• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

:p

You are welcome. It's awesome! Are you programming anything for it? I know people use ittt for it. Would be super cool to see more things like that!

Actually that's a really good idea. Sounds like something I might do later on after CS 210 stops making me hate myself and everything else. It's basically turning me into Deathwing.

Ever since I got a dog, I've gone to bed at like 10:30-11 like clockwork. It's kinda sad. On the flip side, I no longer roll into work a tired mess.

StMeph

this amazing other book

ex-video-game-tester

Does not compute.

I will confirm that the testing mindset never goes away. Even now, when I play games at home and my controller starts to vibrate, I silently time the duration of the vibration to see if there's a TRC violation.

wat

I also turn off vibration in every game that provides the option to do so. Rumble pak/vibration was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

In the PS3 days (and probably also PS4, though I don't know it as well), vibration could not last longer than 20 seconds unless it was user initiated (like you're holding down the button to fire an infinite-ammo machine gun, where it stops vibrating when you let go of the button). I remember that when I played inFAMOUS, I noticed that if you grind on a rail, the vibration continues indefinitely while Cole stays on the rail. My first thought was that that was a contravention of the TRC.

Quick derail, but holy shit:

Women Hired To Motivate Computer Programmers

1395111712991822479.jpg

1395111713217442703.jpg

dream job. surrounded by a bunch of nerdy Asian programmers.
I wonder how well that pays. I recall reading in the past that there are studies that show that everyone's productivity goes up when you have both men and women working together.

simplayer

So like with hao the accent is that like u over the letter a in the word. My understanding is that is a falling tone with a rising tone. In the image below it would be the green line. She said you can't pronounce the a falling and rising tone because you don't have enough time to say it so how is that different than the purple line then? Do you ever say the rising part? She said for ni hao that ni would just be a rising tone and hao would just be a falling tone. So I'm trying to understand how that tone is pronounced since it seems to be handled differently depending on the circumstance. Let me know if I didn't explain it well.

Ni uses the third tone. Since the succeeding word does not start with a vowel (hao3), the tone for ni changes from low falling to a low falling then low rising tone. Hao here will stay as low falling. Ni should not sound like the fourth (or purple) tone which is high falling.

I'm not sure, but I feel kinda bad for that one Chinese programmer that is a woman working there. Her face is truly like, "what is this shit."

& I had no idea men and women working together increased productivity.

Hahaha yes that one female Chinese programmer's face is truly capturing how she's super not impressed with that bs

And... Doesn't it bother anyone what the hiring of these "cheerleaders" imply about programmers' stereotypes?

cdyhybrid

Hahaha yes that one female Chinese programmer's face is truly capturing how she's super not impressed with that bs

And... Doesn't it bother anyone what the hiring of these "cheerleaders" imply about programmers' stereotypes?
It would bother me more if I hadn't been in a programming major :p

Not everyone is like that. But those fields are surely in need of greater diversity.

Diversity should come in hiring more female programmers and not hiring female "cheerleaders". And maybe also hire more other minority programmers not just White and Asians... >___>;;;;;

...... but then we'd hear arguments like........ butbutbut female/other minority programmers are just not as good as the male White/Asian ones cuz ... whatever biotruths~ :x (btw, not saying you'd say these stuffs, cdy. just covering the general thrust of where these discussions usually take themselves to)

:x

cdyhybrid

Diversity should come in hiring more female programmers and not hiring female "cheerleaders". And maybe also hire more other minority programmers not just White and Asians... >___>;;;;;

...... but then we'd hear arguments like........ butbutbut female/other minority programmers are just not as good as the male White/Asian ones cuz ... whatever biotruths~ :x (btw, not saying you'd say these stuffs, cdy. just covering the general thrust of where these discussions usually take themselves to)

:x
I fully agree with you. Hiring cheerleaders doesn't count as diversity, lol. I'm just saying the stereotype of the nerdy, socially awkward programmer is fairly common.

zeemumu

I fully agree with you. Hiring cheerleaders doesn't count as diversity, lol. I'm just saying the stereotype of the nerdy, socially awkward programmer is fairly common.

There are certain computer science major people on my campus that are waiting for you to say something stupid so they can pile on you. Sometimes that's true, other times they really don't care. I'm the only black CS major that I've seen, though.

cdyhybrid

Ya, they super common that it's apparently been just 'accepted as the norm'

Groce~

Schools are making efforts to fight this. They're trying to get more diverse sets of people into their classes/majors, and tech companies are (very, very, slowly) attempting to do the same in their hires. It just takes time, and the perception of programming being for nerdy guys isn't helping. Unfortunately, the only way to change that is to change the face of the industry, which would also (hopefully) change their representation in media.

Take this, for example. That's incredibly badass - but you won't see the programmers who do this sort of thing get any shine in movies, etc.

Speaking of programmers: is the 'brogrammer' actually a real thing?

At my college, most of the "bros" were going into business, at least in my anecdotal experience. That said, I feel like the term might be used to refer to anyone that doesn't fit the "typical" programmer mold, in which case there are plenty.

Hahahaha I don't know if hookups are exclusive to bros...

Off current topic: Just picked this up. SO EXCITED. I love betta fish. I also have an extra $100 of equipment in my Amazon cart right now... .... going to wait to get the product first before buying them since many are live (plants and snails).

(Sorry, I know I go through a lot of topics a day. I swear I'm keeping it to the minimum here.)
I actually spent more time than I want to admit, thinking of which two types of apps I could use for that joke.

As for the plants, I enjoy gardening, but I feel guilty using a lot of water right now because of the drought.

Zoe

Asians go into engineering more often than CS. Most programmers I've worked with have been white with some small pockets of Indians.

How come so many Asians go into engineering? Are they really creative? I know a lot of them are pretty math-oriented.

Engineering classes are almost completely math oriented well it's true many engineers after graduating don't do much math at all ; math is all you pretty much do in college if your an going for engineering major.

nampad

Off current topic: Just picked this up. SO EXCITED. I love betta fish. I also have an extra $100 of equipment in my Amazon cart right now... .... going to wait to get the product first before buying them since many are live (plants and snails).

(Sorry, I know I go through a lot of topics a day. I swear I'm keeping it to the minimum here.)

Bettas are cool and that setup looks nice. Does it do most of the work itself (plants somehow getting stuff out of the water etc.)?

Well you are designing things right?

If your lucky; most don't have any creative say in what they are doing what so ever and why would they the majority of things already have a well designed shape and a company isn't going to allow you to redesign a "Bolt" or a "Pipe" and many just end up making squares on a CAD housing blue print as to where to place a AC unit.

SRG01

Engineering is 100% a creative career. In fact, I'd say that the creative process is involved in everything from design to troubleshooting.

I always my students to think outside the box for their designs.

zeemumu

It's nearly that time...only a few more months!

When do we get an Asian lead in a Star Wars film by the way? ;)

I feel like that's happened before. Something in the EU had an Asian lead. I'm like 75% sure of it.

Until then there's jedi #28 in Attack of the Clones

jedi-girl.jpg

I feel like that's happened before. Something in the EU had an Asian lead. I'm like 75% sure of it.

Until then there's jedi #28 in Attack of the Clones

jedi-girl.jpg
Yeah, but then she either gets cut down by Vader or shot up by random clone troopers. Order 66 is the dumbest thing in the prequels for me. These amazing warriors are supposed to all get killed by stormtroopers, essentially? That's worse than the midi-chlorian thing.

zeemumu

Yeah, but then she either gets cut down by Vader or shot up by random clone troopers. Order 66 is the dumbest thing in the prequels for me. These amazing warriors are supposed to all get killed by stormtroopers, essentially? That's worse than the midi-chlorian thing.

Well, to be fair, they didn't ALL get killed by the clone troopers. The Jedi leading clone squardron's were mostly outnumbered/shot in the back. The remaining at the temple were killed by Anakin and the 501st, and then the small few who fled into exile were hunted down by Starkiller.

And I think the most under-represented ethnicity in any fantasy fiction setting is the hispanic ethnicity. I can't think of any hispanic Jedi, or wizards, for that matter. The closest thing they get to magic is usually death.

Bulter Sawn

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bultar_Swan

I like Star Wars EU. Don't judge me.

Well a large majority of them are killed during Order 66. I guess they got too reliant on the clones to ever suspect them to ever betray them. Not really shown in the prequels, but the Jedi cared a lot for the Clones since they are living creatures so I guess that would add to the surprise..

Bulter Sawn

Well a large majority of them are killed during Order 66. I guess they got too reliant on the clones to ever suspect them to ever betray them. Not really shown in the prequels, but the Jedi cared a lot for the Clones since they are living creatures so I guess that would add to the surprise..

Surprise surprise...She would excel at martial arts....

zeemumu

Bulter Sawn

How many times has Vader had his arm cut off?

Surprise surprise...She would excel at martial arts....
Yep and people see no issues with that. People don't see an problem of how a galaxy far far away from planet Earth, Asians are still stereotyped to do martial arts. I'm happy Donnie Yen but I'm going to be turned off from Rogue One if he's the martial arts expert of the gang. He already looks blind and carries a stick.

How many times has Vader had his arm cut off?
Its okay, its only a robot arm.

edit: on topic of Asians in Star Wars.

Ekelarc Yong. The only Asian to stand up to the Empire.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ekelarc_Yong

Edit 2: Okay so I did some more digging for Asian Gaf. Some Asian extras from RotJ
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ardon_Crell
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rayc_Ryjerd

Bai Ling had a scene as a senator in one of the prequels, but the scene was cut.

Top Bottom