• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Nintendo sure is betting it all on Zelda.

In the same period where Playstation, and XBox to a lesser extent, have all these highly anticipated games.

I'm still getting one. At the end of the day, it's a new Nintendo console, and I'm not passing that up. I don't think it's going to sell gangbusters, though, but I was massively wrong about both Wii and Wii U.

Moonkid

Just finished watching the interviews with the North Korean defectors posted on OT. Well worth watching but what stood out to me was when the guy started talking about his time in college and how he became trapped in the same mentality as his colleagues - that's some real, real shit right there. Glad he found his own path to happiness with a very admirable ambition to boot.

I'm still getting one. At the end of the day, it's a new Nintendo console, and I'm not passing that up. I don't think it's going to sell gangbusters, though, but I was massively wrong about both Wii and Wii U.

Yeah me too. I've gotten to the point where time is more my limiting factor in gaming. I still want to play Nintendo's stuff.

zeemumu

It's easy to sell gangbusters when you undership. I'll get one if I can find one, but I don't see that happening for a while. I'm not gonna treat this like the Majora's Mask 3DS.

Edit: Actually nevermind on that, it may be easier to find one than I thought.

Double Edit: Or not.

That's besides the point 😭

Yeah everyone at work thought I meant the ice cream ones. I have to find that next.

There was one I had in Kyoto that had an option to deep fry it, shit was amazing.

I went back 2 years later to find the place again and unfortunately they were gone and it was some other taiyaki place :(

Usobuko

Banned
These days, I'm more interested a company strategic decision and how it will play out than actually playing the games I bought. The business aspects have always been intriguing to me.

My backlog is in hundreds and I only beat one game last year, Pokemon Sun.

I need to tone down my thirst for new / unique experiences in food, travel, entertainment and books ( mostly manga ). Like I don't need the new Splatoon game, I can just wait 5-10 years or so and buy the latest one which will undoubtedly be more refined in aesthetics and polished in mechanics.

SystemBug

yeah my tastes changed too. i used to really like long games but my favorite games now are games which are much shorter so stuff like Firewatch, and Inside. I really liked Doom but I feel like it could have been a level shorter.

Like i want my games to make me think about them after I'm done with them.

Same here in regards to the changes in games. I used to love JRPGs and mp fps games but now I just want a sandbox to freeroam and fuck around. That's why I like Fallout 4. I can just install some mods, test them out, and go around acting like a god. Then I get stupid entertainment from building settlements.

It's mainly because I don't have a gaming PC and I've always wanted to try out those stupid freeroaming survival games: Ark (which is available now on PS4), Rust, DayZ, etc. My BIL just bought his son Ark and I have been having a blast just going around taming dinos and trying to build a base.

I gave BF1 a try and I just cannot compete anymore. There is no fun when I'm just getting destroyed by tanks, planes, and other players. My reflexes just isn't what it used to be. There's also the setting. I never really enjoyed the older settings. Give me a modern or near future mp fps and I'll play to my hearts content.

So for now I am heavily into SP Freeroam Survival Games and am patiently waiting for TLoU: Part II. I'm also not a Nintendo fan. Was just never really into their games. So no interest in the Switch from me.

SystemBug

Oh I 'm still into Nintendo. Not really Mario Kart or Smash Bros since I was never really huge fans of em back in the day but the new Zelda looks really exciting and I have always liked Mario.

Survival games were my thing a lot a year back. DayZ in particular. Also played Rust a lot

Nudull

Banned
My gaming tastes haven't changed too much. I'm very into storytelling and writing in games, and I'm open to most genres that provide it well. If all else fails, good gameplay is always nice.

I've been a fan of RPGs, point and click adventures, visual novels, survival-horror, fighting, puzzles and platformers.

Usobuko

Banned
There are so much things to do so gaming really takes a backseat.

There was a period where I get my own disposable income and can buy all the gaming things I never had. That was blissful. It lasted for 4-5 years before I call it quit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'm at that age where my gaming tastes have changed because my reflexes suck, lol. Went from FPS / Action games to MMOs to now RTS / Turn-Based games. Been playing HotS, D3, and Hearthstone a lot, and FFXV.

SystemBug

I think I'd love storytelling games, too. Do you have any recommendations? I like happy, romantic ones that usually involve a lot of good feelings and pretty graphics, haha. Hated Life is Strange TBH.

I thought Firewatch was done pretty well. Although it's not a feel-good game. It is very well done and the dialogue is pretty realistic. Went throught something similar so maybe thats why I have such an attachement to it

zeemumu

My tastes in gaming have changed too.

I used to be into the MMORPG games like WoW & FF & LoL & HotS, but recently I find myself more into co-op survival & building games with 8 bit like graphics. Terraria, Secrets of Grindea, etc. Mostly building though. I fucking love building things.Having gear, even progression, is always secondary to building.

Try The Forest and Minecraft then

And for story driven, The Last of Us, To the Moon, Journey, Undertale, and Walking Dead Season 1 are good picks.

I classify story driven as anything with standard gameplay but an amazing world and characters.

And I'm through the first two episodes of Series of Unfortunate Events. So far so good.

I dunno, I think I've stayed pretty consistent with my gaming scope. Don't really do racing or sports games but pretty much will check out any other genre. I've definitely slowed down on FPS/TPS shooters though. I liked Overwatch though.

My whole thing with gaming now is that I'm just over most cliche and gameplay banality. For example, something like Witcher despite all the accolades it didn't do much for me at all despite how polished it was. It just felt like every fantasy trope I've read/seen/experienced in my lifetime, just with a new sheen of paint. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just outgrowing gaming but then I play something that does strike me as at least striving for creativity and I feel like a kid again. Off the top of my head, Ori and the Blind Forest and Xenoblade were examples of those.

Oh I love Terraria. Have it installed on my Xperia. Countless of hours have been wasted while on the toilet just mining for minerals, lol.

I've looked into Don't Starve. It looks interesting. Just never pulled the trigger.

But I've been on a downward spiral lately so I haven't even touched anything since the New Year. Just been thinking about life and all of it's mysteries.

^ I tried to play TW3. I really did but the gameplay was just so boring. It never engaged me and I can't force myself to go through that to enjoy the story and the writing. I can never enjoy most CRPG's due to their gameplay, or mainly the dice-roll mechanics that do come with CRPGs.

zeemumu

I'm not genre specific on games. When I was a kid I played a ton of racing games and RPGs.

Favorite genre is survival horror and I really want to get into fighting games but I'm still pretty mediocre at them. My execution is weak because I never quite got the hang of quarter circles

Erheller

I still have time to play a lot of games from a lot of different genres, but that's not going to last for long. Even now, I'm starting to go for shorter games, or multiplayer games. It's really hard for me to force myself through RPG's or any longer game, and I haven't enjoyed any AAA game in the past few years besides Firaxis games and Overwatch. But that's fine because there are tons of neat indie games that consistently give me fresh experiences.

Also, Melee is fun.

I dunno, I think I've stayed pretty consistent with my gaming scope. Don't really do racing or sports games but pretty much will check out any other genre. I've definitely slowed down on FPS/TPS shooters though. I liked Overwatch though.

My whole thing with gaming now is that I'm just over most cliche and gameplay banality. For example, something like Witcher despite all the accolades it didn't do much for me at all despite how polished it was. It just felt like every fantasy trope I've read/seen/experienced in my lifetime, just with a new sheen of paint. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just outgrowing gaming but then I play something that does strike me as at least striving for creativity and I feel like a kid again. Off the top of my head, Ori and the Blind Forest and Xenoblade were examples of those.

I've honestly never gotten the love for Xenoblade. It's got beautiful areas and fantastic music, but I hated everything else about the game. To me it just felt like a single-player MMO where all the areas are really beautiful but are also really boring and don't have any substance to them. The only game I've ever fallen asleep playing was Xenoblade.

I think I'd love storytelling games, too. Do you have any recommendations? I like happy, romantic ones that usually involve a lot of good feelings and pretty graphics, haha. Hated Life is Strange TBH.

I'm going to add The Beginner's Guide - it's not a very happy story, though. Also, Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist is a pretty funny comedy game, and it's free on Steam.

I've honestly never gotten the love for Xenoblade. It's got beautiful areas and fantastic music, but I hated everything else about the game. To me it just felt like a single-player MMO where all the areas are really beautiful but are also really boring and don't have any substance to them. The only game I've ever fallen asleep playing was Xenoblade.

For me, it was the sense of exploration. After a generation of more streamlined RPGs, this was the first one since probably Skies of Arcadia where I felt an accomplishment of finding every single little corner and so forth. It felt strangely like a cohesive real world. I actually really loved X for that too. Hell, I think X was a stronger experience than FF 15 in general aside from the clear difference in presentation.

It's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to this upcoming Zelda game since really I haven't felt that since probably LTTP but really moreso since the original.

Personally, I don't think my gaming tastes have changed all that much, other than that I now prefer shorter games over longer ones (but give me a mainline Final Fantasy and I'll still happily dump hundreds of hours into it). The new Zelda doesn't seem that interesting to me, though; I'm not a big fan of open worlds or sandbox gameplay, but I'll still check it out because it's a Zelda title.

If Switch ends up with nothing but first party titles, it'd still be pretty worth it, since Nintendo usually executes well. I don't regret getting Wii U, for example, but it's just sorely lacking in usability features to that point where I hardly use it anymore.

Yeah, I don't trust GAF for game recommendations. Like, it's great for discussing pretty much every other aspect of gaming--including game specific stuff once you've already found a game to play--but GAF's taste is very much unlike mine, and its recommendations are often more miss than hit for me.

Lately, I've found myself leaning more towards shorter games and multiplayer ones. The former is good when I don't have a lot of time, and the latter is actually how I stay in touch with my friends haha.

I went on a game-buying binge when I started having disposable income and am now left with a lot of games I have no interest in and/or I'll never have time for. I've started paring down my collection and keeping only a select few franchises.

dohdough

I find that I've been gravitating towards more rpg's lately. Most recently FF15 with Digimon: CS and Fallout 4 before that. I'm still debating getting UMvC3, but what I'd really love is DMC5. Now that I'm almost done with FF15, I really can't think of any game that I'm really dying to play in the next 6 months, so my ps4 is mostlikely going to start collecting dust. Maybe Nier will be next, but I'll probably wait until a price drop.

suzu

I still enjoy playing rpg, srpg, visual novel, life/farming sim, character action.. pretty much anything that looks like it has an interesting story / gameplay. I just find it harder to finish most games nowadays. :p

The new Zelda looks good, but I'm not going to drop $300 for a Zelda machine. I'll wait for more games~

Annnd if you guys like sandboxy / building games (with a dash of rpg), play Dragon Quest Builders. :)

zeemumu

I spent the day binge watching A Series of Unfortunate Events and I looked up from the screen and now it's dark outside.

I haven't bought a game that I knew nothing about prior to buying it in a while. Last one was Vanquish, and that turned out to be one of the best third person shooters that I've ever played.

How many of you guys own Left 4 Dead on Steam? That community feels dead but I love that game.

I didn't know AsianGAF was that into games, otherwise I would have shilled hard for Nioh and For Honor here as well sooner.

Q1 2017 is the quarter of dreams for Sony and really one Zelda isn't going to be enough for lots of people.... not forgetting that you can still get it for the Wii U.

zeemumu

I didn't know AsianGAF was that into games, otherwise I would have shilled hard for Nioh and For Honor here as well sooner.

Q1 2017 is the quarter of dreams for Sony and really one Zelda isn't going to be enough for lots of people.... not forgetting that you can still get it for the Wii U.

I don't get why the Wii U costs almost the same as a Switch.

Man, I was so disappointed by the Nioh demo (but I kind of hate all demos). I was expecting Onimusha and got another Souls. Bah.

And yeah. I don't see anyone catching PlayStation this gen. That's more of a reason not to get Xbox than to not get Switch, though, even though I'm not thrilled about paid online for a second console.

Man, I was so disappointed by the Nioh demo (but I kind of hate all demos). I was expecting Onimusha and got another Souls. Bah.

That's selling it short, it's Souls body but the heart of a character action game like Ninja Gaiden! And it has traditional cutscenes with traditional characters and traditional story telling.

Also Sengoku characters.

Also Hattori Hanzo has a cat in his shirt.

And yeah. I don't see anyone catching PlayStation this gen. That's more of a reason not to get Xbox than to not get Switch, though, even though I'm not thrilled about paid online for a second console.

Brah, that's the least of the fucked up thing that we're finding out about the Switch lol.

Nioh

My hype for For Honor went down after I read that there's no offline SP :(

Nioh

My hype for For Honor went down after I read that there's no offline SP :(

Yeah I hear you but see this is the first multiplayer game that I feel it's right up my alley after years of the market having nothing to offer except FPSes. Plus the Samurai faction... That Samurai faction is too good.... Long story short I've forsaken my morals for the sake of power.

vern

There's no danger of that for anyone

If Wii U was 150 or something maybe someone would buy it instead of a Switch if they were just interested in Zelda, that sort of scenario. I guess. Switch is dope though can't wait to get it. Perfect travel companion.

zeemumu

If Wii U was 150 or something maybe someone would buy it instead of a Switch if they were just interested in Zelda, that sort of scenario. I guess. Switch is dope though can't wait to get it. Perfect travel companion.

That would make sense, but a Wii U is still in the high 200's in terms of price. For an underperforming console that's insane. But Nintendo stuff usually doesn't drop in price, I guess.

That would make sense, but a Wii U is still in the high 200's in terms of price. For an underperforming console that's insane. But Nintendo stuff usually doesn't drop in price, I guess.

The idea is that lowering the price would not save the console, might as well keep the current price to squeeze as much out of it as possible.

Also something to do with the technology making it hard to cut cost.

Yeah I hear you but see this is the first multiplayer game that I feel it's right up my alley after years of the market having nothing to offer except FPSes. Plus the Samurai faction... That Samurai faction is too good.... Long story short I've forsaken my morals for the sake of power.

Oh, I am still interested in For Honor though. It's just my hype is now at a regular level and not like, "OMG!!! I must play For Honor right now and it is soooo amazing." I am also interested if they are adding in new factions. Bring in more not known factions like Indian Warriors or Mongolian Warriors. I have a feeling that they will bring in the Roman empire later down the line. There is huge potential for For Honor and that's mainly why I'm still hyped about it.

zeemumu

The idea is that lowering the price would not save the console, might as well keep the current price to squeeze as much out of it as possible.

Also something to do with the technology making it hard to cut cost.

I feel like moving some units at reduced cost is better than moving no units at standard price.

Top Bottom