• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer |OT| iOS Deck Building

I know it would take longer, but I think it would be beneficial to make every round a best of 3.

Too much randomness can completely impact a single match.

soldat7

Against insurmountable odds, octobot narrowly defeats the formerly undefeated and seemingly undefeatable (1-0 lifetime) soldat7 with a score of 74-72.

Great game!

octobot

soldat7 said:
Against insurmountable odds, octobot narrowly defeats the formerly undefeated and seemingly undefeatable (1-0 lifetime) soldat7 with a score of 74-72.

Great game!
I thought you had it for sure. The mid game had all monsters in the center and i had very little to deal with that, I recovered a bit but you had a killer last turn and I was quite surprised by the results. Great game though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
jesse custer--yeah i would definitely be up for another tourney. best of 3 or whatever not just for luck or whatever but just to get more games in :p

AstroLad: 106
JLateralus: 65
gg JL!

whoo--finals!

AstroLad said:
jesse custer--yeah i would definitely be up for another tourney. best of 3 or whatever not just for luck or whatever but just to get more games in :p

JLateralus: 65
gg JL!

whoo--finals!

Definitely would be into starting another tourney...once I get back from my vacation in Seattle, I'll start signups for a second one. Obviously, we should do a best of 3 to move forward in the brackets but any other rule suggestions would be appreciated.

I've updated the bracket:
Click here to view the bracket

Game on, folks!

eznark

Banned
Marshmellow, you around to get this thing done today?

Where you from? Seems like we're having some weird times for turns.

eznark

Banned
eznark: 71
Marshmell0w: 65

Good game dude! I was tense as hell on my last turn there. You had a monster hand that third from last I think it was.

what the fuck........

Flunkie

Banned
jessecuster said:
I know it would take longer, but I think it would be beneficial to make every round a best of 3.

Too much randomness can completely impact a single match.
This and not being on Astro's side of the bracket. :p

eznark

Banned
octobot said:
octobot 77 eznark 62. Good game eznark. Ended up closer than it seemed. Astrolad see you in the finals!

Considering I always try to build to constructs and f' monsters I was totally boned the first half of that game. Set up good for a mild comeback though!

octobot

eznark said:
Considering I always try to build to constructs and f' monsters I was totally boned the first half of that game. Set up good for a mild comeback though!
Yeah the middle dominated by monsters which is why I went a damage focused route, got some favorable draws throughout so there was plenty to kill. I was worried about the cards you were amassing and the end score was alot closer than the 30 point difference prior to the final tally

pulga

Banned
Down for a new tourney, but someone please give me a heads up when it kicks off!

I'm looking at you, Astrolad. *shakes fist*

eznark said:
eznark: 71
Marshmell0w: 65

Good game dude! I was tense as hell on my last turn there. You had a monster hand that third from last I think it was.

what the fuck........

Thanks for the game eznark. Sorry about the game extent, i was pretty dam busy and also sick from friday so i was getting to it whenever i could.

Excellent game though. Bloody hell thought i had that aswell when i got rid of those constructs. GG Well played :D

Good luck for finals.

octobot

Results of the final match are: octobot 76 AstroLad 61. Was a real good game. I went into the final scoring ahead by 40 or so but it still ended up close. Can't wait to defend my title in the next tourney!

eznark

Banned
Marshmellow said:
Thanks for the game eznark. Sorry about the game extent, i was pretty dam busy and also sick from friday so i was getting to it whenever i could.

Excellent game though. Bloody hell thought i had that aswell when i got rid of those constructs. GG Well played :D

Good luck for finals.

No problem at all. This game desperately needs some way to communicate in-game.

I've updated the bracket to reflect the final match. Congratulations to octobot for taking the tournament!

Wow, awesome tourney, folks! Once I get back home from vacation, I'll open signups for the next tournament. What are we thinking for rules...best 2 out of 3? 3 games and cumulative score goes forward? Swiss-style tournament (everybody gains points based on wins/losses/draws), where we have a set # of rounds and no eliminations? Let me know what everybody thinks and I'll get started on working it.

eznark

Banned
kryptikjoker said:
I've updated the bracket to reflect the final match. Congratulations to octobot for taking the tournament!

Wow, awesome tourney, folks! Once I get back home from vacation, I'll open signups for the next tournament. What are we thinking for rules...best 2 out of 3? 3 games and cumulative score goes forward? Swiss-style tournament (everybody gains points based on wins/losses/draws), where we have a set # of rounds and no eliminations? Let me know what everybody thinks and I'll get started on working it.

Thanks for setting this up, very awesome. Next time I think there should either be a round robin first or we do a best 2/3 with seeding based on the outcome of this tournament.

congrats, octobot!

Keasar

I have decided to put this game down for now after my 12th lost match in a row. It is "fun" for a while, but I just cant handle being so bad at it without any visible improvements. :(

galvatron

jessecuster said:
Oh man I have painted myself into a hell of a corner against DocWily.

I only have and can play 4 cards.

Yeah, that was pretty hilarious. I usually throw away my arbiter as soon as I'm low on apprentices. It might not be optimal, but I don't like the idea of having to throw away a card that's worth more than 1 point.

You did much better in the rematch!

BroHuffman: You just have bad luck against me. That last win was kind of autopilot. Cards just kept coming my way.

octobot

Great job and thanks for running the tourney kryptik. I think for next time best 2 out of 3 and a Swiss style would be good. Going to take longer but it should even bad draws out and give everyone a fair shot.

soldat7

Keasar said:
I have decided to put this game down for now after my 12th lost match in a row. It is "fun" for a while, but I just cant handle being so bad at it without any visible improvements. :(
Don't give up! Play the AI on easy a bunch of times and you'll start to get the feel for things.

I wonder if this thread should be moved to the Community section?

Keasar said:

I felt the same way when I first started playing, but look for different strategies you can employ. Try using lifebloods, constructs, or cards that draw additional ones in combination with one another and see how each card plays off one another. Once you get the hang of it, you can unleash some pretty devastating combos.

galvatron

The last turn was pretty replay-worthy...barely got to my construct that gave me an extra turn so that I could start it all over again through a long combination of drawing cards. I think the only card I would have wanted an didn't have was a hedron link device. Flytrap witch is cool, but she would end the game way before I could put up this score.

Alright, signups for the 2nd NeoGAF Ascension iOS tournament have opened! You can submit your entry on the following Google form link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlSZ2FUUjZDSWJhLW9vWjJqVWlhVVE6MQ

Signups will be open until 8/6/11, 12:00am Pacific (7:00am UTC).

Here are the details:

-Contrary to last time, this tournament will be a Swiss-style tournament, based purely on Wins/Losses/Draws and everybody playing the same # of games. Scoring will be based on your victories, instead of # of points scored in the game.
-The # of rounds will be determined based on the # of total entries.
-Opponents for the first round will be seeded randomly.
-Each round will consist of a best out of 3 series, and players will receive points based on Wins (3 points), Losses (0 points) and Draws (1 point). Additionally, the players will recieve the same points based on their performance in the round (if kryptikjoker beats AstroLad 2-0, then kryptikjoker gains 3 points for his performance in the match and has a total of 9 points (2 wins + match win))
-In subsequent rounds, you will be paired with an opponent that received the same or similar score as you.
-After all the rounds have been completed, the player with the highest score is the winner!

Let me know what you folks think about this format, I think it allows more games to be played as well as people with similar skill to play against each other.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hey kj, just throwing it out there, but do you think we could do a world-cup-style tournament? groups of 4 or so where you play everyone and the top two qualify for the knockout stages? if people really hate one-offs we could even make knockouts best of 3. i'm cool with whatever though, just a thought.

Huff

Banned
galvatron said:
BroHuffman: You just have bad luck against me. That last win was kind of autopilot. Cards just kept coming my way.

Yeah, I feel like I never get the cards I need when I play you. Maybe I don't have enough faith in the heart of the cards.

AstroLad said:
hey kj, just throwing it out there, but do you think we could do a world-cup-style tournament? groups of 4 or so where you play everyone and the top two qualify for the knockout stages? if people really hate one-offs we could even make knockouts best of 3. i'm cool with whatever though, just a thought.

The way that I have it set up, everybody plays at least 2 games per round, with probably around 4-5 rounds happening. So all players will play at least 8-10 games. Also, there is no knockout stage, just after 4-5 rounds, the player with the most points wins the tournament. Less climactic, but more fair, as people play against opponents with similar skill and have an equal chance of winning. I'm open to doing it the World Cup way, as well. Let me know what you guys prefer.

ACE 1991 said:
Really thinking about picking this one up.

You should! It's such a quick game to pick up and play, the mechanics are super simple to learn, which allows you to focus on your strategy and deck synergy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
just got the IRL expansion to this. can play up to 6 now. dowant.gif for the ios
new uber cards of each type:
RS10F.jpg

AstroLad said:
just got the IRL expansion to this. can play up to 6 now. dowant.gif for the ios
new uber cards of each type:

Absolutely dig the new cards, and the additional game mechanics: "Fate" is quite interesting, but the Void surfing adds a whole different layer of strategy. We added it to our game and constantly fought for cards to bring back Constructs and Heroes that were banished earlier in the game.

Signups for the 2nd NeoGAF Ascension iOS tournament are still open! You can submit your entry on the following Google form link:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFlSZ2FUUjZDSWJhLW9vWjJqVWlhVVE6MQ

Signups will be open until 8/6/11, 12:00am Pacific (7:00am UTC).

Additionally, it looks like people are interested in the World Cup-style tournament. So the entrants of this tournament will be seeded into groups of 4 and play each member of their group once. The top 2 players of each group will then move on to the elimination bracket, also in a best of 3 series. This should be fun, so the more entrants, the merrier! Good luck!

soldat7

Holy yes!

Ascension: Return of the Fallen is the first in-app expansion for the popular deck building iOS game Ascension: Chronicle of the Godlsayer. Conceived and designed by three Magic: The Gathering tournament champions, Ascension: Return of the Fallen introduces new game mechanics, and can be played as either a stand-alone game or played as an expansion for Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer.
Ascension: Return of the Fallen is quick to learn and easy to play. Game play revolves around a Center Deck containing Heroes, Constructs and Monsters; and players take turns recruiting Heroes or Constructs for their decks or defeating Monsters to earn honor and ultimate victory. New cards are revealed every turn, forcing players to react and ensuring that each game is dynamic and unique.

Continuing the epic struggle which began in Chronicle of the Godslayer, Vigil is threatened again as Samael the Fallen God has returned in his true form, intent on obliterating your world. Will you be able to overcome monstrous obstacles and assemble a mighty army to end Samael’s reign once and for all?

FEATURES

Play as a complete stand alone game
Play as an expansion for Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer
Full asynchronous support for multiplayer online games
Play against multiple A.I. opponents using varied strategies
Play live against others with “pass and play” multiplayer
Enhanced visual optimization for iPhone 4 and iPad using high resolution graphics designed for the retina display
Maintain and save multiple games
HIGHLIGHTS

Defeat Monsters for Honor and rewards
Automatic cleanup, shuffling and scoring
Universal App – play Ascension on iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, iPod Touch 3, or iPod Touch 4 for a single low price
Over 120 beautifully detailed cards / 65 Center Deck cards if played as an Expansion
Platform
iOS Universal App
Available
Fall 2011

eznark

Banned
I'm not real thrilled about the expansion. To be honest, I'd rather they get the core of the game built up then start releasing expansions.

ELO and a chat system...then go to expansions

Top Bottom