• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

jujubeads

My second try with Hexels... A tribute to the Journey of a lifetime.

journey_in_trixels_by_mdk7-d5yrjl7.jpg

i love it! new desktop wallpaper.

Ran rp

Drawing humans correctly is hard. Getting the positioning, size, and shape of all the bones and muscles etc. right is so time consuming. And then there's balancing the figure and drawing in perspective...

legacyzero

Banned
I'm so proud! My first full color image. I'm usually only able to do drawings, but have never really attempted color. Still learning, but I'm happy with it.

ixUIgvMLJvZm0.png

jujubeads

I'm so proud! My first full color image. I'm usually only able to do drawings, but have never really attempted color. Still learning, but I'm happy with it.

congrats, man -- she looks good. ive never been comfortable using colors. i find it daunting as hell, especially when it comes to painting skin.

C.B.

Cross posting from dA:

You already know my thoughts on this, but man. I really love this.

There is any thread where I can request someone to bring back to life a character that I create ten years ago?

Do you mean like, to commission someone to draw your character? What kind of work are you needing done?

It's the shading that gets me. I'm trying to figure out what is too much, and not enough. Pain in the ASS lol

Congrats! And yeah, that's a feeling that will probably never go away, no matter how long you paint for. But it's also the feeling that will keep you coming back for more. In short I would say start paying attention to your values (darkest to lightest) and learn about "cast" and "form" shadows. Also, some people paint in black and white first ( to establish the form and values with a bit more speed and precision) then add washes of colour over it. May be worth looking into for a starting point.

Something I was actually working on around December? Or early January. I can't even remember. I have kind of torn feelings on it, every once in a while I open up the file tot think about finishing it or not, but I tend to think it will be too much work for little reward. Composition seems off to me, body language feels kind of stiff...The pencil sketch feels way more homely. But this...I dunno what this is.

I hate leaving paintings unfinished but my turn around time is so slow. I've spent about a week on it so far, but I can easily see it turning into a 4 week thing :c Also the face/hair looks kind of stupid at the moment.

xam3l

Do you mean like, to commission someone to draw your character? What kind of work are you needing done?

No. I just suck at drawing or 3d modeling. And I see so much awesome work that I just wondering if someone with free time, would be willing to do something with it. There are any real purpose behind it.

Ran rp

If anyone wants to take part in a fan driven AKIRA x Simpsons crossover book I created a thread here with all the info. You get to draw 5 pages of the manga in your own style using Simpsons characters.

Edit: Artist limit reached!

C.B.

Finally finished!

Looks considerably different from a few weeks back I think. There are some parts I'm still unhappy about but I'll call it a learning experience and keep it all in mind next time. I'm pretty anxious to see how it prints!

And now it's time for me to stop spamming this thread for a little bit.

No. I just suck at drawing or 3d modeling. And I see so much awesome work that I just wondering if someone with free time, would be willing to do something with it. There are any real purpose behind it.

Hmm you might be hard pressed to find anyone who will do more than a sketch unpaid. Wish I could spare the time, but I have quite a few things stacked up already. Good luck none the less!

I'm making my first sculpture with some clay-but-not-clay stuff and it is horrid! Too much patience involved, I can't deal with this >:O

Yo guys, I hate to ask for $ and I feel weird about making a thread for this, but my wife just launched a Kickstarter yesterday and Im trying to help spread the word.

Shes a fulltime game artist, but shes trying to get her side business going. Its mostly product design, t-shirts, that kind of thing and were making a plushie out of one of her new characters, Crabapple

1491f2c6c76298c705e5a69580c79099_large.jpg

3540e40f868a138ac968ded0ba9f63c4_large.png

If you can check it out and spread the word a bit, I definitely appreciate it! Kickstarter is here, twitter here.

Thanks!

This is the cutest thing ever.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Awesome work Shig... looks like you're using PITTS right?
A Pitt for the linework there, Tombow brush pens for the shading. Most of these I've just been using the brush pens, I like the control of fine tips a lot better, but brush pens give so much better line variancies and I could use a lot of work in that department.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Does anyone know any good videos for learning more about drawing American/Disney style characters?

Anything that looks rough and really expressive.

Futureman

+1 Servbot!

some questions for you....

website/portfolio?
training/education?
hardware/software you use?

I love your frog character. I love character design!

srenity

Neo Member
Does anyone do their artwork on their laptops? I've decided to get a laptop to do my drawings when I'm not at home (mostly for school) and was wondering if getting one with a dedicated graphics card is a big requirement. I'll be mostly using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator and Corel Painter. Since I don't know much about what to look for, my bf narrowed it down to two:
ASUS A55VD-AH71
Acer Aspire V3-571G-9686
Between the two, which one would be best for my needs? Other suggestions would be great too. Thanks in advance!

Prez

Can I ask for advice on learning to draw in this thread? I've been wanting to draw for a long time but I could never get started. I want to draw realistic figures with simple clothing, but I can only find anatomy books for the nude body and that's not what I want to draw. I think the best way for me to start is by copying from photos and focus on the face first. Could someone recommend me some books that could help me with copying from photos, drawing faces and clothed figures?

MrBig

Can I ask for advice on learning to draw in this thread? I've been wanting to draw for a long time but I could never get started. I want to draw realistic figures with simple clothing, but I can only find anatomy books for the nude body and that's not what I want to draw. I think the best way for me to start is by copying from photos and focus on the face first. Could someone recommend me some books that could help me with copying from photos, drawing faces and clothed figures?

When learning to draw figures the focus is on nude figure and the underlying muscular/skeletal structures because without understanding how bodies are constructed, how everything interacts, protrudes, bulges, contracts, etc it is difficult to make a convincing figure when all of your underlying knowledge of anatomy is completely wrong, even if the specific bits of anatomy aren't actually visible in your drawings.

Does anyone do their artwork on their laptops? I've decided to get a laptop to do my drawings when I'm not at home (mostly for school) and was wondering if getting one with a dedicated graphics card is a big requirement. I'll be mostly using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator and Corel Painter. Since I don't know much about what to look for, my bf narrowed it down to two:
ASUS A55VD-AH71
Acer Aspire V3-571G-9686
Between the two, which one would be best for my needs? Other suggestions would be great too. Thanks in advance!

Also look in to getting a windows tablet with pen input, especially if you don't already own a wacom.

egyptlookinup.jpg

egyptlookindown1.jpg

egyptstraiton.jpg

Another 3 this week.
GDC was awesome last week. I recommend it to you guys/gals that are interested in concept art work. You get to meet a lot of cool people and companies.

Monocle

This should get you started. And I posted a few other good resources here.

Considering your interests, I'd start with The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis. And if you can find it for a decent price, the Famous Artists Course.

Ran rp

egyptlookinup.jpg

egyptlookindown1.jpg

egyptstraiton.jpg

Another 3 this week.
GDC was awesome last week. I recommend it to you guys/gals that are interested in concept art work. You get to meet a lot of cool people and companies.

Love these.

Yeah, I'd definitely love to get into concept art, and go to GDC. It's so expensive though.

This should get you started. And I posted a few other good resources here.

Considering your interests, I'd start with The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards and Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis. And if you can find it for a decent price, the Famous Artists Course.

Woah, thanks for posting this.

Top Bottom