• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SRG01

If you wanna chat dude, just PM me! You posted a very real thing, but seems the older generation doesn't even believe in anything regarding mental health.

Let me know if you wants to talk~

My family back home and friends are the same. They think mental illness is a fakey thing. Cuz apparently it doesn't exist back home??? .... Just cuz it's been thoroughly ignored doesn't mean it doesn't exist.... but eh, it's super hard to talk through these topics with them sometimes.... >____>

Thanks guys. It's not really a need to talk per say (though depression and anxiety are major factors in my life story!) but rather something that I feel goes unaddressed in Asian culture.

I mean, I've already seen signs of major mental illness on both sides of my family tree, and yet no one really talks or does anything about it.

Thanks guys. It's not really a need to talk per say (though depression and anxiety are major factors in my life story!) but rather something that I feel goes unaddressed in Asian culture.

I mean, I've already seen signs of major mental illness on both sides of my family tree, and yet no one really talks or does anything about it.

Yeah, you are sooooooooo on point

It's just dismissed like it's not a real issue, from my experience, anyway :< I donno why Asians do this. It's really unhealthy.

One of my friends recently came out to his family that he has been battling severe anxiety issues and his dad basically just laughed at his face, thinking that he was joking. He sheepishly then relented and said he was joking and continued to battle his issues alone and without family support.

It's frustrating.

One of my friends recently came out to his family that he has been battling severe anxiety issues and his dad basically just laughed at his face, thinking that he was joking. He sheepishly then relented and said he was joking and continued to battle his issues alone and without family support.

That's just terrible.. It's sad to see family taking things like that, thinking nothing is of a serious matter. I hope your friend is doing a whole lot better.

Going to Thailand tomorrow! Wish me luck! Starting to loathe the cold weather (it's already February!) so could be worse.

Awesome! I hope you have a really great memorable experience there! :)

Thank you! I'll try to refrain from taking too many photos of food and post them haha.

Please do.

Windam

Scaley member
Man, I really wish there were more thorough studies into North American Asians and mental health. I feel like it's this big elephant in my life that remains unresolved, especially with the rates of depression and anxiety in Asia.

I was placed in a psych ward for three days (will be two years ago this May) and my family still doesn't understand depression.

SRG01

Yeah, I've had massive breakdowns, anxiety/panic attacks -- you name it, I've probably gone through it. And through it all, my parents were in denial about the whole thing. Or maybe they just didn't know how to deal with it. I'd prefer to believe in the latter than the former because it's less cynical of me.

On a lighter note, I just caught a Chinese late night talk show modelled after Jimmy Fallon. They even had a segment that's similar to the one he did with Nicole Kidman... but in true Chinese fashion, they had to lie or tell the truth about food.

And they had to eat it afterward :D

Windam

Scaley member
Yeah, I've had massive breakdowns, anxiety/panic attacks -- you name it, I've probably gone through it. And through it all, my parents were in denial about the whole thing. Or maybe they just didn't know how to deal with it. I'd prefer to believe in the latter than the former because it's less cynical of me.

It really sucks. This July will mark four years since my mental health issues began. My initial OCD thoughts/anxiety disorder left after about six months, but while recovering from that, the depression came and knocked down what sense of "normal" I had been able to retain. You'd think after dealing with depression for almost three years your family would understand, but they don't, and it's like they simply don't want to.

SRG01

It really sucks. This July will mark four years since my mental health issues began. My initial OCD thoughts/anxiety disorder left after about six months, but while recovering from that, the depression came and knocked down what sense of "normal" I had been able to retain. You'd think after dealing with depression for almost three years your family would understand, but they don't, and it's like they simply don't want to.

Are you taking medication? Or no health plan to cover it?

WoodWERD

So...I've spent the last 3 weeks in Vietnam and will be landing in Taipei on Wednesday. Anyone want to grab a beer? I'm only staying 10 days and am starting to wonder if I've made a huge mistake with NY around the corner (I'm assuming higher prices, sights closed, etc.), but I hope to see as much of the island as I can. Looking forward to those high speed trains!

Yeah, you are sooooooooo on point

It's just dismissed like it's not a real issue, from my experience, anyway :< I donno why Asians do this. It's really unhealthy.

It's frustrating.

I don't know if it makes anyone feel better but I honestly think it's a thing no culture handles well. It's very much a thing to ignite or push out of sight. I don't know the numbers but I have heard pretty high rate of depression and stuff for Asians. I wish there was less stigma for people trying to get help, it's already am extremely difficult thing to deal with, attaching a stigma to it just make it worse.

Sealion88

So...I've spent the last 3 weeks in Vietnam and will be landing in Taipei on Wednesday. Anyone want to grab a beer? I'm only staying 10 days and am starting to wonder if I've made a huge mistake with NY around the corner (I'm assuming higher prices, sights closed, etc.), but I hope to see as much of the island as I can. Looking forward to those high speed trains!

High speed is expensive. Enjoy the view with the regular ones!

I think it's some sort of "shame" to the family and I've actually heard family members say that it doesn't exist in their family. I'm sorry for what happened to you, but like others have said, feel free to PM whenever you need someone to listen.

Mental illness is very real.

Kikirin

When I was a kid I had the mushroom cut (or super bowl for some) for the longest time. I eventually tried to comb my hair to get the split.

MFkiKn2l.jpg

I was strongly considering going for that sort of haircut (minus the split) for the past couple year or so. Never followed through though.

Kikirin

Example: Depression? No, Americans are just too wealthy and have too much time to be sad. If they all worked hard enough they wouldn't have time to be sad.

This is too real. Even recently, my mother was talking smack on celebrity suicides and drug addiction, claiming they had too much money and free time and didn't know what to do with themselves. =|

Windam

Scaley member
Example: Depression? No, Americans are just too wealthy and have too much time to be sad. If they all worked hard enough they wouldn't have time to be sad.
Example: Therapists? Dumb Americans paying money for quack doctors. Here drink this herbal medicine it will cure you. (Oh, the irony).

So much truth right here. With Robin Williams, "See? Too much money and he didn't know what to do with it so he bought drugs and went crazy." No mom, he had depression. The thing me and hundreds of millions of other people have.

"Don't take those pills, they'll make you more sick. Doctors prescribe them so you keep going back to them to give them more money."

"Therapy is talking? Talk to me!"

Eugh

So much truth right here. With Robin Williams, "See? Too much money and he didn't know what to do with it so he bought drugs and went crazy." No mom, he had depression. The thing me and hundreds of millions of other people have.

"Don't take those pills, they'll make you more sick. Doctors prescribe them so you keep going back to them to give them more money."

"Therapy is talking? Talk to me!"

Eugh

Perfect example of a tiger mom (sometimes dad).

Because there's been so many people commenting, I won't quote everyone, but yes, mental illness is definitely a problem.

The idea of shame, and the collective nature of most Asian countries, really exacerbates everything. Unfortunately, some of the stigma seems to have carried over, and in some ways I think the over diagnosis of America (at least, for American Asians), actually makes a lot of the older generation even more set against mental problems.

Example: ADHD? No, American kids are just bratty and not well-behaved and need to be spanked more.
Example: Therapists? Dumb Americans paying money for quack doctors. Here drink this herbal medicine it will cure you. (Oh, the irony).

etc, etc

There's no changing our parents' minds, and I'm really sorry to those in the thread that have had no support from their families. /ehug. At this point I think the only hope is for us to be cognizant of these attitudes, and not to perpetuate it in our children.

My sister (a registered nurse that works in psychiatry) believes that my mother actually has ADHD and other mental problems, but she's so adamant about her own stability that trying to convince her to get treatment is basically impossible. And so we just have to deal with her being absent-minded and not paying attention to what we're saying, while listening to her ramble about how there's something wrong with us for not listening to what she has to say.

It's rather frustrating.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we're Korean. This means that my mother is Christian, and she fits very well in the conservative religious archetype that's all the rage in America recently.

Because there's been so many people commenting, I won't quote everyone, but yes, mental illness is definitely a problem.

The idea of shame, and the collective nature of most Asian countries, really exacerbates everything. Unfortunately, some of the stigma seems to have carried over, and in some ways I think the over diagnosis of America (at least, for American Asians), actually makes a lot of the older generation even more set against mental problems.

Example: ADHD? No, American kids are just bratty and not well-behaved and need to be spanked more.

etc, etc

There's no changing our parents' minds, and I'm really sorry to those in the thread that have had no support from their families. /ehug. At this point I think the only hope is for us to be cognizant of these attitudes, and not to perpetuate it in our children.

Sorry to change this thread back to food but what are you eating in your avatar? It's bothering me that I can't figure it out.

etc, etc

I never seen this, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me to see my parents say something just as ignorant.

Thinking of pretzels made me think of this:

funnel-cake1.jpg

&#8857;&#65103;&#8857;

Went to an indoor boardwalk thing this weekend and had funnel cake and deep fried oreos. :D

I don't think I've ever had a Wetzel's pretzel... I'm assuming it's not an East coast thing? I only know Auntie Anne's and another pretzel company that the name escapes me.

BlueSteel

Auntie Anne's da gawd

Somehow my mom let us get those as kids when we went to the mall. Something about raisins being good for us or something.

Went to an indoor boardwalk thing this weekend and had funnel cake and deep fried oreos. :D

I don't think I've ever had a Wetzel's pretzel... I'm assuming it's not an East coast thing? I only know Auntie Anne's and another pretzel company that the name escapes me.

There's quite a few in the east coast and all over the US.

Man, I'm hungry.

StMeph

Mental health issues are especially pertinent right now, as my grandmother has moderate/not-yet-severe Alzheimer's. Some members of our family were able to detect something wrong several years ago, but those principally involved in her life and care -- her sons and daughter, including my father -- insisted that she was normal until it degenerated to the moderate stage last year, and they finally realized something was not quite right.

Even after a doctor's diagnosis and her behavioral changes, there's rampant denial and crazy rationalizations in order to comfortably fit their heads in the sand. "She wants to forget." "It's better that she doesn't remember these things." Seriously? It's fighting a two-front war instead of only one, and, frankly, much more exhausting dealing with them than the actual problem.

On a lighter note, I can't understand how some of you made the logical leap from pretzels to funnel cake when they are nothing alike.

Esch

Banned
I have pretty good mental health management in my immediate family but my cousins... lol. Some of them could have used some serious help when they were in middle school.

Top Bottom