• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

THIS SOUNDS LIKE TAX AVOIDANCE.

Well, it's not, but that's actually one way corporations used to indulge in (excessive) tax avoidance. Foreign construction projects.

MMMHMMMMMMMMMMM

kk peanut gallery out

edit: Holy shit guys I got an A on my graduate paper (nightmare professor think Snape and Umbridge). This means I won't fail the class and I can graduate in a year like I planned.

Graaaaaaaaaaaaats bunbuns!!!!!!!!

💙❤💚💛💜💖💝💓💗💞

vern

THIS SOUNDS LIKE TAX AVOIDANCE.

Well, it's not, but that's actually one way corporations used to indulge in (excessive) tax avoidance. Foreign construction projects.

The construction projects are happening in the USA, funded by foreigners (Chinese primarily) who are looking to get green cards. The developers get "cheap" money from these investors, not sure where they are avoiding taxes. The main tax avoidance comes from the investors themselves who will need to pay tax on their worldwide income once they get green cards, and that is something that most people don't want to do.

If I'm not mistaken, they can pretty much invest in whatever type of business they want, so long as the investee (?) meets certain criteria, such as creating 10 new jobs over a two year period, right?

Pretty much.

Sober

It is funny how immature some of those people are.

In Moba E-sports, Asians are (usually) in the finals and there is little to no racism against them.
Yeah but that's where Asians belong, behind a computer screen and doing math in their head while playing fake sports. How come more white people aren't welcome in esports???

You know.

It felt pretty gross typing that out.

vern

Avoiding taxes isn't just not paying taxes, it's taking unsubstantiated tax positions regarding deductions and/or over/under-reporting capital.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter because idgaf yet. By the time I get into the IRS the statue of limitations would be gone already :p

The EB-5 industry is pretty heavily regulated, developers need to account for every dollar and demonstrate where,when and how it's being used, in order to be sure that their investors money is accounted for and attributed to the job creation aspect of the project. Also with the scams mentioned on the previous page the industry is getting even more scrutiny. I'm sure like all rich people though the developers find every loophole they can get away with to avoid paying their fair share of taxes, it's no different from anything else I reckon.

Rainy

Banned
If y'all are still doing the racist-GAF post thing, there's an absolutely amazing node in OT right now about Korea.

GAF is sometimes to Asians what reddit is sometimes to blacks. I'm about to get a headache from how hard I'm rolling my eyes.

are you talking about the black guy getting rejected from that korean teaching program? i knew things would get messy.

Kaze Kyou

Didn't realise GAF had an Asian thread for us ABCs. Consider me subbed!

It's absolutely frustrating when people ask me about "Thailand" when I specifically tell them that my family is from "Taiwan". It's 你好, not sawadee kap!!!

Abstract
We pursue the idea that racial stereotypes are not only descriptive, reflecting beliefs about how racial groups actually differ, but are prescriptive as well, reflecting beliefs about how racial groups should differ. Drawing on an analysis of the historic and current status of East Asians in North America, we study descriptive and prescriptive stereotypes of East Asians along the dimensions of competence, warmth, and dominance and examine workplace consequences of violating these stereotypes. Study 1 shows that East Asians are descriptively stereotyped as more competent, less warm, and less dominant than Whites. Study 2 shows that only the descriptive stereotype of East Asians as less dominant than Whites is also a prescriptive stereotype. Study 3 reveals that people dislike a dominant East Asian coworker compared to a nondominant East Asian or a dominant or a nondominant White coworker. Study 4 shows that East Asians who are dominant or warm are racially harassed at work more than nondominant East Asians and than dominant and nondominant employees of other racial identities.

A lot of Asians in Australia seem to be successful and many take on many manager/leader roles. Do Asians Americans usually get denied for higher-ranking jobs?

It's absolutely frustrating when people ask me about "Thailand" when I specifically tell them that my family is from "Taiwan". It's 你好, not sawadee kap!!!

A lot of Asians in Australia seem to be successful and many take on many manager/leader roles. Do Asians Americans usually get denied for higher-ranking jobs?

They're a small percentage, I'd say it's probably similar to what women face. I can't speak first hand but was definitely a concern with people I knew who came over from china. They thought they would have to go back because they'll never get management roles here.

Ashes

Banned
ABCs? I know ABCs mean Asian British Culture over here in Britainland, but what does it mean in the states?
American Born Chinese?

SRG01

Yes, the effect is also dubbed The Bamboo Ceiling.

Opiate

I do feel that the fight against prejudice in the US is disproportionately focused on helping a few specific minorities rather than helping fight prejudice more generally. Some groups which absolutely face prejudice often seem ignored.

That includes Asians, of course, but even groups like Jews or the elderly have significant problems with prejudice that many of us who identify as young, progressive liberals seem to be less concerned with than I feel we should be.

I'm not sure why, but I suspect the economic/educational success of groups like Asians and Jews makes prejudice against them seem less important or less significant. I don't know that's the case, but it seems like a possible explanation: "well, Asians are rich, so who cares if someone calls them all nerdy whimps."

vern

I do feel that the fight against prejudice in the US is disproportionately focused on helping a few specific minorities rather than helping fight prejudice more generally. Some groups which absolutely face prejudice often seem ignored.

That includes Asians, of course, but even groups like Jews or the elderly have significant problems with prejudice that many of us who identify as young, progressive liberals seem to be less concerned with than I feel we should be.

I'm not sure why, but I suspect the economic/educational success of groups like Asians and Jews makes prejudice against them seem less important or less significant. I don't know that's the case, but it seems possible.

Also, I think in general prejudice towards Asians is less openly hostile. People don't call Asians "subhuman" or think they'll burn in hell solely for being Asian. I think that's why it seems "less important" more than anything else.

Opiate

Also, I think in general prejudice towards Asians is less openly hostile. People don't call Asians "subhuman" or think they'll burn in hell solely for being Asian. I think that's why it seems "less important" more than anything else.

Possibly. I know people say that about Jews, though, and anti-Semitism often doesn't seem to be taken seriously amongst those I know (anecdotal, of course). Please note also that I'm not suggesting all prejudices are exactly equal; I hope we can all agree here that the current problems facing blacks in the US are more systemic and damaging than those facing Asians, for instance. I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be in proportion, and we should treat them all as bad.

Let me put it another way: when I speak with my friends (almost all of whom self identify as liberal and progressive), they seem extremely concerned with prejudice against blacks, women, and gays, but almost entirely unconcerned with prejudice against groups like Jews or Asians. I have to actively fight to convince them they should care, as they seem vaguely dismissive of the notion that prejudice against Asians is a big deal. Maybe my anecdotal experience differs from others here, but based on the conversation that's happening it doesn't sound like my experience is all that different from others who may have more immediate experience with this sort of prejudice.

vern

Possibly. I know people say that about Jews, though, and anti-Semitism often doesn't seem to be taken seriously amongst those I know (anecdotal, of course).

It's a lot easier for people to join together and fight for something like gay marriage or cops to stop shooting black people than it is for people to fight for everybody to stop making Asians have small penis jokes. I know there is more to it than that but imo that's the biggest factor. People don't really see Asians or Jews as oppressed and their rights infringed upon for the most part compared to other groups, so why get up in arms about it?

Fuchsdh

I'm not sure why, but I suspect the economic/educational success of groups like Asians and Jews makes prejudice against them seem less important or less significant. I don't know that's the case, but it seems like a possible explanation: "well, Asians are rich, so who cares if someone calls them all nerdy whimps."

Well, "making it" is really the general sign of success in the United States, so if you're well-off, yeah, I think that people don't much have sympathy for you.

Most groups fighting for their rights are generally self-interested, and I don't think that's really a bad thing insofar as it's pretty hard to campaign for methods of ending discrimination without having benefits for other race and ethnicities beyond your own. Like most things in a democracy, you've got to lobby hard to get someone interested and on-board for your cause.

Tangentally-related, I think people in this thread might find the most recent Freakonomics episode really interesting. It's talking about workers in ethnic cuisine: http://freakonomics.com/2015/06/24/...r-employees-a-new-freakonomics-radio-episode/

Opiate

Well, "making it" is really the general sign of success in the United States, so if you're well-off, yeah, I think that people don't much have sympathy for you.

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, it seems to be the case that people believe problems (even big problems, like systemic racial biases) stop mattering as soon as you have money.

Most groups fighting for their rights are generally self-interested, and I don't think that's really a bad thing insofar as it's pretty hard to campaign for methods of ending discrimination without having benefits for other race and ethnicities beyond your own.

If that's the case, I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that people can be so selfish. I'm a white male (with a WASPy background, even though I am actually atheist), so none of the progressive causes I fight for benefit me personally. Most actively work against me, as increasing power and influence of minorities and women reduces me on a relative scale. But it's what is right -- blacks really are unfairly discriminated against, women really are treated unfairly in the workplace, and so forth -- so I fight for it anyway. I suppose I'm saying I wish people weren't so selfish, but that's sort of hand waving, ineffectual moralizing.

Fuchsdh

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, it seems to be the case that people believe problems (even big problems, like systemic racial biases) stop mattering as soon as you have money.

If that's the case, I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that people can be so selfish. I'm a white male (with a WASPy background, even though I am actually atheist), so none of the progressive causes I fight for benefit me personally. Most actively work against me, as increasing power and influence of minorities and women reduces me on a relative scale. But it's what is right -- blacks really are unfairly discriminated against, women really are treated unfairly in the workplace, and so forth -- so I fight for it anyway. I suppose I'm saying I wish people weren't so selfish, but that's sort of hand waving, ineffectual moralizing.

Honestly I think being white in a weird way makes me more likely to support strong anti-discrimination measures and whatnot, just because I don't have as much "skin in the game" as it were. There are situations where being white is an asset, or at least not a hindrance. But those are generally invisible and abstract. Whereas minorities or just people in general who have had a tougher set of obstacles in their life, or at least perceive that to be the case, might react a bit more selfishly—because the sense of loss is much more tangible. Can't get too worked up about losing something you didn't realize you had, essentially.

I think you could argue that reaction—as well as the more general issue we're discussing of how being wealthy is seen as removing prejudice—applies a bit to the debate around affirmative action with college admissions, and the role Asian-American groups have played.

I don't think anyone here (or sane, really) would argue that blacks don't experience the worst discrimination. The thing is that, while they have it the worst, it doesn't mean that no one else's problems matter. We're all climbing the ladders, trying to get to the platform currently occupied by white men, but we're all trying to shove at each other off from the side.

And, honestly, the more times I see apathy from other minorities, trying to marginalize and trivialize my group's issues, the more tempting it is to respond in kind.

SRG01

I don't think anyone here (or sane, really) would argue that blacks experience the worst discrimination. The thing is that, while they have it the worst, it doesn't mean that no one else's problems matter. We're all climbing the ladders, trying to get to the platform currently occupied by white men, but we're all trying to shove at each other off from the side.

And, honestly, the more times I see apathy from other minorities, trying to marginalize and trivialize my group's issues, the more tempting it is to respond in kind.

100% agreed. It's not a race to see who suffers the most. Discrimination affects all minorities whether it be gender, sexual orientation, or race.

Grakl

Hah, meanwhile my mom's Thai, and people think I mean Taiwanese

Opiate

Honestly I think being white in a weird way makes me more likely to support strong anti-discrimination measures and whatnot, just because I don't have as much "skin in the game" as it were. There are situations where being white is an asset, or at least not a hindrance. But those are generally invisible and abstract. Whereas minorities or just people in general who have had a tougher set of obstacles in their life, or at least perceive that to be the case, might react a bit more selfishly—because the sense of loss is much more tangible. Can't get too worked up about losing something you didn't realize you had, essentially.

I think you could argue that reaction—as well as the more general issue we're discussing of how being wealthy is seen as removing prejudice—applies a bit to the debate around affirmative action with college admissions, and the role Asian-American groups have played.

I definitely agree with a lot this. A sort of similar example would be that it's far easier for someone from the US to be charitable and giving than it is for someone who lives in an impoverished third world country. Not because we're better people in some inherent way, but because we're in a position of comfort and power than makes it far easier for us to give.

I don't think anyone here (or sane, really) would argue that blacks don't experience the worst discrimination. The thing is that, while they have it the worst, it doesn't mean that no one else's problems matter. We're all climbing the ladders, trying to get to the platform currently occupied by white men, but we're all trying to shove at each other off from the side.

This is really what I was trying to say, yes. Prejudice is always bad; the fact that Asian Americans face less severe forms than Black people (right now, and specifically in the US) doesn't mean that Asian people's problems don't matter.

And, honestly, the more times I see apathy from other minorities, trying to marginalize and trivialize my group's issues, the more tempting it is to respond in kind

I'd add that we don't even really need to be talking about a traditional minority group to evoke the sentiment you're talking about. I'm sure we've all seen people in our lives or on GAF refer to the south in general as a place full of ignorant inbred racists, which probably doesn't make someone from the south inclined to be charitable and sympathetic (and yes, I'm sure millions of them would be).

This is really what I was trying to say, yes. Prejudice is always bad; the fact that Asian Americans face less severe forms than Black people (right now, and specifically in the US) doesn't mean that Asian people's problems don't matter.
Fo' sho. This is the most infuriating thing about affirmative action threads. You have people in there saying that blacks should be held to a lower standard because of obstacles due to systemic racism, and okay, it's kind of arguable whether it's racist itself to expect the entire group to not be able to perform up to the same standard as everyone else, but I can see where they're coming from; it's certainly a complex issue with no good answer right now. But then, these same people will turn around and say that Asians should be held to a higher standard because...because why? When pressed, they then turn to the most racist answers imaginable--slamming the education systems in Asia that allegedly teach only drone-like memorization; Asians can't be capable because they only know how to take tests. What? And how does this even apply to groups like Asian Americans, who grew up with western educational backgrounds? I mean, I get that college admissions is a zero sum game and that there are only so many spots to go around, but it's nonsense to promote one group because of systemic racism and then punish another group for the very same reason.

It's also annoying how, in quite a few threads, the topic will open up about whites and minorities, and then people will treat it as whites and blacks. So the rest of us don't exist anymore? Or we just don't matter?

I'd add that we don't even really need to be talking about a traditional minority group to evoke the sentiment you're talking about. I'm sure we've all seen people in our lives or on GAF refer to the south in general as a place full of ignorant inbred racists, which probably doesn't make someone from the south inclined to be charitable and sympathetic (and yes, I'm sure millions of them would be).
I think a lot of this can be attributed to the American inability to see collectives as more than a single entity. So, like, we'll read about a few crazies in Florida, for example, and then suddenly everyone in the state is a sociopath.

The difference, though, is that the above example pertains to where you live, whereas the stereotyping of minorities and such pertains to who you are. It's easy to sell a statement like, "I live here, but I'm not like other people who live here," versus, "I have this skin color, but I'm not like other people who have it." I can't really say why, but I think it's because the former is something you can kind of control and choose whether or not to be a participant, while the latter just is or isn't. So it's like, you can choose to remove yourself from your current living arrangements, but you can't fight against your innate nature or something.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Man, I'm gone for a week and look at all the craziness that breaks loose. :D

There's a reason I'm more classical liberal than progressive - a lot of modern progressive thought I see is basically bullshit rationalization of self-interest. Which, don't get me wrong, self-interest is fine and makes the world go 'round. But I get super annoyed when people refuse to own up to the self-interest part.

I mean, let's be honest, the discussion around affirmative action is more or less "asians are exceptions, screw them". Even when there is evidence that using class based adjustments rather than race based adjustments lead to a more diverse group of students, and lets not even get in to the idea that geographic diversity and socioeconomic diversity are also diversity...nope, can't give those pesky asians advantages for giving a shit about education!

Sorry, I could rant about this for days.

BSB, congrats!

Opiate

It's also annoying how, in quite a few threads, the topic will open up about whites and minorities, and then people will treat it as whites and blacks. So the rest of us don't exist anymore? Or we just don't matter?

Yes, I've noticed this too. Or when people talk about "race relations" it's often just a euphemism for "black relations with white people."

I think a lot of this can be attributed to the American inability to see collectives as more than a single entity. So, like, we'll read about a few crazies in Florida, for example, and then suddenly everyone in the state is a sociopath.

I don't think that's particularly American, frankly. I think the human brain is hardwired to seek out patterns and put things in categories. That's often a good thing, but prejudice is an example where that tendency takes us down the wrong path.

The difference, though, is that the above example pertains to where you live, whereas the stereotyping of minorities and such pertains to who you are. It's easy to sell a statement like, "I live here, but I'm not like other people who live here," versus, "I have this skin color, but I'm not like other people who have it." I can't really say why, but I think it's because the former is something you can kind of control and choose whether or not to be a participant, while the latter just is or isn't. So it's like, you can choose to remove yourself from your current living arrangements, but you can't fight against your innate nature or something.

Yes, I don't think they're exactly and perfectly equivalent, but I also wouldn't want to downplay how hard it is to make moves like you're suggesting. It's not easy to just say "I'm going to leave everyone I know and move somewhere else because people say bad things about where I was born." And frankly, I don't feel they should have to.

So again, I'm not saying all forms of prejudice are exactly the same; I was just saying they are all forms of prejudice. I would say southern whites have it less bad than Asians who in turn have it less bad than blacks (and all for different reasons with varying contextual variables), but saying "this isn't as bad" doesn't make it good.

Fo' sho. This is the most infuriating thing about affirmative action threads. You have people in there saying that blacks should be held to a lower standard because of obstacles due to systemic racism, and okay, it's kind of arguable whether it's racist itself to expect the entire group to not be able to perform up to the same standard as everyone else, but I can see where they're coming from; it's certainly a complex issue with no good answer right now. But then, these same people will turn around and say that Asians should be held to a higher standard because...because why? When pressed, they then turn to the most racist answers imaginable--slamming the education systems in Asia that allegedly teach only drone-like memorization; Asians can't be capable because they only know how to take tests. What? And how does this even apply to groups like Asian Americans, who grew up with western educational backgrounds? I mean, I get that college admissions is a zero sum game and that there are only so many spots to go around, but it's nonsense to promote one group because of systemic racism and then punish another group for the very same reason.

This is in no way unique to America. This board especially is one big circle jerk over crappy American stereotypes. People in general love to generalize whole groups so they can insult and marginalize them.

Yes, I've noticed this too. Or when people talk about "race relations" it's often just a euphemism for "black relations with white people."

I don't think that's particularly American, frankly. I think the human brain is hardwired to seek out patterns and put things in categories. That's often a good thing, but prejudice is an example where that tendency takes us down the wrong path.

Yes, I don't think they're exactly and perfectly equivalent, but I also wouldn't want to downplay how hard it is to make moves like you're suggesting. It's not easy to just say "I'm going to leave everyone I know and move somewhere else because people say bad things about where I was born." And frankly, I don't feel they should have to.

So again, I'm not saying all forms of prejudice are exactly the same; I was just saying they are all forms of prejudice. I would say southern whites have it less bad than Asians who in turn have it less bad than blacks (and all for different reasons with varying contextual variables), but saying "this isn't as bad" doesn't make it good.
I agree. I was just trying to approach it from the perspective of people who think that way. It's definitely not an easy thing to leave where you are, but people don't seem to realize that.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm definitely wrong about the American thing. Sorry.

Fuchsdh

I'm wondering if some of the modern framing of race relations has to do with shifting perceptions of race. As has been talked about in lots of places, Asians are now seen and perceived as white by many people; it's possible that in a few decades Asians will be under the "white" umbrella in the same way that the Irish are white, but were seen as inferior and equivalent to blacks at one time.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
This is in no way unique to America. This board especially is one big circle jerk over crappy other people's stereotypes. People in general love to generalize whole groups so they can insult and marginalize them.

fixed that for you.

The board is human nature, more or less. I mean, hell, most of us can't even figure ourselves out. Generalizations are a coping mechanism, more or less, to deal with the complexity of the world. Using them to marginalize others is when they are bad. But even then, the marginalization is bad, not the generalization itself.

EDIT: basically, what BSB said above me. <3 to the Bunny.

Erheller

Asian-GAF, I made red bean mochi. It doesn't look very appetizing, though. You can see my fingerprints on it :(

fZZVxwY.jpg

It tastes good, though! Making your own red bean paste is totally worth it.

SRG01

Asian-GAF, I made red bean mochi. It doesn't look very appetizing, though. You can see my fingerprints on it :(

It tastes good, though! Making your own red bean paste is totally worth it.

Home made red bean anything is amazing. I honestly can't drink or eat the stuff at restaurants anymore.

Ashes

Banned
A friend's niece (Asian) once wrote 1+1= happiness.
They asked why that was.
She said, mummy plus daddy equal me!

This same kid thought parents get babies from the government.

ABCD is American Born Confused Desi (Indian), fwiw.

I've heard this one too.

SRG01

Wait, I just noticed something. Is that how people actually grill their corn? O_O Have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Top Bottom