• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Arci thanks for that, Im eating it up :3

Last soccer piece for a while, gotta focus on portfolio building and finding a job in SF :)

tumblr_m5gppqOUiD1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Also, somebody from GAF asked the following on Tumblr, figured the answer may be useful to a few here:

Hey, saw some of your work on GAF. I haven't post much of my work on there but I come from more of a illustration background and I'm trying to do concept art.But I wonder, do you use reference for most of your work or no?

It entirely depends, for the most part the answer is no, buuut:
-Particular poses and anatomy checks. I will usually draw out the figure from my imagination and then check some photos and go to the mirror to do some fixes. I keep myself in good shape and have a full sized mirror, so checking muscle anatomy is easy this way. Hands tend to look a million times better when referenced, also (just remember, everybody has different hand types, dont neglect that!)

-I look at a lot of environment refence all the time and draw it out so that I can remember it later when I need it. Creating a visual library in your head is extremely important for environment and character work. Over the last couple of years I had a lot of projecs that required urban settings, so I can draw a city environment mostly from memory, but if I was going to do a sci-fi piece, for instance, then I would spend some time looking at reference and incorporating it more.

-Color reference is crucial as well and most people forget about it. I’m a better painter now than I used to be, but before coloring a piece I tend to look for reference that has a pleasant color palette that I want to borrow the overall tone from. This sets me up in the right direction right away, saves a lot of time and teaches me what exact colors I want to use in certain situations

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey TabletGAF, I'm soon to be purchasing a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet to help me transition into digital art. For those who are familiar with it, do you recommend getting a surface protector for it? I hear the nibs can wear down pretty fast on the surface itself.

Unicorn

Hey TabletGAF, I'm soon to be purchasing a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet to help me transition into digital art. For those who are familiar with it, do you recommend getting a surface protector for it? I hear the nibs can wear down pretty fast on the surface itself.

I have a wacom tablet that I've had for roughly 6 years. Granted, I rarely use it, but I would assume the nub wear would correlate to the amount of pressure applied while using it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think those panels are visually very appealing but also kind of incoherent.

Is that plane supposed to be flying over the city we see in the first panel? Has the destruction of the city already taken place? The composition also suggests that the Nazi officer is inside the airplane but the rectangular window pane in the second image makes me think he isn't.

Obviously these are all things you could easily clear up on the following pages.

Pretty sure the swastika on the plane is turned the wrong direction. Was that already mentioned?

Mistle

Can't decide which is better. Thoughts?
The lower-ear version was the original version and I painted the whole thing with them lowered. It was only after I signed the piece and called it finished that I decided to quickly change the ears. Now I can't make up my mind :O

I'm leaning towards the raised ear version.. it fills the frame better. But the lowered ear version looks a lot more sad, which was the initial emotional goal.

Jhoan

Welp, I just got a Wacom Bamboo Capture and it feels so weird; everything is so sensitive. Is the learning curve high for these things? I have the Bamboo Dock program open, but I can't quite figure out how control this thing.

Ken

Welp, I just got a Wacom Bamboo Capture and it feels so weird; everything is so sensitive. Is the learning curve high for these things? I have the Bamboo Dock program open, but I can't quite figure out how control this thing.

?

I've never had to use a dock on my Wacom Intuous; just installed the drivers, set up some key bindings, and started drawing.

^That's cool. Could you share the list of things to draw?

ianp622

Can't decide which is better. Thoughts?
The lower-ear version was the original version and I painted the whole thing with them lowered. It was only after I signed the piece and called it finished that I decided to quickly change the ears. Now I can't make up my mind :O

I'm leaning towards the raised ear version.. it fills the frame better. But the lowered ear version looks a lot more sad, which was the initial emotional goal.

http://www.abload.de/img/mannyfinsmalld1kjy.png[IMG] [IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/mannyfinearssmallcr8lj.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

If you want it to be sad, choose the lower-ear version and drop the upper outside corners of the eye-lids.

Jhoan

?

I've never had to use a dock on my Wacom Intuous; just installed the drivers, set up some key bindings, and started drawing.

^That's cool. Could you share the list of things to draw?

I finally learned how to use it after viewing the program's tutorial. Since I already have Photoshop and am using it, I installed Photoshop Effects for the heck of it. It still feels weird looking at everything that I do on the screen after coming from drawing on a sketch pad/painting; I know the Cintiq models (as pricey as they are) allow one to look and draw on the pad itself. I'm doing two digital drawings currently; one by using only the laptop touch pad, and one with the tablet/pen. I'll post those when I finish them.

Timo, thanks for posting the list. I should do a couple of them to get a feel for drawing with the tablet.

Ken

Does anyone have any resources or guides for digital painting? Something that would be really awesome would be something that shows the progression from rough draft to finished painting?

I've uploaded a bunch of my stuff to a tumblr but I'm too self conscious to post it at the moment.

I think I will though once I become more experienced and feel confident enough to show off.

Prax

I'm thinking this should become a separate thread!..

Does anyone actually ever complete any of these challenges? XD
I always see people START them, but I rarely if ever see anyone with the endurance to go through with all of it.

A few recent commissions~!

And my own stuff! Genderbends of my characters and a bus sketch that I cheaply flatted in~:

I like looking over my art and thinking "wow.. I am really inconsistent. >_>"

Got my exhibit coming up and want to show some of the illustrations Ive been working on.

The place Im showing off is at a jazz bar, called Kind Of Blue. So I went with a theme of drawing these illustrations with different shades of blue.

-

There's a faint color in the labyrinth spelling "soul" in danish:

The "weight" of telling lies:

Going to add a Speech bubble saying: "Im an artist, not drawn by an artist" to her in the upper left corner:

Looking to buy a pen tablet for digital art, which wacom tablet is the best? There's the bamboo, pen and touch, touch and capture, it's kinda confusing.

spats

I did a Spider-Man

theamazingspiderman1.png

Looking to buy a pen tablet for digital art, which wacom tablet is the best? There's the bamboo, pen and touch, touch and capture, it's kinda confusing.

Wacom doesn't really make bad tablets. A Bamboo is just fine if you want a reliable, no-frills tablet that'll last you a long time. How serious are you though, and what's your budget like? Their Intuos line is fantastic, but a bit pricier.

chumps

If you can afford it, I'd consider a wireless Intuos4. For me, wireless takes out a huge amount of hassle because I use a tablet for everything.

The Intuos4 uses Bluetooth, which I like, but performance can be spotty vs the Intuos5, which uses a RF USB receiver, which I don't like, my rMBP only has two usb slots and it's ugly.

I'm hoping Wacom switches back to Bluetooth with 4.0 support for the Intuos6.

I did a Spider-Man

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6wPu_yuu8PA/T_gxGDnGnyI/AAAAAAAAGsA/gWMJ2LPx3QE/s1200/theamazingspiderman1.png[/ig]

Wacom doesn't really make bad tablets. A Bamboo is just fine if you want a reliable, no-frills tablet that'll last you a long time. How serious are you though, and what's your budget like? Their Intuos line is fantastic, but a bit pricier.[/quote]

[quote="chumps, post: 39644963"]If you can afford it, I'd consider a wireless Intuos4. For me, wireless takes out a huge amount of hassle because I use a tablet for everything.

The Intuos4 uses Bluetooth, which I like, but performance can be spotty vs the Intuos5, which uses a RF USB receiver, which I don't like, my rMBP only has two usb slots and it's ugly.

I'm hoping Wacom switches back to Bluetooth with 4.0 support for the Intuos6.[/quote]
thanks, i might be able to get an intuos brand, what's the difference between the intuos3 and 4? also, i don't have the greatest pc on hand so should I take that into consideration?

spats

thanks, i might be able to get an intuos brand, what's the difference between the intuos3 and 4? also, i don't have the greatest pc on hand so should I take that into consideration?

The newer one is just a hardware refresh that looks sleeker and has more buttons. It also has twice as many pressure levels as the old one, but 1024 that the older one has is more than enough in my opinion. My first tablet, the Wacom Volito had half of what the Intuos 3 has and I didn't have any problems with pressure accuracy.

Most pc's shouldn't have any sort of problems with Wacom tablets. It's just an input device, so it's not that hardware intensive.

The newer one is just a hardware refresh that looks sleeker and has more buttons. It also has twice as many pressure levels as the old one, but 1024 that the older one has is more than enough in my opinion. My first tablet, the Wacom Volito had half of what the Intuos 3 has and I didn't have any problems with pressure accuracy.

Most pc's shouldn't have any sort of problems with Wacom tablets. It's just an input device, so it's not that hardware intensive.
that's great, it's just a shame that Amazon doesn't have any new intuos3s in stock just used ones.

edit:should i buy a nib pack or are the nibs durrable?

Jhoan

that's great, it's just a shame that Amazon doesn't have any new intuos3s in stock just used ones.

edit:should i buy a nib pack or are the nibs durrable?

If you buy it new, it should come with a pack of 3 extra tips. The tips feel pretty sturdy. I personally bought a Bamboo Capture recently tablet to start with which is a pretty good deal at 90 bucks with free shipping from Newegg.

Otherwise, if you really want an Intuos that badly, I would recommend checking craigslist; I almost got one for 90 bucks used but I was too lazy to meet the guy down at his place so there's some pretty decent deals there. If you can, then ask the person to lower down the price by about $10-$15.

It's been a while since I've shown anything. I can't show you all my initial digital sketches yet since I'm not done with them (I gotta get rid of that summer laziness that I've been feeling!). My tablet is connected and Photoshop is open though. So I'll show some subway sketches in the meantime as well as few non-subway sketches:

This is a lighthouse that was on the northern side of Roosevelt Island that I sketched because my phone ran out of battery:
2W1gsl.jpg

My sketch pad's cover (apologies for the crappy phone pic quality). The sentence that I wrote on top in Spanish says "Draw something dammit!"
DeY0Ul.jpg

My niece:
uF9sAl.jpg

Subway sketches:
VAjqLl.jpg

vYkqcl.jpg

GkWsUl.jpg

jRFiUl.jpg

NoNELl.jpg

TMejzl.jpg

DePZnl.jpg

1Lqrvl.jpg

jo1zWl.jpg

jarosh

Made this for my wife's birthday. A pixel/voxel version of us as a key chain, 3D-printed (got it made in two different sizes).

Starts with the pixel art in Photoshop, then the 3D model and at last the finished product:

bpixels2.png

bvoxels.png

T_bpxreal1.jpg
T_bpxreal2.jpg

T_bpxreal3.jpg
T_bpxreal4.jpg

T_bpxreal5.jpg

Higher res shots as links:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8615357/bpixels/S_bpxreal1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8615357/bpixels/S_bpxreal2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8615357/bpixels/S_bpxreal3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8615357/bpixels/S_bpxreal4.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8615357/bpixels/S_bpxreal5.jpg

Heres some more progress on that piece.
Looking good man, gives me a Naruto vibe. How was your move?

I feel like I haven't posted in ages! I'll post a WIP as well. I've been working on a LOTR piece. I have started the coloring of it but this is what I have to show at the moment.

Screen+shot+2012-07-01+at+12.04.23+AM.png

Oh, and some fish!
I did these a few weeks ago, but hadn't posted them!

Screen+shot+2012-05-27+at+12.29.55+AM.png

Prax

Yay~! New art~!
More superhero-ish stuff.
Maybe I just like costume-designing in general. xD

sage___scholar_and_scavengar_by_meibatsu-d561am0.png

mint___knockdown_knight_by_meibatsu-d5642ur.png

I'm not exactly happy with the shading.. it looks kind of weird, and I feel like I missed some spots, so I might go back and touch it up at some point.. but after spending about 8 hours on each one (I sometimes don't even know why it took so long.. I think half the time was just lineart/inking), I decided to end the madness and call it a day.

Vespa

That first one is amazing, Steve! :eek:

Collab with my friend Ian!

My turn for colours and rendering:
253Print_BigMacXGunstar_F.jpg

Ian's original sketch:
806bigmacSKETCH.jpg

I think the print is being shown/sold at skatelab in a few weeks.

Steve: Glad to see you blowing up lately man.

Vaspa: Kick ass digital paint.

lady02.jpg

It is what it is.

Love this. Love the thick lines. I wish I could do interesting things with color.

I've been doing some more comic work, as well as improving some old rushed/plain bad panels that I had done when I had a stricter class deadline and less of a grip on drawing these characters:

Top Bottom