• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Sorry guys, it isn't an Arrowverse thread unless someone wants to throw acid in the face of one of the women on the show.

GulAtiCa

I started to put on ignore the more annoying of people that clearly doesn't like this show anymore and will nitpick at the women of Arrow for nothing other then to be petty and sexist reasons...

strafer

Kinda disappointing that THe Flash gets all the good music from Blake this time.

Season 1 Arrow soundtrack was one of the best. I dont know what happened.

Tabby

I started to put on ignore the more annoying of people that clearly doesn't like this show anymore and will nitpick at the women of Arrow for nothing other then to be petty and sexist reasons...
I doubt the ones that hate watch Arrow would care enough to post.

Nabs

More hype from the team:

Andrew Kreisberg ‏@AJKreisberg 8 minutes ago
Tonight's episode of @CW_Arrow features HANDS DOWN the CRAZIEST MOST EPIC FIGHT SCENE in history of show directed by @JamesBamford #Arrow

--

Their stunt coordinator did his thing last week with Enter Zoom. I'm excited to see how their fight coordinator handles this episode.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
More hype from the team:

Andrew Kreisberg ‏@AJKreisberg 8 minutes ago
Tonight's episode of @CW_Arrow features HANDS DOWN the CRAZIEST MOST EPIC FIGHT SCENE in history of show directed by @JamesBamford #Arrow
God dammit. My power better come back on before I get home tonight. I missed Flash and SHIELD last night cause of the wind storms in Seattle yesterday. No power for 24 hours now.

WedgeX

Banned
Looking forward to hearing the weekly complaints about how the show isn't brooding enough and how Felicity ruins everything and needs to die

This trope, generally about lady characters and how they need to die, is so damn annoying on the Internet. Its not just on GAF, but everywhere.

valeo

I like Mama Smoak for some reason. Actress is weirdly likable.

Watching Arrow and Flash back to back makes me dislike Arrow more and more though. Flash is pure fun. Arrow is brooding boredom.

ZeroX03

Banned
I absolutely see the sexism in going after a lot of the female characters in these shows.

However I do think that Arrow and Flash both struggle with compelling female characters, so I understand why they're disliked more. I'm not sure why that is - both shows have female EPs and writers - and I suspect it's more to do with the tropes of the male superhero show if Supergirl is any indication. Females are often put into preachy roles (Iris, Laurel) or single dimension (Caitlin) when they don't need to be. I don't have a solution, but it's something I've noticed. Felicity of course jumped from comic relief to emotional center which was jarring.

Like Laurel just spent the last few episodes going full stupid just to set up Legends. And Iris' reprehensible behavior on Flash. Both of those just to string out drama.

Oh and casting has a lot to do with it. All the females cast to be sexy as hell first, while with older characters who are mostly male that's less of an issue.

Skux

It's gonna be hard to top Gotham's elevator fight from this week!

Flips are not just CW exclusive

0PysNAp.gif

Kyoufu

Disliking a certain female character = sexism?

What the fuck?

Arrow struggles with compelling female characters. It's not sexism to call that out. It's not sexism to not enjoy annoying characters getting screen time.

WedgeX

Banned
I absolutely see the sexism in going after a lot of the female characters in these shows.

However I do think that Arrow and Flash both struggle with compelling female characters, so I understand why they're disliked more. I'm not sure why that is - both shows have female EPs and writers - and I suspect it's more to do with the tropes of the male superhero show if Supergirl is any indication. Females are often put into preachy roles (Iris, Laurel) or single dimension (Caitlin) when they don't need to be. I don't have a solution, but it's something I've noticed. Felicity of course jumped from comic relief to emotional center which was jarring.

Like Laurel just spent the last few episodes going full stupid just to set up Legends. And Iris' reprehensible behavior on Flash. Both of those just to string out drama.

Oh and casting has a lot to do with it. All the females cast to be sexy as hell first, while with older characters who are mostly male that's less of an issue.

Definitely agree with this.

ZeroX03

Banned

What the fuck?

Arrow struggles with compelling female characters. It's not sexism to call that out. It's not sexism to not enjoy annoying characters getting screen time.

That's not what I said at all. But there's a very clear tinge of sexism to the "fuck what did the girls ruin now" comments. I'm not referring to specific Gaffers or even this thread, but you'd have to be blind not to see it with many of these genre shows.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

What the fuck?

I distinctly remember in the S1 or S2 thread for Arrow that mods had to come in and tell people to chill because people would constantly attack Laurel's appearance.

There definitely is something there. Maybe a combination of the way they're writing these female roles and the mostly male audience? Laurel, Sara, Iris, and Caitlin definitely get more criticism than Diggle or Cisco. The men are put into those bromances where they might be angry with each other for an episode, but then they hash it out. The women have to stand up for a moral viewpoint and it gets drag on throughout an arc.

People like the love interest characters that are cute and fawn over the hero, but not the ones that might not be that interested. I don't watch Agents of SHIELD, but didn't some of the fanbase have a meltdown over one of the nerd characters in there getting friendzoned? Just watch. Everybody loves Patty in Flash...until she stands against Barry on something.

Tabby

What the fuck?

Well I mean, it's like what Laurel said to Oliver in the hospital hallway.

When Oliver revives her sister and keeps secrets most people don't seem to bat an eyelid but when Laurel tries to revives Sara it's all "OH GOD LAUREL FFS SO USELESS."

When Oliver revives her sister and keeps secrets most people don't seem to bat an eyelid but when Laurel tries to revives Sara it's all "OH GOD LAUREL FFS SO USELESS."

Just quoting this for truth.

Hell, Laurel can be one of the most level-headed characters on the show. Plus her motivations for why she does, pretty much everything, are typically the most relatable of the all the members in Team Arrow.

Magwik

Banned

I put fault on the writers for not giving us enough reason to care what Laurel is doing when we already know how it's going to go down.

Uh, reviving a murder zombie against the wishes of every magical expert she talked to, chaining the murder zombie up in the fucking basement, and then still not going to Ollie after murder zombie started killing innocents is a lot worse than Ollie reviving thea. It's a much longer and more consistently stupid series of decisions.

Laurel just has the unfortunate situation of holding the idiot ball more than the rest of the cast.

ZeroX03

Banned
Uh, reviving a murder zombie against the wishes of every magical expert she talked to, chaining the murder zombie up in the fucking basement, and then still not going to Ollie after murder zombie started killing innocents is a lot worse than Ollie reviving thea. It's a much longer and more consistently stupid series of decisions.

Laurel just has the unfortunate situation of holding the idiot ball more than the rest of the cast.

And Laurel only had to hold the idiot ball because they needed to revive Sara and she was the best candidate.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I loved that scene because it is absolutely true. Oliver is extremely sanctimonious about everything. He's been that way since Season 1 with Huntress. Just because he was on an island for 5 years, doenst make him the authority on who can do what in Star City. Everything has to be on his terms, but why does he get to decide who can operate where and when? His judgement is questionable at best. Killing was fine, until he had a personal tragedy. Lying his okay, when he is the one keeping the secrets. If everybody made perfect choices, the show would be boring. But I'm glad Laurel and Diggle have stood up to him on the choices he makes on their behalf.

RobNBanks

Banned
This trope, generally about lady characters and how they need to die, is so damn annoying on the Internet. Its not just on GAF, but everywhere.

It's not even just with women, although its often with them. There's people that ask for Mack or Lincoln to die in Agents of Shield

Everyone treats every show or movie like it's Game of Thrones. If there's a character you don't like, you hope they die because its GoT and it's probably going to happen for "shock value" (although it's done so much it lost that effect)

It's weird how people just make death look so insignificant.

ReiGun

I put fault on the writers for not giving us enough reason to care what Laurel is doing when we already know how it's going to go down.

Moreover, the writers spent the first two seasons, intentionally or not, making fans utterly despise Laurel. It's like that meme that says if you don't like someone, everything they do becomes offensive. People hate Laurel so much that every action she takes is immediately put into that context and framed as the worst thing ever, even when it's something relative small or something every character does.

Hell, I'm convinced people only like Sara because she's not Laurel. Because she's a total bore on her own.

People like the love interest characters that are cute and fawn over the hero, but not the ones that might not be that interested. I don't watch Agents of SHIELD, but didn't some of the fanbase have a meltdown over one of the nerd characters in there getting friendzoned? Just watch. Everybody loves Patty in Flash...until she stands against Barry on something.
People hated Iris at first just because she "friendzoned" Barry and then had to invent reasons to keep disliking her because she never did anything that wrong in season one.

And don't say she "sabotaged" Barry's relationship with Linda because Beta Barry torpedoed that just fine on his own.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sara always struck me as a bro with benefits. She fights crime, can Salmon Ladder and has sex with a beautiful woman. She's... quite similar to Oliver actually.

Sara always struck me as a bro with benefits. She fights crime, can Salmon Ladder and has sex with a beautiful woman. She's... quite similar to Oliver actually.

well when you put it that way lol .

Truth is the women in the shows get cry down much more than the men and male characters get away with things that just as stupid.
Show wise oliver was the head person doing this which is why it great that he so chill\understanding this season .

ReiGun

Which is what makes her so boring. She's "Oliver 2." Right down to being on Lian fucking Yu for a time. lol Except she has almost no character development and nothing in the way of interesting plot possibilities beyond being another body in LoT.

If they ever decide to stop jobbing Laurel out and start giving her cool fight scenes, you would be able to remove Sara from the show entirely and nothing would be lost.

Penguin

When you phrase it like that, explains why she is one of the more liked females on the show.

But gawd do I miss Mama Queen
:(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Which is what makes her so boring. She's "Oliver 2." Right down to being on Lian fucking Yu for a time. lol Except she has almost no character development and nothing in the way of interesting plot possibilities beyond being another body in LoT.

If they ever decide to stop jobbing Laurel out and start giving her cool fight scenes, you would be able to remove Sara from the show entirely and nothing would be lost.

They have an opportunity to reboot her character with Legends and dear lord I hope they take it.

I really enjoy most of the female characters on Flash. Caitlin and Patty are both pretty great, and Iris has been nice as well this season.

But there isn't really a female character in Arrowverse I've disliked outside of early Laurel and maybe Huntress.

I miss Moira though.

ReiGun

Mama Queen was the greatest.

I've never gotten the love for Felicity. Well, I do get it, but her appeal just doesn't work on me.

LionPride

Banned
I don't understand people who don't like Iris. I understand Caitlin as her character is very nothing at times, but Iris has an actual character and her interactions with Linda make me happy. Seeing the woman Barry loves and Barry's ex be civil towards each other and not being catty is great. They actually have depth.

I did dislike Laurel a lot after season 2 and I only liked Sara because she wasn't Laurel. I like Laurel a lot now though, seeing people complain about her doing anything annoys me

ReiGun

We've definitely passed the point that Laurel's haters are more annoying than Laurel herself. I used to follow the show live on here and Twitter; switched to Gaf exclusively because Laurel haters on twitter are just insufferable and shit up the feed whenever she does literally anything.

I'm still bitter over the way Laurel treats her dad. Both not telling him about Sara dying and then reviving her without consulting him... that's a really shitty thing to do.

But on the flipside Chesthair is working with Darhk for "reasons" (none of which make sense for his character). A shame cause he used to be my favorite character on the show, but his character is all over the place right now. Although I did like his part of Sara's return story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom