• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

I wish there was a way to distinguish American Chinese cuisine from Chinese cuisine. They're about as related as German and Japanese food T__T.

The best AC food I've ever had was in SF. Like... damn.

Also, general tsao's chicken, and orange chicken, should be considered their own dishes, much like we consider pizza to be pizza, not Italian food.

I could use pizza right now...

Argyle

That reminds me, I need to learn to make mapo tofu. Anyone ever cook it?

This is my go to recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/mapo-tofu-sichuan-food-recipe.html

(Looks like the directions might be cut off? I found the same recipe here: https://food52.com/recipes/28917-fuschsia-dunlop-s-ma-po-tofu I bought Land of Plenty, which is totally worth buying and it's back in print in the U.S. so prices aren't crazy anymore)

Btw, it's worth it to get good toubanjan if possible. I always finish it with a sprinkle of ground Sichuan peppercorn, too.

Hey, remember that Bruce Lee movie about a white guy?

The Guardian: Birth of the Dragon: makers of film about Bruce Lee respond to 'yellowface' row

Small part of the article:

London adds that the promo reel that aroused online hostility was aimed at Hollywood film buyers, and was therefore a tool to enable inroads into a mainstream American audience. “It was made primarily to allow distributors to see the film as a marketable proposition. From a Hollywood standpoint, Birth of the Dragon looks like a foreign film: it has a largely Asian cast, it was financed by Asian financiers, there’s only a single white actor. What’s so funny was that, while we have been accused of tokenism over the portrayal of Asian characters, during the making of the movie we were concerned about tokenism for the exact opposite reason, because we only had one white character.”

Sure seemed like a token white dude.

omg those look very delicious!

Thanks!

This is my go to recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/mapo-tofu-sichuan-food-recipe.html

(Looks like the directions might be cut off? I found the same recipe here: https://food52.com/recipes/28917-fuschsia-dunlop-s-ma-po-tofu I bought Land of Plenty, which is totally worth buying and it's back in print in the U.S. so prices aren't crazy anymore)

Btw, it's worth it to get good toubanjan if possible. I always finish it with a sprinkle of ground Sichuan peppercorn, too.

Oh damn that looks great, gotta give that a bash

Bruce is literally East meets West... you don't need a white guy to bridge anything... Also Wong Jack Man wasn't a Shaolin Monk, he was just a Chinatown Kung Fu instructor who wasn't exactly happy with Bruce Lee teaching to non Chinese.

In a switch from food to music, Far East Movement released their newest track today! The music video is nice. Here is the YT link ^_^ The song features Yoonmirae aka Tasha aka Drunken Tiger's wife and Autolaser.

Have a good weekend, y'all.
nintendo-switch-logo-full-1-300x150-e1477002157736.jpg

Not interested in a Switch?

Too bad, back to food:

V2fnb2I.jpg

What should I do with these wings? Should I use the Asian conventional oven? Fry them in oil? Bake them?

I marinated them with MSG, Yeo's Sweet Chili Sauce, Haitai Chili Powder, and I was thinking of adding in some garlic.

Dude, that double fry sounds good. I might try that. My friend told me to grill them. Two options so far.

Dammit, I don't have any starch or bread crumbs ��

Was just informed that my grandmother passed away.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm feeling right now.

Sorry for your loss...did she raise you for a bit? I myself was raised by my maternal grandmother until I was 3 and then in my early teen years as well..so her passing was hard on me. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

SRG01

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm making preparations to go back to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks for the funeral. Does anyone know about wearing white for a Chinese funeral?

Top Bottom