• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
youre_serious_futurama.gif

KonradLaw

So, there have been a visible reduction of pointless drama in the show recently, but we're getting a rise of drama outside of it :D

DeathyBoy

Banned
Yeah that was Guggenheim who just said "no" (I think just that), Kevin thinks that Guggenheim and his wife hate him and thus won't watch Arrow. Despite that he's friends with Kreisberg, in with WB, likes Stephen Amell and watches Legends and Flash. It'd take five minutes for them to get over whatever beef he thinks there is.

I can't really blame them, but I'm not a huge fan of Smith's GA work. It might be high up on GA's best books list, but that's more because GA has a lot of staggeringly mediocre shit.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
GA is probably cursed to never get a run comparable to Mike Grell's one :(

Longbow Hunters will always be my Green Arrow. I watched the DC showcase for Green Arrow for the first time a few weeks back, and that got me to bust out the trades to reread The Longbow Hunter. Soooooo good

I could go for a feature length version of this still too: https://youtu.be/cVRiADlDEig

KonradLaw

Longbow Hunters will always be my Green Arrow. I watched the DC showcase for Green Arrow for the first time a few weeks back, and that got me to bust out the trades to reread The Longbow Hunter. Soooooo good

I could go for a feature length version of this still too: https://youtu.be/cVRiADlDEig

Did you stop at it? Grell followed Longbow Hunters with ongoing GA comic run for glorious 80 issues and it was every bit as good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Did you stop at it? Grell followed Longbow Hunters with ongoing GA comic run for glorious 80 issues and it was every bit as good.

I actually read his entire run. I just finished catching up on Grayson so I guess the rest of the Grell run is going to be my next comic binge.

XAL

Jesus I can't believe there are going to be more Felicity+Mom centric episodes.

Please kill Felicity this season.

CryptiK

So you want more Felicity centric episodes? Seems like a good idea to focus on that instead of Darhk and Oliver fighting.
No they simply kill her at the end and the next season starts some time later when everyone forgets about her. Then the show can move forward without the awful characters known as Felicity and her Mum.

So, there have been a visible reduction of pointless drama in the show recently, but we're getting a rise of drama outside of it :D
No there hasn't now Felicity's Mum is also being annoying.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Felicity will continue to be a character on the show. You might as well tell them to kill off Oliver.

The sooner you internalize this, the sooner you can make peace with it.

Joni

No they simply kill her at the end and the next season starts some time later when everyone forgets about her. Then the show can move forward without the awful characters known as Felicity and her Mum.

No there hasn't now Felicity's Mum is also being annoying.
What an awful fuck you to the fans that would be. Would be a good reason for me to drop the show. They are doing way less relationship drama, the only annoying thing are people that don't even know what happened in the show and complain.

What an awful fuck you to the fans that would be. Would be a good reason for me to drop the show. They are doing way less relationship drama, the only annoying thing are people that don't even know what happened in the show and complain.

How does that compare to the "fuck you" the fans who dislike the Felicity crap are receiving?

Joni

How does that compare to the "fuck you" the fans who dislike the Felicity crap are receiving?
They aren't. They complain about everything the second she opens her mouth. They aren't even pretending anymore to follow what happens. Last episode was a good example. That was a good story with a lot complaints because Felicity had the story.

I just read GAF when the show focuses on Felicity. Yeah, I miss about 80% of each episode these days because of it, but you guys can fill in the gaps for me.

As if Laurel literally wasn't just killed off in the biggest 'fuck you' to ever happen to a comic book character in this show and the fans. But yeah, it would be awful when the in name only character might die.

Felicity ain't dying, no need to worry over it.

It's nothing but relationship drama. Our hero is bouncing doing jack shit, getting beaten up and all we hear is darkness, darkness, darkness. No one does a fucking thing. No one cares about mum, not a single person. She is annoying to everyone in the show, and viewers, why is she here? No one cares about Lance and any relationship he could have. He was going mental that people are dead, that was great. Now he is giving up everything because Barbie said so.

Can we get a new fight chorography team while we're at it?

CryptiK

Are you insinuating I have no idea whats going on in the show? Because I have watch every single episode, infact the Felicity bullshit about lying leaked onto her mother last episode and my god what a waste of time that subplot was. Also what TV show are you watching? 50% of it these days is relationship drama.

Joni

The last episode had like a minute of donna, Alex being killed which is also relationship drama and Noah making one remark which was really exagerated before the episode because it was a single line on the summary. So yes, I really doubt people are watching the same show.

As if Laurel literally wasn't just killed off in the biggest 'fuck you' to ever happen to a comic book character in this show.
She got a very nice sendoff in what was easily her best story line. Some good fights, a death that is no mistake of her but a villain finally doing what he promises, followed by a very emotional death scene, funeral and then the public respect she deserved as a hero, the first really getting her identity outed for being good. So the best death scene and the best followup. Which you are thinking is worse than tommy or Moira when it was their best one.

CryptiK

The last episode had like a minute of donna, Alex being killed which is also relationship drama and Noah making one remark which was really exagerated before the episode because it was a single line on the summary. So yes, I really doubt people are watching the same show.

She got a very nice sendoff in what was easily her best story line. Some good fights, a death that is no mistake of her but a villain finally doing what he promises, followed by a very emotional death scene, funeral and then the public respect she deserved as a hero, the first really getting her identity outed for being good. So the best death scene and the best followup. Which you are thinking is worse than tommy or Moira when it was their best one.

Thats ok we can give Felicity a nice send off as well. They killed a pinnacle character in the comics off, just as they were making her good. And they still have an awful side character that made some of that death about her the immediate episode after.

She got killed off after being highly neglected for the entirety of the season (barely any focus and when she did it seemed to benefit others, ie; resurrection of Sara), and killed off in a manner in which she propped the romance between Oliver and Felicity in her final lines to the viewers. She was also finally being majorly liked by most viewers. Laurel didn't get a goodbye to her father or a goodbye to her sister, there was no "nice sendoff" when she literally got stabbed with an arrow (not shot, stabbed) in the side in a show where people have taken swords through the body and fell off rocky, jagged cliffs into the freezing cold and lived to tell the tale. The comic book character with arguably more history than the Green Arrow got killed off, leaving Oliver to be the only true comic book character on the show from his mythos.

A good sendoff would be giving her some good focus the whole season so it made more of an effect, giving her plot-lines about her as a DA and vigilante, having her interact in more than just group scenes, giving her closure with several characters. Not ignoring her and then killing her off because "oh well, someone has to die" and making it all be so rushed that the actress found out barely a few weeks before filming the episode.

Joni

It isn't uncommon to keep that from actors so it doesn't influence their acting tone.

Thats ok we can give Felicity a nice send off as well. They killed a pinnacle character in the comics off, just as they were making her good. And they still have an awful side character that made some of that death about her the immediate episode after.
So what that they are killing a comic character, she was the weakest link. Diggle and Thea are original as well, Moira was about as much a character in the comics as Felicity. The Flash keeps original characters as well by killing comic book characters. They keep Wells and kill ronnie and Eddie. They only could make her good by E either killing her or making her an attorney only which would be useless just like in the first season.

It isn't uncommon to keep that from actors so it doesn't influence their acting tone.
The writers genuinely admit they didn't know who they were killing off until halfway through the season, I find it hard to believe they didn't tell Katie Cassidy because they didn't want to risk her acting, they probably only figured it out not long before they told her.

Joni

The writers genuinely admit they didn't know who they were killing off until halfway through the season, I find it hard to believe they didn't tell Katie Cassidy because they didn't want to risk her acting, they probably only figured it out not long before they told her.
Considering how they handled the twist on their other show...

CryptiK

So what that they are killing a comic character, she was the weakest link. Diggle and Thea are original as well, Moira was about as much a character in the comics as Felicity. The Flash keeps original characters as well by killing comic book characters. They keep Wells and kill ronnie and Eddie. They only could make her good by E either killing her or making her an attorney only which would be useless just like in the first season.
She was the weakest link? It wasn't the overly emotional blonde woman sitting behind a computer monitor, that had a hand in her death because she can't think straight and could have been replaced by Mr. Terrific and the show would have been infinitely better? As for killing off characters on Flash, Eddie wasn't a comic book character Eobard was, and Firestorm went on to die in the comics anyway.

Joni

She was the weakest link? It wasn't the overly emotional blonde woman sitting behind a computer monitor, that had a hand in her death because she can't think straight and could have been replaced by Mr. Terrific and the show would have been infinitely better?
Felicity has a unique skill compared to Laurel, who was just there in fights. First half of the season was people complaining about how there were too much people in the fights for them to work. That certainly didn't include Felicity fighting. If you then look at individual fight skills, Katie Cassidy was the weak link and her power was the least convincing between the four fighters. As for Felicity's fault, she wasn't there which is what she blames herself for, which is also bad because 'it is making it about herself'.

As for killing off characters on Flash, Eddie wasn't a comic book character Eobard was, and Firestorm went on to die in the comics anyway.
It would be easier to list people that don't die in the comics. As for Black Canary in the comics, isn't her majority New 52 time spent away from Arrow and only in Birds of Prey?

First half of the season was people complaining about how there were too much people in the fights for them to work. That certainly didn't include Felicity fighting.
It actually did, since most fights still had cutaways to her sitting at her desk, telling people what to do.

Volimar

It would be easier to list people that don't die in the comics. As for Black Canary in the comics, isn't her majority New 52 time spent away from Arrow and only in Birds of Prey?

This just reminded me that the old Birds of Prey show was shown in that suit up commercial for no reason.

Joni

It actually did, since most fights still had cutaways to her sitting at her desk, telling people what to do.
Which is away from the action, meaning they don't need to foresee place for her to fight or enemies for her to fight.

This just reminded me that the old Birds of Prey show was shown in that suit up commercial for no reason.
It was there for a very good reason, it is on CW Seed. Same reason as The Flash 90s being there.

- J - D -

Laurel actually does have a skill set unique to her among the cast. She's a district attorney, a talented lawyer. It's not her fault that the show poorly represents that side of her character. A show like Daredevil manages to make a cast of lawyers and their legal tribulations interesting enough to underline a lot of what the actual titular superhero does. Laurel probably would've fared better there.

Volimar

Laurel actually does have a skill set unique to her among the cast. She's a district attorney, a talented lawyer. It's not her fault that the show poorly represents that side of her character. A show like Daredevil manages to make a cast of lawyers and their legal tribulations interesting enough to underline a lot of what the actual titular superhero does. Laurel probably would've fared better there.

Except DD himself comes off as a horrible lawyer. Thank God for Foggy.

Which is away from the action, meaning they don't need to foresee place for her to fight or enemies for her to fight.
Nonetheless, it still affects fight choreography (or at least presentation) because the fights scenes have to time in accordance with her cutaways. Laurel, Thea, and Diggle being around clearly don't help matters, either.

Joni

Nonetheless, it still affects fight choreography (or at least presentation) because the fights scenes have to time in accordance with her cutaways. Laurel, Thea, and Diggle being around clearly don't help matters, either.

She can talk while the others are travelling between rooms, she is covering actual cuts.

It would fit once or twice, but it would have no actual value. Are you interested in seeing Laurel do attorney work every episode? What would it bring to the table that is not covered in Boston Legal or Shark or the likes, but with a less special lawyer? Who would she convict? People not related to Arrow's work or HIVE henchmen? That is fun when we see her try to take down Dahrk, or maybe if a bad guy gets away because of her. But there is no material to fill a season. Marc Guggenheim is a lawyer, he has written a legal show, and he thinks the legal elements were never good, alongside the fact that they are expensive to film.

- J - D -

It would fit once or twice, but it would have no actual value. Are you interested in seeing Laurel do attorney work every episode? What would it bring to the table that is not covered in Boston Legal or Shark or the likes, but with a less special lawyer? Who would she convict? People not related to Arrow's work or HIVE henchmen? That is fun when we see her try to take down Dahrk, or maybe if a bad guy gets away because of her. But there is no material to fill a season. Marc Guggenheim is a lawyer, he has written a legal show, and he thinks the legal elements were never good, alongside the fact that they are expensive to film.

No one's asking for that. I'm not interested in seeing attorney work every episode, or enough to fill a season, but it doesn't necessarily need to do either in order to give Laurel something more substantial than the scraps she had this season, the dearth of which resulted in a death that left little emotional impact. It's no stretch to say that for much of the season outside of the rushed Dahrk trial, any semblance of Laurel having a day time job or life has pretty much evaporated. The show spends so much time establishing how difficult it is for Felicity to be a part of team Arrow while still holding a day job, but Laurel isn't afforded the luxury of that kind of character work. Why? I think we all know the reason.

Marc Guggenheim could be right about the legal elements potentially not being good, but seeing as the alternative is what we actually got this season so far, I'd have preferred if they at least tried.

Joni

Apparently Manu Bennett is retweeting shade towards the show.

Ah yes, Shannara Chronicles is renewed. Still, should have gotten him back for Legends of Tomorrow.

No one's asking for that. I'm not interested in seeing attorney work every episode, or enough to fill a season, but it doesn't necessarily need to do either in order to give Laurel something more substantial than the scraps she had this season, the dearth of which resulted in a death that left little emotional impact. It's no stretch to say that for much of the season outside of the rushed Dahrk trial, any semblance of Laurel having a day time job or life has pretty much evaporated. The show spends so much time establishing how difficult it is for Felicity to be a part of team Arrow while still holding a day job, but Laurel isn't afforded the luxury of that kind of character work. Why? I think we all know the reason.

Marc Guggenheim could be right about the legal elements potentially not being good, but seeing as the alternative is what we actually got this season so far, I'd have preferred if they at least tried.

They tried, in the first season. And it would be quite wasteful to keep her around just to have her in a couple of episodes. In a comic, you can draw something only every 10 editions, in a show not very much if you are paying someone for an entire season.

- J - D -

They tried, in the first season. And it would be quite wasteful to keep her around just to have her in a couple of episodes. In a comic, you can draw something only every 10 editions, in a show not very much if you are paying someone for an entire season.

In season one she wasn't in a costume fighting with team Arrow, this is a different dynamic. As for your other point, I don't actually follow the logic. She'd be in the episodes fighting alongside everyone else when she's not given the more substantial character work. Diggle every few episodes gets some heavy lifting when he has to deal with Andy and having to fight crime while taking care of his family, but in the interim he's still onscreen every episode fulfilling the standard hero obligations.

ZeroX03

Banned
Tonight's Springsteen title is...

#4.22 "Lost in the Flood"
Episode Promo
OLIVER FIGHTS FOR THEA; DONNA SMOAK FACES OFF WITH NOAH KUTTLER — Following the shocking events in the previous episode, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Diggle (David Ramsey) race to rescue Thea (Willa Holland), while Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards), Curtis (Echo Kellum) and Noah (guest star Tom Amandes) join together to stop Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough). Donna Smoak (guest star Charlotte Ross) begins her mayoral campaign on the platform of "no more lying boyfriends". Glen Winter directed the episode written by Brian Ford Sullivan & Oscar Balderrama (#422).
ar422b-0157b-182541.jpg

XAL

So you want more Felicity centric episodes? Seems like a good idea to focus on that instead of Darhk and Oliver fighting.

Yeah man, because having her persist is clearly better.

Should just be unceremoniously deleted like Amanda Waller.

I feel like people don't realize that killing Felicity wouldn't accomplish anything. If she gets killed, some other character takes her place.

The problem isn't Felicity, it's the writers. You guys should direct your complains towards them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom