• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Rainy

Banned
Man in SoCal I used to have boba every week or two. Up here I just don't seem to get it that often.

Also Kingsman is a pretty great movie.

y2dvd

Tapioca is icky and gross.

8YSlhON.jpg

robox

shops now offer half sweet boba. i get that.
i'm gonna try quarter sweet next
and i get boba without the boba, thank you very much. i don't hate it, i just prefer more milk tea

Found a new Chinese takeout place finally. Soooooooo good. Drenched in sauces and what not but the food is cooked perfectly, great taste, and finally... perfectly cooked white rice. FINALLY!

Oh and I'm about ready to throw out these cheap ass chopsticks I got for xmas. They are lacquered or something and look great, but so damn slippery everything slides off them. Wanted something reuseable but geeze I hate these things. Wooden ones are just... great lol. Kinda scared to try straight up plastic now though.

Argyle

Holy moly, was it legit!

So, we went there (no pics, sorry), and it is probably the best shabu shabu I've had. It was like getting shabu shabu and omakase at the same time.

I got the A5 Wagyu beef, and my wife got the beef and seafood combination, with clam, oyster, A5 Wagyu beef, and live king crab replacing the frozen king crab. The beef had the consistency of butter.

They started us off with kanpachi, a soup, and crab meat chawanmushi, and after that we had our main course, followed by udon and rice soup, followed by creme brulee and banana pie with ice cream for dessert.

They even gave my wife a flower for Valentine's Day (which is awesome because I fucked up and didn't get flowers)!

The bill, though? After everything, it was $355--definitely one of the most expensive meals for two I've had.

Glad you enjoyed it! I've only ever had the basic US beef shabu shabu set and it has always been fantastic. It's a great concept, doing what is usually a very basic meal (I usually eat shabu shabu/hot pot at home) with style.

Looks tasty. Too bad the eggs are hard boiled, I much prefer a medium boiled egg myself.

Yeah, it looks like Shinsengumi needs to step up their hanjuku egg game. I kinda remember the eggs at the Little Tokyo location being cooked properly, or at least closer to it.

Try metal chopsticks.

So they're having problems with their lacquer chopsticks being slippery and you're recommending metal chopsticks? That's just mean...it's just my experience that most people who didn't grow up using metal chopsticks don't like them...

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't know what the other flavors of bubble tea are because I pretty much always get taro. Also I started getting it w/o the tapioca to make more room for the taro drink.

Yeah we were! Partner was visiting me and I wanted XLB and boba.
Oh snap! That's my hometown!

There's actually a new shabu shabu place right next to Au79 called Mokkoji. It's the only good shabu place in the area, I think.

Also, there are a lot of boba places now that give Au a run for its money. Ten Ren, which is literally around the corner, is better, imo, and there's iD Cha House on Duarte and Sixth, which is also really good.

And if you're
hungry for raccoon, that place that was in the news recently is just down the street on Temple City and Lower Azusa.

This thread's show is on tonight.

The what?

Also, anyone want to do the honors and start a troll thread tomorrow? Just start a Happy New Year thread without explaining it and see how long before someone thinks you're drunk. The other year, it was like the first reply. It wasn't until someone explained it that some of the others knew it was Chinese New Year.

Rainy

Banned
Schools should get off for New Year's
There's actually a school in San Francisco who took away President's Day and combined it with New Years to give them this Thursday and Friday off. Though parents who got Presidents Day off were complaining about it. (Normally they do get a day off for New Years though I think, regardless. Just bad timing this year)

y2dvd

Chinese New Years tomorrow! Too bad I got softball practice. I'll probably hit up some festival this weekend though.

jasonng

Also, anyone want to do the honors and start a troll thread tomorrow? Just start a Happy New Year thread without explaining it and see how long before someone thinks you're drunk. The other year, it was like the first reply. It wasn't until someone explained it that some of the others knew it was Chinese New Year.

Sure, great idea. I'll do it.

Edit: Oh.

Those poor, ignorant, well-meaning people. hahahahaha
I've always thought it was interesting how that phrase got lost in translation. "Gung hay fat choy" doesn't technically mean Happy New Year yet it somehow became that definition due to the frequency of use.

Holy shit guys.

My coworker (the only white person) in an all-CHINESE company:

<redacted>: yesssss
my roomie wants me to tell you "chuc mung nam moi"
Sent at 12:20 PM on Wednesday
me: ?
i think that's vietnamese
i am not vietnamese so unfortunately i have no idea what that says lol
me: is your roommate vietnamese?
Sent at 12:27 PM on Wednesday
<redacted>: nope, white and blonde lol

But oh my god.

Oh my god.

Those poor, ignorant, well-meaning people. hahahahaha

Reading that just made me cringe. Bad romanization is the only thing worse than bad pronunciation.

Sure, great idea. I'll do it.

First come first serve. Whoever makes it first gets it. I don't make the rules on this forum. If you make it before bunny, then you make it before her. You can bunny can race to see who gets to start the New Years thread.

I've always thought it was interesting how that phrase got lost in translation. "Gung hay fat choy" doesn't technically mean Happy New Year yet it somehow became that definition due to the frequency of use.

Yeah, it's more like a good luck saying used in New Year, and not the actual phrase Happy New Year. It's probably just shoddy translation from someone who didn't speak English and decided to wing it. That's probably how it got spread.

It's also Cantonese. In Mandarin, it's closer to "Gong xi fah tsai."

The trick is that, unless you know what language/dialect your intended recipient speaks, it's probably better to just use English.

Gong Xi Fat Choi, AZNGAF <333333333

I miss getting red envelopes ;____;

Whatcha all doing for the NY (besides consuming copious amount of chinese food)

me, im gonna run dungeons ofc :< my mmo addiction has taken over my life :<

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Oh, we will share food with you.

YOU WILL EAT UNTIL YOU ARE STUFFED.

THEN WE WILL FEED YOU SOME MORE.

/asianlove

I have more than once debated changing the title of this thread to the "Asian Food-GAF: We would have an Asian-GAF thread, but all we really care about is the food". :p

Also, yeah, this thread will stuff you full of food. Rainy, I hope you have your gym membership ready.... :D

jasonng

I was making a joke. I actually can't make threads.

It's also Cantonese. In Mandarin, it's closer to "Gong xi fah tsai."

The trick is that, unless you know what language/dialect your intended recipient speaks, it's probably better to just use English.

I only said the phrase in Cantonese because that's the dialect I use at home. I don't care if Mandarin is more common, Cantonese for LIFE.

Edit: Of course the guy who bangs Chinese wives makes the thread. How fitting.

Oh, we will share food with you.

YOU WILL EAT UNTIL YOU ARE STUFFED.

THEN WE WILL FEED YOU SOME MORE.

/asianlove

Ooh what game :eek:

I'm just chilling with my parents. Was going to Disneyland today but decided to hang with my parents.

tera online :<

chilling with the 'rents sounds cool, bunbuns <3

aaaaah im so hungry rn

Zhao_Yun

&#26032;&#24180;&#24555;&#27138;!
Happy CNY Asian-GAF!

In my family we usually use &#26032;&#24180;&#24555;&#27138; (San lien phai loc) instead of "Gung hay fat choy". I hear the latter more often though.

Top Bottom