• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

yeah frame rate isnt too great on PS3 but there is no screen tearing that I noticed, and I think the game looks beautiful thanks to the tropical setting. I thought the sea battle actually ran quite nicely at a good framerate, its only the exploring the land where framerate isnt too good.

I picked up this and another game for the $40 gift certificate at toys r us, so given I will def spend that its effectively $40 per game, so add on $10 for the PS4 upgrade and its like getting both PS3 and PS4 versions for total of $50!

Updated the OP with reviews, ill update it more as more reviews come in.

i'm happy it seems to be mostly positive, and everyone seems to think the ship stuff is the best part of the game. im excited.

jurtpe404ZJQL.png

:( I care about it.

hah, i used to be really into the present day stuff. then the end of brotherhood happened, and AC3 happened. =/

Rolfgang

please let there be late game tombs/dungeons that get your a full altair set

pirate altair

There are dungeons and also Mayan puzzles, which both will reward you with a different outfit.

The
Templar outfit, which looks extremely cool in my opinion,
for the dungeons and a
Mayan outfit
for the Mayan puzzles.

cdkee

Banned
IMO AC seriously needs to go back to the Assassins vs Templar roots. That's what made AC1 and AC2 so good for me. I'm talking giant conspiracies.

Assassins and Templars in the Caribbean just don't seem as grand as in the Crusades or renaissance Italy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ugh I want to play this now, but if I buy it now it may mean I totally pass on ps4 at launch...

Teknoman

Anyone have Wii U impressions? I havent played the series since two (which kinda bummed me out for the game feeling a little too easy) but pirates are always a good thing, and the game looks beautiful.

Tookay

IMO AC seriously needs to go back to the Assassins vs Templar roots. That's what made AC1 and AC2 so good for me. I'm talking giant conspiracies.

Assassins and Templars in the Caribbean just don't seem as grand as in the Crusades or renaissance Italy.

AC4 seems to wisely realize that whole angle is like a noose tightening around the franchise's neck.

how many weapon types are there? I know dual swords are new, but can you still use single sword, unarmed, blunt weapon etc?

I was able to use a single sword after disarming an enemy. I haven't tried to see if you can buy one or switch though.

I see them doing anything with related to naval battles in the future till it gets played out unfortunately. Even then, they might still milk it.

conman

The folks in charge of the series now simply aren't as smart or as well read IMO. The last two games have been aimed at the low-hanging fruit (pirates and the American Revolution), while the earlier games dug into less familiar--though incredibly significant--moments and places in world history. The whole PKD-inspired paranoid sci-fi angle has been ditched entirely in favor of crowd-pleasing, big-exploding, Hollywood-style bombast. AC3 (and now apparently AC4) are all surface and no depth.

The big appeal of the series used to be in telling the "secret history" of modern political, economic, and social life. That's all gone. And so is the series' soul.

I was able to use a single sword after disarming an enemy. I haven't tried to see if you can buy one or switch though.

I notice the protag sometimes has his hood up and off in footage. is this story related, or outfit related?

His hair is soo hideous i want the hood up permanently... unless you can get a feathery hat or something!

I notice the protag sometimes has his hood up and off in footage. is this story related, or outfit related?

His hair is soo hideous i want the hood up permanently... unless you can get a feathery hat or something!

He puts his hood up in certain cities and red highlighted areas that are heavily guarded. I don't believe there is "a hood button".

Nori Chan

Does anybody know when this game come out for X1? Amazon is a saying the 19th of November but that's before the x1 comes out. So I don't really have a lot of faith in it.

Eggbok

Has anyone played the Aveline missions yet, who has also played AC Liberations? I'm curious to know how much differently it plays.

Mifune

Mehmber
The folks in charge of the series now simply aren't as smart or as well read IMO. The last two games have been aimed at the low-hanging fruit (pirates and the American Revolution), while the earlier games dug into less familiar--though incredibly significant--moments and places in world history. The whole PKD-inspired paranoid sci-fi angle has been ditched entirely in favor of crowd-pleasing, big-exploding, Hollywood-style bombast. AC3 (and now apparently AC4) are all surface and no depth.

The big appeal of the series used to be in telling the "secret history" of modern political, economic, and social life. That's all gone. And so is the series' soul.

Patrice was the history buff on the team and when he left so did much of the franchise's sense of intellectual curiosity.

Strider

Does anybody know when this game come out for X1? Amazon is a saying the 19th of November but that's before the x1 comes out. So I don't really have a lot of faith in it.

November 19th is the official release date. Launch games often come out before the actual console...

This! So much this! The saddest part for me is that the gaming press doesn't get this. They seem oblivious to how the series has changed.

worst part of new AC's is those random 'set pieces' where everything is on fire and you hold up and run through stuff.

bring nothing (Besides killing framerate).

DJIzana

Just curious and I'm not sure if it's been asked before... but is likely that the multiplayer for the PC version will be a ghost town or?

Just debating on what platform to actually get this for still. How active is it on the console side? (I'm mainly concerned about single player. I know multiplayer probably isn't that great or what have you but still interested enough to know.)

Sothpaw

This! So much this! The saddest part for me is that the gaming press doesn't get this. They seem oblivious to how the series has changed.

AAA console games are such a terrible medium for intellectual topics. Books are flat out superior and AAA games are always going to cater to the lowest common denominator. As long as the series is fun I will enjoy it and leave intellectual stimulation to books (AC1 and 2 don't exactly push your mind either btw).

conman

Patrice was the history buff on the team and when he left so did much of the franchise's sense of intellectual curiosity.
Exactly. Watching his influence peter out meant watching the series fizzle too. Very sad, especially considering all of the fallout over his disintegrated THQ project and (second) departure from Ubi.

Most didn't like AC1, so it's not surprising. Most of the press play games quickly (by necessity) and so they need instant gratification. There's no such thing as a "slow burn" to the mainstream press.

I'll wait a few weeks to see what the more "patient" gamers have to say about AC4 before making any decision about whether to give it a shot or not. I don't trust these reviews coming out right at launch. But from what it sounds like, AC4 is an improvement over AC3, but still pales in comparison to the series' best. That's not enough for me.

Xander51

I'm playing on PS3, and really enjoying this game so far. I actually like the slight break in fiction from the earlier games here, because the modern day stuff had more than played its course out for me personally. The game developer angle in this game is great in a weird meta-way, and the pacing in this game is so much better than in 3. I was relieved to start doing actual things almost immediately.

Jeels

this or Knack for launch? Im debating if this will be on sale for black friday, but it may just be current gen ....damn

I'm actually trying to decide the same thing. I played Knack for ~5 minutes and wasn't impressed, but you can't really judge a game in that time span. At the same time, I pretty much know how an AC game will play...

Rolfgang

Where do you go to get Drake's outfits and weapons? (Preorder bonus)

Can't see anything on the map.

It's at the left of the map, near the bottom by memory. It doesn't open up right away tough, you have to be at a certain point in the story. It's marked by a black shield with the initials SI (Sacrifice Island) on it.

Oh and Chickdigger, Edward can only carry four pistols, not six. It does make combat somewhat easier, but do note that you die way quicker compared to other AC games. I remember when I played AC2 that I wanted to die so it would trigger a checkpoint, but that took ages, especially if you were in a near death status.

Maxim726X

I forgot this was even coming out... Reviews are awesome, game looks great.

Never played 3, though I loved 2. Does 3 need to be played?

Gaz_RB

I forgot this was even coming out... Reviews are awesome, game looks great.

Never played 3, though I loved 2. Does 3 need to be played?

Nah dude. Just read a synopsis or something.

Unlike the above poster, I actually liked AC3, but if you're thinking about jumping into AC4, I'd say skip 3.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Seems like the NWR reviewed the Wii U version. It didn't seem like there were many extra features, but it seemed like the game was at least on par with the 360/PS3 versions. The GamePad is only used for a map that you can zoom in and out (no waypoints, etc.). That's what I've heard so far. Also, there seems to be frame-rate issues on the current-gen + Wii U versions. My guess is then the PS4/PC versions are fine. Is there an embargo on reviewing the XB1 version here too?

Rolfgang

Seems like the NWR reviewed the Wii U version. It didn't seem like there were many extra features, but it seemed like the game was at least on par with the 360/PS3 versions. The GamePad is only used for a map that you can zoom in and out (no waypoints, etc.). That's what I've heard so far. Also, there seems to be frame-rate issues on the current-gen + Wii U versions. My guess is then the PS4/PC versions are fine. Is there an embargo on reviewing the XB1 version here too?

PS3 seem to have framerate issues, but so far I haven't noticed any on the 360...

Frillen

360 version looks phenomenal, way better than ACIII. But the best thing is that it also runs a million times better. I also like the cities in this one, it's more like the cities in the pre ACIII games, which is only a good thing in my opinion. So far (about 5-6 hours in) ACIV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ACIII.

EDarkness

I haven't heard of any Wii U framerate issues. From what I was told the game runs smooth on the Wii U.

you know, have they ever fixed the problem where combat completely breaks if you are fighting on elevated surfaces like stairs? animations go wonky and counters may or may not work.

Top Bottom