• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Here's some of my stuff

I'll post some ballpoint sketches soon.

hearteyes.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
thanks ;D!

super sculpey (the grey one) and inside the figure is a skeleton made from steel wires
i switched to the skin colored one after this sculpt, kinda felt easier to work with :)

i also used warhammer paint for the coloring, i only have 4 colors, though.

Very nice. What is the rough size?

Fail to meet the deadline on my drawing for the contest but to my luck it was postponed to next week.

Here's what I've done so far.

Click picture for High Quality version.

The problem now is that since they gave us an extra week, they want something real special so I have 2 questions.

1- I already started painting with pencil sadly, what can I do to give the drawing a more professional look?

2- What am I going to do for a background? I'm thinking of either give it a soft grey watercolor background, mainly to stop the imperfections and dirt of the Paper. Or using Oil Pastel (well Crayons...) on the background.

C.B.

1- I already started painting with pencil sadly, what can I do to give the drawing a more professional look?

2- What am I going to do for a background? I'm thinking of either give it a soft grey watercolor background, mainly to stop the imperfections and dirt of the Paper. Or using Oil Pastel (well Crayons...) on the background.

Well I think it depends on what you mean by more professional? I think "professional" looks come from work that's just very carefully polished in every way the artist tries with their particular medium. But that also depends on what sort of thing they're going for.

And as for the background issue, I'd be careful putting water colour onto that paper, unless it has a really heavy weight (300 gm) otherwise you'll find it buckling and wrinkling. If it is average drawing paper, I'd avoid it completely. Best of luck though!

I'm finally getting around to inking these last pages of the second chapter of my comic. Just like, 4 more pages left.

imne3nq4oTv8E.jpg

I was contemplating completely dropping the inking part because I really wasn't feeling it..but now I'm having another think. I would update other work I'm currently doing but it's..kind of not appropriate.

Love your stuff Daedalius. Please bless us with more high quality art anything you wish. Just magnificent.

Anyway CB, the paper is quite thick, it should handle Watercolor beautifully. That being said, I might just go with a black/White pencil background, I don't know yet.

I'll take your advice and forget what the other people tell me, Pencil can be a good material as long as the work looks good. Worse case scenario everyone makes fun of me and I get to keep the work.

Flo

Been making books lately. They're all blank books, made the first one for myself and started using it already.

(Crosspost from Mental Health thread)

I just started this last one, it's going to be a literal 'little black book', I'm trying to make everything black. Including the glue. It's not practical per se, but a fun project.

Ken

Are there any good (preferably free) painting programs on the Mac? My Windows laptop pooped out and my copy of Photoshop is for Windows, so I'm stuck on a MBP for a few months.

Did another doodle for my pet project. This one's on Vita (mentioned in my last post), though it focuses more on his entire race, the Scerephim, in general.

Given that he's one of the main characters, I thought I'd give him some special attention into making him a cultural (or more accurately inter-species) melting pot. To start as a base, I looked up some Persian cat skulls because of the unique face shape it presents. I figured Vita would need some big eyes to be relatable because the large majority of the rest of his body is pretty inhuman.

skull-irregular-persian2.gif

tumblr_mirfqv0B6m1rjeer3o1_500.jpg

I even went as far as constructing a very basic skull for him to illustrate all the parts of his face have a purpose - the eyebrow ridges to emote, the anterior proboscis for gestures and making noises such as scratches and clicks for communication, etc.

Note that he's part of a much larger hivemind.

Xra4QQx.png
7LQ0Uas.png

I also did a more elaborate doodle than usual of him in power armor. Not really happy with it.

X0zFi49.png
S52nQZq.png

He's also got way too detailed a mug for a helmet to fit right in the first place, but what the hell.

Any suggestions? He's basically a Persian cat/anglerfish/Prawn mix right now but I still think he came out looking too much like a Doom enemy. I might have to dial the detail back a bit to make his face a little more smushy and "purebred" the way I'm intending.

UrbanRats

What do you guys think it's the fastest/most efficient way to build perspective lines in photoshop? For either 1 or more vanishing points structures.

What do you guys think it's the fastest/most efficient way to build perspective lines in photoshop? For either 1 or more vanishing points structures.

Probably Snap to Grid > Pen Tool > Stroke Path. Just put all of the perspective lines on a separate layer with low opacity.

I don't know Photoshop but Illustrator has a perspective line grid available at all times in the tools section.

I decided to keep my drawing in pencil and just polish it better, if they don't like it then fuck it. I'll keep it.
The end result should had every part as dark and smooth as the King and his arm.

zoukka

I usually just draw them. If you hold shift, you get straight lines. Draw a spot and then move the cursor where ever you need while holding shift and click again.

There's a fancier way too with the polygon tool. Change it from polygon to "star", put indent to 99% and add sides (something like 50-100). Then just make a few of these stars and you'll see that where they intersect they form a grid.

UrbanRats

Probably Snap to Grid > Pen Tool > Stroke Path. Just put all of the perspective lines on a separate layer with low opacity.
Yup, this works flawlessly, thanks.
I usually just draw them. If you hold shift, you get straight lines. Draw a spot and then move the cursor where ever you need while holding shift and click again.

There's a fancier way too with the polygon tool. Change it from polygon to "star", put indent to 99% and add sides (something like 50-100). Then just make a few of these stars and you'll see that where they intersect they form a grid.
The shift+stroke is what i was using, though it's annoying, because sometimes you want to start from the vanishing point and actually see where the line goes, given a middle point.
Using shift you have to know already beginning AND end of the line.

The star trick is very cool for quick perspective, though!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Nope

Make a new layer, go to filter > vanishing point

Youre welcome

Jhoan

Here are my latest drawing dumps from last week. Most of them are subway drawings save for the bear and the last person. The bear is a statue that's on display at The Met (a popular museum in NYC for the uninitiated) which I should've drawn using a pencil and eraser to get all the values properly (the one drawback of drawing in pen); the last one is my oldest brother who I drew yesterday (he looks a bit like a cyclops I noticed). I had the most fun drawing the first dude with the guitar bag and the person with the jacket over his head:

Here are my latest drawing dumps from last week. Most of them are subway drawings save for the bear and the last person. The bear is a statue that's on display at The Met (a popular museum in NYC for the uninitiated) which I should've drawn using a pencil and eraser to get all the values properly (the one drawback of drawing in pen); the last one is my oldest brother who I drew yesterday (he looks a bit like a cyclops I noticed). I had the most fun drawing the first dude with the guitar bag and the person with the jacket over his head:

I remember you posting some stuff from way back. I can see some improvement. Keep it up.

Jhoan

I remember you posting some stuff from way back. I can see some improvement. Keep it up.

Thanks, I will most definitely do. I still need to work on making more confident, straight lines as opposed to fuzzy, zig zaggy lines but I'll be more conscious of that.

After digging through my old posts in this thread and seeing my initial subway drawings, I definitely realize that I have improved. A few simple pointers from a pro helped a ton. Here's the initial one post for reference (with pictures):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36944274&postcount=2852

Archpath1

first time here, some draw study's of anatomy we had to do in my drawing course
all 3 done in pencil, first one though went over with pen to see the difference
got some other stuff i gotta take photos of

olympia

Those are some excellent studies my homie. How long did it take? I have to do some for my course, but I havent started yet.
Relatedly, here's a WIP:

qjelCdq.jpg

Feelin' really inspired by Nychos recently

Here's a sketch I did of a minimart I did while my friends were buying drinks.

oFHTK1o.jpg

PS: Thanks for the love at my previous post. Ya'll are too nice.

Archpath1

Those are some excellent studies my homie. How long did it take? I have to do some for my course, but I havent started yet.

normally class was Tues/ Thurs, each one assigned thurs critique on Tues, 4-6hrs i think each
they were done on an 18x24, construction boxes were around 8,10,12inches long, think you can see em in there, spinal cord had no ideal box just based on the curve all we had to go by, so i did mine pretty big

and thanks

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
So much freaking talent in this thread.

All right, I guess I can ask for help here? I just got the final edit back for my book and I'm attempting (lol I say that loosely) to design a cover for it for release.

This is about the extent of my artistic talent.

meaning none.

But I don't even know what to do to make it . . more professional? I can't color for crap, my background is sloppy and the whole thing just looks like a dude who has base knowledge of drawing tried to do it. What I really need to do is pay someone, but I don't even remotely have the funds.

Anyway, that's about it. I guess what I'm wondering is what does a fresh pair of eyes, especially an artist's eyes, see?

Feel free to be brutal. It needs it.

Mobius 1

Relatedly, here's a WIP:

Here's a sketch I did of a minimart I did while my friends were buying drinks.

oFHTK1o.jpg

PS: Thanks for the love at my previous post. Ya'll are too nice.

Great colors. Fine job sir. (or ma'am)

Archpath1

Anyway, that's about it. I guess what I'm wondering is what does a fresh pair of eyes, especially an artist's eyes, see?

Feel free to be brutal. It needs it.

i usually relate stuff to what i'd be working on (have a dragon on the book or something like that)
but thats usually not the case with book covers
summary of book?

otherwise i like what you've done :D

Top Bottom