• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Savory > Sweet
Sweet < More Sweet
A1Lnh76u%2B0L._SX425SX425_SY390_CR,0,0,425,390_PIbundle-12,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY390_CR,0,0,425,390_SH20_.jpg

Yeah I have to truck to SoHo after work today in 9 degree with windchill and get these little fuckers:

laduree-macarons.jpg

I once tweeted that even if the Laduree truck overturns in Damascus half of NYC's population of Asian females would still be there.

Then stand in line ...ugh *shudders*

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The Divine Energy Force Field manifests to us in the most personally palatable way.

For example, he looks like Professor Snape to me, down to the curl of his lip.

Seeing as I don't really eat sugar; I'm pretty sure my Sugar God manifests itself as a blend of your avatar at the moment and the Asian-GAF thread....

Wait. Holy crap. It makes sense. I can't believe we didn't realize it...

Bunny is the avatar of the Sugar God. ALL HAIL THE BUNNY AND HER SUGARY GOODNESS.

*self avatar quote* OMIGOD. Give me the ramen NAOW. I'm ready to be hungry again after just eating food. Bahaha.

I hope you have a wonderful time, bunny! :)

Yeah I have to truck to SoHo after work today in 9 degree with windchill and get these little fuckers:

laduree-macarons.jpg

I once tweeted that even if the Laduree truck overturns in Damascus half of NYC's population of Asian females would still be there.

macarons are my weakness *_____* gaaaaaaaah gimme gimme gimme

My mom is putting up Chinese new year decorations up.

I still haven't told her I got fired. I'm afraid she's gonna lose her shit cause its so close to new years lol.

SRG01

laduree-macarons.jpg

Th... There's a Laduree in NYC? I went to one when I was in Paris and it was amazing.

Starting to get into Fresh Off The Boat. The shit is incredible. "Look she's cutting the pieces equally because of communism," I wanted to punch her right then and there.

Th... There's a Laduree in NYC? I went to one when I was in Paris and it was amazing.

This! I didn't know there was one in Soho. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it's in Soho.

I've never heard of Laduree. Maybe I should check it out if there's one in NYC.

Yep. They opened a location in the States maybe...5 years ago? Got dragged there a little after its grand opening of course. They have two locations - 72nd and Madison and the one in SoHo. It's almost always packed with teen/college Asian girls, so you're bound to hear a few..'interesting'...conversations while you're waiting in line. I get agoraphobic thinking about it. Luckily I only go twice a year -- for my girl's bday and valentine's day.

Esch

Banned
Any of you guys tea fiends like me? Just copped some silver needle white tea from Adagio. Fuck bags we all loose leaf here.

it ain't a proper asian household without a rice cooker or a water kettle. Recently got one of the exact temperature ones.

Yep. They opened a location in the States maybe...5 years ago? Got dragged there a little after its grand opening of course. They have two locations - 72nd and Madison and the one in SoHo.

Oh shit, I better check it out when I have the time.

It's almost always packed with teen/college Asian girls, so you're bound to hear a few..'interesting'...conversations while you're waiting in line. I get agoraphobic thinking about it.

On second thought, never mind.

Daikokuya is my personal GOAT but I wanted him to try hakata style ramen once.

We are currently at Din Tai Fung.

But, here are some photos of us earlier at Santa Monica eating fresh seafood!

Fresh uni and crab! We got three sea urchins and four crabs. The urchins tried to crawl away.

omnomnomnomnomnomnom

ugh i looooooooooooove seafood <3 crab and uni <3 so jealous right now bunbunnnnnssssss aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:O

Did your Sir participate in the jiujitsu championship?????? *_________* Is he a real ninja ????

KaGaYa is legit, enjoy!
Holy moly, was it legit!

So, we went there (no pics, sorry), and it is probably the best shabu shabu I've had. It was like getting shabu shabu and omakase at the same time.

I got the A5 Wagyu beef, and my wife got the beef and seafood combination, with clam, oyster, A5 Wagyu beef, and live king crab replacing the frozen king crab. The beef had the consistency of butter.

They started us off with kanpachi, a soup, and crab meat chawanmushi, and after that we had our main course, followed by udon and rice soup, followed by creme brulee and banana pie with ice cream for dessert.

They even gave my wife a flower for Valentine's Day (which is awesome because I fucked up and didn't get flowers)!

The bill, though? After everything, it was $355--definitely one of the most expensive meals for two I've had.

y2dvd

My take on this is the younger Americanized generation are Elitist about what real Chinese food is while the older real Chinese families don't care and thinks it's not bad.

It's funny to me because my very Taiwanese parents love "fake" Chinese food.

This was my exact impression. That one grandpa seemed open to it and ended up enjoying most of it. Not gonna lie, I like that coconut shrimp they make!

jasonng

I think the elitism came from the fear that non-Asians would mistake Chinese take out as authentic Chinese food. For the most part I'm surrounded by people who can distinguish so I don't have that problem. There aren't that many Panda Express around me but I'm not against ordering take out. I equate it to fast food; sometimes you're just in the mood for it and you don't want to cook.

I think the elitism came from the fear that non-Asians would mistake Chinese take out as authentic Chinese food. For the most part I'm surrounded by people who can distinguish so I don't have that problem. There aren't that many Panda Express around me but I'm not against ordering take out. I equate it to fast food; sometimes you're just in the mood for it and you don't want to cook.

Real Chinese food does taste better.

So are all those Chinese restaurants(in the US) owned by Chinese immigrants suppose to be "real Chinese food". Or are these immigrants basically just using the same formula that's been successful for decades now?

I ask this because my bro worked at a place and Germans owned it for a little while and their were German engineers there. One of them told my bro that this wasn't authentic Chinese food like the kind he had back in Germany. Funny thing was that he couldn't get enough of it lol. So I was just curious about that?

Sarye

So are all those Chinese restaurants(in the US) owned by Chinese immigrants suppose to be "real Chinese food". Or are these immigrants basically just using the same formula that's been successful for decades now?

I ask this because my bro worked at a place and Germans owned it for a little while and their were German engineers there. One of them told my bro that this wasn't authentic Chinese food like the kind he had back in Germany. Funny thing was that he couldn't get enough of it lol. So I was just curious about that?

Chinese food is slightly different from country to country as they need to cater to the people there. In the US, it's General Tso's or Chicken Broccoli. However, most places you can order "off menu" and get more authentic dishes.

Top Bottom