• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

scarlet

tumblr_n63jm5PWtY1ttmhcxo1_500.gif

OMG SAVED!

I LOVE YOU

jasonng

What? There's gotta be a story behind this.

Don't want to dig for it. It was in one of the low sex in Japan threads where he insists that one cure would be to sleep with married women in China.

Might as well wish my Chinese brothers and sisters a happy new year! Let's make sure this year will be GOAT.

Don't want to dig for it. It was in one of the low sex in Japan threads where he insists that one cure would be to sleep with married women in China.

Might as well wish my Chinese brothers and sisters a happy new year! Let's make sure this year will be GOAT.

Ugh

I remember that thread. And he sort of weasel his way out of that problematic position with an awww-shucckss-i-was-just-giving-dating-advice

*rolls eyes*

tbh, you were amazing and funny in that thread, jason :>

jasonng

Ugh

I remember that thread. And he sort of weasel his way out of that problematic position with an awww-shucckss-i-was-just-giving-dating-advice

*rolls eyes*

tbh, you were amazing and funny in that thread, jason :>

Sometimes I never intend to be funny. Or sometimes I hide my anger behind humor. It's either or. Also, Beaniedude is a jerk.

jasonng

Also it seems that red envelopes aren't immune to inflation. Last year I overheard my mother calling someone cheap for only giving two dollars. Damn, yo. Money is money.

Also it seems that red envelopes aren't immune to inflation. Last year I overheard my mother calling someone cheap for only giving two dollars. Damn, yo. Money is money.

My red envelopes almost always had $5 in them no matter what, and I only had so many. I always got jealous when my friends said they got more than $100 total

So this popped up in a subreddit and it's something I was just discussing, about whether this was appropriate it or not. My white friend saw no problem with it. But what gets me is that there weren't any Indians involved with the wedding at all. This was just a group of people in Ohio who wanted a Bollywood Bling theme wedding and felt that they could just use as many stereotypical things and call it an Indian wedding. This is the definition of cultural appropriation no? It's hard to explain. But they're using a variety of Hindu, punjabi religious and cultural practices and just melding it as one. They're not Hindu either yet utilized a religious priest just for authenticity.

What do you guys think? It almost feels like a mockery of the what is an extremely important religious/cultural event. Half of the stuff I bet they don't even understand why they're doing this or what it's for, but hey, it's Indian, put it in etc.

But of course Indian culture is just like the Middle Earth Elvish stuff ! It's all about fabulous costumes and gestures !

:x

*facepalms*

...no, I guess not. I just meant the typical wedding, like something you'd see on a TV show (minus the extreme extravagance).

Wouldnt that be the 'regular' style? Instead of 'American'?

idk. tbh, i think it just comes off cringe XD (the indian theme) .... you know like going to a wedding that has sonic the hedgehog theme kind of....

but the thought of cultural appropriation didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.

This argument doesn't really work because it reads like the "reverse appropriation" defense. 'Why can't I wear a Kimono if she can wear a French style dress' etc. There is a huge difference in say renting a nice location, getting a white dress and a black tuxedo than reducing a specific religious/cultural event into one generic stereotypical thing.

There is no "Indian" wedding. There were no Indian guests by the looks of the wedding either. Instead, you have an almost entirely white group of people decide they want a "bollywood bling" theme wedding. Let's get a horse, we always see Indians with horses, oh let's put some elephant designs on our cake, let's get marigolds and frilly colorful umbrellas, let's get henna on our hands and out weird designs, let's do namaste because that's what Indians do, let's all wear bindis and turbans etc.

It's like a stereotypical caricature of actual Hindu, punjabi, other South Asian weddings. What does Bollywood have to do with Hinduism? It's one thing if one of the grooms or someone who's getting married is actually part of the culture no?
To be completely fair, we don't know for sure that they aren't part of the culture. Maybe they spent a lot of time in India. We're just going off that they're white.

I get what you're saying, though, but like YesNOnoNOYes said above, it's at worst kind of just like a theme wedding. That's assuming their intention isn't to make a mockery of another culture, of course.

To be completely fair, we don't know for sure that they aren't part of the culture. Maybe they spent a lot of time in India. We're just going off that they're white.

I get what you're saying, though, but like YesNOnoNOYes said above, it's at worst kind of just like a theme wedding. That's assuming their intention isn't to make a mockery of another culture, of course.

Ya, but I mean, these people reduces the Indian culture into just things they can romp with, for a day. As in, it is reduced to Sonic the Hedgehog theme. The entire identity and people of the Indian culture.

Kind of.

I find that tacky.

Themed weddings should be more thoughtful than just costumes and tee-hee gestures.

IDK

I probably not the best person to speak on this cuz I can't really relate to weddings. Cuz I dont think I'll have one of my own.

O_O

Meh. Cultural appropriation happens, but it's rarely malicious. That being said, it doesn't mean it's okay either, just that it's not malicious.

It DOES look like a jumble of "this is india" things-- tacky, silly, and insensitive. But what can you really do about it other than to shake your head and marvel at how dumb all of us humans are :)

Ya, dis~

Also, they probably spent $100k to make that happen. Weddings are really expensive, and Indian weddings cost 2-3 times as much because they last way longer. They'd have to book the venue--the most expensive thing--for two or three slots in one go.

Rainy

Banned
As an Indian person...that's kind of fucking weird. I guess I need more background to know why they went that route before I start fully judging. Kind of feels like some type of cultural appropriation though..of course not presuming that's their intent .

Rainy

Banned
Their photographer says they wanted bollywood boogie and bling. As if Hindu and Punjabi religious/cultural marriages have anything to do with Bollywood. She even wrote like flinging rice + horses + color = success. Haha.

Don't get me wrong. I can see why they did it, but it just highlights ignorance and appropriation of culture without understanding it. Ah well, happy Chinese/Lunar New Year Asian-GAF.

Eh yeah I get you, oh well, people man..people!

I hope y'all have fun celebrating LNY with your fam if you do that sort of thing!

Also what kinda music do you listen to Asian GAF?

I just discovered the beauty that is the Suzuki G-Strider. I'm sad that it never got made.. :c

Also what kinda music do you listen to Asian GAF?

I'll listen to anything, and everything! Except Country.. I can't stand it. Although I do have more of an interest towards EDM.

Zoe

Wouldnt that be the 'regular' style? Instead of 'American'?

That's a pretty Western-centric way of thinking to call it "regular".

In Japan, there are Western-styled weddings done with white actors for the officiant. The one I went to didn't have that, but the vibe was completely different from any other wedding I had been to in America. The funniest part was everybody rushing the aisle, even stepping into it, to get pictures of the bride and groom as they walked toward the altar together.

SRG01

Very close! :D
It's a bakpao, but that is a Hokkien word. The characters are 肉包 but I don't know the pinyin for that tbh.

That literally means meat bread, which is appropriate. I see variants of that in canto bakeries.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
So this popped up in a subreddit and it's something I was just discussing, about whether this was appropriate it or not. My white friend saw no problem with it. But what gets me is that there weren't any Indians involved with the wedding at all. This was just a group of people in Ohio who wanted a Bollywood Bling theme wedding and felt that they could just use as many stereotypical things and call it an Indian wedding. This is the definition of cultural appropriation no? It's hard to explain. But they're using a variety of Hindu, punjabi religious and cultural practices and just melding it as one. They're not Hindu either yet utilized a religious priest just for authenticity.

What do you guys think? It almost feels like a mockery of the what is an extremely important religious/cultural event. Half of the stuff I bet they don't even understand why they're doing this or what it's for, but hey, it's Indian, put it in etc.

I'm Indian, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

A) Bollywood is a big deal even in Western countries, just not the US because we have Hollywood here. The couple could have lived overseas for a bit and enjoyed Bollywood films; or what not.

B) Fundamentally - it's their wedding, their special day, and they can do what they want to make them happy. They're not hurting anyone in the process; so if it makes them happy, more power to them.

Esch

Banned
I used to get mad about 'cultural appropriation' but I don't see anything wrong with that either (also Indian). I mean it's kinda corny, but I can't get mad about that. They just like indian pop culture. What makes it objectionable or not is basically intent. As long as it's not mocking or racially provocative, what's the problem?

Globalism and the internet ensure that one day we're all going to have a homogenous culture anyway.

BlueSteel

I used to get mad about 'cultural appropriation' but I don't see anything wrong with that either (also Indian). I mean it's kinda corny, but I can't get mad about that. They just like indian pop culture. What makes it objectionable or not is basically intent. As long as it's not mocking or racially provocative, what's the problem?

Globalism and the internet ensure that one day we're all going to have a homogenous culture anyway.

Where I draw the line is when people take them and use them to prop up the notion that they're either experts on our cultures or know more than they do. It's a bit insulting because they get to take the fruits of our cultures finally being accepted without ever acknowledging the struggles it took to even get it to be "palatable"

That's the only thing I don't like about appropriation, but on the flip side it is a good bridge. I'll bring up the example of my mom getting Panda Express. A lot of people might say "I fucking hate that shit, it's so inauthentic."

But for my mom, when she first moved to the US, Panda Express was one of the few foods she could eat. You may think otherwise, but Illinois is not California or New York for Chinese food. It works both ways.

As a bridge it's fine. Anything more than that I take issue with.

Anyways, posted this back before but didn't get responses. I'm working on a musical project, and would like to know what people think about this track:

https://soundcloud.com/handyvice/5-prove-yourself

I feel like my upcoming wedding will be a mish-mash of culturally appropriated shit from a lot of random cultures. Even the Chinese elements will be, because I really don't know anything about Chinese or Taiwanese culture. Just because I'm Taiwanese myself doesn't mean I have an understanding or appreciation of that culture beyond the "pop" elements. Shit, if we do go with Asian dresses and/or decoration, I don't think we'll give any thought as to whether they are Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, or whatever.

Top Bottom