• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

suzu

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm making preparations to go back to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks for the funeral. Does anyone know about wearing white for a Chinese funeral?

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences.

For my grandparents' funerals everyone was in mostly muted colors (no red). You should ask your family about the proper attire though. But a white button-down shirt should be fine, if paired with a darker suit jacket/pants.

SRG01

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences.

For my grandparents' funerals everyone was in mostly muted colors (no red). You should ask your family about the proper attire though. But a white button-down shirt should be fine, if paired with a darker suit jacket/pants.

I'll note the red part. My dad mentioned needing white shirts and pants, but I'll probably pick that up when I'm actually in HK.

Also, if you're giving money (you're probably not because you're family), it would be via white envelope.

Yeah, I probably won't be giving out money, but it's still something good to note in the future. Thanks...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm making preparations to go back to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks for the funeral. Does anyone know about wearing white for a Chinese funeral?

For my grandfather it was white shirt + dress pants. IIRC I was given a black tie.

Whoo drama in life! While I made a thread on OT side I thought I should share here because it might relate more to how asian families typically work.

Put simply, my dad paid for my STEM degree in CS-CIS and I want a simple job as an ALT/English teacher in Japan (a job, not a career). So there's conflict and waves of guilt piled ontop of me to the point that I'm now second-guessing myself in finishing this job application (I haven't even fully applied yet haha) and that if I just scrap it all and focus on degree-related stuff such as coding on my freetime (something I never done) and the like.

Whoo drama in life! While I made a thread on OT side I thought I should share here because it might relate more to how asian families typically work.

Put simply, my dad paid for my STEM degree in CS-CIS and I want a simple job as an ALT/English teacher in Japan (a job, not a career). So there's conflict and waves of guilt piled ontop of me to the point that I'm now second-guessing myself in finishing this job application (I haven't even fully applied yet haha) and that if I just scrap it all and focus on degree-related stuff such as coding on my freetime (something I never done) and the like.

Put simply, who do you want to satisfy? Do you want to go your dad's route and make him happy or do you want yourself to be happy? Can you make you and your dad happy? Plan things out now and lay down your path. Consult with your dad and tell him how you feel.

Good luck and party on ^_^

I find it absolutely ludicrous that a Chinese American is seen as inferior to a white person when it comes to teaching English in China. Especially if you're bilingual in Chinese and English.

hirokazu

Do you actually like coding, or do you just do it and your degree because your dad told you so?

Asking because I would've thought with an interest in it do dabble in coding in their free time.

Just want to say I appreciate all the responses here, thank you. I'm right now gathering as much opinions as possible to formulate my own decision.

Do you actually like coding, or do you just do it and your degree because your dad told you so?

Asking because I would've thought with an interest in it do dabble in coding in their free time.

To clarify, I chose Computer Information Systems out of my own decision; no one forced me into it. The reason for choosing the degree was out of realism in that it would land me job security on top of comfortable salary.

To answer your question, I do not like coding. I can tolerate it and force myself to go through it, I can read and understand it, but I'm not enthusiastic to go do self-motivated coding projects on my freetime. My father has no influence on this aside from paying for the degree.

hirokazu

To clarify, I chose Computer Information Systems out of my own decision; no one forced me into it. The reason for choosing the degree was out of realism in that it would land me job security on top of comfortable salary.

To answer your question, I do not like coding. I can tolerate it and force myself to go through it, I can read and understand it, but I'm not enthusiastic to go do self-motivated coding projects on my freetime. My father has no influence on this aside from paying for the degree.
Got it. How long do you intend to teach English for? A lot of people do it as a break before starting their actual careers. Depending on how unreasonable your father can be, you could probably work out a compromise where you just do it for a year and then pursue a computing career.

I find it absolutely ludicrous that a Chinese American is seen as inferior to a white person when it comes to teaching English in China. Especially if you're bilingual in Chinese and English.

I know a British Born Chinese who's gone to teach in China, and he pretends he doesn't know any Chinese. It's better for your job prospects apparently!

vern

I'm sure you know it but that's because you don't gain any face having a Chinese person teaching you. Hard to show off to your friends by saying you have an American teacher for your kids, then showing your friends your teacher's picture and it's a standard Chinese dude.

Got it. How long do you intend to teach English for? A lot of people do it as a break before starting their actual careers. Depending on how unreasonable your father can be, you could probably work out a compromise where you just do it for a year and then pursue a computing career.

I've had a bunch of careers in my life, I taught high school in the USA for 3 years before getting fed up and heading off to China to teach. I did that for like 3 months before finding a non-teaching job. Now I've had a few careers out here in China not associated with education. He can come to Asia to teach and pursue other things including IT careers out here, or working remotely. He can easily find work online and be independent, be his own boss. No use being a slave to an actual career unless that's your goal in life, there are so many opportunities out here even for non-white people, despite what I said about face just before. I know black people, Asian Americans and Australians, and probably more I can't think of right now, that are making great things out of their life. Yeah there is discrimination here, and white privilege is huge, but there is discrimination everywhere and white priv everywhere. I say go for it, come out to China or Japan or wherever you want and enjoy not being in the American rat race.

Currently I work as a photographer (when I feel like it, got a gig in Thailand in two weeks and just wrapped up a project in Nepal!), I write, I do consulting, I teach a few students English just on my phone through WeChat because I can do it anywhere at anytime and I travel pretty much non-stop... wouldn't change my decision to come out to China 4 years ago for anything.

Will probably move to Taiwan soon though, internet in China is too shitty for me to deal with much longer.

Shouta

Nothing wrong with being an ALT for a little while. It's a unique experience and it's unlikely you'll get to live overseas and get paid to be there in your standard developer position. There's no guarantee that you'll even get accepted if you apply so there's really no harm in trying anyway.

If you do get accepted and go over, depending on the location and your situation, you might have a lot more time than you expected so you can easily spend of that over there keeping up to date on CIS so you're ready to hop into your career when you get back.

You can also save quite a lot if your situation is good and you don't crazy with money.

hirokazu

I've had a bunch of careers in my life, I taught high school in the USA for 3 years before getting fed up and heading off to China to teach. I did that for like 3 months before finding a non-teaching job. Now I've had a few careers out here in China not associated with education. He can come to Asia to teach and pursue other things including IT careers out here, or working remotely. He can easily find work online and be independent, be his own boss. No use being a slave to an actual career unless that's your goal in life, there are so many opportunities out here even for non-white people, despite what I said about face just before. I know black people, Asian Americans and Australians, and probably more I can't think of right now, that are making great things out of their life. Yeah there is discrimination here, and white privilege is huge, but there is discrimination everywhere and white priv everywhere. I say go for it, come out to China or Japan or wherever you want and enjoy not being in the American rat race.
Yeah, not saying they need to necessarily join the rat race, but the dad obviously wants them to make use of the degree. It can be really difficult sometimes juggling what you want to do and what Asian parent expectations are.

vern

Yeah, not saying they need to necessarily join the rat race, but the dad obviously wants them to make use of the degree. It can be really difficult sometimes juggling what you want to do and what Asian parent expectations are.

Yea but you don't need to follow whatever your parents want. I understand there are cultural issues at play but do whatever you want, be happy, experience life and the world and not a cubicle (unless that's what you want!)... most parents would be proud when you succeed and are happy following your dreams. They won't be happy at first perhaps, but when they see you succeeding they'll come around. And if they don't, well, fuck'em. Only get one chance, yolo and all that.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Nothing wrong with being an ALT for a little while. It's a unique experience and it's unlikely you'll get to live overseas and get paid to be there in your standard developer position. There's no guarantee that you'll even get accepted if you apply so there's really no harm in trying anyway.

If you do get accepted and go over, depending on the location and your situation, you might have a lot more time than you expected so you can easily spend of that over there keeping up to date on CIS so you're ready to hop into your career when you get back.

You can also save quite a lot if your situation is good and you don't crazy with money.

Listen to the man, he knows what he is talking about. :D

Moonkid

Exams finished woohoo, 4 month break here I come 😇😇 Gonna post some unrelated food pics when I get home lol.

Zoe

People on my Facebook celebrating that the little boy in the A Wrinkle in Time movie is Asian, but they made the character half black/half white -_-

Filipinos never get to play Filipinos.

Moonkid

P2SujvE.jpg

Vegan Thai food is yum, though expensive.

I went ahead and set the application in, I justified it as just an application anyway, we'll see where it goes. Regardless I appreciate the input you gave me everyone, really helped.

Can't wait for President Trump? We can all be the apprentice.

I went ahead and set the application in, I justified it as just an application anyway, we'll see where it goes. Regardless I appreciate the input you gave me everyone, really helped.
Congrats-ish! I know a lot of Asian-Americans who did JET, and they all had a great time.

...i wanna get off this merry go round ; __ ; halp

... on another note, i was watching westworld last night and the newest episode kind of showed a chinese businessman breathing down the neck of one of the main cast member and i was >___< i hope the china isn't going to be the nondescript bad corporation behind some of its plot points aaaaaaaaaaaa

zeemumu

...i wanna get off this merry go round ; __ ; halp

... on another note, i was watching westworld last night and the newest episode kind of showed a chinese businessman breathing down the neck of one of the main cast member and i was >___< i hope the china isn't going to be the nondescript bad corporation behind some of its plot points aaaaaaaaaaaa

I don't remember this part. I assumed that the council would for the most part end up being a faceless threat that would fuel the employee characters' motivations to act outside of their general duties but wouldn't have any real effect on the inner workings of the plot, like the walkers in The Walking Dead or the White Walkers in Game of Thrones. The actual character plots will all converge on
whatever Arnold left behind to finish his work of destroying the park.
The financial stuff about storyline deadlines and who's getting fired/promoted will probably mean nothing when shit starts going down.

Did you guys know that there's a Candle Cove show? I certainly didn't until about 30 seconds ago.

I don't remember this part. I assumed that the council would for the most part end up being a faceless threat that would fuel the employee characters' motivations to act outside of their general duties but wouldn't have any real effect on the inner workings of the plot, like the walkers in The Walking Dead or the White Walkers in Game of Thrones. The actual character plots will all converge on
whatever Arnold left behind to finish his work of destroying the park.
The financial stuff about storyline deadlines and who's getting fired/promoted will probably mean nothing when shit starts going down.

Did you guys know that there's a Candle Cove show? I certainly didn't until about 30 seconds ago.

ya i hope so. i hope it wont be a major plot point, is what im saying~

candle cove! wow! no, i didnt know :O

Top Bottom