• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

SRG01

I think I have a subtly different experience than some others here with respect to Asian attractiveness. Growing up, I never really considered myself attractive, but eventually realized that I *was* attractive... but only in an exotic Asian Fetish kind of way to most people. Actively seeking people who didn't see me as 'The Other' was quite hard.

On the other hand, most Asian girls around here don't go after Asian men.

I found these two things, and well.. My heart! I can't take it. (>&#65103;<)

d630f1fe-8275-4b77-8baf-053acd58cca3.jpg

http://youtu.be/3bdm4NBYxII

men with well groomed facial hair is super hawt tho

and yea, artsy-look is pretty appealing. idk. theres something about artists that both attract me and confronts me. ha ha .___.

I'll have to grow it out much longer before I can have well groomed facial hair. ;_; Damn my Navajo blood!

It's just one of those unexplainable interests, eh? ^^ YesNO swoons over them, haha.

Speaking of Artsy! I actually did three other drawings. :V

Only watched the first episode, but man does this show hit home!

It's great. It's pretty subversive. That scene where the white kid waits for a birthday card from his dad totally blew my mind. Basically said "asian's aren't weird for not divorcing", "white people are weird for divorcing." And then how all his stuff gets destroyed in the end.

I was so impressed. That completely blew my mind. So so so relatable. I had plenty of white friends in middle school that would do that. The show captured that for me.

I could take or leave the other parts of the show, but if they have snippets like this taking jabs at 'white culture' i'm in.

Kudos to Huang man, this shit is real.

Edit: sorry that scene was from the second episode.

things didn't go out well at work. I just got fired today.

I was trying to leave that job anyway. The pay sucks, there's barely any benefits, and I'm tried of baby sitting adults nearly twice my age.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words Asian-Gaf. I appreciate it.

I was trying to leave that job anyway. The pay sucks, there's barely any benefits, and I'm tried of baby sitting adults nearly twice my age.

That sucks :( Hope you get a new job soon

I hope you'll bounce back soon. Can you get unemployment benefits?

Rainy

Banned

Hope things start looking up for you :( we are here for you!

jasonng

Sorry to hear but it does sound like you're better off. Getting fired so for something so trivial still remains absurd.

y2dvd

Pretty sure most of you have seen this, but it hits home so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcVBu3R_ajM

I'll admit I was that shy, nerdy, and bullied kid. Growing older though, it's kind of funny to see how people expect me to bow down to stereotypes. Submissive, hard-working, and never complaining were the ways my mother and father tried to deal with work. They would come home and release their anger out on my brother and I.

I can honestly say that ever since stepping foot into a gym, that "alpha-ness" has kicked up a notch where I'm no longer concerned about what people think.

Damn I hate youtube quick cuts with a passion. Shit is worse than shaky cams in movies. The end message was good but augh getting to that point was irritating.

Glad to hear FOB was good. I need to catch the rerun.

Sounds like yall need to make a neogaf blanket for bunni lol.

robox

Pretty sure most of you have seen this, but it hits home so much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcVBu3R_ajM

fuck, that was hard to watch.
and there was only like 1 thing i actually relate to. i can grow a pretty good beard [for an asian guy; it plateaus then gets too damn irritating] and my moustache is naturally fu manchu shaped bwahahah

i hate these overly loud talking heads videos.
i hate how much they play up the azn-ness.

i think it's because of me growing up around lots of asian people that i don't feel that being asian makes me unique. it's part of who i am, but it doesn't make up my entire identity. it doesn't define me nor pigeonhole me. for early on, i understand there are different worlds out there. like, i don't get the lack of media role models because i watched both western tv and movies and i also watched hong kong movies. wong fei hung and fong sai yuk are some of my heroes. they live in worlds where it's practically all asian. american movies are set in worlds that's mostly white. on the flip side, that has warped my perception that, inside of the coasts usa is devoid of asian people. i still somewhat can't believe how some of my asian friends can be from minnesota, texas, or atlanta.

fuck, that was hard to watch.
and there was only like 1 thing i actually relate to. i can grow a pretty good beard [for an asian guy; it plateaus then gets too damn irritating] and my moustache is naturally fu manchu shaped bwahahah

i hate these overly loud talking heads videos.
i hate how much they play up the azn-ness.

i think it's because of me growing up around lots of asian people that i don't feel that being asian makes me unique. it's part of who i am, but it doesn't make up my entire identity. it doesn't define me nor pigeonhole me. for early on, i understand there are different worlds out there. like, i don't get the lack of media role models because i watched both western tv and movies and i also watched hong kong movies. wong fei hung and fong sai yuk are some of my heroes. they live in worlds where it's practically all asian. american movies are set in worlds that's mostly white. on the flip side, that has warped my perception that, inside of the coasts usa is devoid of asian people. i still somewhat can't believe how some of my asian friends can be from minnesota, texas, or atlanta.

I actually enjoy them because I find them funny. There are some issues that I can definitely relate to, but keep in mind that this is simply just satire. It's just fun to reflect with a few of my Asian pals about the stereotypes we face.

Especially with the Tiger Mom.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Damn I hate youtube quick cuts with a passion. Shit is worse than shaky cams in movies. The end message was good but augh getting to that point was irritating.

Glad to hear FOB was good. I need to catch the rerun.

Sounds like yall need to make a neogaf blanket for bunni lol.

I'm all for making NeoGAF blankets for ze bunny.

What's a NeoGAF blanket? :D

robox

what's more concerning to me growing up was the complete lack of athletic asian role models. asian people just weren't athletes. there was Jim Paek and half-asian Paul Kariya and.... that's it. this was before Yao Ming even, and he was China's version of Ivan Drago, so i didn't count him either.

i was pretty athletic in elementary school. a small school where parents sent us to learn chinese it was, but i was the best. the best of that tiny tiny pond. but any time we played another team in soccer or had the city track meet, i and the rest of my class got rocked. one time in soccer, it was a nearly a mercy-rule inducing 8-0 loss. the other team on average were like 5 inches taller. track meet results were near DFL all the time. i got so excited when a classmate got to the finals in sprint, even if he did finish 8th there. pretty good considering the rest of us haha.

anecdotes like these convinced me there wasn't much chance of me getting into pro sports, even though we had such dreams like all other kids. even now, it's an uphill battle. i do admire china throwing money at sports that are more suited to the asian body like gymnastics...

what's more concerning to me growing up was the complete lack of athletic asian role models. asian people just weren't athletes. there was Jim Paek and half-asian Paul Kariya and.... that's it. this was before Yao Ming even, and he was China's version of Ivan Drago, so i didn't count him either.

i was pretty athletic in elementary school. a small school where parents sent us to learn chinese it was, but i was the best. the best of that tiny tiny pond. but any time we played another team in soccer or had the city track meet, i and the rest of my class got rocked. one time in soccer, it was a nearly a mercy-rule inducing 8-0 loss. the other team on average were like 5 inches taller. track meet results were near DFL all the time. i got so excited when a classmate got to the finals in sprint, even if he did finish 8th there. pretty good considering the rest of us haha.

anecdotes like these convinced me there wasn't much chance of me getting into pro sports, even though we had such dreams like all other kids. even now, it's an uphill battle. i do admire china throwing money at sports that are more suited to the asian body like gymnastics...

It's the same kind of stereotyping you see with the lack of Asian-American actors. They have to come from somewhere, but they keep getting passed over for reasons here and there.

robox

It's the same kind of stereotyping you see with the lack of Asian-American actors. They have to come from somewhere, but they keep getting passed over for reasons here and there.

i'd like to believe sports is much more merit based than entertainment. in sports, results matter more than perception and image. it's one of the few areas where black people get equal opportunities.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
i'd like to believe sports is much more merit based than entertainment. in sports, results matter more than perception and image. it's one of the few areas where black people get equal opportunities.
I assume most parents see academic scholarships as more likely to obtain than athletic scholarships, and thus push their children in one direction over the other.

Damn, man, that sucks. It sounds like the company culture there was bullshit anyway, though, so I'm sure you'll find something better soon.

RE: FOB: I thought it was just okay. The parents need to drop their accents. I know they're trying to emulate first generation Asian-American immigrants, but since they're speaking English all the time, that emulation already falls flat, and the accents are too in-your-face annoying.

Also, that one scene where
the mom hits those guys with her car
is rubbish. That should not have happened.

I also don't like how Eddie is so "gangsta," but I don't know the real guy; maybe that's what he's all about.

Thanks guys. I appreciated it.

My manager says I'll be able to claim unemployment, so with tax returns and Chinese New Year, I guess that would me over financially for a bit lol.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Damn, man, that sucks. It sounds like the company culture there was bullshit anyway, though, so I'm sure you'll find something better soon.

RE: FOB: I thought it was just okay. The parents need to drop their accents. I know they're trying to emulate first generation Asian-American immigrants, but since they're speaking English all the time, that emulation already falls flat, and the accents are too in-your-face annoying.

Also, that one scene where
the mom hits those guys with her car
is rubbish. That should not have happened.

I also don't like how Eddie is so "gangsta," but I don't know the real guy; maybe that's what he's all about.

I don't know how it is for East Asian / SE Asians - but man oh man, growing up, so many of my indian friends wanted to act black. (This is the same time where lots of white teenagers wanted to act black too). People forget how big of a thing that was for adolescents in the 90s.

I don't know how it is for East Asian / SE Asians - but man oh man, growing up, so many of my indian friends wanted to act black. (This is the same time where lots of white teenagers wanted to act black too). People forget how big of a thing that was for adolescents in the 90s.

East Asians too man. At least at my HS. I can't say I wasn't above it all since I listened to so much hip hop and rap and did adopt some mannerisms but I never ever used "my nigga" like so many of my Asian classmates did (it annoyed me when I heard Asians calling each other niggas..)....Oh and kids in my neighborhood repping Wah Ching (I grew up in a safe suburban community) ...SMH...

East Asians too man. At least at my HS. I can't say I wasn't above it all since I listened to so much hip hop and rap and did adopt some mannerisms but I never ever used "my nigga" like so many of my Asian classmates did (it annoyed me when I heard Asians calling each other niggas..)....Oh and kids in my neighborhood repping Wah Ching (I grew up in a safe suburban community) ...SMH...

our area too. we had a phase where everyone wanted to dress like they are part of the bloods/crypt. then they migrated to dress like thugs. they went through a phase where they dressed like exaggerated asians. now it's all dress like you work at Express.

Not so much my high school. Our school was primarily Asian, though, so we were split between "acting white" and "acting black," with white having the majority share.

White and black being the only two options is, again, a problem, of course. In actuality, our school was so heavily Asian, that the white students were the minority, and they actually kind of assimilated into Asian culture. I understand this is definitely not the norm for most places, though.

Didn't realize there was an Asian-GAF! Checking from Texas, born and raised!

As far as the acting black thing goes, it happened a lot where I grew up. Though I did grow up in an area where it was mostly just blacks, asians and mexicans.

Dont have much echo about that black culture imitation thing during school days here, but Australia is predominantly white and asian, I think.

and welcome RapidCancel!!!!

Dont rapid cancel your way out of this thread, noooowwwwwww.... y'hearrrr

Toki767

One of my brothers went through that acting black phase as a kid (to be fair, he still kind of acts that way now as an adult) so I got a pretty good laugh at the show.

I don't think the show has longevity though. I can see where it could be easily very offensive to a lot of Asian people. I am kind of curious if any of your parents watched it and saw a little bit of themselves in the parents. I'd say the mom is fairly spot on in terms of how my mom was when I was growing up.

jasonng

and welcome RapidCancel!!!!

Dont rapid cancel your way out of this thread, noooowwwwwww.... y'hearrrr

Now that's just racist.

*Tips cowboy hat*

Growing up in the 90s and in a rough neighborhood I did end up a little bit ghetto. I have seen FOB yet but I have a feeling I can relate. Oh man, I remember back then the trend was baggy jeans. You guys remember baggy jeans? Ugggggggh. Never again.

One of my brothers went through that acting black phase as a kid (to be fair, he still kind of acts that way now as an adult) so I got a pretty good laugh at the show.

I don't think the show has longevity though. I can see where it could be easily very offensive to a lot of Asian people. I am kind of curious if any of your parents watched it and saw a little bit of themselves in the parents. I'd say the mom is fairly spot on in terms of how my mom was when I was growing up.
Its biggest problem, as mentioned in the thread in OT, is that it's going to get crushed by The Voice and NCIS on Tuesdays. I mean, The Voice is off right now, but NCIS is still a tremendous juggernaut. It's as popular as CSI used to be.

Toki767

Growing up in the 90s and in a rough neighborhood I did end up a little bit ghetto. I have seen FOB yet but I have a feeling I can relate. Oh man, I remember back then the trend was baggy jeans. You guys remember baggy jeans? Ugggggggh. Never again.

My oldest brother (who is 32 now) still won't pull up his pants and leaves them baggy. Old habits die hard.

Its biggest problem, as mentioned in the thread in OT, is that it's going to get crushed by The Voice and NCIS on Tuesdays. I mean, The Voice is off right now, but NCIS is still a tremendous juggernaut. It's as popular as CSI used to be.

It's airing on Tuesdays? Why did it premiere on Wednesday night? I hate when shows do that. I have enough shows to watch on Tuesdays with Agents Carter/Agents of Shield and Flash. At least on Wednesdays I only watch Arrow so I could have added this to the list.

cdyhybrid

That is such a strange name. I've heard of people named Constance, but when mixed with a Asian last name, it sounds weird, and I've heard of plenty of "Western" name with Asian last names.

My friend dated a Constance in high school. Everyone called her Connie though.

Toki767

That is such a strange name. I've heard of people named Constance, but when mixed with a Asian last name, it sounds weird, and I've heard of plenty of "Western" name with Asian last names.

I know a Chinese girl named Constance so it didn't sound weird to me. There are definitely weirder names out there when paired with an Asian last name.

Now that's just racist.

*Tips cowboy hat*

ugh baggy jeans XD

im still trying to deny it ever happened!!! ;____;

Now that's just racist.

*Tips cowboy hat*

Growing up in the 80s I guess I missed out on the ghetto culture, as I turned out 100% whitebread. Do you think Asian kids acting ghetto was a product of environmental osmosis or simply looking up to trends in media? Like, I've heard of white kids in the suburbs acting ghetto, is that the same thing for Asians?

My fiancee grew up in San Francisco and lots of people call her ghetto. Apparently it's easy to recognize a Chinese person from SF. There's definitely something in the way they speak, although that's probably also from being Cantonese. For her, and other Asians I've met from San Fran, it seems to be environment.

And I never did baggy jeans. They always seemed stupid to me. But I did rock cargo pants. Those were a thing right?

If we want to talk about embarassing trends in an Asian topic, we have to mention spiky hair with piss-blonde tips.

I know at least a couple Asian "Connies." Doesn't seem that weird to me.

Out of all the anglicized Asian names, I get entertained by the antiquated Biblical names (usually Koreans, lol). I shouldn't know any Moses Kims, but I know 3.

cdyhybrid

I went to a private school, so I wore corduroy pants with our uniform polo shirt.

Gelled my hair into spikes (because I still had hair back then), but no dye. It was prohibited by the school, but wouldn't have done it anyway.

Toki767

I know at least a couple Asian "Connies." Doesn't seem that weird to me.

Out of all the anglicized Asian names, I get entertained by the antiquated Biblical names (usually Koreans, lol). I shouldn't know any Moses Kims, but I know 3.

I know a Chinese person named Abraham. Like...seriously felt kind of bad for the guy for getting stuck with such an old name like that.

y2dvd

Asian guys, do you feel like you've accomplished something when you're able to attract someone outside your race? I think we've had this discussion before but I forgot everyone's thoughts. It's much easily for an Asian girl to attract other races but not so much so for an Asian guy.

Top Bottom