beard should be fun.

She stopped nuclear armageddon, or rather her dad did. In the end this can go two ways. She can feel bad and people will complain, or she doesn't feel bad and people will complain.

As for the nuke, maybe Darhk should just have destroyed the glades. Which as you remember got a followup the year after. As did the attack by deathstroke. But what should be the right followup. Team Arrow should ideally be awarded for what they did by the president. They saved billions of people. Argus might be disbanded for having rubicon. But anything else wouldn't really fall into the scope of the show.

Oliver let Merlyn go and gave him complete control over the league, and then later reassembled the idol (that would later prove to be central to Darhk's plans) that they destroyed. Not only that but they left it where they knew Merlyn could get it (whom they also knew was in league with Darhk).

They shouldn't be awarded anything.

Joni

Oliver let Merlyn go and gave him complete control over the league, and then later reassembled the idol (that would later prove to be central to Darhk's plans) that they destroyed. Not only that but they left it where they knew Merlyn could get it (whom they also knew was in league with Darhk).

They shouldn't be awarded anything.
Dahrk was hardly the only HIVE member. The idol is unimportant for the government, it is not even important to the HIVE plan. Dahrk hijacked the HIVE plan to power himself up.
In both cases, the government messed up. They let both Malcolm and Dahrk escape from their custody, a deadly wounded Malcolm after Oliver beat him even.

nynt9

I can't believe they set off a nuke in the show, on US soil to boot.

That's something that would change the world, they don't have the writing & production chops / commitment to pull that off.

I'm surprised they didn't call Barry to somehow stop it or run it to the middle of the ocean or something.

Joni

Speedforce.gif

he can grab it and run it to the middle of the ocean, or somehow absorb the energy of the blast, don't gotta explain shit cuz speedforce

Supergirl, Firestorm or Atom could grab it midair, but Barry is completely powerless against one. He can't fly. Atom doesn't seem to fly extraordinarly fast, Firestorm and Supergirl would be the only options but they are in another time and in another Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom