• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

So, I had an unexpected 4 day stay in Hong Kong over the weekend. Not sure what to think of the place. The place doesn't feel like it has an identity of its own. Everything feels like a watered down version of something else. The Japan/Korean stuff would be better experienced in their countries. English stuff is better experienced in England. Everyone and their mom smokes, but at least no one smokes in restaurants, so that's definitely gets an A+ from me. They also have 1000Mb internet. Very envious of that.

So, I had an unexpected 4 day stay in Hong Kong over the weekend. Not sure what to think of the place. The place doesn't feel like it has an identity of its own. Everything feels like a watered down version of something else. The Japan/Korean stuff would be better experienced in their countries. English stuff is better experienced in England. Everyone and their mom smokes, but at least no one smokes in restaurants, so that's definitely gets an A+ from me. They also have 1000Mb internet. Very envious of that.

cantonese cuisine is so fab though * ____ *

Toki767

I'll be going to Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, and Tokyo next week.

I feel like I'm not going to do anything except eat.

And possibly shop.

So.... What do you all think of setting people up? Er, not to be taken that way, more of the "let's hook these two up! They seem good for each other."

👍 or 👎

Fyi, yes we are both consenting adults but uh..... I just want to know y'all's opinion.

So.... What do you all think of setting people up? Er, not to be taken that way, more of the "let's hook these two up! They seem good for each other."

👍 or 👎

Fyi, yes we are both consenting adults but uh..... I just want to know y'all's opinion.

If you're both consenting and willing to give it a shot then I don't see too much of a problem. Sometimes people need a reason to meet or talk

👍 or 👎

Are elders behind this? 😂 samw thing has just happened to me

Are elders behind this? 😂 samw thing has just happened to me

Well.... I don't actually know why tbh. My sister came home from work:

Sister: hey, why didn't you text back our family friend's cousin back?
Me: I don't respond to unknown numbers. Tell our family friend that if she wants to talk to me, tell me who she is otherwise I won't bother responding.

A few days ago, got a text from her saying who she was and, well, here I am. I don't think I know her or recognize her. I haven't asked for a picture yet because I'm awkward (duh lol).

We've been just texting so far. I don't honestly know why I haven't just called her >_>

I'm thinking of just giving it a shot but I really need to know what she wants and what I want. Thinking if we can meet up this weekend or something. There is always something happening when it's a winter wonderland in the Twin Cities.

Well.... I don't actually know why tbh. My sister came home from work:

Sister: hey, why didn't you text back our family friend's cousin back?
Me: I don't respond to unknown numbers. Tell our family friend that if she wants to talk to me, tell me who she is otherwise I won't bother responding.

A few days ago, got a text from her saying who she was and, well, here I am. I don't think I know her or recognize her. I haven't asked for a picture yet because I'm awkward (duh lol).

We've been just texting so far. I don't honestly know why I haven't just called her >_>

I'm thinking of just giving it a shot but I really need to know what she wants and what I want. Thinking if we can meet up this weekend or something. There is always something happening when it's a winter wonderland in the Twin Cities.

Chances are your family haven't set you up for a fling, so she probably wants something serious! Also stone cold ignoring the text and making them announce themselves like that haha.

I think asking for a picture would be fairly awkward too, but if you're meeting up then you need a reference to spot her from the crowd!

My family and this girl's family have set up a dinner between us younger kids, to get things going. This feels infinitely more awkward than just the two of us meeting up!

Yeah, I tend to ignore things like that. I get random texts and phone calls from time to time so I would rather not pick up the phone or reply back to a text. Sorry if it was important, random number!

Chances are your family haven't set you up for a fling, so she probably wants something serious! Also stone cold ignoring the text and making them announce themselves like that haha.

I think asking for a picture would be fairly awkward too, but if you're meeting up then you need a reference to spot her from the crowd!

My family and this girl's family have set up a dinner between us younger kids, to get things going. This feels infinitely more awkward than just the two of us meeting up!

She's younger than I am and it's driving my moral compass crazy @_@ She's 6 years younger than me...... I'm not sure how to approach this now. Might head into the Dating thread later. So that either means she wants to get into a serious relationship early or she wants to have some fun or something in-between.

I don't know.... I've been out of the game for far too long :(

SystemBug

She's younger than I am and it's driving my moral compass crazy @_@ She's 6 years younger than me...... I'm not sure how to approach this now. Might head into the Dating thread later. So that either means she wants to get into a serious relationship early or she wants to have some fun or something in-between.

is she top ting tho?

How old are you? 6 years isn't crazy, wouldn't worry about it the age gap as it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be incompatible.

I think there's no way your family would be involved if she's just after something casual. That'd be way awkward, they'd lose face. 😂

is she top ting tho?

This made me laugh, I don't even know what it means. Assume 'top quality'?

Haha it's just some slang. It's contextual so in this case im pretty much asking if she's fine. And if so have some fun and see what it leads to.

Hah, I kind of figured it was something like that. The 'top' gave it away after I reread a few more times.

We exchanged IG's and I like what I'm seeing, I'll say that much 👌

make plans for when she comes back. im telling you. even if it doesnt amount to anything it will still be something

Hm.... I've been thinking about that for the past few hours myself. I'm gonna go and check around to see what's popping around the Twin Cities.

What if you just go to Florida? Harry Potter World is nice.

Surprise her and show up in Florida?! I like the way you think, Septimus.

SRG01

Well, let me put it this way: my first long-term ex was 6.5 years younger than me... she was 22 and I was 29 at the time. Big difference there.

With the current girl I'm seeing, we're also about 6 years difference... but she's 26 and I'm 32. Not as much of a difference.

Hey guys... I need a restaurant recommendation in the OC for like a party of 12ish...Asian or Western. My parents are coming to visit along with my future in laws. I don't think my in laws eat raw fish so sushi is probably out. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. In laws are coming from Riverside and we're in West LA...

Hey guys... I need a restaurant recommendation in the OC for like a party of 12ish...Asian or Western. My parents are coming to visit along with my future in laws. I don't think my in laws eat raw fish so sushi is probably out. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. In laws are coming from Riverside and we're in West LA...
Mastro's, if you want to go all out. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed.

Tripon

Can't go wrong with Korean BBQ.

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Korean&find_loc=Orange+County,+CA

If you want to play it safe, Gen is always good, if a bit pricey. (It's always $20+ per person, but you get a lot of variety of meat.)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gen-korean-bbq-house-tustin?osq=Korean

Sarye

How old are you because it's only a big difference depending on that. If you are 25 and she's 19, that's a much bigger gap then 30 and 24. IMO if she is in the same life situation as you, ie: both working, then it's fine.

for reference: my wife is 7 years younger than me so you're probably fine?

yo! new to this thread and i was wondering if anyone else was in my situation

i'm chinese and i've lived in sydney australia all my life and i find sydney the most boring fucking city on the planet, i really want to move to another country (probably to japan or hong kong because i prefer large glittering sprawls), i've yet to start uni properly so i want to ask, how should i go about making my dream a reality?

How old are you because it's only a big difference depending on that. If you are 25 and she's 19, that's a much bigger gap then 30 and 24. IMO if she is in the same life situation as you, ie: both working, then it's fine.

for reference: my wife is 7 years younger than me so you're probably fine?

Yeah, I'm almost 25 and she's 19. Dating Age GAF says for me to not worry too much about it though. I'm not too worried right now.

Oxn

It is. I'm still looking around to see where I can take her.

It.... Really is. I don't want it to be a huge thing because I can see some people I know saying that I'm older and I took advantaged of her because she's younger than I am >_> Which is NOT what I'm doing and I would hate it if that were to happen.

So why is she being set up with you anyways, or just being set up in general? Just curious.

If shes in college, she should have lots of options.

yo! new to this thread and i was wondering if anyone else was in my situation

i'm chinese and i've lived in sydney australia all my life and i find sydney the most boring fucking city on the planet, i really want to move to another country (probably to japan or hong kong because i prefer large glittering sprawls), i've yet to start uni properly so i want to ask, how should i go about making my dream a reality?

first step is probably looking at study abroad programs

suzu

I was thinking more like.. I couldn't see myself dating a 19 yr old dude. Different life stages and all that.

She's too young for her fam to be trying to set her up already. haha :p

So why is she being set up with you anyways, or just being set up in general? Just curious.

If shes in college, she should have lots of options.

I've been talking to her and she is insecure about herself but that's about it. She's good looking, has a job, and goes to school. I know that insecurity plays a huge role with alot of people (me included) so that's probably a huge factor for her. But other than that, I don't know. I've asked my sister and she just keeps telling me, "why? You don't want to talk to her? Just talk to her!" I DO want to talk to her but she's young and in school. She has way better choices than me, right?

Maybe I'm selling myself short but I'm keeping myself in check. I'm seeing common mistakes I'm doing again from my past relationships and that's not good!

As long as I can make somebodies day better, that's fine with me.

SRG01

That reminds me of something: I once met a girl in a dance class who was about 8 or 9 years younger than me -- her at about 18 when I was about 26? Anyhow, she had the hots for me but I kept distancing myself because I thought it would've been super creepy of me to pursue it. Regretted it soon after, but moved on quite quickly.

Anyhow, years later, it turns out I know her sister and mutual friends. I took a look at her profile and she really blossomed into an amazing woman.

Long story short: just go for it, but make sure you know what you're potentially getting yourself into! Everyone's trying to figure themselves out at that age, but they just might grow into something wonderful :)

Top Bottom