• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Sober

You made me laugh out loud at work >:O

YOU DEVIL. I am supposed to be super reliable, hard working, never complaining Asian employee!!! What have you done!!!
Congratulations, you are now white and no longer Asian. Please call the enclosed number (1-800-BE-WHITE) on your phone if your epicanthic fold has not changed overnight. Rs and Ls in speech patterns should revert almost immediately. Hair density in certain regions should normalize over 4-6 weeks. If your penis is still under 5 inches or your vagina has not reoriented within the next week, please consult a physician.

Congratulations, you are now white and no longer Asian. Please call the enclosed number (1-800-BE-WHITE) on your phone if your epicanthic fold has not changed overnight. Rs and Ls in speech patterns should revert almost immediately. Hair density in certain regions should normalize over 4-6 weeks. If your penis is still under 5 inches or your vagina has not reoriented within the next week, please consult a physician.

hooray! im
basically
white now ! :D

I just watched In Search of General Tso on Netflix and recommend it highly. It's really interesting, and I came away from it with a much greater respect for Chinese restaurants, workers, and owners.

I also came away with a desperate hankering for Chef Peng's original recipe.

SRG01

Yo Northeast Asian GAF, it's about $600 or so to fly to HK in November with Air Canada.

This is so tempting.

There's a bunch of related deals for YEG, YYZ and some other city I can't remember through Delta, so it might be a code-share with Air Canada. I think the layover is in Seattle before flying across the Pacific?

I just watched In Search of General Tso on Netflix and recommend it highly. It's really interesting, and I came away from it with a much greater respect for Chinese restaurants, workers, and owners.

I also came away with a desperate hankering for Chef Peng's original recipe.
I'll place it on my watch list. I find the documentaries to be the most interesting thing on Netflix.

I'm done with DOTA. The game has clearly passed me by after a 7 month hiatus. This last week of playing has just been an exercise in frustration.

Sober

I'm done with DOTA. The game has clearly passed me by after a 7 month hiatus. This last week of playing has just been an exercise in frustration.
DOTA is only worth watching at this point for me, and only during TI. I couldn't handle the community. I didn't even mind the fact where learning the game was like a second job, because I basically did that with WoW for years on end.

cdyhybrid

DOTA is only worth watching at this point for me, and only during TI. I couldn't handle the community. I didn't even mind the fact where learning the game was like a second job, because I basically did that with WoW for years on end.

You guys just need to stop tying your enjoyment of the game to wins/losses. Just play your best and strive to play better than you did last game.

And auto-mute everyone in the game immediately upon entering the game.

Sober

Didn't care about win/loss or hour long games where you can't leave or piss off 9 other people. Just in general the community was very toxic and this was even back when I was playing DotA as WC3/TFT UMS days. I think I just had my fill.

You guys just need to stop tying your enjoyment of the game to wins/losses. Just play your best and strive to play better than you did last game.

And auto-mute everyone in the game immediately upon entering the game.

I'm sad to say that it's not just about wins for me....gotta dominate. Being carried after a long losing streak is just as unsatisfying.

I feel like there's something super obvious that I'm missing that would improve my game. It just sucks being another team's punching bag. The other thing is that I've lost a lot of game sense from when I used to play regularly. There were some instances last night where I just shook my head in disbelief at some of my mistakes I made.

Whatever the case, it's off my computer...

cdyhybrid

Didn't care about win/loss or hour long games where you can't leave or piss off 9 other people. Just in general the community was very toxic and this was even back when I was playing DotA as WC3/TFT UMS days. I think I just had my fill.

That's why you mute everyone :p

I'm sad to say that it's not just about wins for me....gotta dominate. Being carried after a long losing streak is just as unsatisfying.

I feel like there's something super obvious that I'm missing that would improve my game. It just sucks being another team's punching bag. The other thing is that I've lost a lot of game sense from when I used to play regularly. There were some instances last night where I just shook my head in disbelief at some of my mistakes I made.

Whatever the case, it's off my computer...

It happens, people have bad games - in all games, not just DOTA. Nothing you can do but shrug, salvage any lessons you can (sometimes there aren't any), and move on.

SRG01

I guess the same could be said of other hobbies too, where there's a skill level involved. Hell, I still have to repeatedly tell myself that hobbies don't have a ROI and I shouldn't be obsessed with things other than simply enjoying myself!

I had a few friends growing up that played competitive CS, and eventually they just quit because despite being at the top tiers they weren't having fun anymore. Some of my other friends just LAN because it was more fun to play with friends than a competitive ladder.

I'm all about the single player experience now.

I still get competitive on leaderboards sometimes, though. "Oh, you did this AR map and got a 115 combo? Here's a video of my 197 combo with 15 variations."

Ashes

Banned
I remember being in accelerated classes in school. Really didn't think it was worth it for the extra workload.
Came to hate it, when you see how much work you do, and how much somebody else coasting to an A does.

Though now that I look back, easing my way through school, came back to bite me in college, university, and life after that...

That work ethic, where you're doing 100% more than most in class, really is useful in life.

Been playing a lot of Rising Storm. I really enjoy it. Good big map. Frustration yet rewarding.

But there is a fuck ton of racist comments towards Japanese from the community.

Sober

Been playing a lot of Rising Sun. I really enjoy it. Good big map. Frustration yet rewarding.

You mean Rising Storm?

Cause the Red Orchestra community is pretty fuckin terrible, and this was before they added the Japanese theatre.

Sober

Oops yea rising storm. Yea they're pretty awful, but sometime they keep the racism to the minimal and focus on team work and winning.
Man I remember the RO forums back in the days, people littered their forum avatars and signatures with a bunch of nazi germany symbols and would cry that ITS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE IM NOT A NAZI YOU GODDAMN JEWS basically. Just the most outrageous amount of Nazi fetishizing ever mixed with outrageous denial. They probably still do that.

I haven't played RS myself but I can only imagine.

Apparently Insurgency's community is probably like that too, but for Middle Easterners.

Erheller

Been playing a lot of Rising Storm. I really enjoy it. Good big map. Frustration yet rewarding.

Oh, I saw you in a server yesterday or the day before. I was wondering why the name "seductivpancakes" sounded so familiar. We should play together sometime!

The racist comments in general are way out of control. Anti-Japanese, anti-German, anti-Russian (but no anti-American, lol). It's relatively easy to ignore the comments, though. I think it's just a reflection of the terrible community - there's petty rivalries between all of the veteran players, and they're pretty unfriendly to new players (although they're pretty helpful if you ask questions).

But sometimes everything goes right. You get a TL calling out strats and getting good artillery marks. You get an amazing Squad Leader 1 that spawns half your team in a flanking position. You get a 10-player banzai charge going. That's why I keep playing that game.

I used to play Insurgency, too. It's impossible to get through a 16-24 player match without hearing someone make a Muslim joke.

Llyranor

Oh man, Hong Kong. One of the best food cities in the world.
You mean Rising Storm?

Cause the Red Orchestra community is pretty fuckin terrible, and this was before they added the Japanese theatre.
I'd suggest playing on a European server rather than a North American one. I've just found the community less toxic/racist in general (and this seems to apply to all WW2 games). But of course, there's always a fair share of Wehraboos

Sober

I don't get it. Is there a play on words that I'm not picking up on?
They're WW2 Nazi Germany fanboys. (BUT THEY'LL INSIST THEY WEREN'T ALL NAZIS OR RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL THE BAD HITLER THINGS, JUST PATRIOTIC GERMAN PEOPLE DOING THEIR DUTY, YOU TOTALLY CAN'T DISPROVE THAT)

The German Army = Wehrmacht

We call anime obsessed people in the western hemisphere Weeabos

2x + y/4 = z^3 QED

I got called out by blackslashbunny and make my (re)appearance in this thread.

How do you pronounce wehraboos?

On a serious note, I drove into Little Saigon today and managed to nab $3 banh mi at this really delicious spot.

In my city it's double the price for half the quality. Do I want to drive 20 minutes every time I want sandwiches? IS THE GAS COST WORTH IT.

Help me Asian GAF. Do the math for me, you're my only hope.

Weh-ra-boo (I haven't even heard of this term), as for sammiches, where the hell did you get banh mi for $3?! Where I'm at its around $5-$6.

Llyranor

I just pronounce it wehr-a-boo (same pronounciation as wehrmacht).

I remember when banh mi used to be 2 bucks. I guess that kind of dates me.

On a serious note, I drove into Little Saigon today and managed to nab $3 banh mi at this really delicious spot.

In my city it's double the price for half the quality. Do I want to drive 20 minutes every time I want sandwiches? IS THE GAS COST WORTH IT.

Where a boo

mercviper

I got called out by blackslashbunny and make my (re)appearance in this thread.

Weh-ra-boo (I haven't even heard of this term), as for sammiches, where the hell did you get banh mi for $3?! Where I'm at its around $5-$6.

I just pronounce it wehr-a-boo (same pronounciation as wehrmacht).

I remember when banh mi used to be 2 bucks. I guess that kind of dates me.

At the HK Supermarket near my parent's house I think the Banh Mi are still $2.50 each. It's on the other side of town for me though :<

Top Bottom