• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

I went clubbing in Guangzhou for New years. It's really not that different from regular clubbing.

That said, I had this conversation with my friend.

Friend: I hate it when too many Chinese take over clubs. They always ruin it. They end up switching to music to more Chinese tastes.

Me: I secretly think in my head that all club music sucks, and she was a hypocrite since both of us were Chinese.

Friend: If too many Chinese visit, they play shitty music and K-POP

Me: *shudders* K-Pop.

Can someone sum it up for me? It sounds so ordinary, yet it somehow managed to be 15 pages long.

yogloo

I went clubbing in Guangzhou for New years. It's really not that different from regular clubbing.

Friend: I hate it when too many Chinese take over clubs. They always ruin it. They end up switching to music to more Chinese tastes.

Me: I secretly think in my head that all club music sucks, and she was a hypocrite since both of us were Chinese.

Can someone sum it up for me? It sounds so ordinary, yet it somehow managed to be 15 pages long.
Asian girls are easy lay. I just skimmed through the thread though.

b-b-but i... i love (some) K-Pop

and ty yogloo for summary also

Actually, I have noticed an inferiority complex with Asian girls. Now is that all Asian girls, of course not. I know at least 2 like that. They'll go for Western guys because they think Asian men are inferior. The girls also try to look more Western, too. I don't know how prevalent this is in China or Hong Kong.

Izuna

Banned
Is that... shrimp baked with cheese in the middle there?

just got confirmation

white sauce and cheese

Was my first guess but I went and found out for you

Chinese women cheat and dgaf

Actually, I have noticed an inferiority complex with Asian girls. Now is that all Asian girls, of course not. I know at least 2 like that. They'll go for Western guys because they think Asian men are inferior. The girls also try to look more Western, too. I don't know how prevalent this is in China or Hong Kong.

This is second-hand, of course, but Japanese girl I know doesn't like "Japanese guys" because stereotype #1 through #20 apparently applies to "all of them". Despite the fact that, imo, there's probably a larger filter making cliches regarding expats more likely.

I think it's super important to separate culture from ethnicity, though!

---

Unimportant question. I'm as Chinese as I am Jamaican (that is to say, 1/8th) but like 0% culturally Asian. Is that not enough to like Avacado or something? Like, I swear the older I get the more I see Avocado in Asian cuisine, and yet I hate it as much as Mayonnaise.

This is second-hand, of course, but Japanese girl I know doesn't like "Japanese guys" because stereotype #1 through #20 apparently applies to "all of them". Despite the fact that, imo, there's probably a larger filter making cliches regarding expats more likely.

I think it's super important to separate culture from ethnicity, though!

Yup, I get a big list of things they don't like. All of them had dated Asian guys before. Then they just lump them all together. I do tell them you'll find "western" guys that are just as bad. They're like yeah... and then nothing.

I don't care, but I find it really fascinating and funny.

And for the sake of generalizing, far too many Chinese people smoke. It's a nightmare here for me. Almost no safe haven for me.

Has talking about serious relationship issues openly on a forum with complete strangers ever... Paid off? I mean like in a pm with someone you trust yeah but openly in a forum?

It's a sign of not having people to talk and share stuff with ;(

Nah I get that, I'm not exactly a paragon of social life myself.

I just feel like asking openly what to do about a troubled relationship is like asking "what's this lump?" Everyone is going to tell you it's cancer and you'll end up scaring the shit out of yourself.

...Also I notice GAF has the tendency to casually suggest cutting ties...>_>

Blackhead

Redarse
Has talking about serious relationship issues openly on a forum with complete strangers ever... Paid off? I mean like in a pm with someone you trust yeah but openly in a forum?

... Some of the dedicated relationship threads have been useful, no? The BDSM thread seemed to be a helpful for its participants. GirlGaf, LGBT community threads etc occasionally venture in to relationship chats/advice. Also you're be surprised how many GAF couples/SO reads GAF thus it's not complete strangers.

That said, I personally don't have the courage to do much discussion online. I get the appeal (I spend so much - too much - time on GAF and respect the opinions of many here) but I've never seen creating a specific thread for your specific relationship issue end well :|

zeemumu

Nah I get that, I'm not exactly a paragon of social life myself.

I just feel like asking openly what to do about a troubled relationship is like asking "what's this lump?" Everyone is going to tell you it's cancer and you'll end up scaring the shit out of yourself.

...Also I notice GAF has the tendency to casually suggest cutting ties...>_>

large.jpg

People who post on here usually already have an idea of what to do in their head but they want us to give them that final push in a direction. It removes some of your agency and responsibility from the decision since someone convinced you into it so if things go wrong the impact isn't as hard on you.

SRG01

just got confirmation

white sauce and cheese

Was my first guess but I went and found out for you

mmmm I love white sauce but I recently found out that it often comes with cheese so I can't have it anymore :(

Also, that relationship thread is straight-up embarrassing.

SystemBug

A minority want to get it on with the privileged race? I mean who can honestly blame them. It's like good business at that point

Happy New Years Everyone....here's to a more positive 2017..

So I finished FFXV....I think this is the first time I finished a game that I just plain did not enjoy. There are some components that are great to good (which kinda just pushed me forward), the former being the music and presentation, the latter being the combat. But the story/characterization is just an absolute mess. Clearly a lot of the game got gutted and it really hurts the overall product...At least the devs made sure to stick the ending somewhat...
To circle back to this, I think for me the appeal of new FF games now is largely just to see the new interpretations of series tropes. I mean, I just happen to usually also quite enjoy the gameplay--as I do with XV--and sometimes the story*, but those aren't even my primary motivation to play these games anymore.

For example, one of my favorite moments in XV, so far, was just seeing this regular, fairly weak enemy from V:

Like, what the hell is that mess of a sprite even supposed to be? I didn't even know until I saw it again in XV, roving around like a spiked armadillo, attacking by rolling into a ball and bumping into you. Moments like that make the series for me.

*Aside: I haven't seen much of the story yet, to be honest, but I suspect that a lot of it is being missed by players just rushing through from objective to objective. I think the lore and world building in this game a trickled to you when you walk around and camp, and the party talks and banters about it. It's kind of like data logs, except in dialogue form.

To circle back to this, I think for me the appeal of new FF games now is largely just to see the new interpretations of series tropes. I mean, I just happen to usually also quite enjoy the gameplay--as I do with XV--and sometimes the story*, but those aren't even my primary motivation to play these games anymore.

For example, one of my favorite moments in XV, so far, was just seeing this regular, fairly weak enemy from V:

Like, what the hell is that mess of a sprite even supposed to be? I didn't even know until I saw it again in XV, roving around like a spiked armadillo, attacking by rolling into a ball and bumping into you. Moments like that make the series for me.

*Aside: I haven't seen much of the story yet, to be honest, but I suspect that a lot of it is being missed by players just rushing through from objective to objective. I think the lore and world building in this game a trickled to you when you walk around and camp, and the party talks and banters about it. It's kind of like data logs, except in dialogue form.

While I can see that being valid, I definitely clicked through all the missing documents, radios, etc.. especially later in the game. I agree with the some of the staunch defenders of the narrative that the overall outline isn't bad but the execution is less than desired. But when you have key plot points being introduced and laid out in loading screens later on...well it gets frustrating...

I have some additional personal criticisms of the game but those are a matter of preference more so than anything else.

vern

Yup, I get a big list of things they don't like. All of them had dated Asian guys before. Then they just lump them all together. I do tell them you'll find "western" guys that are just as bad. They're like yeah... and then nothing.

I don't care, but I find it really fascinating and funny.

And for the sake of generalizing, far too many Chinese people smoke. It's a nightmare here for me. Almost no safe haven for me.

I think it's a kind of self selection bias thing going on though. Like, as a white dude in china, I date girls and they say "Chinese guys are (insert stereotype here)" ... and so yea it's easy to start to think Chinese guys are a certain way and that Chinese girls prefer western dudes. But then you take a step back and you see it's a) obviously not even nearly a majority of girls that think that way and b) girls that do think that way seek out western dudes so that is mostly what you'll see when meeting new girls.

When you say you point out western guys do things a certain way to and the girls shrug it off, that's because they prefer western dudes already so it doesn't really matter what you say. I've met plenty of Chinese girls with stereotypes of western guys in china and would never date a laowai. It goes both ways. Hope that all makes sense.

And the air in Yunnan is great. Dudes mostly smoke out of big water pipes too so you don't get much annoying cigarette BS like smoking in elevators. Everyone should come here. PMI like 30-50 on daily basis, thought it was at 87 yesterday :(. Scrolled my app over to Beijing and saw it at 500 "beyond index." Glad I'm not out in the East anymore.

I think it's a kind of self selection bias thing going on though. Like, as a white dude in china, I date girls and they say "Chinese guys are (insert stereotype here)" ... and so yea it's easy to start to think Chinese guys are a certain way and that Chinese girls prefer western dudes. But then you take a step back and you see it's a) obviously not even nearly a majority of girls that think that way and b) girls that do think that way seek out western dudes so that is mostly what you'll see when meeting new girls.

When you say you point out western guys do things a certain way to and the girls shrug it off, that's because they prefer western dudes already so it doesn't really matter what you say. I've met plenty of Chinese girls with stereotypes of western guys in china and would never date a laowai. It goes both ways. Hope that all makes sense.

And the air in Yunnan is great. Dudes mostly smoke out of big water pipes too so you don't get much annoying cigarette BS like smoking in elevators. Everyone should come here. PMI like 30-50 on daily basis, thought it was at 87 yesterday :(. Scrolled my app over to Beijing and saw it at 500 "beyond index." Glad I'm not out in the East anymore.

Just to piggy back on this...an Asian girl that's only into Asian guys probably doesn't need to advertise it nor would she all of a sudden stand out even if she were to broadcast it. It's another instance of vocal minority I'm guessing.

suzu

Buncha experts on asian girls huuh.

While I can see that being valid, I definitely clicked through all the missing documents, radios, etc.. especially later in the game. I agree with the some of the staunch defenders of the narrative that the overall outline isn't bad but the execution is less than desired. But when you have key plot points being introduced and laid out in loading screens later on...well it gets frustrating...

I have some additional personal criticisms of the game but those are a matter of preference more so than anything else.

Yeah, same.

Then there's all the story / lore / characterization they left out of the game from the movie (except those tacked on cutscenes lol), anime, and cut material from trailers (no, not the Nomura stuff). The game is missing a bestiary too when much of the content is monster hunts. Also at some point
a character disappears for a whole chapter and nobody mentions it ever again (cuz DLC).
I don't dislike FFXV, but I hope the next game is not.. like this. lol

Yeah, same.

Then there's all the story / lore / characterization they left out of the game from the movie (except those tacked on cutscenes lol), anime, and cut material from trailers (no, not the Nomura stuff). The game is missing a bestiary too when much of the content is monster hunts. Also at some point
a character disappears for a whole chapter and nobody mentions it ever again (cuz DLC).
I don't dislike FFXV, but I hope the next game is not.. like this. lol
Yeah, a bestiary would be really nice. It's also kind of dumb that you have to cast Libra again for every enemy.

im like septie, i click on everything and take the time to do everything ever and im really, really enjoying ffxv

i love everything about it

except the main story, but ... didn't really expect much on that front so... \o/

but yes, like septie said, parts of it really paid homage to older ff, and i love that feels when i recognize lil things that are a nod to its predecessors. even if it's just the songs for the car :3... and prompto's attempt at singing ff7 level up tune.... :3 :3 :3

granted, im still at ch 3. so i might come to love it less later .___. (i dont look forward to it)

as an actual asian girl, i dont have much to add to the current topic. i think vern has covered it well.

Oh I know. I am well aware that they stereotype western guys, too. I probably should ask what the stereotype was, because I have no idea what they think about western guys.

What's also funny is that some of them try to look more like western girls, even though those western guys only like them because they're Asian. It's a really strange cycle.

One of the most hilarious compliments I got from my cousin was how white my skin was. As if living in America suddenly changed my skin color or something. We have brutal winters here in NYC, so we're always bundled up most of the time.

cdyhybrid

I'm not an expert on Asian girls.

Unless they're 2D.

Just kidding.

No seriously, I'm not an animu, stop looking at me like that.

as an actual asian girl, i dont have much to add to the current topic. i think vern has covered it well.

Yeah, but are you an Asian girl living in Asia? It's only valid if you live in Asia.

Really though, some of the weirdness is cultural.

Just the other day while crossing the street, 2 European women walked by, and I heard these girls saying: "Wow, they're so beautiful. So tall and thin." Girls there are obsessed with being thin. I know this one girl who actually has a decent body with actual BREASTS (trust me, it's rare) who says she's called fat all her life. Yet to me, body wise, she's the best looking girl I've seen so far.

hooray! \o/
I thought I was all slick cause I could plow through Iron Giants and can barely beat Red Giants, but then last night I foolishly stepped to Yojimbo and Kujata. Nope. The latter literally rolled over me.

It's good to see the old summons still around, though, even if they aren't part of the Six.

vern

Oh I know. I am well aware that they stereotype western guys, too. I probably should ask what the stereotype was, because I have no idea what they think about western guys.

What's also funny is that some of them try to look more like western girls, even though those western guys only like them because they're Asian. It's a really strange cycle.

One of the most hilarious compliments I got from my cousin was how white my skin was. As if living in America suddenly changed my skin color or something. We have brutal winters here in NYC, so we're always bundled up most of the time.

Usually the stereotypes are western guys just want to "play." ”你们外国人都只有喜欢玩呀”

They'll leave after a year or less so they don't really care about girls.

They are English teachers and that they failed back home so girls would be better off with a local guy.

They are poor, why else would they come to china?

They all cheat. Though Chinese girls also tend to say Chinese guys all cheat too. So 🤔 I guess everyone cheats in China.

Probably more but those ones are the most common ones I hear from Chinese girls when saying why they won't date laowai. Can't say they are wrong a lot of the time though lol.

vern

Quite a bit here in Canada too lol

Haha yea I was in Vancouver again just the other day. Everybody was Asian. Had some awesome ramen. Also first time at Tim Hortons. Good city.

Edit: also got an amazing deal on a new route via Beijing capital airlines. 238$ Vancouver to Kunming via Qingdao. Anyone looking for a trip to China can't really beat that deal.

Erheller

Usually the stereotypes are western guys just want to "play." ”你们外国人都只有喜欢玩呀”

They'll leave after a year or less so they don't really care about girls.

They are English teachers and that they failed back home so girls would be better off with a local guy.

They are poor, why else would they come to china?

They all cheat. Though Chinese girls also tend to say Chinese guys all cheat too. So 🤔 I guess everyone cheats in China.

Probably more but those ones are the most common ones I hear from Chinese girls when saying why they won't date laowai. Can't say they are wrong a lot of the time though lol.

I'm curious, are there stereotypes of Asian Americans/Canadians/Europeans?

vern

I'm curious, are there stereotypes of Asian Americans/Canadians/Europeans?

I think cow mengde can probably answer better as an Asian American in China, I'm sure he has experienced things first hand that I have no idea about. But yes there are some, for example in China most people expect an ABC (or equivalent) who is in China to speak the language. And if that person can't speak Chinese then the locals will probably talk shit about him or her, or at the very least kind of look down on him.

On the other hand as a white dude that speaks "ok" Chinese at best, people will praise me non-stop for how fantastic my Chinese is.

Yeah, but are you an Asian girl living in Asia? It's only valid if you live in Asia.

Really though, some of the weirdness is cultural.

Just the other day while crossing the street, 2 European women walked by, and I heard these girls saying: "Wow, they're so beautiful. So tall and thin." Girls there are obsessed with being thin. I know this one girl who actually has a decent body with actual BREASTS (trust me, it's rare) who says she's called fat all her life. Yet to me, body wise, she's the best looking girl I've seen so far.

well im half and half. since im first generation so i still go back home frequently. (this is also why im a little backward when it comes to asian representation in hollywood or western mainstream media, cuz i basically consume asian media).

but idk. thanks for trying to dismiss my perspective, i guess :>

and yes, the thin and tall and pale obsession is real in asia. this i can comment on. im a direct victim survivor of the phenomenon.

I thought I was all slick cause I could plow through Iron Giants and can barely beat Red Giants, but then last night I foolishly stepped to Yojimbo and Kujata. Nope. The latter literally rolled over me.

It's good to see the old summons still around, though, even if they aren't part of the Six.

LOL SEPTIE U R ME

I AM U

i ran into the kujata and i was like GRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAWRRRRRRRRR

and then i was "Load Your Most Recent Save Game"

; ___ ;

Top Bottom