• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

OWO? It's so amazing that the letters flipped. XDD

But thank you! I'm more proud of the fact that I'm improving on my shading. If you were able to my days of horrible shading... XD

I personally enjoy Jason/Leatherface a lot more. :3

Love how you put sleeping in there. XP But what games do you enjoy? What! You enjoy drawing and you're telling Me to put my drawings? Unfair! Haha. I expect a drawing now. :)

I love drawing, as you guys can see. Gaming is my obvious hobby. Then.. I enjoy dancing! I have passion for it like no other. Any chance I can dance whether it's at a party, club, rave, or even just playing around. I will dance. :D

yessssssh

it IS that amazing that the letters flipped around!!!!

right now im spending all of my waking hours on TERA Online, but I was playing Forza and Assassins Creed before that. What games do you enjoyyyy?

Oh.... drawing. I has plugged some before. some of my sketches here...

aaaaaaaaah you dance! thats awesome!

i cant dance. i have two left feet!!!

what do you dance? like B-Boy and stuff????

SRG01

A lot of Asians I know are into Ballroom Dancing for some reason... or Salsa.

Yup, I didn't start to understand calculus until I took physics where it was applied.
Meanwhile in Chem E, damned if I could tell you what this 2nd order nonlinear ODE I just set up is actually supposed to mean. All I know is it's something to break down and you Runge Kutta/Laplace it for an answer. Felt like I was shortcutting through the math with rote algorithms without understanding the theory behind it. I just treaded water through upper level math until numerical analysis came along and bailed me out.
Anyways, working in industry, seems like the only "math" I still use is statistics. I've really forgotten too much to go back to grad school.

Oh, and my parents are really starting to push me about marriage and kids now that I'm fast approaching the end of my 20's (oh god i'm old).

A differential equation is simply an equation that includes its own derivative. Many of the thermodynamic laws (or Maxwell's laws if we're talking Electromagnetics) are simply ways to express gradients due to potentials and/or moving currents/fields.

I mean, Runge-Kutta is useful, but finite element analysis (most graphical analysis toolpaks) is way better and it helps you understand what's going on too :D You've probably used finite element without realizing it.

yessssssh

it IS that amazing that the letters flipped around!!!!

right now im spending all of my waking hours on TERA Online, but I was playing Forza and Assassins Creed before that. What games do you enjoyyyy?

Oh.... drawing. I has plugged some before. some of my sketches here...

aaaaaaaaah you dance! thats awesome!

i cant dance. i have two left feet!!!

what do you dance? like B-Boy and stuff????

Yayy! XP

TERA online.. A friend was playing that. Now I will go search it up. Oh, I didn't picture you playing Forza/Assassin's Creed. But that's awesome! Do you have a favorite genre?

I enjoy playing Fighting/Hack 'N Slash/Horror/
Racing
games. Although I haven'tplayed any games recently, because I lost my drive for it right now. It's mostly due to being unable to play with others.

I am so jealous of you right now.. Those are amazing!!! I love them! (///▽///)

Mmm. Not break dancing, I wish I learned. But I can do liquid, decently. I enjoy ballroom dancing, just that I rarely ever get the opportunity to do so. Anything Mexican, I can obviously do, haha.

Yayy! XP

TERA online.. A friend was playing that. Now I will go search it up. Oh, I didn't picture you playing Forza/Assassin's Creed. But that's awesome! Do you have a favorite genre?

I enjoy playing Fighting/Hack 'N Slash/Horror/
Racing
games. Although I haven'tplayed any games recently, because I lost my drive for it right now. It's mostly due to being unable to play with others.

I am so jealous of you right now.. Those are amazing!!! I love them! (///▽///)

Mmm. Not break dancing, I wish I learned. But I can do liquid, decently. I enjoy ballroom dancing, just that I rarely ever get the opportunity to do so. Anything Mexican, I can obviously do, haha.

... not sure about favourite genre... come to think of it! i play lots of games since very young so i found a lot of genres are fun in different ways

I like RTS and sim strategy games (civilization, and heroes of might and magic and stuff), i also played the Sims and Devil May Cry and Deus Ex and HALO and graphic adventures and RPGs and GTA, and Diablo, and etc. etc. etc.

But yea, currently in TERA :>

I looooooooooooooove gaming~ waw~

Oh poor you, not very gaming lately :< Maybe its just a phase? There are months where I wouldn't be playing anything at all....

aaah those are amazing dances :> i really admire people who can dance well. im so terrible with my limbs coordination. idk why. just... a natural klutz, i guess XD

Drifting was my only other Major hobby besides video games, in fact I almost missed out the entire GCN/PS2/xbox because of the time and money I spent on my car. Our race track closed in 2006 and the last time I drifted was at a stadium event in 2007. I pretty much dropped cars as a hobby since then. Nowdays I really don't do anything, I just read about video game stuff(read more than I play them.)

If you're wondering I been drifting way before it was common knowledge, around late 90's...It was weird seeing something you did that was very underground become featured on the big screen (Tokyo drift)

My old drift video:
240SX OPEN DIFF STOCK KA24DE DRIFTING: http://youtu.be/tyu44E2iUuI

Last time I drifted, using my bros Infiniti M30
Infiniti M30 Nissan Leopard nopi drift hawaii: http://youtu.be/df_OdKP6BxM

robox

Single Asian-Gaf, do your parents still bother you guys about getting married or having kids?

not just my parents. every family member around me. and the older, they are, the more they ask. and i aint young anymore.....

but i feel like i've got too much stuff going on and i'm not much of a people person. like trying to find and take a chinese class....
got interested in it since i took some japanese...

/\
cool leopard dude.
i also used to have a ka24 powered 240. mostly autox.
now i get my speed thrills on road and fixed gear bikes. helluva lot cheaper to build. less chances of getting ticketed too. but my instagram feed is still full of cars...

cool leopard dude.
i also used to have a ka24 powered 240. mostly autox.
now i get my speed thrills on road and fixed gear bikes. helluva lot cheaper to build. less chances of getting ticketed too. but my instagram feed is still full of cars...

Currently the Leopard now has an RB26DETT from a R32 skyline, too bad it just sits idle in a garage. Brother's time has shifted to his newborn son.

I try not to think about cars, but Sometimes I can't help to daydream about them.

OH MY GOD.

I saw that and was like, surely it's not those comic books that were completely inappropriate for me.

5.jpg

I remember this. Shit was awesome.

Bonus picture.

Old+master+Q.JPG
OMG my childhood. I swear I still have the weekly paperbacks boxed somewhere.

Shit, those math workbooks during summer vacation were the stuff of nightmares for me. That is, until the horror that was KUMON. Jesus, those packets just never end.

Oh and did anyone think memorizing all those 4-letter sayings in Chinese school was the most useless thing ever?
KUMON? Ha. Never had it, never needed it. When I came to Canada, I was at least a good year or two ahead in math. Memorizing the multiplication table is one of those things that has been burned into me, and for better or worse, on of those regional learning things that made sense.

As for the 4-letter sayings, indifferent, cause it's really no different than any language and their local dialect sayings. I mean, they're way more useful than the poems. God I hated that.

Shengar

Single Asian-Gaf, do your parents still bother you guys about getting married or having kids?
My mother never pushed me or my siblings to marry, while my don't really cared about that. In some occasion, I'm half-jokingly said that I'll never married and she doesn't seems bothered about it. Despite that, my second brother who just 24 when he's married, was doing it on his own will. I haven't heard she's asking him to give her grandkids. Well maybe not yet.

My mom still bothers me about it. She wants me to get married and give her grand children already. I really don't care to do either at the moment. She's not getting younger and she seems to really want to having grand children.

The subject doesn't come up often, but at some point, she left me with some sort of guilt about not complying with her wishes. I don't know how it happen and really its my life, and my decision, but it still gets to me. It's really tough for me to handle the guilt whenever it randomly pops up in my head.

I like kids. I really do. Its just not something I want right now. As well as I don't think I'm responsible and financially set to start a family.

My dad has been telling me that I shouldn't wait to get married and that I should have kids ASAP. He said that if I kept waiting, then by the time my kid graduated from high school I would be an old man myself. And that I couldn't retire early because I needed to keep working until my kid was done with college. I told him 50 will be the new 30 but he wasn't amused.

My friend later hypothesized that perhaps my dad is worried that he won't be around to his grandkids grow up if I have children later in life, and that this was his way of letting me know that. Felt kinda guilty and saddened, but not enough to fast track a baby.

I'm getting close to 32. I swear we don't age!

Yeah I'm 32 and can still pass as under 21. It helps that I have a boyish looking face.

My dad has been telling me that I shouldn't wait to get married and that I should have kids ASAP. He said that if I kept waiting, then by the time my kid graduated from high school I would be an old man myself. And that I couldn't retire early because I needed to keep working until my kid was done with college. I told him 50 will be the new 30 but he wasn't amused.

My friend later hypothesized that perhaps my dad is worried that he won't be around to his grandkids grow up if I have children later in life, and that this was his way of letting me know that. Felt kinda guilty and saddened, but not enough to fast track a baby.

Yeah I'm 32 and can still pass as under 21. It helps that I have a boyish looking face.

Honestly if parents want grandchildren, they should also be helping out. The hypocrisy of parents is mind-blowing sometimes.

My mom still bothers me about it. She wants me to get married and give her grand children already. I really don't care to do either at the moment. She's not getting younger and she seems to really want to having grand children.

The subject doesn't come up often, but at some point, she left me with some sort of guilt about not complying with her wishes. I don't know how it happen and really its my life, and my decision, but it still gets to me. It's really tough for me to handle the guilt whenever it randomly pops up in my head.

I like kids. I really do. Its just not something I want right now. As well as I don't think I'm responsible and financially set to start a family.

Yes. Just this morning in fact. I just spew my typical hateful rant about how humanity is doomed and how my kids will suffer for our lack of environmental awareness. I gave her a very bleak prognosis for the future of mankind. I told her I will never marry, so she can stop complaining about it. Watching them panic about this is very entertaining. I've gotten threats from my parents that they will find me someone in China and force me to marry. This is something I would love to see.

The truth is, I just don't have the time for it. Maybe I will go through the rest of my life by myself. That's not something I'm afraid of. Do I want to, probably not.

Honestly if parents want grandchildren, they should also be helping out. The hypocrisy of parents is mind-blowing sometimes.

Is that a thing? I'm pretty sure my parents would want to help out. How much help I will accept is another thing. Both sets of parents really, really want me to move back to NorCal.

Yes. Just this morning in fact. I just spew my typical hateful rant about how humanity is doomed and how my kids will suffer for our lack of environmental awareness. I gave her a very bleak prognosis for the future of mankind. I told her I will never marry, so she can stop complaining about it. Watching them panic about this is very entertaining. I've gotten threats from my parents that they will find me someone in China and force me to marry. This is something I would love to see.

The truth is, I just don't have the time for it. Maybe I will go through the rest of my life by myself. That's not something I'm afraid of. Do I want to, probably not.

Force you to marry? How do they see that scenario logically playing out? I mean, I've definitely heard of some children whoa re easily cowed by their parents, but something about your post makes me think you aren't like that. You'd think they'd know that by now.

Maybe they plan to tie you up.

Well, my date canceled for tonight. But for a very good (and personal) reason I won't get onto here.

Sounds like you're going through a rough time man. I've been through many myself. I hope it passes by and you are able to move on to happier times quickly.

I've never dated.

I wonder if that cheers you up.

Dating is overrated! I say that as a man who missed out on the start of both the online dating and Tinder phase, so I don't know what I'm talking about!

You know, that seems to be a re-occuring sentiment in Asian Americans that I notice. A lot of my peers feel the same way that you do about marriage and partners. Quite a few of my friends don't care if they ever end up married or not. They are all pretty isolated from society and okay with solitude.

Personally, my parents are not pressuring me to have a partner, since I have one, and aren't pressuring me to get married directly, but they think it's wrong for me to have a serious partner and not marry. That's more stressful than anything else. My partner's not the marrying type, and if my parents knew, they would flip out.

Myself? I do not ever want to go through life myself, and even now, I want a partner. I wouldn't say I'm AFRAID to go through life myself... it's not scary, I know I can handle it. But, I wouldn't want to.

Even at 26 I fantasize about a loving and caring partnership, and creating a home someday with someone.

No kids though. I can't handle the responsibility of children. Not suited for that.

Interesting. All Asian-Americans I know, save one, are pretty much all about a life plan and getting married. There's even talk of freezing eggs and stuff as they get older, just in case. But being a DINK (Dual Income No Kids) does sound pretty amazing.

Is that a thing? I'm pretty sure my parents would want to help out. How much help I will accept is another thing. Both sets of parents really, really want me to move back to NorCal.

I'm probably too Americanized to the point where I'm just happy where I'm at. No kids, finishing the M.S. and eventually I'd want to date again and find someone but I'm doing research on how to adopt from a local shelter.

I've actually had friends who were sort of "forced" into an arranged marriage, but when hard times fell, their parents didn't even bat an eye to assist in raising their children. One of my friends got laid off from a job and asked his retired parents to babysit for a few hours per week. They laid into him saying its his responsibility and blah blah blah.

I guess we all have differing situations. Seems most folks here tend to have decent family, but I personally cannot stand most of my relatives as they are huge drama kings & queens. Some of my other relatives have actually accused me of being gay since I was not dating and too busy with work and classes.

Speaking of which, are any of you one of the first to graduate college in your family? I just realized most of my relatives have the equivalent of a middle school education sadly. =\

BlueSteel

What's up guys.

For my first contribution:

One time I played basketball and scored, I got a "JACKIE CHAN" callout.

I was like damn, I can't even be Jeremy Lin?

I'm probably too Americanized to the point where I'm just happy where I'm at. No kids, finishing the M.S. and eventually I'd want to date again and find someone but I'm doing research on how to adopt from a local shelter.

I've actually had friends who were sort of "forced" into an arranged marriage, but when hard times fell, their parents didn't even bat an eye to assist in raising their children. One of my friends got laid off from a job and asked his retired parents to babysit for a few hours per week. They laid into him saying its his responsibility and blah blah blah.

I guess we all have differing situations. Seems most folks here tend to have decent family, but I personally cannot stand most of my relatives as they are huge drama kings & queens. Some of my other relatives have actually accused me of being gay since I was not dating and too busy with work and classes.

Speaking of which, are any of you one of the first to graduate college in your family? I just realized most of my relatives have the equivalent of a middle school education sadly. =\

I am a step backwards, as my dad has 2 masters. Screw further education, got my BS and then I was out!

What's up guys.

For my first contribution:

Should have proceeded to take offense and beat them all up using whatever was around, preferably a combination of ladders, buckets, and mops.

Thanks for the replies guys.

One of my cousins is the only one in our generation to have kids. I have two brothers, and I wish one of them will have kids to get my mom to leave me alone about it.

BlueSteel

Should have proceeded to take offense and beat them all up using whatever was around, preferably a combination of ladders, buckets, and mops.

I have tried to incorporate flips into the game, but sadly everything I can come up with requires double dribbling or traveling :\

Erheller

My cousin just had his second kid and when we visited him recently my mom kept pointedly talking about grandkids in front of me and my sister.

My great-grandfather was a doctor in China. My grandfather was a doctor in British Malaya. My father is a doctor in America. Most of my mom's side is pretty well-educated, too (but from Mauritian institutions, so...).

Erheller

Wut. Why?

The way my high school was set up, it was difficult to take any non-core classes if you were already taking music. My sister quit music in middle school and took a genetics class her sophomore year of high school (which she wouldn't have been able to take if she was in music). She got to do a summer research internship because of the genetics class.

So when I rolled around of course my mom wanted me to do fancy science instead of boring music and I quit cello.

Sealion88

My cousin just had his second kid and when we visited him recently my mom kept pointedly talking about grandkids in front of me and my sister.

My great-grandfather was a doctor in China. My grandfather was a doctor in British Malaya. My father is a doctor in America. Most of my mom's side is pretty well-educated, too (but from Mauritian institutions, so...).

Damn I have generations of farmers in my family lol.

y2dvd

On the topic of identity, do you prefer to date within your own culture or interracial?

For some reason I just can't find myself attracted to Asian women anymore compared to when I was a teenager.
Hot is hot. I don't care what race you are. I've dated all sorts of races. As long as I like you lol. My current girl is Viet though.

My mom is more concerned with me having kids than marriage. I'm the oldest and a few of my younger siblings have kids of their own so the pressure is on. Eh, I'm in no hurry lol.

Wow, at least you guys have older family members who are pretty educated. All of mine except for the younger uncles (they graduated high school) have the equivalent of a middle school education. That would probably explain why their politics are often uninformed and such.

All you guys posting are making me realize that I definitely sound like a stuck-up snob in some way of alienating them, because they never had access to higher education.

=(

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Parents came to the US in the late 70's as part of the last big waves of Taiwanese government-funded student emigration for graduate studies. So my Dad, with his PhD, is the high-water mark for education level in our extended family.
My sister and I have our undergrad degrees, but we're too burned out with school to go back.

I always got the random "Hey Yao Ming!" in high school and college, since I was sort of tall.

You know, that seems to be a re-occuring sentiment in Asian Americans that I notice. A lot of my peers feel the same way that you do about marriage and partners. Quite a few of my friends don't care if they ever end up married or not. They are all pretty isolated from society and okay with solitude.

I'm not sure my reason is the same. Part of the reason I would enjoy it is out of spite for my family. My family is kind of troubling to say the least. See below.

Force you to marry? How do they see that scenario logically playing out? I mean, I've definitely heard of some children whoa re easily cowed by their parents, but something about your post makes me think you aren't like that. You'd think they'd know that by now.

That's what makes this so exciting for me. Would they really go through with the threats? Stupidity knows no bounds my friend.

The real honest truth is simply the lack of time. After my break up YEARS ago, things have been just one bump after another in life. Now things have finally stabilized and looking up in life, I definitely think I'm ready to start looking. I do enjoy my time alone, but I also enjoy being with lots of people too. I don't think I fit in as an introvert or extrovert. I'm just something in the middle.

Rainy

Banned
This thread exploded. Speaking of education...just finished a med school interview here in Minnesota. The cold is invigorating!

BlueSteel

Parents came to the US in the late 70's as part of the last big waves of Taiwanese government-funded student emigration for graduate studies. So my Dad, with his PhD, is the high-water mark for education level in our extended family.
My sister and I have our undergrad degrees, but we're too burned out with school to go back.

I always got the random "Hey Yao Ming!" in high school and college, since I was sort of tall.

I've been 5'6 since middle school, so I would love to be called Yao Ming.

Plus, he could dunk while barely jumping.

Kevyt

Wow, at least you guys have older family members who are pretty educated. All of mine except for the younger uncles (they graduated high school) have the equivalent of a middle school education. That would probably explain why their politics are often uninformed and such.

All you guys posting are making me realize that I definitely sound like a stuck-up snob in some way of alienating them, because they never had access to higher education.

=(

Doesn't matter. I'm sure your parents are proud of you. I'm sure they also never had the same opportunities you did. Therefore you should appreciate what you have and never forget where you come from.

clav

Dating is overrated! I say that as a man who missed out on the start of both the online dating and Tinder phase, so I don't know what I'm talking about!

Is it? Every time I say that, people turn heads and ask what's wrong with me.

Facebook makes a big deal about relationships, and since our generation is obsessed about public info, people praise relationships.

Any advice on what to do with my hair? It's just a very basic buzz cut that grew long. Been thinking about doing something with it, but I haven't a clue what.

DSC_0008_zps98455a51.jpg

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
http://www.ampedasia.com/article/th...tar-to-prove-against-that-1-asian-stereotype/

Great read.

Excerpts

Your stage name is Jeremy Long. How did you come up with that?

Well it’s pretty common in porn to parody a mainstream celebrity with a porn twist. I’m a huge Jeremy Lin fan, so at some point I came up with that. I was also considering Mike Chang, the guy from Six Pack Shortcuts because I watch his videos all the time. We’re actually going to do a parody shoot of one those workout videos where he brings a chick on his show. We’re going to do that soon as I can get into good enough shape, so I’m looking forward to that.

What was the primary motivation for you to become a pornstar?

Lots of things in this industry operate very opportunistically. I just happened to know some people who knew some people which led to this. As far as my motivation though, I would say it really began in an Asian American studies class at UC Berkeley where we learned about the work of professor Darrell Hamamoto who had produced porn sort of as a research project. In those types of classes we would learn all kinds of theories about the emasculation of Asian males in the media and things like that. But this guy–instead of just writing some paper about it, he was actually doing something in the real world. As an academic, he had a lot to risk and lose, and I thought it was ballsy as hell, and I very much admired it and appreciated it as fellow Asian male. And when I was confronted with this opportunity, I just saw this as a chance to represent. And also, I mean I’ve always been a pretty ballsy guy myself and doing porn is definitely the ultimate YOLO.

Facebook makes a big deal about relationships, and since our generation is obsessed about public info, people praise relationships.

Interesting. it might just be the people you hang out with. Do you hang out with lots of bros, or extroverted party people? I feel like most people think that dating isn't the greatest. Unless you mean people think relationships are a huge deal, in which case, its hard to fault them. Finding someone that you can share your life with is pretty rewarding. But making a relationship a status symbol, and/or shaming people who aren't in one, is a pretty douchy thing to do.

Any advice on what to do with my hair? It's just a very basic buzz cut that grew long. Been thinking about doing something with it, but I haven't a clue what.

DSC_0008_zps98455a51.jpg

I too, suffer from terrible Asian hair. it sticks straight up on top, but then my bangs lay flat. I'm constantly fidgeting with it to try and make it look acceptable. My fiancee teases me about it, but she just doesn't get it. She thinks I'm cute even when my head looks like a melted koosh ball, but I know the truth. I laugh when she complains about her hair because it always looks good. She has that straight Asian hair that just falls into the right place, no effort needed.I think yor hair looks good at that length. It stays down and shape your head pretty well.

That was pretty cool. Good find.

clav

Interesting. it might just be the people you hang out with. Do you hang out with lots of bros, or extroverted party people? I feel like most people think that dating isn't the greatest. Unless you mean people think relationships are a huge deal, in which case, its hard to fault them. Finding someone that you can share your life with is pretty rewarding. But making a relationship a status symbol, and/or shaming people who aren't in one, is a pretty douchy thing to do.
Too bad you can't tell society how to act.

Ah well.

Maybe one day I'll understand what all this relationship trouble means.

This happened about an hour ago. I was with a customer doing my thing and just having a conversation with him. He asks me where I was from. Deep down, I knew exactly what he was trying to say, but I played stupid and said "Queens." He was like, oh yeah, but you're Chinese yes? I was like, oh, you mean country, yeah, I'm from China. He sounded pretty flustered when I told him I was from Queens. He was a nice enough guy, but I was just fucking with him for a laugh.

Facebook doesn't need more information if you don't give it info. I hear too many people complain about the right to privacy yet all sorts of contact information is on Facebook.

BlueSteel

This happened about an hour ago. I was with a customer doing my thing and just having a conversation with him. He asks me where I was from. Deep down, I knew exactly what he was trying to say, but I played stupid and said "Queens." He was like, oh yeah, but you're Chinese yes? I was like, oh, you mean country, yeah, I'm from China. He sounded pretty flustered when I told him I was from Queens. He was a nice enough guy, but I was just fucking with him for a laugh.

I tell people I'm a Midwest boy, since I've never been to the east or West coasts.

(born in Taiwan though)

Top Bottom