• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
#406 "Lost Souls" Extended Promo

RAY PALMER RETURNS FROM THE DEAD — Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) is frantic when she learns that Ray (guest star Brandon Routh) is alive and being held by Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough). Felicity’s guilt over not finding Ray sooner causes tension between her and Oliver (Stephen Amell). Meanwhile, Sara (guest star Caity Lotz) joins Laurel (Katie Cassidy), Thea (Willa Holland) and the team on a rescue mission for Ray. However, the effects of the Lazarus Pit take over and threaten to jeopardize the entire operation. Donna Smoak (guest star Charlotte Ross) returns to Star City. Antonio Negret directed the episode written by Beth Schwartz & Emilio Ortega Aldrich (#406). Original airdate 11/11/2015.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Haven't you heard that she's going to reveal that Felicity's
Father is Darhk
?

ZeroX03

Banned
Seriously, Matt Ryan made this episode. The character fits so well into the Arrowverse already. He could just blow people's minds every other episode.

No offense (okay slight offense) to Daniel Cerone and Goyer, but they couldn't do him justice. Kreisberg and Berlanti need to give us the Hellblazer that Matt Ryan deserves. Ryan's Constantine is far different to Oliver or Barry and he's got his own huge area of the universe that's practically his own playground.

Problem being there's no place for a solo show with Supernatural around :(

Of course Constantine was on the dammed island. Sigh. I am not sure if i like Laurel in this episode or hate her. She has some good points, but damn.

Why didn't Constantine do something for Thea? If he can fix a dead woman, Thea should be no problem.

At least give some bullshit dialogue about how he can't cure her bloodlust or something.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Constantine being on the island actually legitimizes the place being such a hotbed of activity and evil plots. Before we had to leave it to happenstance, but now the place if a nexus point of evil.

KevinCow

Banned
No offense (okay slight offense) to Daniel Cerone and Goyer, but they couldn't do him justice. Kreisberg and Berlanti need to give us the Hellblazer that Matt Ryan deserves. Ryan's Constantine is far different to Oliver or Barry and he's got his own huge area of the universe that's practically his own playground.

Problem being there's no place for a solo show with Supernatural around :(

There's a 0% chance his show would get a second shot even without Supernatural around, but there's no reason he couldn't keep popping into Arrowverse shows for the occasional supernatural episode. Hell, they could even make him a regular on Legends at some point.

Just get the rights shit sorted out with NBC. Arrowverse needs more Constantine.

ZeroX03

Banned
There's a 0% chance his show would get a second shot even without Supernatural around, but there's no reason he couldn't keep popping into Arrowverse shows for the occasional supernatural episode. Hell, they could even make him a regular on Legends at some point.

Just get the rights shit sorted out with NBC. Arrowverse needs more Constantine.

If Supernatural had ended last season then I think Constantine could've had a shot at being picked up by The CW. It would've been the perfect replacement with some retooling. But that ship has sailed, if it didn't get a second season before the options expired it's pretty much dead in the water. Arrowverse continuation through cameos or Legends is it's best/only bet.

Skux

Yeah the actual Sara rescue went by way too fast. There is so much interesting stuff you could do with the "other realm" and the supernatural but it turned into a lazy two minute boss fight against a nameless League mook.

Without being a Constantine fan you could see the seams where he was written in, I could see how it would be jarring for people who weren't aware what was happening behind the scenes.

Can we get a shout out to Mr. Terrific, who was awesome this episode.

"It's drunk, actually."

"That's okay, I think I might be having a cardiac incident anyway."

kinda wish they dragged out Sara's possession out for another episode. Her appearances in this were hilarious, she was just sonning the shit out of everybody and was so feral.

plus she's a better actress when she doesn't speak

So great to hear that awesome Constantine theme again, even if it was only for a few seconds. Please CW, get this guy back for LOT season 2!

Excited to see Ray again. One of the few bright spots of S3.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Constantine will be in LoT S2. They're probably negotiating the shit out of it right now. No way he appears on the Island otherwise - that's clearly leading somewhere.

ZeroX03

Banned
Constantine will be in LoT S2. They're probably negotiating the shit out of it right now. No way he appears on the Island otherwise - that's clearly leading somewhere.

The AV Club (B+) touches on why it was necessary for Constantine to appear on the island. Makes it much easier to introduce him in the present and give Oliver and John ample time to spend scenes together.

Also Laurel: you aren't equal with Oliver. At least not when it comes to fighting crime. You're not even on Diggle's level. If Oliver's in the courtroom or attending Alcoholic's Anonymous he should follow your lead, otherwise he probably knows his shit better than you. He spent five years in hell. At least they cleared all that shit up at the end.

And Diggle and Lance aka "The Adult's Table". I admit it was nice having the two characters least likely to screw around with bullshit together. And a nice heaping of Darhk on top.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Man that fucking theme is still so damn good! I am glad to see John being witty as ever but I do agree that the CW writers can give him more justice and have him in his hell blazer shenanigans self. I hope there's talks with CW and NBC or whatever in WB to get more of John in this universe because he's too damn good of a character to waste without him.

Magic is all up in this bitch of this universe now. You need based John and his theme to bring this stuff out in a blaze of glory.

Now bring on the ratings!!

Matt Ryan's so good as Constantine. One of those absolutely perfect comic book casting decisions. It's a shame we'll never see him get to settle into the show he deserves. Would be great if they could get him back though I doubt the powers that be will ever let it happen :(

infi

Another good episode this season.

Constantine is a great character so it was good to see him back. Hopefully we'll get to see more of him.

Darhk is a great villain and much better than Ra's was. Slade had the benefit of a long build up through season 1 and close ties to Olly but Darhk is giving him a run for his money even without having all that. I can't tell if it's the actor or character, maybe its both but he's great.

Loved Laurel and Olly this season, both showed a lot of growth.

Curtis is great, I kinda want him to become a major character on team Arrow instead of just a bit character but I don't think there's room unless someone leaves. Although the grave we saw in an earlier episode could be from a team arrow member leaving room for Curtis to come and be Terrific.

It was nice to see Diggle and Lance together and Diggle finally getting some answers about his brother. I'm surprised Lance used his real name and job title at the federal facility though.

Jonogunn

Matt Ryan's acting while fighting is much more convincing than Stephen Amell's.

They went overboard with his hair though. Was anyone else bothered?

I doubt this episode is going to provide a Flash crossover like boost to Arrow's ratings, hell I'll be surprised if it's above a 1.1 in the 18-49 demo.

"A very specific kind of yummy"

My wife laughed very loudly at this, as it's what she's thinking whenever Matt Ryan is on screen.

Flash suffered from it too with that Captain Cold episode. And that hurried fix for Firestorm. I assume it'll have one or two more with trying to redeem Heatwave a little & Hawkgirl.

I doubt it-- they'll just have Cold drag him along.

Decent episode that felt a bit rushed in the end. Looking forward to next week though.

Agreed, it just kinda ended.

Anyway, that was a really fun episode of Arrow, and maybe the first time that I liked Arrow more than the Flash episode the same week. The show seems to have its mojo back, even if it's still a little iffy at times. Dahrk is a great hammy villain, and that helps.

Sheppard

I would like to say thank you to you awesome Arrow people for hosting John Constantine in your show. He and the show was great.

GulAtiCa

Why didn't Constantine do something for Thea? If he can fix a dead woman, Thea should be no problem.

At least give some bullshit dialogue about how he can't cure her bloodlust or something.

I believe Constantine only brought her soul back, he didn't cure her bloodlust.

JDSN

Banned
That line about the decathlon was some of the shittest writting ever done in a comic book property, this whole thing was so bad that the flashback was the only decent part, but the rest? The weird federal facility escape, the restoration scene with Laurel running like an idiot, the Palmer subplot, the weird lingering POV shots of Thea in the hospital, the kida disturbing hand-waving of Felicity that Sarah only killed mugs and thugs. Man, this ended all the momentum that this season had going on for me.

Your face has an annoying accent!

image.php

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That line about the decathlon was some of the shittest writting ever done in a comic book property, this whole thing was so bad that the flashback was the only decent part, but the rest? The weird federal facility escape, the restoration scene with Laurel running like an idiot, the Palmer subplot, the weird lingering POV shots of Thea in the hospital, the kida disturbing hand-waving of Felicity that Sarah only killed mugs and thugs. Man, this ended all the momentum that this season had going on for me.

i'm just hoping it was a hiccup and this isn't a sign we're going to repeat S3 terribleness

Joni

Great to see John back. It would be nice to get more of him. Otherwise, a decent episode but nothing pivotal. I would have liked the Diggle reveals in another episode, or maybe keep the Sara attacks and the flashbacks for this episode; but do the resurrection next episode.
Loved the comment on the pretty girls from Oliver's past, and him not mentioning his two dead exes when saying he misses Tommy.

Although i am liking this season, i just dislike the fact that these past and upcoming episodes are used to promote a new show. I am really hyped for LOT, but damn they should not spend that much time building up the next show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom