• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

well im half and half. since im first generation so i still go back home frequently. (this is also why im a little backward when it comes to asian representation in hollywood or western mainstream media, cuz i basically consume asian media).

but idk. thanks for trying to dismiss my perspective, i guess :>

I was joking.

oh man how are things going for you with the instagram girl?

Well, I think I figured out why my sister's friend gave her my number. I was being set up as the rebound. Ever since she came back from her vacation she started being distant and often posted about her ex on IG.

Welp, bye Felicia. I'm not trying to be no rebound, fam.

What a nice way to end 2016 for me 👌

I understand rebound's aren't always a bad thing but I'm at that point where I don't want to deal with people still having feelings for their past lovers.

laikwaiz bruuuu

;____;

I'm curious, are there stereotypes of Asian Americans/Canadians/Europeans?

I know there are stereotypes, but I never asked what exactly they might be. I can go ask one of my girls and bring back an answer. My guess is that Canadians and Europeans are shoved into together. At least that's my guess.

Whatever their Asian American stereotype is, I probably defy them like crazy. I'm a Chinese guy humming Bohemian Rhapsody on his way to work.

I think cow mengde can probably answer better as an Asian American in China, I'm sure he has experienced things first hand that I have no idea about. But yes there are some, for example in China most people expect an ABC (or equivalent) who is in China to speak the language. And if that person can't speak Chinese then the locals will probably talk shit about him or her, or at the very least kind of look down on him.

On the other hand as a white dude that speaks "ok" Chinese at best, people will praise me non-stop for how fantastic my Chinese is.

Really? That seems to be the opposite for me. Then again, if they were talking shit about me, they wouldn't say it to my face. You see, I'm told to speak English so they think you're a foreigner, so they would treat you better.

I've also been told if you call the police, the police would come faster if you were a foreigner.

haha yeah I feel you.

I have to understand that she's also 19. She still has a long time to figure out her priorities. The same still applies to me but I've learned to figure out and deal with mine's. But don't go on IG and start blasting your feelings for your ex and NOT expect me to see it, fam

vern

;____;

I know there are stereotypes, but I never asked what exactly they might be. I can go ask one of my girls and bring back an answer. My guess is that Canadians and Europeans are shoved into together. At least that's my guess.

Whatever their Asian American stereotype is, I probably defy them like crazy. I'm a Chinese guy humming Bohemian Rhapsody on his way to work.

Really? That seems to be the opposite for me. Then again, if they were talking shit about me, they wouldn't say it to my face. You see, I'm told to speak English so they think you're a foreigner, so they would treat you better.

I've also been told if you call the police, the police would come faster if you were a foreigner.

Yea I mean, like I said you'd know better than me. My few experiences with ABCs they tend to have had lots of expectations of being Chinese heaped upon them. It could also be because I'm with them, and if I'm speaking better Chinese than they are then maybe local Chinese think that the ABC is losing face for the Chinese race or something? Who knows?

And yep the police are super helpful every time I've needed them. Always side with me😂

SystemBug

I have to understand that she's also 19. She still has a long time to figure out her priorities. The same still applies to me but I've learned to figure out and deal with mine's. But don't go on IG and start blasting your feelings for your ex and NOT expect me to see it, fam

since shes 19 it may be a cry for help lol . wants some of that attention you know?

since shes 19 it may be a cry for help lol . wants some of that attention you know?

Probably, fam. But I've removed everything about her from my phone and IG. Don't be needing that in my life.

Aw fuck..... I just realized that if my family friend hangs out with us anytime soon she's going to want to ask me question's and shit.

The stereotype for American Born Chinese is that they can't speak Chinese at all.

Or we joke about their American accent as trying to be western.

I forgot whether we think they think they're better than us or not.

Edit: I should mention those were like from the last decade, I don't know if perception has changed.

Idk about universal stereotypes but if we're talking anecdata time? Anecdata time!

Asian Americans /Canadians/ Europeans/ Australians are usually seen as not true asians in Asia. Like somehow we're converted and made different by the evul western values and principles. Or that's as much as I can tell from the few friends of mine that are honest enough to talk to me about it... Basically I ask them, like, "Do you think I've changed since I've moved to Australia?"

Most of them said that I've become more individualistic. Their code word for being selfish and outspoken, i guess???

Maybe the fact that I'm an Asian girl compounds the effect? Idk. It's anecdata, so don't take it as truthfacts :3

But yeah... I used to be more uhhh deferring to older people and male authorities when was younger but obviously not as much now.

^ I think the word they might be looking for is "independent". Especially if you're moving and living by yourself then of course you'll end up having to make decisions by yourself more.

That thought makes me uncomfortable.

Well don't worry about it, i find more people complaining about Mainland Chinese than ABCs. Parents still want to send their kids to the west to study so it's not like they're against the idea.

^ I think the word they might be looking for is "independent". Especially if you're moving and living by yourself then of course you'll end up having to make decisions by yourself more.

Well don't worry about it, i find more people complaining about Mainland Chinese than ABCs. Parents still want to send their kids to the west to study so it's not like they're against the idea.

I just don't like the idea of think who is superior to who. Trust me, there are a ton of things people in mainland china does that pisses me off. I tried to remain humble as best as I can, because if I didn't have the opportunity to grow up abroad, I wonder if I would pick up the bad habits.

I just don't like the idea of think who is superior to who. Trust me, there are a ton of things people in mainland china does that pisses me off. I tried to remain humble as best as I can, because if I didn't have the opportunity to grow up abroad, I wonder if I would pick up the bad habits.

I find it very hard to avoid completely even if you know it's there. But in the end the lesson I took away is that its fine to have pride in where you come from as Long as you also acknowledge there are other things other people do better and you should learn from them to improve yourself.

Llyranor

I have to admit, I am enjoying the drama and turn of events in that beer run gf thread.
as Long as you also acknowledge there are other things other people do better and you should learn from them to improve yourself.
Say what you will about mainlanders, but their squatting game is on point. I admire that.

Fucked up my knee playing basketball and now I can't squat. I feel like my cultural identity has been robbed...

This relationship thread man...turns out her and his co worker kissed and she used it as leverage to air out her issues with the OP....

Oxn

Probably, fam. But I've removed everything about her from my phone and IG. Don't be needing that in my life.

Aw fuck..... I just realized that if my family friend hangs out with us anytime soon she's going to want to ask me question's and shit.

Just tell it like it is.

Usobuko

Banned
It's not just asian women, or women in general. It's everyone.

Some people basically are just _______ where it benefits them and they are very willing to compromise their principles and let it slide if comes from the person he/she likes.

Rebound is almost, always a bad thing. You did good here.

EXCUSE ME AS A REAL ASIAN GIRL I WOULD LIKE TO SAY SOMETHING.

Hello y'all <3

I'm free Saturday for dinner. Let's eat :D! If you want to drop a bit of $$$ (like $60~), we can eat my favorite sushi in OC. Otherwise, pick a spot in SGV (but no hotpot please :<).
Sounds good to me. The pics you guys post from there always look amazing.

I do have a dentist appointment at 5, though, so I think 7-ish or later would be better for me. Where is the place?

Anyone else want to come? =)

Madness

*edit: I'm beginning to notice the same posters that have hateboners for CHINAAAA and will bring up how evil they are in other threads that aren't related.

Those posters also tend to admire or defend Donnie Dipshit.

HMMMM lol. Guess idiots will stay the same hateful, scared, idiots they are~

Stay caping for a shitty government only because it is an Chinese one against a white one? I mean why even defend the CPC? Fuck Donald Trump and the US has long been hypocritical, the world knows this and I always respect your posts Bunny, but you're Taiwanese-American, you don't need to defend Beijing here. Your entire responses can be summed as yeah it's bad but so are others ie. Whataboutism.

And yeah I know the tendency to downplay asian advancements, the 'yellow peril' threat, and how they use China to portray asians as evil but you'll never find me defending the modern Chinese government or ever portray it as good or on even footing with others.

I'm trying my best to stop coming to GAF and post but man..... It's freakin' hard. What is that relationship thread even about now?! Where's Mandrake when we need him?

Usobuko

Banned
Is the Char Siew / Roast Pork / Roast Duck / Soya Sauce Chicken

good in your country?

I suddenly have huge craving for these.

Depends where in America imo.

It's pretty damn delicious in socal! Our roast pork (pressed pork!), roast duck... yum. Char siew is aiite, and I don't know what soya sauce chicken is but i might have ate it before.

Soya sauce chicken is the one that's served by that food stall in Singapore that earned a Michelin star

Usobuko

Banned
It's not really common but some places that sell Char Siew/ Roast Duck / Roast Pork, sometimes they do offer soya sauce chicken too. Looks like this

Michelin ruins local food, now we have to queue much longer to get them :(

Usobuko

Banned
Where's is that one?

Name: Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle

Add: Blk 335, Smith Street #02-126, Chinatown Food Complex

He opened a new outlet at 78 Smith Street, the name was called "Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle "

Xiao Hu

Name: Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle

Add: Blk 335, Smith Street #02-126, Chinatown Food Complex

He opened a new outlet at 78 Smith Street, the name was called "Liao Fan Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle "

&#20182;&#22920;&#30340;...I stayed in that area for a couple of days with two friends and didn't run into that one :(

Usobuko

Banned
&#20182;&#22920;&#30340;...I stayed in that area for a couple of days with two friends and didn't run into that one :(

Singapore is small, even if you stay at the furthest end of my country, it's still within an hour trip to reach there!

I'll be happy to let you know how good it taste when I'm free :)

Xiao Hu

Singapore is small, even if you stay at the furthest end of my country, it's still within an hour trip to reach there!

I'll be happy to let you know how good it taste when I'm free :)

No I mean I literally stayed in Smith Street and was also eating there. Well, next time then

clav

I always get INFJ-T on those personality tests

I used to be INTJ, but now I'm INFP. The results also vary depending on my mood lol

theres this person whos an INTP who brags about that but he does nothing other than play video games all day. like hmm.

Myers-Briggs doesn't mean anything.

This isn't a test designed to accurately categorize people, but rather a test designed to make them feel happy after taking it. This is one of the reasons it's persisted for so many years in the corporate world after being disregarded by psychologists.

Top Bottom