• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Yeah I got insurance thankfully. Police told me to call the fire dept. to remove the tree branch but the fire department is like... Just get some people to do it yourself. /shrug

Wildstar needs to go F2P faster as I found MMOs-not-WoW suck (imo) with the exception of GW2 but I'm not liking the way the game is going (plus I got bored of it).

Another gaming-related note, I need to get my friends into Dota 2, tired of playing LoL...

How do you pronounce wehraboos?

On a serious note, I drove into Little Saigon today and managed to nab $3 banh mi at this really delicious spot.

In my city it's double the price for half the quality. Do I want to drive 20 minutes every time I want sandwiches? IS THE GAS COST WORTH IT.

Help me Asian GAF. Do the math for me, you're my only hope.

Banh Mi Che Cali has pretty solid sandwiches at around $3.50, but buy 2 get 1 free.

3phemeral

Banh Mi Che Cali has pretty solid sandwiches at around $3.50, but buy 2 get 1 free.

Which one is it? I hope it's not the one on Valley Blvd across from Noodle World. That place has been through so many health grade changes. As much as I love it, I can't muster the courage to go back there after being closed down several times, only to pop up again a year or so later with still-fluctuating grades.

Also, this reminds me: when I was in California a few weeks back, I went to Elite Restaurant in Monterey Park for Dim Sum and while the food was good, one of the shumai had a segment of steel wool broken off into it. It was pretty embarrassing because I recommended the place to my SO's family, so from that point on, we had to break apart every little dish to make sure my SO's niece and nephew weren't eating dishwasher scrubbers.

We reported it to the manger and he was quick to replace the order with another one but I'm not sure how everyone else felt about it.

IMG_20150718_185425.jpg

IMG_20150718_194641.jpg

IMG_20150718_194753.jpg

Not pictured: I seared it for about 30 seconds per side on a cast iron pan. Consistency was perfect. I did medium-rare this time, but I want to try rare next time.

Wait, so you boiled it first?

Cause 30s on each side if you don't is like blue, not rare.
It's not exactly boiling. That thing in the pot is an Anova precision cooker, which keeps the water circulating at whatever temperature you set. In this case, I set it to 130 F and put the steaks in there for about 45 minutes so that their internal temperature was evenly 130 (medium-rare).

I would totally eat my steak blue and usually go no higher than rare anyway, though.

mercviper

[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Trema/IMG_20150718_185425.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Trema/IMG_20150718_194641.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG ]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Trema/IMG_20150718_194753.jpg[/IMG]

Not pictured: I seared it for about 30 seconds per side on a cast iron pan. Consistency was perfect. I did medium-rare this time, but I want to try rare next time.

I just looked that Anova thing up and now I want one.

StMeph

Wait, so you boiled it first?

Cause 30s on each side if you don't is like blue, not rare.

It's not exactly boiling. That thing in the pot is an Anova precision cooker, which keeps the water circulating at whatever temperature you set. In this case, I set it to 130 F and put the steaks in there for about 45 minutes so that their internal temperature was evenly 130 (medium-rare).

It's not anything close to boiling because the water isn't boiling.

Sous vide is immersion cooking under vacuum to control temperatures within 0.1 degrees of what you want. Doneness is generally determined by the temperature something reaches, so if you can control it to stay at just under that threshold, you can basically cook it indefinitely. For beef in particular, most of the flavor comes from searing (Maillard reaction), so you still have to throw it on a pan or scorch it with a torch after sous vide.

Because it's vacuum sealed, you can also do fun tricks like pickling stuff extremely quickly.

Sous vide steaks take a lot of effort but they're sooooo good.

Equipment, yes. Effort, I'm not sure I agree with.

Which one is it? I hope it's not the one on Valley Blvd across from Noodle World. That place has been through so many health grade changes. As much as I love it, I can't muster the courage to go back there after being closed down several times, only to pop up again a year or so later with still-fluctuating grades.

I think it is that one. No roaches in my food yet!

IMG_20150718_185425.jpg

IMG_20150718_194641.jpg

IMG_20150718_194753.jpg

Sous vide cooking is pretty awesome. Pork Chops are also really easy and delicious.

Is that the one in the same plaza as Boiling Crab and Boiling Point? Parking lot is a zoo
although that applies to much of the little saigon area

It is a zoo but I've always managed to navigate it. I mean, I'm used to parking in LA.

golem

Haha got one a while back too. Here's my attempt at lamb, came out so good

11419115_1600230686929622_1650604344_n.jpg

Did some steaks for Father's day, were great as well

Also I have the exact same Kimbo Brand Pork Fu next to my stove lol

Check out Bahn Mi My Tho on Valley, its the best Ive had.

hey guys!

i'm not comfortable
yet
with revealing what I look like.

Nothing to be ashamed of; you don't have to, I'm not the best looking either
I got Adam Sandler level, good enough for me
. I do wish though I looked more like my Chinese half rather than my Filipino half, tan-biases and all that.

Estellex

Do any of you get frustrated at how some people say that some Asians sound "white-washed". It sounds like a very racist term.
Well some of my friends were saying that some Asians sound "White-Washed" in California. I was surprised because do some people not know that there are Asians that are born in the Western Hemisphere? This would make their first language be English.
What's also surprising was that some of my friends that said this are Asian themselves so there is an irony factor to is.

An example would be this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V73nUxssrZ4

My friends said that these people sound White-Wash, but I just say that they are American born and therefore speak English well.

As fellow Asians such as yourself, how shock are you in regards to people indicating some Asians speak "White-Wash"

3phemeral

Check out Bahn Mi My Tho on Valley, its the best Ive had.
Gah, I knew there was something I was missing when I went back. I was only there for a week so it was tough cramming everything in. it's going to be another 6 month wait until I can get my hands on that and Korean BBQ.

suzu

Do any of you get frustrated at how some people say that some Asians sound "white-washed". It sounds like a very racist term.
Well some of my friends were saying that some Asians sound "White-Washed" in California. I was surprised because do some people not know that there are Asians that are born in the Western Hemisphere? This would make their first language be English.
What's also surprising was that some of my friends that said this are Asian themselves so there is an irony factor to is.

My friends said that these people sound White-Wash, but I just say that they are American born and therefore speak English well.

As fellow Asians such as yourself, how shock are you in regards to people indicating some Asians speak "White-Wash"

Yeah, that whole "you sound and/or act white" thing. Other minorities get it too. It's really annoying.

I've heard the term, while I don't use it myself I don't tend to get annoyed by it unless it gets to the point to be a defining characteristic of me and/or Asians-living-in-the-US. Then again, when I hear the term its mostly used in a joking manner amongst my circle of friends. For me it just means "Americanized Asian."

As for it being a racist term, I could see how it can be, but again it doesn't really bother me 'lest I keep hearing it repeatedly. It's not as bad as other past derogatory terms of chinaman, jap, chink, etc.

Anyways, on an unrelated note. Any of you know any good tea kettles (if you're into brewing tea)? The current one I have sucks (as shown in the below pictures, sorry for poor quality) and I would very much like to get a new one.

Sober

The only time I ever really got those condescending "your English is really good" is from old ladies who didn't know better or from those ESL teachers in kindergarten.

Nothing to be ashamed of; you don't have to, I'm not the best looking either
I got Adam Sandler level, good enough for me
. I do wish though I looked more like my Chinese half rather than my Filipino half, tan-biases and all that.
I know I don't have to, but seeing as how others are, I feel like I should be able to work up the confidence to do the same.
what do you mean by adam sandler level?

Well. Hello to you too.

Btw isn't this video title wrong?
[Say Hello in Bengali!]

https://youtu.be/JdTp8yfifCw

She never says hello. Just says: "how are you?" no?
lol, yeah it is wrong. tbh, I don't even know how you say hi in bengali. I just say salaam or namaste.

suzu

I admit I've been guilty of thinking/saying this. More so when I was younger, but now not as much.

I always thought of white wash as someone that really wanted to disown their Asian roots--usually someone that either came over from Asia and it ashamed, or someone that's been here so long they've lost all traces to their Asian roots. (Usually, not speaking/understanding the language at all, not understanding any of the customs, not being aware of heritage or history, not eating/knowing anything about 'foreign' food, and [lol] having no Asian friends.) The last one really only applies in an area that has a lot of Asians (15% or more).

Yeah, I've heard it more often from Asians. I honestly didn't grow up with that many Asians besides a few family friends. There weren't many around in my area. lol

"You don't have an (Chinese) accent or you speak English well" thing was from mostly older non-Asian people, but a few times I've got it from people my own age or younger. Those were pretty weird. hah

I actually call myself white-washed all the time. it basically just means Americanized-Asian to me. I'm not offended by it at all but I wouldn't use it on anyone else unless I knew them well.

I never thought about it in terms of English-speaking ability though. To me, it was about how I preferred American culture/food/everything over Chinese. When I was younger I was all about eating at McDonalds over Chinese restaurants, and going to Safeway over Ranch 99. I watched American TV and didn't really like any of the Chinese channels or movies, except for the kung fu ones. American school sucked, but Chinese school sucked more.

And I really didn't know or care about learning about my culture.

As an adult I've definitely broadened my horizons, but I still think I'm pretty white-washed. Sure I love sushi and Asian street foods, but so do non-Asians in LA.

Fung Bros! Awwwwww yiiissss.

They sound like typical so-cal Asians to me :x. I would argue that so-cal Asian subculture is actually it's very own, distinct culture. I wouldn't call it white washed, but it's not like it's "Asian" either.

I admit I've been guilty of thinking/saying this. More so when I was younger, but now not as much.

I always thought of white wash as someone that really wanted to disown their Asian roots--usually someone that either came over from Asia and it ashamed, or someone that's been here so long they've lost all traces to their Asian roots. (Usually, not speaking/understanding the language at all, not understanding any of the customs, not being aware of heritage or history, not eating/knowing anything about 'foreign' food, and [lol] having no Asian friends.) The last one really only applies in an area that has a lot of Asians (15% or more).

I'm not "disowning" your Asian roots was a part of it for me. I just liked American stuff better growing up. Chinese stuff always seemed weirder. I think it's because I made a lot of non-Chinese (but still mostly Asian) friends growing up, and because American culture is generally more appealing and non-threatening to a child in the 80s.

Zoe

I don't think sounding "white-washed" has anything to do with ability but rather stereotypical accents/dialects. Like you wouldn't normally expect an Asian-American to speak with a valley girl accent or deep south twang.

StMeph

My personal opinion is that it has more to do with preferences and mannerisms than just proficiency in speaking English.

American-born 2nd and 3rd generations of immigrants should speak English as the native tongue, yet the distinction persists between being white or not, so it's not language skills.

I actually call myself white-washed all the time. it basically just means Americanized-Asian to me. I'm not offended by it at all but I wouldn't use it on anyone else unless I knew them well.

I never thought about it in terms of English-speaking ability though. To me, it was about how I preferred American culture/food/everything over Chinese. When I was younger I was all about eating at McDonalds over Chinese restaurants, and going to Safeway over Ranch 99. I watched American TV and didn't really like any of the Chinese channels or movies, except for the kung fu ones. American school sucked, but Chinese school sucked more.

And I really didn't know or care about learning about my culture.

As an adult I've definitely broadened my horizons, but I still think I'm pretty white-washed. Sure I love sushi and Asian street foods, but so do non-Asians in LA.

I'm not "disowning" your Asian roots was a part of it for me. I just liked American stuff better growing up. Chinese stuff always seemed weirder. I think it's because I made a lot of non-Chinese (but still mostly Asian) friends growing up, and because American culture is generally more appealing and non-threatening to a child in the 80s.
I feel the exact same way. I always consider myself white-washed, and other people have called me that, too, but always in the context that I am a straight up American in almost all aspects but ethnicity.

You mean 99 Ranch. ;)

Sober

I don't think sounding "white-washed" has anything to do with ability but rather stereotypical accents/dialects. Like you wouldn't normally expect an Asian-American to speak with a valley girl accent or deep south twang.
A lot of CBCs to me sometimes sound like a lower pitch valley girl, complete with all the, "like"s and all. Maybe not so much of the actual condescension, but it's there. My brother's girlfriend is going to medschool and she's very smart but there's also that, which is hilarious.

Also I speak fluent English but if I want I can turn easily just put on a dumb midwestern or stereotypical Canadian accent to take the piss if someone gives me my English is so good line.

Estellex

Most Asian girls in California would probably sound like a "valley" girl. Lol, I will give you the deep south twang, but California actually has a lot of Asians.

The valley girl "accent" originated from California too by the way so the Valley girl accent isn't too far-fetch.

I feel the exact same way. I always consider myself white-washed, and other people have called me that, too, but always in the context that I am a straight up American in almost all aspects but ethnicity.

You mean 99 Ranch. ;)

You just blew my mind.

Most Asian girls in California would probably sound like a "valley" girl. Lol, I will give you the deep south twang, but California actually has a lot of Asians.

The valley girl "accent" originated from California too by the way so the Valley girl accent isn't too far-fetch.

My cousin has a valley girl accent and it really makes her sound like an airhead. I'm not sure how she acquired it since she grew up in the middle of nowhere in NorCal, but she eventually made her way down South to be with her people.

I sometimes sound like a valley girl :(. I have to catch myself, but I do often dip into it. After all, I was raised in socal, so like, yeah. :p

I don't know anyone that would consider me white washed, though. No one has ever accused me of being so, though I do get people on voice chat (after finding out I'm Asian American) telling me "wow I thought you were a white girl!"

I think it might be what my cousin actual says that annoys me, although the accent doesn't help. I really am puzzled at how she picked up the valley girl accent. Like I said, she grew up in the middle of nowhere. I actually live in the valley and I don't really hear valley girl accents as strong as hers.

Sounding white seems weird to me, because unless people mean specific accents such as valley girl, southern, boston, etc., if someone says you sound white then they really mean you don't sound Asian/fobby. I would definitely be taken aback if someone said I sounded white.

And bunny, I saw your post in the BlackLivesMatter/Bernie Sanders thread, and I agree that leveling the playing field economically would probably be a huge and important step to combating racism against black people. While racism against Asians still exists, I think it's mostly the inoffensive kind. For example, I've never feared for my life when interacting with the police.

Possible she's overcompensating? Isn't the more rural part of California a bit...less progressive?

Possibly. She did come down here for college so maybe she saw Clueless and made it her life goal to be a valley girl.

The guy that told me that was from Australia so I was like w/e. Just a lower class guy who lived in government housing and was a bag boy at a supermarket. Nice guy, really good friend, but it was to be expected.

& yeah, I didn't want to get into the topic TOO much because they... well, that topic is not going to end well, but I did feel like it is worth pointing out that economic equality would really be a start.

I'm uncomfortable in almost all poor areas, to be honest. Unfortunately, many of them here in CA are minority dominated, and so by me avoiding the poor areas I also get very limited exposure to other minorities. That doesn't help race relations TBH. At least, that's how I see it, and what it's like personally for me.

Interesting. I am also uncomfortable in poor areas and don't have a lot of experience with them. The only "poor" people I know are all white though. And they're not really poor (though they're not rich either), though they did come from poor backgrounds. Their upbringing has certainly infused them with some "interesting" viewpoints.

And I know it's an anecdote but a lot of my Asian friends my age that ARE racist do seem to think that things resulting from poverty can be attributed to race. I hear that a LOT, a surprising amount, really, even from people my age. It's scary.

Hmmm, I don't personally know anyone who is racist. At least not anyone I would consider a friend or even an acquaintance. The poorish white friends come closest in that they just don't really consider racism a huge problem. Does casual, inoffensive racism count? Because they probably exhibit some of that, combined with casual misogyny that I just roll my eyes at.

I am more amused than offended when they talk about high everyone's a social justice warrior now, or how girls should all be pink princesses, or when I am described as a ninja.

A giant stuffed teddy bear :D

TuDNb4f.jpg

You know, funnily enough, I was wearing a "sexy Catholic school girl" outfit in this photo, for Halloween. Speaking of schoolgirls and sex...

Finished the 17 minute short, and it's pretty depressing. Makes me wonder what happens to the young women in American society in similar circumstances.

yea I thought it was kind of depressing. I hope that outreach worker can get some help. Seems like a huge issue for one person to tackle alone.

Meh.

Is this any different from Vegas and all the "Barely 18" or "Fresh Young Virgins"?

I mean, I think it's kinda bleh, but at the same time don't men prefer young women physically regardless of what age they are?

Nope, but it's Japan so it's weird or their entire culture is like that, and other such assumptions without calling them assumptions and defensively implying that its informed lol. Especially in gaf.

Not sure on the preference thing though, maybe on average we prefer that "developed teen/college co-ed" look but personally like older women so... then again I know I'm weird haha.

Top Bottom