• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SystemBug

Also, advice to both chicks and dudes-- don't set unrealistic standards unless you're also okay with not being other anyone for the rest of your life, and if you nitpick a lot, don't expect sympathy for your singleness.

my case its more so i have a hard time asking anybody out because i look hideous. no confidence = fear = bad

Also, advice to both chicks and dudes-- don't set unrealistic standards unless you're also okay with not being other anyone for the rest of your life, and if you nitpick a lot, don't expect sympathy for your singleness.

pssshhhhh

when u are a 2D animu character, u can afford to nitpick and have unrealistic standards ok

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
You know I've been wanting to visit Oregon & Washington for awhile now.

That being said, it'll probably be another year or so, because I have so much stuff :(. CPA exams, busy season(s), Taiwan for engagement stuff, Michigan to see my best friend before she graduates and leaves for some unknown flyover state haha, NYC (still never been east of TX wtf).

But if you're ever in town with your missus I promise I'll clear an evening for food! <3 <3 <3

I'll keep you to that! :)

Does every guy in here wear Acqua di Gio? I've held out so far.

Still rolling with some YSL cologne at the moment and my sister got me some...Armani (? I don't remember at the moment, it's sitting in my bathroom) for when that runs out.

This is literally all jibberish to me. Then again, I'm the old Asian hick of this group, sadly.

I've seen a lot more mixed couples nowadays that are an Asian guy with a non-Asian girl. As more generations start being born in North America there will be fewer cultural and language barriers.

Signs of interest are universal. If you missed a chance with a non-Asian girl, you likely would have missed it if she was Asian. :p

Never attribute to racism what can be attributed to cluelessness. :-D

A-men. As I get older (into my 30s and such); I am noticing a pattern with my lady friends who are still single, and are frustrated by it. Some are definitely bad luck, but others are definitely unrealistic / bad taste. My guy friends are just too damn horny to be picky, to be honest. :D

Sys, as someone who has seen your actual picture, you're good looking. Stop being a dumbass and ask people out. Worst they can say is no, and life goes on. :D

Xiao Hu

Dafuq does that mean to begin with?

my case its more so i have a hard time asking anybody out because i look hideous. no confidence = fear = bad

Dude, we've been over that one. You're cuuute!

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Dafuq does that mean to begin with?

Usually it's based around the idea that people are looking for reasons to reject rather than reasons to go for it. So it turns into "do they have any actual flaws", and if so, they are rejected.

A-men. As I get older (into my 30s and such); I am noticing a pattern with my lady friends who are still single, and are frustrated by it. Some are definitely bad luck, but others are definitely unrealistic...
Sys, as someone who has seen your actual picture, you're good looking. Stop being a dumbass and ask people out. Worst they can say is no, and life goes on. :D

i know a few guys and girls(now women) like that. set in their ways and routines the older they get. and then very picky/critical of any new potential people they cross.

beggars can't be choosers, if you ain't that good looking. i have no sympathy when they complain why there's no females/males around when they friend zone themselves mentally and just eat. snapchat. eat snapchat. all they do is snap pictures of food and don't talk about anything else. but at the same time they are nice, family oriented, friendly, laid back and good company.

Madness

Does every guy in here wear Acqua di Gio? I've held out so far.

Still rolling with some YSL cologne at the moment and my sister got me some...Armani (? I don't remember at the moment, it's sitting in my bathroom) for when that runs out.

I got pretty much every new and older and classic cologne out right now. It all depends. Recently got a few comments on Armani Code, before that a few noticed a Prada cologne I had. Versace Eros is long lasting. I just got a CK Reveal the other day to try out. You can't overdo it. Just needs to linger for a second when someone near you.

I've seen a lot more mixed couples nowadays that are an Asian guy with a non-Asian girl. As more generations start being born in North America there will be fewer cultural and language barriers.

Signs of interest are universal. If you missed a chance with a non-Asian girl, you likely would have missed it if she was Asian. :p

Same. I think the more people born without the language, culture, religion barrier. The more you'll see mixed couples. Asian girls FAR more likely to go outside the race than the other way around where I live. They've bought into the same 'Asian guys are like their fathers, arrogant and outdated thinking or not as masculine' etc. The more pairings I see with white girls and Asian guys is those who go outside the norm. High fashion, hit the gym and look dominating. Eventually it'll change though as representation increases.

cdyhybrid

I got pretty much every new and older and classic cologne out right now. It all depends. Recently got a few comments on Armani Code, before that a few noticed a Prada cologne I had. Versace Eros is long lasting. I just got a CK Reveal the other day to try out. You can't overdo it. Just needs to linger for a second when someone near you.

Same. I think the more people born without the language, culture, religion barrier. The more you'll see mixed couples. Asian girls FAR more likely to go outside the race than the other way around where I live. They've bought into the same 'Asian guys are like their fathers, arrogant and outdated thinking or not as masculine' etc. The more pairings I see with white girls and Asian guys is those who go outside the norm. High fashion, hit the gym and look dominating. Eventually it'll change though as representation increases.

I just checked what the other bottle I have is - it's not Armani, it's Dolce & Gabbana The One. It's still in the box, haven't even opened it. Anyone familiar?

I can talk to girls no problem.... as Long as I'm not attracted to them >_>

Otherwise I'll just be too self conscious about appearing professional <_< but boy do those silent gaps in between become more unbearable....

I don't think I have high standards. I want to find someone I can click with, and has healthy living habits.

Here in China, I met tons of girls, but we just can't click. I can carry a straight up conversation with them, but at the end, I feel incredibly indifferent towards them.

All previous girls I've dated, we didn't just talk, we really hit it off.

From my experience, it's actually harder to get dates with Asian women than with Caucasian women for some reason. Weird :/

I've only dated 5 people in my life so far, 4 of them were white/light-skinned Hispanic. Would like to date an asian one day; yeah I'm in the same boat as you apparently.

vern

I don't think I have high standards. I want to find someone I can click with, and has healthy living habits.

Here in China, I met tons of girls, but we just can't click. I can carry a straight up conversation with them, but at the end, I feel incredibly indifferent towards them.

All previous girls I've dated, we didn't just talk, we really hit it off.

How are you meeting girls here? You deleted TanTan right?

SystemBug

nathan drake is pretty much a white dude who goes to impoverished nations to ruin their cities, steal their treasures, brings in war, and gets away with it. it's like the ulitmate white privilege simulator

Xiao Hu

Usually it's based around the idea that people are looking for reasons to reject rather than reasons to go for it. So it turns into "do they have any actual flaws", and if so, they are rejected.

Oh, I see. First I thought bunny was referring to the concept of leagues in the dating world which I reject.

I have been wondering if I should apply this idea on myself. I think my inability to find a partner has its origin with me wanting a perfectly matching partner, the current girl I somehow have things going on is from Japan. And honestly, we don't match that well personality wise haha. But I still have feelings for her and it makes me smile checking We Chat for her messages in the morning.

How are you meeting girls here? You deleted TanTan right?

Yeah, that was way back with TanTan. Now, I'm not meeting girls. I'm actually just making friends and connections. Talking to people that came to GZ and meeting for drinks and chitchat.

Oh, I see. First I thought bunny was referring to the concept of leagues in the dating world which I reject.

I have been wondering if I should apply this idea on myself. I think my inability to find a partner has its origin with me wanting a perfectly matching partner, the current girl I somehow have things going on is from Japan. And honestly, we don't match that well personality wise haha. But I still have feelings for her and it makes me smile checking We Chat for her messages in the morning.

Me, I wasn't looking for flaws. I met these girls, and I feel nothing. I don't like them, I don't dislike them. I just met them to say I did. None of the girls were ugly either, and yet when we meet, it just feels like I'm meeting a friend, rather than a romantic partner. That and some have weird expectations, like a dinner and movie. I don't play by their rules. Quick coffee and chitchat first.

Hey if Genji can get Mercy, then there's hope for the rest of us to get any white girl we want!

Lol. Shipper's all over the world had a heart attack when that was shown.

Speaking from experience, Hmong people still date Hmong people. We are really, really afraid of what other Hmong people will say/think if we date other ethnicities. It's a nasty situation.

Xiao Hu

I don't approve of shooting people down purely for an ego boost. That's pretty fucked up.

I couldn't do it even if my life was on the line. Cruel as fuck. Thank god it hasn't happened to me yet.

@Bunny: Can you give an example where this concept of leagues would affect you or somebody who wants to date you?

I just checked what the other bottle I have is - it's not Armani, it's Dolce & Gabbana The One. It's still in the box, haven't even opened it. Anyone familiar?

I think I use The One. If I do, then my wife would recommend it! Not too floral or too musky. Two sprays and you're good for the day.

I couldn't do it even if my life was on the line. Cruel as fuck. Thank god it hasn't happened to me yet.

@Bunny: Can you give an example where this concept of leagues would affect you or somebody who wants to date you?

I'm no bunny, but leagues are one of those abstract ideas that gain actual power through belief. There is the idea of how attractive a person is on a relative scale, which then suggests the equivalent level of attractiveness they could attract. Some people see dating beneath that level as a bad thing, because they theoretically could do better.

Of course, that just completely ignores all the other things about a person that (probably) matter more than appearance. Even if you factor in other things, such as confidence and wealth, it's still reducing someone into what amounts to a number, which is sad to me. I understand the desire to not "settle" but honestly, there's no way to really quantify the potential unique chemistry one person will have with another.

Edit:
Standards are slightly different, although in some people I guess they become the same impediment? It's one thing to say you wouldn't date a current meth addict who is currently stealing your car, but another to say that you can't date anyone unless they have a 6 pack. But then again, if that's how people want to roll then that's on them. It's their life.

Xiao Hu

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, actually.

It's unlikely I'd date someone that was 400 pounds, dropped out of high school, and was addicted to meth when it comes to strictly leagues. That's not to say that I'll date anyone that is good looking and rich, because other factors are more important, but there's a base. Plus, someone good looking and rich would be someone I'd consider to be out of my league in terms of looks and wealth. Ehhh.

I think my fiance/husband is out of my league. He may not agree, but I definitely think it's true. That being said, I don't think he's too out of my league. We have similar backgrounds. IMHO, if we were too different, it makes it more likely we'll have problems in the future.

I'm no bunny, but leagues are one of those abstract ideas that gain actual power through belief. There is the idea of how attractive a person is on a relative scale, which then suggests the equivalent level of attractiveness they could attract. Some people see dating beneath that level as a bad thing, because they theoretically could do better.

Of course, that just completely ignores all the other things about a person that (probably) matter more than appearance. Even if you factor in other things, such as confidence and wealth, it's still reducing someone into what amounts to a number, which is sad to me. I understand the desire to not "settle" but honestly, there's no way to really quantify the potential unique chemistry one person will have with another.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for sharing your stances on that, guys :)

zeemumu

What if you shoot them down because you're just not interested?

To be honest, I've been pleased/smug when someone asked me out and I said no... but I reserve that for people that are idiots/behave in ways I think are kinda lame or scummy. For example, if a guy is blatantly racist against nonwhites and nonwhite women, but hangs out with me and asks me out-- yeahhh I definitely flirted hardcore with him, and yeah I definitely took pleasure in shooting him down, and yes I definitely laughed when his friends told me that he had been interested in me. Did I reinforce his idea that nonwhite people suck? Maybe. But last I heard he's all but married to some Hispanic chick with kids, so I have a feeling he probably was just trying to be edgy and cool. Shit like that. Surprisingly, shockingly common.

Shooting someone down because you aren't interested and shooting someone down because you needed the morale boost are two different things.

The example that you use isn't really doing it for morale reasons. Yeah you felt good about rejecting him but it seems like that was less because you rejected someone and more because he was a shit.

SRG01

I've only dated 5 people in my life so far, 4 of them were white/light-skinned Hispanic. Would like to date an asian one day; yeah I'm in the same boat as you apparently.

I believe a lot of it has to do with culture and how a person was brought up. It's not necessarily that Asian men aren't undateable, but rather the types of Asian men that get dates -- particularly with Asian women.

I originally had long-held beliefs about Asian men within the dating scene, but seeing more and more Asian men with both Caucasian women (and women of all races) allowed me to expand my horizons in terms of what qualified as desirable traits.

For what it's worth, the woman I'm currently dating is Asian.

I have never seen an Asian dude with an accent get with a non-Asian girl though. That seems to be extremely rare. Who knows, maybe there are girls out there who loves Asian dudes with an accent (like that JKF skit lol). "OMG, where is your accent from?! That's so hot." &#128514;

But I definitely agree with SRG01 about culture and how they were raised.

I'm not touching leagues because I have no say in that matter.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

If she makes you happy, stick with it for now, IMO. Even that is hard to find, ya know? :) I mean, if there's a fundamental incompatibility - don't drag it on, but if it's just personality clashes that y'all can muddle through, and you both make each other happy, I think it's worth sticking with it.

Me, I wasn't looking for flaws. I met these girls, and I feel nothing. I don't like them, I don't dislike them. I just met them to say I did. None of the girls were ugly either, and yet when we meet, it just feels like I'm meeting a friend, rather than a romantic partner. That and some have weird expectations, like a dinner and movie. I don't play by their rules. Quick coffee and chitchat first.

Eh, if you don't got feelings, you don't got feelings.

I've accepted my fate. I won't accept anyone unless it's London Keyes.

Friend / old roommate went to HS with her. Small world.

I have never seen an Asian dude with an accent get with a non-Asian girl though. That seems to be extremely rare. Who knows, maybe there are girls out there who loves Asian dudes with an accent (like that JKF skit lol). "OMG, where is your accent from?! That's so hot." &#128514;

But I definitely agree with SRG01 about culture and how they were raised.

I'm not touching leagues because I have no say in that matter.

Heh, I had an accent when I met my (now) wife. :D

Xiao Hu

If she makes you happy, stick with it for now, IMO. Even that is hard to find, ya know? :) I mean, if there's a fundamental incompatibility - don't drag it on, but if it's just personality clashes that y'all can muddle through, and you both make each other happy, I think it's worth sticking with it.

Thank you for the kind words but I don't have that much confidence in this thing between the two us left anymore. I still feel this connection I haven't felt for a very long time but the geographical distance is getting unbearable. It starts with scheduling calls and ends with the lack of intimacy - I long for her touch, her smell, her taste, it drives me crazy. Despite her saying that she doesn't want a long distance relationship we stayed in touch in a way that is unusual for people who should have remained simply friends. And not to seldom when my desire for her breaks out of me she tells me to wait for her.

Still I feel how this 'unofficial relationship' is slowly degrading back into a good friendship and I try to cope with it the best I can. Just need to get out more and socialize, meet new people and distract myself.

The fuck is with all the Asian - topic threads on OT lately?

Don't you remember? We're pretty exotic. We're like an animal at the state zoo. Oooooh, look at that! That's what we call an "Asian" person. Ca-can I feed them, dad? Sure Breckin Jr!

*feeds the Asian person a fortune cookie*

Would you look at that, son! They're so docile and subservant. Why can't there be more animals like them?

the above is not serious at all.

Xiao Hu

Bbbbut Russia and China are best buddies now &#10084;

No they're not, just sharing the same rival. Plus Russians are paranoid about China slowly stealing Siberia underneath their drunk arses.

zeemumu

Whenever I have to think about not being productive enough

tumblr_ohh4r4nlgM1uu949jo3_250.gif

Top Bottom