• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Timo

mGce0.jpg

Last self portrait for a while. Watercolor and some slight digital fixes.

Mistle

Beginner question about blocking in greyscale values (in PS): say a person is wearing dark blue pants, a bright yellow top, and has a mid skin tone. Do all these parts of the character have the same mid, light and dark values? And its when I add colors afterwards that dark/light parts are differentiated? Or will the bright shirt have a brighter mid-tone than the pants?

Sorry if that's worded poorly, haha. It's kind of hard to explain.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
tumblr_m3nv0wBCSY1qed0geo1_500.jpg

I've been drawing soccer since I was a little kid. Back in school i drew soccer comics like, all the time. maybe its time to get back to that? The most fun part was drawing your friends as soccer players, so here's my friend Jorge (aka: Lalo) from Mexican middle school :)

He probably had the best field vision out of our team, really good technical skills (unlike me who, er, likes to shoot as hard as possible all the time and hope it works out)

jillytot

Some concepts for a story i am working on. First time posting art here. Looks like there is a lot of talent around here from what i see.

BT_ColorTest.jpg

SheylonColorTestFinal.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some concepts for a story i am working on. First time posting art here. Looks like there is a lot of talent around here from what i see.

Those are amazing! Link me to your blog/twitter/da so I can officially stalk you :]

zoukka

I know it would read completely different, but I think it would look better with all the text in one place. Now there's no room anywhere which kinda goes against the whole mountains! vibe.

The colours are spot on.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I know it would read completely different, but I think it would look better with all the text in one place. Now there's no room anywhere which kinda goes against the whole mountains! vibe.

The colours are spot on.

Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Doing an exhibit at a jazz bar called Kind of Blue, here are some picks from my sketch book. Im gonna transfer them onto canvas and redraw them in blue tones:

They're all rough drafts, I'll exhibit about 30 marker paintings. Excluding some receipts Ive drawn on.

Jhoan

Highluxury, that looks amazing! I love the simplicity of the lines; it makes it look you did the figures in one massive stroke. The textures look great too.

I gotta get around to posting some more of my subway sketches soon. I just need to find my phone's USB cable, or charge my camera's batteries and take pictures of them. I've done a lot more of them; they're pretty fun to do.

Highluxury, that looks amazing! I love the simplicity of the lines; it makes it look you did the figures in one massive stroke. The textures look great too.

I gotta get around to posting some more of my subway sketches soon. I just need to find my phone's USB cable, or charge my camera's batteries and take pictures of them. I've done a lot more of them; they're pretty fun to do.

Thanks! Yeah, I did indeed. I never use an eraser. I just keep going. Anything/everything I ever do comes out in one go. Drew strictly with ball pens for years. That and most of my sketches/works have flaws, but I just build on them and turn the result into something different than I began with.

Thats probably the reason why people tell me, my style is so oddly original (Well my motives/composition are anyway).

Some times when Im done with another sketch, I go back to a previous one and add details if I feel they fit or compliment the idea/concept.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
godofwar.jpg

A shitty test sketch i did like 5 years ago on painter. I don't have any work i can legally post atm but i will get around to doing some personal stuff soon hopefully.

Prax

Sorry to be "This guy", but are there any tutorials online for this effect in photoshop? As in the crinkled or slightly old paper style?
There probably are filters/fill patterns, but I think it's better if you just scan in or find a really high res texture of old paper yourself. Then just throw it on overlay or any of the other modes and see what looks nice.

Sorry to be "This guy", but are there any tutorials online for this effect in photoshop? As in the crinkled or slightly old paper style?

Nothing to be sorry for, i used a photoshop brush to get this effect applied on a new layer and then played around with the opacity. I can PM the brush file if you'd like

Aselleus

Neo Member
There are some great pieces here. :3c

These two of mine aren't too serious, but maybe they'll make someone laugh.
I get sucked into random generators too easily.

"This animal is covered in dark pink scales and has a body shaped like a turtle. Its face resembles that of a cat and its eyes remind you of a rat's. It has a pair of long horns and a set of bat-like wings"

c8f1d29f61cd53c4b41f0fb5eb74ab7c-d2zpelm.jpg

"You are a tsundere of doom in the land of dragons and tea your specibus is fistkind your consorts are fat birds."

I wish it could've been fisticuffs instead. Because I love that word

Newcanvas.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Quick question for art Gaf,

What is the best way to use india ink for drawing without a quill, or calligraphy quill? I have not uploaded any physical works here, but this image I am posting is from an artist with very similar work to mine. I would love to be able to draw with the dark blacks of india ink, because pigment pens really aren't my thing.

Also, when a work is finished, how do I scan/edit in a way that the image is completely black and white, and everything is deep and dark?

tumblr_m3r012P1vl1r8e98zo1_1280.jpg

Dreweyes

What is the best way to use india ink for drawing without a quill, or calligraphy quill? I have not uploaded any physical works here, but this image I am posting is from an artist with very similar work to mine. I would love to be able to draw with the dark blacks of india ink, because pigment pens really aren't my thing.

Also, when a work is finished, how do I scan/edit in a way that the image is completely black and white, and everything is deep and dark?

Good guide to getting the blacks black in their own layer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDq426DMC04&feature=share

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The software that comes with most scanners will have the option of scanning in color, grayscale, or black and white. I wouldn't recommend black and white though, because it's very sharp and full of noise, even if your drawing is in ink. The better option would be to scan in grayscale then play with the levels in photoshop.

Aselleus

Neo Member

I use watercolor/acrylic brushes when I use ink. It can't be cheapo wal-mart brand, but the kind that costs ~around five dollars a brush from your local art store. Just have a small thing of water nearby to rinse.

Does anybody here have a good online tutorial that teaches you how to paint with light sources and stuff on for example metal balls or whatever? I find it really hard to try to differ in materials only by using different lighting...

Futureman

Does anybody here have a good online tutorial that teaches you how to paint with light sources and stuff on for example metal balls or whatever? I find it really hard to try to differ in materials only by using different lighting...

you may have seen this posted already, but I'm loving the blog www.ctrlpaint.com

Check it out. There's about 100 or so free videos on his blog, which are all very good. I've been going through them and picking up a ton of little tips.

here's one that is sort of up your alley:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/5/26/studying-glossiness.html

he also has a premium $10 lesson which sounds like what you want:
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/store_catalog/1314018600030.html

Top Bottom