• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

I don't speak Japanese. He started talking to me in Japanese, but I told him I don't speak Japanese (in Japanese) and then said I spoke English (in English), he switched to English and asked, "let's go get dinner."

Shit, should have told him both you and your boyfriend would love to join him for dinner.

SRG01

That's just how it is as a nonwhite, nonmale, nonstraight person in the US in 2015.

Being a chick also means I face a lot more difficulty then men in certain aspects, but I don't hate being a chick. It's not my fault (or my gender's fault) if other people treat me differently or poorly.

I understand what you're saying, but you can't change your ethnicity and there's really no point in feeling sorry for yourself about something you can't change. If it really bothers you that much, I'd honestly suggest you go to talk to a professional.

Haha, I did speak to someone about this...maybe over 12 years ago. It's strange, or perhaps not strange, how being aware of these things doesn't actually make it any easier :p

Llyranor

You can't change your skin color or other people, just your mindset. So you're Asian, so what? Own it. Wear it like a badge of honor.

I recognize that my Asianness has its downsides, but I would never trade it for anything else. Be proud of who you are, and screw anyone who tries to put you down.

We were there for two weeks, and we were in Kyoto, Osaka, Tokyo, with a couple days at Miyajima and Hakone.

Interestingly enough, that's pretty much everywhere we're going to be heading to this time, too. It'll be my first time at Miyajima and Hiroshima area though, how many days would you recommend there?

You can't change your skin color or other people, just your mindset. So you're Asian, so what? Own it. Wear it like a badge of honor.

I recognize that my Asianness has its downsides, but I would never trade it for anything else. Be proud of who you are, and screw anyone who tries to put you down.

Listen to this man. Asian, smasion. Enjoy your life and don't worry about stuff that shouldn't be that big a deal.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
What do you mean?

Chinese, American, and European fans were giving each other good natured shit throughout the entire event.

The general idea is that rather than being fans of just the game, people were supporting teams, and that is a cool step forward.

There was no actual malicious-ness involved; it was very much more of the "fans trying to out-do each other in terms of being loud and supportive". In terms of DOTA play; most American fans like Chinese DOTA teams for playstyle more than European teams, and in the Chinese vs European team matches, the American fans were almost completely cheering on the Chinese teams (Team Secret, the fan favorite of the whole event, notwithstanding).

The US fans were pretty good during this whole tournament, tbh. Far less of the "evil chinese teams" thing going for sure. Sporting events would dream of this level of civility at their events.

SRG01

Listen to this man. Asian, smasion. Enjoy your life and don't worry about stuff that shouldn't be that big a deal.

Haha yeah, I know. Sometimes I wish I still have my exuberance of days long gone :p (I'm not actually that old, but definitely feel like it at times)

Erheller

I sort of agree and disagree with the "essay" format. If only because it is very necessary for life, period. That is probably something as essential as math and that should be drilled into your head as soon as possible and reinforced. A thesis is basically presenting an argument or a point of view, and well, if people can't do that ... well I guess that's what the internet is for these days.

Yeah, I think the process is very rote and mechanical, but you don't want to confuse people by complicating things, obviously. I think the "thesis" structure works fine, it's up to the individual to take it and make it their own. I think the underlying issue is that in high school up to most of undergrad, you don't get to pick your own topics (most of undergrad, you might get lucky) to write about. And depending on how much you want to talk about whatever topic or where you land on the scale of passionate/dispassionate, it's a huge difference to the material that you produce.

Like if I told you to tell me why your favourite movie is the best fucking movie ever, well, you have the tools to do so. Add your enthusiasm for the subject and I'm sure you'll easily blow past the standard 5 paragraph structure but every argument you make will support your overall thesis, and hell, maybe even be convincing (especially if you want to convince me your favourite move is a comic book movie).

It's not strictly limited to the liberal arts either. I assume scientific papers work on the same general (GENERAL) outline with a few changes for scientific method reasons, etc. I never really got past a scientific paper without falling asleep (I have a B.Sc, laugh at me) but it's the same thing: you make your thesis (or hypothesis anyway), then you discuss the methodology, etc, then the results, implications, etc. Seems pretty close to me.

I also sorta use the "thesis" structure to evaluate media. And in the same effect, that's also how I sort of write fiction (in a general sense, because it's not as simple but the underlying intent is all there) Not sure if anyone else does it, but I'm sure they do, just not consciously think about it all the time.

I do agree that knowing the general format of how a thesis is important for writing. If you don't have a thesis, after all, you're more likely than not going to wallow around without making any good points. It's just that the way school taught me the thesis structure was far too rigid. I had several English teachers that would take points off if you used more than one paragraph for one of your main points, or if you had 9 sentences in a paragraph. They had a rubric and followed it to the letter. I could probably write several pages about my favorite movie, but if I turned that paper in to one of those English teachers, they'd take tons of points off. Of course, there were also teachers that didn't follow the rubric so strictly, but they were in the minority. I guess my problem is that teachers often emphasized the rubric above actual cohesiveness and quality. High school essays for me were a simple matter of making sure I satisfied the rubric.

SRG01

I do agree that knowing the general format of how a thesis is important for writing. If you don't have a thesis, after all, you're more likely than not going to wallow around without making any good points. It's just that the way school taught me the thesis structure was far too rigid. I had several English teachers that would take points off if you used more than one paragraph for one of your main points, or if you had 9 sentences in a paragraph. They had a rubric and followed it to the letter. I could probably write several pages about my favorite movie, but if I turned that paper in to one of those English teachers, they'd take tons of points off. Of course, there were also teachers that didn't follow the rubric so strictly, but they were in the minority. I guess my problem is that teachers often emphasized the rubric above actual cohesiveness and quality. High school essays for me were a simple matter of making sure I satisfied the rubric.

Ugh, well-designed rubrics should be flexible enough to accommodate for an individual student's writing style. A good part of my job involves marking using rubrics and, in my opinion, any rubric that requires me to count X number of paragraphs in each section is a poor rubric.

StMeph

I sort of agree and disagree with the "essay" format. If only because it is very necessary for life, period. That is probably something as essential as math and that should be drilled into your head as soon as possible and reinforced. A thesis is basically presenting an argument or a point of view, and well, if people can't do that ... well I guess that's what the internet is for these days.

Disagree vehemently with its importance. I can't imagine very many instances of needing that manner of long-form writing in modern life or work. Financial literacy, public speaking, and business writing are probably more important skills that are teachable in school. Business writing in this case is just used to refer generally to proposals/plans, resume/CVs, and email/correspondence.

That said, the basic framework for essay writing is an important guideline. Teachers that adhere too strictly to it are basically lazy. It's much easier to grade, after all. But most high school writing needs a heavy editorial hand, too, so it's usually some fault on both sides.

It sounds like those teachers were either lazy, checked out, or didn't understand the material. There definitely should be less emphasis on, say, length of argument and more on whether your essay is cohesive, compelling, and concise.

That said, the basic framework for essay writing is an important guideline. Teachers that adhere too strictly to it are basically lazy. It's much easier to grade, after all. But most high school writing needs a heavy editorial hand, too, so it's usually some fault on both sides.
I definitely agree with this. The essay format should not be about strict adherence to a formula; rather, it should be used to teach students how to properly construct and support an argument. It just happens to be easiest to use a format where you make your assertion first (thesis) and then back it up with supporting arguments (paragraphs and concrete details).

My personal philosophy is that you can bend and break rules after you know the rules to achieve various effects. But if you try to do so without knowing the rules, you're just floundering.

Going to Macau in Nov for a Wedding, after that im hit up Ho Chi Minh, Krabi/Bangkok

Any recommendation to eat @ HCM? or Krabi/Bangkok?

Sober

I think just how public schooling works is really fucked up and needs to be changed, just not sure how, even knowing the particulars.

@StMeph, you make some good points too, those things are definitely things I hadn't considered.

Also if I'm being honest I don't know if many people are just flat out creative these days anyway. Like they unlearn being creative over their lifetime and most attempts to get it back amount to really nothing (add some colour in your slideshow! level of stuff). I think also 'being a creative' seems like a burden to most people more than anything, especially if you fall in particular socio-economic brackets. I'm saying that as a 27 year old who still lives with his parents and is either working mostly part time or not at all instead of putting my stupid bachelor's degree to good use.

SRG01

My personal philosophy is that you can bend and break rules after you know the rules to achieve various effects. But if you try to do so without knowing the rules, you're just floundering.

I think that's where a lot of schools are failing because they over emphasize the standard format while not reinforcing writing style and/or making proper arguments.

Student/Athlete

Reggie Ho never dreamed of playing football in college. Growing up in Hawaii and from Chinese descent, Reginald Ho always visualized himself to be a doctor like his father. He enrolled at Notre Dame pre-med and didn't think much of playing football until he decided he needed a more well-rounded life. He was the placekicker on his high school football team and decided to walk on to the Notre Dame football team.

At 5-foot-5 and 135 pounds, Reggie Ho was one of the smallest players in a major college football program and was now a sudden celebrity on and off campus. As a walk-on, Reggie Ho didn't receive any financial support for Notre Dame. He was a pure student athlete who played for the love of the game and for the love of Notre Dame. After the 1988 season, the senior walk-on walked off the field. Ho continued his pre-med degree at Notre Dame, but no longer played football. Yet he was a crucial part in Notre Dame's most recent undefeated season.

I posted the above in the 30 for 30 thread ... I think it's also pretty relevant in this one.

mercviper

Just boarded the cruise ship for my honeymoon, but here are pics of food from the past couple of days in Honolulu.

PurKmhs.png

Shoyu ahi poke

R9PNYi5.png

Grilled Ono and fried chicken

W8fXuHy.png

Chilled pineapple with plum seasoning

vsqefH1.png

Furikake salmon poke

Qv6iZC8.png

Garlic chicken bento

QJvXw22.png

Doughlicious/magoo's pizza, classic/famous combo

Man the food is so good here. Big portions too!

Not pictured is the mix plate (chicken cutlet, bbq beef and mahi mahi) and a loco moco plate from rainbow drive-in, as well as a garlic shrimp plate from Romy's along the north shore. I assure you they were delicious as well.

SystemBug

Honestly,

I'd think id change my skin color in a flash if I could. I hate being randomly checked at the airport and then interrogated and i hate how people won't get in the same elevator as me because they think I might be a terrorist and then other insensitive people will just straight up say that I look like a terrorist.

It's annoying as heck to deal with that now but then you have the traditional immigrant parent situation where they want to control almost every facet of your life that I also need to deal with.

Blah lol

zeemumu

Honestly,

I'd think id change my skin color in a flash if I could. I hate being randomly checked at the airport and then interrogated and i hate how people won't get in the same elevator as me because they think I might be a terrorist and then other insensitive people will just straight up say that I look like a terrorist.

It's annoying as heck to deal with that now but then you have the traditional immigrant parent situation where they want to control almost every facet of your life that I also need to deal with.

Blah lol

It pissed me off that racism has pushed people to a point where they want a race reroll.

I don't if anyone can help me with this but can someone explain the chinese tone what is falling then rising? I'm watching the videos on Coursera for learning chinese and the woman was saying you don't have time to say both sounds but does that mean you only say the down tone then? So for Ni Hao, it's just a rising tone, followed by a falling tone for "hao". Is this always the case or is this only true for words with one syllable but words with more syllables you say both tones?

I don't if anyone can help me with this but can someone explain the chinese tone what is falling then rising? I'm watching the videos on Coursera for learning chinese and the woman was saying you don't have time to say both sounds but does that mean you only say the down tone then? So for Ni Hao, it's just a rising tone, followed by a falling tone for "hao". Is this always the case or is this only true for words with one syllable but words with more syllables you say both tones?

I would like to know this as well ; I completed the course but it never specified about that beyond that one instance she just said it happens naturally so you don't have to worry about it.

I would like to know this as well ; I completed the course but it never specified about that beyond that one instance she just said it happens naturally so you don't have to worry about it.
Every word is one syllable, so ni hao is actually two words--each with its own tone. I'm assuming the tone you're asking about is the third one, which is signified by a check mark-looking symbol. I don't really know how to describe that in words, though, but it kind of has a lower, drawn out tone.

To use a really not-so-good example, consider these tones for "hao":

1. Hao
2. Hao?
3. Haouh
4. Hao!

That's as close as I can get it using English.

SRG01

Every word is one syllable, so ni hao is actually two words--each with its own tone. I'm assuming the tone you're asking about is the third one, which is signified by a check mark-looking symbol. I don't really know how to describe that in words, though, but it kind of has a lower, drawn out tone.

1. Hao
2. Hao?
3. Haouh
4. Hao!

I usually explain it in terms of cats meowing at people. The 'meow' may sound the same, but the inflection and duration are different depending on what the cat is trying to say.

1. Hao
2. Hao?
3. Haouh
4. Hao!

So like with hao the accent is that like u over the letter a in the word. My understanding is that is a falling tone with a rising tone. In the image below it would be the green line. She said you can't pronounce the a falling and rising tone because you don't have enough time to say it so how is that different than the purple line then? Do you ever say the rising part? She said for ni hao that ni would just be a rising tone and hao would just be a falling tone. So I'm trying to understand how that tone is pronounced since it seems to be handled differently depending on the circumstance. Let me know if I didn't explain it well.

TvQChwX.png

So like with hao the accent is that like u over the letter a in the word. My understanding is that is a falling tone with a rising tone. In the image below it would be the green line. She said you can't pronounce the a falling and rising tone because you don't have enough time to say it so how is that different than the purple line then? Do you ever say the rising part? She said for ni hao that ni would just be a rising tone and hao would just be a falling tone. So I'm trying to understand how that tone is pronounced since it seems to be handled differently depending on the circumstance. Let me know if I didn't explain it well.

TvQChwX.png
I guess, so. If you look at that image, keep in mind the slope of falling part of the third tone. It's kind of falling, but at a very low rate.

Also, completely ignore the ni in this case. That's a separate word entirely, so just focus on hao.

1. Hao
2. Hao?
3. Haouh
4. Hao!

That how I thought it was done but the part describe in the coursera lesson confused me so I just ignored it till it was brought up.

Also since it actually took me a while to notice it but the tone marks above the pinyin character actually shows the direction of the tone

ā is flat
á is a rising tone
ǎ is a tone that falls than rises
à is a falling tone.

It's quite interesting going from Japanese which one could say is all toneless or inflection-less flat kind of language to learning mandarin where you have to constantly adjust the pitch.

I though it was a bit humerous at first but then it just turned mean honestly. I have a friend who gets made fun of because she looks a lot younger than she is.

LOL I was wondering when someone would comment on it in here :D

But honestly, the girl looks like most Asian girls with eyeliner, foundation, and mascara...

NO

YOU DONNO WHATCHU TALKING ABOUT YOU ASIAN PERSON YOU

#AsiansRWeirdOK

:x

It is creepy though that men purposely visit her McD just for her and took picz and stuff. I'd quit in a heartbeat and just open an online stream channel instead. IDK.

y2dvd

Been dating an Indian girl and getting hella stares when we're out and about. I guess our races don't interracially date often but we don't care what others think I suppose, so I think the stares are hysterical.

Sober

Been dating an Indian girl and getting hella stares when we're out and about. I guess our races don't interracially date often but we don't care what others think I suppose, so I think the stares are hysterical.
Time to order a t-shirt that says "Haters gonna hate"

LOL I was wondering when someone would comment on it in here :D

But honestly, the girl looks like most Asian girls with eyeliner, foundation, and mascara...
How are you able to post? Aren't you all just like 12 years old or do you just look and sound like it? Thought there was an age limit on gaf...

I'm waiting for one of those idiots to make the connection between "Asian" beauty and OH FUCK ASIANS DON'T ACTUALLY WANNA LOOK LIKE WHITE PEOPLE.

Shouldn't hold my breath though, stupid people will be stupid.

Been lurking the forums since I've been back but still kinda jet lagged and tired. @__@. Pictures to come! I'll post a couple that I put in Japan OT.

There is a Bunny Island!? I knew of the cat island and fox village. Japan!! get on making a Red Panda Island ; all small animals must have their own Island.

I'm waiting for one of those idiots to make the connection between "Asian" beauty and OH FUCK ASIANS DON'T ACTUALLY WANNA LOOK LIKE WHITE PEOPLE.

Shouldn't hold my breath though, stupid people will be stupid.

Been lurking the forums since I've been back but still kinda jet lagged and tired. @__@. Pictures to come! I'll post a couple that I put in Japan OT.

Aaaaaaaahhhhh that onsen *____*

Dat buuunnnnnnyyyyyy *____*

WB bunbuns!!!!!! 💖

Sober

Those are some awesome pictures bunny.

I hope you made out like a bandit with all those different Kit Kat flavours though, cause I don't know if you have any local stores nearby that import them? We do here, but it's like 3-4x the price you pay in Japan even in Canada. So when our uncle comes to visit we usually ask him to buy a bunch from Japan.

Top Bottom