• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

I'm in KL now and man its hot. I also cant stop eating. Hype completely justified.

Like the food here is so fucking good here its unbelievable.

Why? She hasn't been considered Asian for a very long time. She knowingly denies her Asianness and supports a hate group. She is white or so she thinks. Nobody takes her seriously and if they do, heh, they must have serious issues too.

Or are you talking about Asians who think they can be with the Nazi's and shit? Don't be embarrassed. They've gone off the deep end. There are no ways for us to help them see that their ways are wrong.

I don't feel embarrassed about it. I just feel sad how they ended up that way. *shakes his head*

In the Tulsi Gabbard thread I noticed a few posts that reminded me of how tired and old I find the whole India-Pakistan-Bangladesh-etc. rhetoric to be.

I mean, it's surprising, because even among people who otherwise don't seem to really care or know about what's messed up in their own country, when put under pressure, I too often see a "WELL, if we're being entirely reasonable the other side HAS done ..."

I can't start rolling my eyes fast enough when I hear that sort of bs.

Don't want to spoil too much about Fantastic Beasts, but I saw it yesterday and I realized afterwards that the cast was basically all white. For a movie set in NYC, it's a bit disappointing.

Harry Potter was basically all-white too.

Don't want to spoil too much about Fantastic Beasts, but I saw it yesterday and I realized afterwards that the cast was basically all white. For a movie set in NYC, it's a bit disappointing.

Harry Potter was basically all-white too.

HP has Cho Chang and the Indian twin girls and a black student. Glimpses of other races in the sea of VERY WHITE cast.

Precious, precious glimpses who carried token roles~

..... we have to be grateful right???? ; __ ;???

zeemumu

why are we trying to make Tila Tequila semi-relevant again

She will never be relevant. Shes the type of celebrity that needs drama and a media presence to survive because she doesn't actually have any talents to be famous for. Her most recent media appearances all involved nazis. That seems to be the only way that she'll get any kind of exposure since no one is going to hire her for anything else.

When you go nuts, you have to keep gradually amping up the insanity to maintain your popularity level. Worshipping Hitler is pretty much the craziest you can get short of murder, so since she's hit the soft cap for crazy, her exposure will gradually decline. That article wasn't even about her. It was about the restaurant apologizing for hosting that party.

So it's like most other movies, then. Is it good, though?

It was good. I legitimately cared about most of the characters and since the wizards in this one weren't a bunch of kids in school, the magic performed is much more advanced and impressive.

I will say that the American magic government is a lot more strict than the British one.

Yeah it's a good movie regardless. Thinking about the diversity afterwards soured my thoughts a bit though haha.

And of course no one else is willing to discuss it in the spoiler thread, instead focusing on the realism of character interactions.

Ashes

Banned
I was asked today to give an Asian persepective. They said, do you guys refer to god or gods when you're talking about God?

And I was like... You've got it all wrong. we actually call him darth vader.

Very confused they was.

hirokazu

I will say that the American magic government is a lot more strict than the British one.
This is an incredibly stupid rant, but calling the American wizarding government the Magical Congress made no sense to me. The British Ministry of Magic is equivalent to the executive branch of government... but Congress is the legislative arm? What's the President got to do with Congress? Film plot spoiler:
And then the President can make on the spot judicial decisions without a proper trial?

Does the American wizarding government not have separation of powers at all? Those things are core tenets of American democracy, so it's rather surprising that it doesn't exist in the parallel wizarding government.

Did JK Rowling just go "Fuck it, nobody understands or cares about politics, and I'm not gonna spell it out like it's The Phantom Menace..."?

zeemumu

This is an incredibly stupid rant, but calling the American wizarding government the Magical Congress made no sense to me. The British Ministry of Magic is equivalent to the executive branch of government... but Congress is the legislative arm? What's the President got to do with Congress? Film plot spoiler:
And then the President can make on the spot judicial decisions without a proper trial?

Does the American wizarding government not have separation of powers at all? Those things are core tenets of American democracy, so it's rather surprising that it doesn't exist in the parallel wizarding government.

Did JK Rowling just go "Fuck it, nobody understands or cares about politics, and I'm not gonna spell it out like it's The Phantom Menace..."?

The way that I understand it is that the branches are all combined in the Magical Congress but still operate on a legislative set of rules to determine large-scale threats with the president acting as a sort of speaker of the house.

And not-Johnny Depp was the one who sentenced them to death, so I'm guessing that since he seems to be the highest ranking member of the magical law enforcement, he's the one that oversees that, but the president can probably order it too.

The MIB stays winning as the most effective secret organization.

Alolan Ninetales is amazing

ninetales-alolan.jpg

I traded for a Vulpix since I have Pokemon Moon but I already used my only ice stone for my Alolan Sandslash.

Or how about are we really supporting the spirit of innovation with patents? I get the impression that people in the West have this romantic notion of innovation springing forth from nothing when the pragmatic explanation is more that the creative processes is iterative; bettering what works well and reworking what doesn't. If you can make the process of creation dirt cheap, you're essentially limiting the overall spirit of innovation by restricting ideas with patents. I'm not a fan of patents in general because of shit like patent squatting...but I recognize there is some purpose for its existence (drug development ....since the R and D/ clinical trials costs).

It's interesting hearing the Chinese inventors in that film saying how they're not getting credit for the stuff they build through their expertise in their factories compared to those in the West saying that China's just ripping off our ideas and manufacturing them.

zeemumu

Or how about are we really supporting the spirit of innovation with patents? I get the impression that people in the West have this romantic notion of innovation springing forth from nothing when the pragmatic explanation is more that the creative processes is iterative; bettering what works well and reworking what doesn't. If you can make the process of creation dirt cheap, you're essentially limiting the overall spirit of innovation by restricting ideas with patents. I'm not a fan of patents in general because of shit like patent squatting...but I recognize there is some purpose for its existence (drug development ....since the R and D/ clinical trials costs).

It's interesting hearing the Chinese inventors in that film saying how they're not getting credit for the stuff they build through their expertise in their factories compared to those in the West saying that China's just ripping off our ideas and manufacturing them.

I don't know if that applies in that guy's case. You're not really innovating by making an exact replica.

I thought it was kind of long. :p

Interesting read, though. Unfortunate that Asian Americans achieved "model minority" status partly at the expense of African Americans.

Blackhead

Redarse
Tall, pale and handsome: why more Asian men are using skin-whitening products
But some scholars have also pointed out that many Asian people don’t necessarily aspire for a “Caucasian whiteness”, but a “cosmopolitan whiteness” that transcends race and signifies mobility across national borders.

Like the emergence of the “metrosexual” (urban men who enjoy interests traditionally associated with women and homosexual men), the rise of male-specific whitening products may be explained by the demographic and social changes that have given rise to the view of the body as, in the words of UK sociologist Chris Shilling, “a project that should be worked at and accomplished as part of an individual’s self-identity.”..

In India, Bollywood superstar Sharukh Khan made headlines by endorsing “Fair and Handsome” skin whitening cream in 2008.

In South Korea, K-pop superstars promote homegrown brands such as The Face Shop and Etude House, and serve as ambassadors of a Korean male aesthetic: slim, youthful-looking, and fair-skinned.

While it is insightful to look at these historical and global trends, it’s also important to look at the individual users themselves, and the role whitening products play in their lives...

How Korean beauty helped me reconnect with my mother
I was never concerned with masculinity before, it was kind of a lost concept to me that seemed pointless. I grew up not realizing that Americans placed such value in their hypermasculinity and that men were supposed to be rugged, tough, muscular, and macho. I was flung into this Western idea of what a man should be and I certainly did not fit into it.

With my mom now removed from my life, I lost my source of Korean representation and an Eastern take on masculinity, one now in retrospect I’ve always connected more with. My high school had 5 other Asian American kids, and Asian actors or models weren’t really heard of. I was constantly bombarded with white skin, blonde hair and blue eyes. That’s what the standard of beauty was. That’s what everyone aspired to be, it seemed. I slowly started to shun my racial background, instead, trying my best to fit in. I wanted to be noticed and desired, so I started wearing colored contacts, lightening my hair and did everything I could to prevent from tanning. If someone tried to associate me with either my Korean or Puerto Rican heritage I would reply, “I’m basically white!”

But I wasn’t white. I never have been and never will be. It took me a long time to realize that no matter what I did or how I presented myself, I will always be the slightly effeminate Asian-Latino boy in other people’s eyes...

Eugene Salas is a native to the suburbs of Georgia with a penchant for writing and skincare. A Korean mother and Puerto Rican fathered offered Eugene a wide world view that drove an inquisitive mind to write about the perception of race, both externally and internally, while living in the bible belt.

I didn't think this was a big issue for Asian-Americans too when surrounded by so many darker skinned people?

My sister is almost obsessed with white beauty standards. All my sister's are on the bigger side but the youngest older sister is fascinated with it. Last weekend they were talking about a movie and how skinny one of the lead actresses was and she just kept rambling on about how she should be skinny now and in the past. Then she says she wants to make her eyes less chinky and more white. She often wants to stay a lighter skin tone but she can't. She cannot have black hair. Never. She has always dyed her hair really blonde or another color.

My two other sister's told her they would never be that skinny ever. Maybe when they were a kid, sure but not now. They love being on the bigger side of things, my two other sisters, but that other sister is just..... I don't know. I just don't know.

I don't understand why she just can't be happy being HMONG. Stop trying to turn yourself into something you aren't.

But other than that, I don't have any other anecdotal evidence that relates to skin-whitening and white beauty standards.

Oh god..... I went back and back and rewatched:

15 Types of Asian Guys

&

18 Types of Asian Girls

Hip-Hop, Thug, Geek, Hipster, Club, Party, Underachiever, more precisely I'm a bit of everything with Geek/Nerd being more prominent.
I grew up not deciding to set aside that I'm asian. I liked the style of skating and surfing clothing, wasn't even attempting to be a white washed asian person. That's just what I felt that I liked and was comfortable with in high school. You could say I was indirectly a nerdy - semi white washed teen asian guy.

Now I'm the badass, redneck, nerdy asian guy who likes to makes bows handmade, has done MMA, and likes shooting his own rifle at his property in the rural area, and plays video games.

I grew up not deciding to set aside that I'm asian. I liked the style of skating and surfing clothing, wasn't even attempting to be a white washed asian person. That's just what I felt that I liked and was comfortable with in high school. You could say I was indirectly a nerdy - semi white washed teen asian guy.

Now I'm the badass, redneck, nerdy asian guy who likes to makes bows handmade, has done MMA, and likes shooting his own rifle at his property in the rural area, and plays video games.

When you're a kid going into your teenage years, you don't necessarily know what you are. End of Elementary school and up to, maybe junior year, you should have a good enough grasp of what you really like and enjoy. Those things you liked and enjoyed will shape you into who you are and who you hang out with.

I was always splitting off into a variety of groups but I, luckily, knew that I'm still Hmong. I can't stop being Hmong or get rid of being Hmong. It's just who I am. Hanged out with the geeky white kids, some jocks, the black kids, hispanic/latino kids, the gangbangers (who were the majority since they were mostly speaking my language), a little bit of the goth and punk kids, etc. I just never really fitted into a mold.

All I knew was that I love videogames, drawing, fishing, looking fit-ish, going out to have fun, etc. and I formed a close tight bond with two other dudes who were the same-ish.

Does anyone remember the new book that was posted not that long ago... I think it was about the experience of asian americans. I thought it was posted in this thread and didn't get a separate thread but I can't find it now and my online list from my library got deleted somehow. :(

Edit: Found it, it was the The Fortunes.

robox

i've been in china for 3.5 weeks now. bounced from my dad's home town and village to bigger cities like guangzhou and shanghai. even joined a chinese tour group to see what it's like on the inside.

i've had so many thoughts and observations. i used to be what-the-hell-china but been slowly warming to it
(considering the rest of the world haven't been much better; but really it was supposed to be china getting better, not the other way around)

Heading back home from Malaysia. Man that was great. Had an amazing time in KL and Singapore. KL especially since quality food is so damn cheap I almost feel like I'm cheating them somehow.

I think my favorite part was just being a brown dude going about my business without any weird looks, harassment or issues. In public I was speaking in my language and some Arabic with my family back home and no one batted an eye or anything. Super friendly people helped me out with getting around and other inquiries. Many gave their condolences about Trump lol.

Cambodia was interesting. It was cool that they accepted US dollars basically everywhere. Tuk Tuks were a lot of fun to get around in and I think I like them better than rickshaws. Going off to Pub Street by myself was a mistake though. Single men are prime targets for prostitution and in a certain block I had dozens of women descend upon me asking me to buy massages and "other special services". They would not take no for an answer and it was honestly kind of scary how aggressive they were. Had to meet up with friends to get them to leave me alone.

The humidity was excruciating though but it was fun taking 3 showers daily.

My sister is almost obsessed with white beauty standards. All my sister's are on the bigger side but the youngest older sister is fascinated with it. Last weekend they were talking about a movie and how skinny one of the lead actresses was and she just kept rambling on about how she should be skinny now and in the past. Then she says she wants to make her eyes less chinky and more white. She often wants to stay a lighter skin tone but she can't. She cannot have black hair. Never. She has always dyed her hair really blonde or another color.

My two other sister's told her they would never be that skinny ever. Maybe when they were a kid, sure but not now. They love being on the bigger side of things, my two other sisters, but that other sister is just..... I don't know. I just don't know.

I don't understand why she just can't be happy being HMONG. Stop trying to turn yourself into something you aren't.

But other than that, I don't have any other anecdotal evidence that relates to skin-whitening and white beauty standards.

I hear about it and see it all the time in Hyderabad (India). When my dad was a kid, apparently he used to put powder on his face as he was the only one of his siblings that wasn't light. I hear gorah and kala (fair and dark) used to describe people all the time, and people include the former as one of the marks of being attractive, like tall or handsome, etc.

It's really nasty, and I get pissed off at the relatives I know if they ever do it in front of me.

Top Bottom