• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Xun

Fantastic work guys! Impressive stuff.

Anyway here's a concept for the character in a game I'm working on, nothing amazing, but I wanted something incredibly simple:

iXunTgY.png

Hey guys, sorry I didn't post in a while, I got myself one of those 1-month vacations
banned
. But on the right side I manage to upload a couple of more things.

Here's a Serigraph I made later last year. It took me months to do with and the result was less than spectacular but it's nice to try unusual methods once in a while.

Here's the logo I started working, I haven't manage to set a good typography yet for it but I made seasonal variations.

YSlZW9a.jpg

Here's a fun excersise for my illustrator class, I had to do a book cover. I still don't have the hand on the brushes.

WdIUzWj.png

I keep completing my Fear Studies.

U11FTLv.jpg
3qqpfg0.jpg

And my favorite thing, I got the opportunity of painting a Mural, I never done it before so it wasn't amazing or anything like that but I worked hard and worked fast. And thanks to that I got invited to a contest.

Sorry for the art dump.

jujubeads

horsewgxtz.png

I can't get the colouring to blend well.. its either washed out and blurry or scruffy and the different lines are apparant..

use a soft brush with low pressure and keep sampling the blended color every few strokes.

i run into the issue of things blurring every so often, and ive found that it typically happens because ive failed to properly indicate the turning of the form.

jdl

Banned
horsewgxtz.png

use a soft brush with low pressure and keep sampling the blended color every few strokes.

i run into the issue of things blurring every so often, and ive found that it typically happens because ive failed to properly indicate the turning of the form.

or alternatively you can use a textured/fuzzy/spray brush to blend. depends on if you want a seamless transition or something with more grit.

Seems like a Wacom tablet makes all the difference. I struggle drawing anything on Illustrator and the whole brush selection is such hard work, is such a different beast.

Seems like a Wacom tablet makes all the difference. I struggle drawing anything on Illustrator and the whole brush selection is such hard work, is such a different beast.

I have Illustrator, and its a very slow process wrapping my head around some of its features. I use it mainly for logos, but I struggle with it a lot. Do you have photoshop? Or do you need to use vectors specifically?

I can heartily recommend the Wacom, mainly because it allows you to sharpen the edges of your brush which makes line work a lot cleaner, and you can vary the thickness of your brushes with pen pressure instead of doing it manually. My friend got the same one as me for £16 on ebay the other day.

Sorry forget to write photoshop before.

Servbot24

Banned
Did a quick Captain Falcon redesign this morning.

tumblr_mlasx8SSgF1rom6duo1_1280.jpg

Also for all you Dark Souls fans, they're having a contest on their facebook to design a sheild. You can win autographed copies of the game, get your design in the game, and get your name in the credits. :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey guys, just a reminder that my wife's Kickstarter ends in 4 days, so far were 150% funded! I know a bunch of Gaffers pledged so a huge THANK YOU for that!

Once we get to 7k (almost there) we get to produce twice the amount of Crabapples and everybody who pledged 35$ and above gets a free set of charms :)

087d7a5c85ee4389139f62f7d2d258cc_large.png

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inki-jinx/inki-jinx-crabapple-plush

Can anyone here give me a good through tip about shading breasts?

I can never achieve the shine and roundness I would like and it ends up flat and basic, even using references.

Phandy

Can anyone here give me a good through tip about shading breasts?

I can never achieve the shine and roundness I would like and it ends up flat and basic, even using references.

This is one of the best and simplest tutorials of quite a few basic concepts. I still go back and check em myself every now and then.
Also James Gurney writes some good stuff.

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/light-and-form-part-1_15.html

He ever uses breasts for you in the lighting section;

speculars.jpg

This is one of the best and simplest tutorials of quite a few basic concepts. I still go back and check em myself every now and then.
Also James Gurney writes some good stuff.

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/light-and-form-part-1_15.html

He ever uses breasts for you in the lighting section;

speculars.jpg

Thank you, the lesson in there seems pretty advanced and used a lot of complicated terms that just reminded me I'm a moron and it made my head hurt. I wish there was some dumbify version in there.

jdl

Banned
Thank you, the lesson in there seems pretty advanced and used a lot of complicated terms that just reminded me I'm a moron and it made my head hurt. I wish there was some dumbify version in there.

imitation of fellow artist or drawing from life are good possibilities. there's probably a dozen different ways to wrap your head around it.

imitation of fellow artist or drawing from life are good possibilities. there's probably a dozen different ways to wrap your head around it.

I leave work early tomorrow, so I'll take the time to try to paint a lot of breast. I want to be able do achieve something like this.

Different methods, Some more simple than others but they look natural, attractive and full of volume. I don't know what's screwing myself worst if the shading or the lighting.

Phandy

I have to be less of a prude while drawing nudity, I tried to start practicing the breasts drawings but I feel like a perv.

Anyway, Quick Skull sketch.

Go to real life drawing, you will stop being a prude very quickly.
And its amazing and you learn a shit tonne. I recommend it to anyone who wants to get into drawing/painting/etc.

Ran rp

Go to real life drawing, you will stop being a prude very quickly.
And its amazing and you learn a shit tonne. I recommend it to anyone who wants to get into drawing/painting/etc.

I'm curious, just how much do you learn from life drawing? I'm taking a class this Fall.

C.B.

PSY・S;54489486 said:
I'm curious, just how much do you learn from life drawing? I'm taking a class this Fall.

Studying a real life models allows you to learn not only genuine muscle structures of various different body types, you can see how the skin reacts in certain poses (loosening in some areas, folds, and taught in others). You also get to see which muscles flex durring particular poses. Bone structure as well. It also helps clear up some ambiguity of everyday poses (like for example a man sitting cross legged, drawing this from a real life study will shed light on how a man -actually- sits cross legged rather than having to imagine it all up from how you imagine one to sit).

It also gives you the chance to see how body fat is deposited around the body, as many online sources usually stick to very similar "ideal" body types. Slim with less fat and more muscle (especially true for male models).

I mean there's loads of other stuff that is learned as well, and learning from a real life model is usually more effective than a photograph, as photographs really flatten forms out, and without a great photographer some ambience can be lost.

my 2 cents yo.

Phandy

Yeah you tend to learn a hell of a lot about form and perspective. There's just something different about working from real life vs. a photo that makes you pay attention to certain things more.

Also life drawing is really great because it gives you really good time for practice, like straight up observation and drawing practice, in quite a pure way. Also half of what you learn is 'seeing' not necessarily doing. I always find that with people who are learning all the basics, there is a huge amount of learning to be done is figuring how to 'look' and 'see' properly. Important things you should be looking at but you don't because normal life doesn't require you to analyse anything like that.
My life drawing tutor at Uni, used to say if your not spending at least half of your time looking at the thing your drawing, then you are making stuff up.

I still don't pay attention to all the right stuff :/

Studying a real life models allows you to learn not only genuine muscle structures of various different body types, you can see how the skin reacts in certain poses (loosening in some areas, folds, and taught in others). You also get to see which muscles flex durring particular poses. Bone structure as well. It also helps clear up some ambiguity of everyday poses (like for example a man sitting cross legged, drawing this from a real life study will shed light on how a man -actually- sits cross legged rather than having to imagine it all up from how you imagine one to sit).

It also gives you the chance to see how body fat is deposited around the body, as many online sources usually stick to very similar "ideal" body types. Slim with less fat and more muscle (especially true for male models).

I mean there's loads of other stuff that is learned as well, and learning from a real life model is usually more effective than a photograph, as photographs really flatten forms out, and without a great photographer some ambience can be lost.

my 2 cents yo.

That sounds great, too bad that when I took the class it was just the same Fat naked old lady that couldn't hold a pose for more than 2 minutes without moving to another one, and love to just lazy up on the couch. :(

Ran rp

my 2 cents yo.

Oooh yeah, I definitely need to take this class. I've been having trouble with figuring out how fat and muscles react to different poses, and the "ideal body" thing is totally true.

Yeah you tend to learn a hell of a lot about form and perspective. There's just something different about working from real life vs. a photo that makes you pay attention to certain things more.

Also life drawing is really great because it gives you really good time for practice, like straight up observation and drawing practice, in quite a pure way. Also half of what you learn is 'seeing' not necessarily doing. I always find that with people who are learning all the basics, there is a huge amount of learning to be done is figuring how to 'look' and 'see' properly. Important things you should be looking at but you don't because normal life doesn't require you to analyse anything like that.
My life drawing tutor at Uni, used to say if your not spending at least half of your time looking at the thing your drawing, then you are making stuff up.

I still don't pay attention to all the right stuff :/

I've noticed that I'd spend a good amount of time on one pose just trying to break everything down so I could draw it accurately. It's sometimes a little discouraging when I feel like I'm taking way too long compared to the artists I watch on live streams, but I guess I'm doing the right thing.

That sounds great, too bad that when I took the class it was just the same Fat naked old lady that couldn't hold a pose for more than 2 minutes without moving to another one, and love to just lazy up on the couch. :(

Damn, that sounds awful. The art classes at my school aren't too hot but I hope this one goes smoothly.

So how do you guys normally do life drawings when you don't have a studio to go to? Just observe people in public?

Collete

After some while of being sick and other issues, decided to take a stab at painting again, and got this result...I was trying to draw someone drowning at first, but...It somehow became a weird flower. Go figure. Title: Optimistic Bloom, kind of inspired from an extended metaphor I wrote a month or so back.

Ive tried to teach myself to draw for years so Ive decided to take some drawing classes in the evening. These are my first attempt at portraits.

RXaBFbWl.jpg
[/IMG]

BlRjIf4l.jpg
[/IMG]

I was trying to find a place to post this, when this suddenly popped up lol.

I made my first animation that took me 3 weeks to do. I did all of it myself including the drawings, the voice, and editing it. I can draw 10x better but I don't have a drawing tablet yet (yeah I know i'm cheap) so I had to draw the whole thing with a computer mouse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqE_73zQlI

I would love some criticism on it be it good or bad. Just remember that this is my first animation so don't expect HarryPartridge or EgoRaptor from me lol.

gimz

1914D82C-C910-4A18-89FF-A84D95EC3ED2.JPG

im pretty happy with this, because 3 out of 5 photo material i used in this were taken by myself, so i feel like im actually creating this on my own

13+-+1

trying out my new brush pen

Top Bottom