• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

CrovaxPSO

Has anyone been able to redeem the pre-order DLC on the PS4 version? I entered my code on the SEN website and put them in my PS4 download queue, but I can't find any trace of them anywhere on the actual PS4.

Edit: Seems like there's some kind of problem with communication between the SEN end of things and PSN. I put the code in the PSN store on my PS4 and it worked.

Bebpo

Banned
Hate AC3 more than any game that's not Zelda Spirit Tracks, but after 2 hours of this I'm really happy. It's classic AC that I love and not the travesty that was AC3.

That being said, you know how when you get to a new area and it lists all the stuff on the island/city? Is there any way to bring that back up again besides leaving and coming back? The collector OCD in me wants to pop it up and see my progress in the city while I'm in it.

Omni

Hate AC3 more than any game that's not Zelda Spirit Tracks, but after 2 hours of this I'm really happy. It's classic AC that I love and not the travesty that was AC3.

That being said, you know how when you get to a new area and it lists all the stuff on the island/city? Is there any way to bring that back up again besides leaving and coming back? The collector OCD in me wants to pop it up and see my progress in the city while I'm in it.
Right bumper.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just unlocked the
Templar
outfit thing, but I'm not sure if I wanna wear it. Supposedly you take less damage, and it does look kind of neat. But I wish it had a hood to cover Edward's playdough looking hair. :p Most of the time, I just use his default assassin outfit because I just think it looks better than most others.

Funny thing is, in cut-scenes he will still do the animation as if to pull up the hood over his head, even though there is none :p

looks very silly..

MilkBeard

While I don't hate AC III, I agree. Almost immediately, AC4 just feels like a better game. The setting is a more natural fit, and while doing missions in Havanna, it actually feels like I'm an Assassin, sneaking around. AC III just didn't feel all that great in the cities.

Black Flag isn't perfect, I mean it's still got some annoyances, but so far it feels a lot better than ACIII.

And yeah, the game runs well on the PS4. Goodbye chugging console framerates. Can't wait for the 1080p + AA patch. It's gonna be a beaut.

Ducktail

Just hold RB in the Xbox version.

BigDug13

Another Ubisoft game with a terrible framerate on the 360. This is getting ridiculous. I should have waited for the PS4 version.

It really is "night and day". I redbox'd it for PS3 or a day and it was difficult to control, especially in cities, due to the framerate dips. Now that I have it on PS4, it's like a completely different game where I no longer have to wrestle with the controls. Loving it.

While I don't hate AC III, I agree. Almost immediately, AC4 just feels like a better game. The setting is a more natural fit, and while doing missions in Havanna, it actually feels like I'm an Assassin, sneaking around. AC III just didn't feel all that great in the cities.

Black Flag isn't perfect, I mean it's still got some annoyances, but so far it feels a lot better than ACIII.

And yeah, the game runs well on the PS4. Goodbye chugging console framerates. Can't wait for the 1080p + AA patch. It's gonna be a beaut.

Any timeframe on this?

massoluk

Banned
Finally finished this game. Been a great ride with a little disappointment here and there. Sticky hand syndrome when trying to chase something is still there. So annoying. Don't know if the series can ever fix this.

The ending is kind of a let down. Didn't feel... epic, for lack of a better word. Very anti climatic. Didn't having any inklings that I was playing the last mission in the game until it's over.

But it's definitely one of the better entries. Right up there with Brotherhood.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Watched a friend play through the first couple hours on the "User1" account on my PS4. Jeebus, what a gorgeous looking game. It truly looks next-gen and the pacing is blazing fast. No more 8 bullshit hours of bland wandering (ACIII...ahem). Can't wait to dig into it myself.

taoofjord

Haven't played much AC since 2, which i loved, but I grabbed 4 anyway. I can't believe how far this series has strayed from 2. Everything feels smashed together and clunky. I'm seeing no passion for the historical setting and the entire world feels lifeless. The main character's light hearted personality is fun but his design is incredibly bland.

I'm gonna keep going, though, maybe it'll grow on me once I can start exploring the ocean but so far, really not enjoying it. (MP seems like it could be a fun though).

Riddler

Played every AC except Revelations (I have it on Steam). Should I play Revelations or jump straight into ACIV?

I'm a huge AC fan and I just couldn't finish revelations. I say youtube the ending it's pretty important if your worried about story. Then play or youtube AC3. I finished AC3 and thought it was worth the time. Then jump into ACIV.

I'm a huge AC fan and I just couldn't finish revelations. I say youtube the ending it's pretty important if your worried about story. Then play or youtube AC3. I finished AC3 and thought it was worth the time. Then jump into ACIV.

Already played AC3 - didn't like it. I was hoping I would like Revelations a lot more because of the big city to traverse, but if it's that bad I'd just skip it and play AC4.

Megasoum

Banned
All right so I did the whole 10$ upgrade thing from PS3 to PS4.

Is there an easy way to see if all the bonuses were brought over to the PS4?

-The Playstation exclusive stuff is the Aveline Mission I see on the main menu I assume? Btw when should I do those? Are they related to the main AC4 story at all?
-The "Limited Edition" (Hidden mystery pack and Captain Kenway's legacy pack) bonus things, how do I know if I have them on PS4?

Raven77

Watched a friend play through the first couple hours on the "User1" account on my PS4. Jeebus, what a gorgeous looking game. It truly looks next-gen and the pacing is blazing fast. No more 8 bullshit hours of bland wandering (ACIII...ahem). Can't wait to dig into it myself.

This comment scares the crap out of me. The one thing that has bothered me since day 1 with this game is how quickly you move around the world and from one activity to another.

I don't have ADD, sometimes I like to take my time. Does the game force you to advance so quickly???

This comment scares the crap out of me. The one thing that has bothered me since day 1 with this game is how quickly you move around the world and from one activity to another.

I don't have ADD, sometimes I like to take my time. Does the game force you to advance so quickly???

the comment is directed at the lack of an over-extended 'introduction' section, in favor of simply filling out background info as you progress. gameplay-wise, you move around the world as quickly or slowly as you please. i've spent days ignoring the storyline, & doing nothing but exploring, battling, treasure-hunting, & harpooning, & it's been a blast - afa open-world games go, this game hits the same spot for me that rdr did. lots of wide-open space to do whatever you're in the mood for...

Raven77

the comment is directed at the lack of an over-extended 'introduction' section, in favor of simply filling out background info as you progress. gameplay-wise, you move around the world as quickly or slowly as you please. i've spent days ignoring the storyline, & doing nothing but exploring, battling, treasure-hunting, & harpooning, & it's been a blast - afa open-world games go, this game hits the same spot for me that rdr did. lots of wide-open space to do whatever you're in the mood for...

Wow...sounds amazing! Thanks for restoring my hope.

th4tguy

Any word on when the 1080p patch for PS4 is coming?

This is what I'm waiting to find out. I got all of my games digitally and I have quite a bit of them so I will wait for the patch to play this game. I loaded it up and compared to cod and KZ, I really could tell the difference.

Simo

Wow...sounds amazing! Thanks for restoring my hope.

I'll second his comment as I'm doing the same: Ignoring the story mission, well slowly advancing towards it, and just sailing around exploring undiscovered locations, raiding warehouses, capturing forts and ships and doing the odd Assassin contract here and there.

Problem is that getting caught up doing that stuff means I haven't progressed the story in 3 days or so. That and once you unlock the Kenway's Fleet metagame it's another time sinkhole. lol

All that said, I would advise though actively doing the story missions up to at least Sequence 3, where I'm at, due to the abilities and ship unlocks.

After who the hell knows how many entries in the series, would it kill them to add a fucking crouch button? And don't remind me about that contextual crouch move bullshit. I want a dedicated button.

I just really want a crouch button.

All that said, I would advise though actively doing the story missions up to at least Sequence 3, where I'm at, due to the abilities and ship unlocks.

good point. you needn't stick to the story exclusively, but, yeah, you'd be best holding off till sequence 3 before going completely nuts :) ...

Dead

well not really...yet
Only played the first sequence and first memory of sequence 2, but man, this shit looks and runs so much better than PS3. Glad I made the switch. So much crisper, smoother framerate, and the moving foliage as you crouch through it looks really nice :p

So, for someone who hated AC3 and thought Connor was unbearable, how is this game and its protagonist?

Also, how does it look on the PS4? Want my first game to show off the system.

So, for someone who hated AC3 and thought Connor was unbearable, how is this game and its protagonist?

Edward doesn't have much of a character. If you hated Connor then I guess a protagonist without any compelling characteristics might be an improvement.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

No, it's up to you. The "tutorial" lasts about 5 minutes, but everything else is on you. When I got the prompt the leave the tutorial island, I spent a good 20 minutes collecting everything on it and moving on to the first city hub. And after getting there, I repeated the process.

ACIII was one of the biggest disappointments in my gaming life and Connor was a lifeless husk. ACIV, is everything you wanted from it. Edward is a pirate, through and through. He's a boozing seaman, who doesn't give a fuck. So he's awesome. And the game looks insanely good. You will feel the next-gen bump. Remember the crazy gifs with the rain and the foliage? It's really in there.

Formosa

1) When I complete a Assassin Quest, does the skull icon still show up on the world map?

2) Where can I find the best guide for all the quest... etc. completion?

i'm sure this has all been addressed i'm just at work so can't really search around, but i had two quick questions.

1: So assassins creed 4 on ps4 doesn't sink up to the ac initiates yet, can i still get the rewards from initiates into ac 4 ps4?

2: Is it correct that the companion app is only available for samsung tablets and ipads? i'm using a galaxy s3 and was surprised to find it not compatible.

Seems silly to limit the second screen functionality and the ac initiates stuff to certain platforms, i suppose they just couldn't get everything ready in time. Hopefully more support is coming.

Thanks for any info, i feel lazy just asking but today is a hectic day and appreciate any info !

Megasoum

Banned
All right so I did the whole 10$ upgrade thing from PS3 to PS4.

Is there an easy way to see if all the bonuses were brought over to the PS4?

-The Playstation exclusive stuff is the Aveline Mission I see on the main menu I assume? Btw when should I do those? Are they related to the main AC4 story at all?
-The "Limited Edition" (Hidden mystery pack and Captain Kenway's legacy pack) bonus things, how do I know if I have them on PS4?

Anybody know about those?

Peff

1) When I complete a Assassin Quest, does the skull icon still show up on the world map?

2) Where can I find the best guide for all the quest... etc. completion?

No, unless that island has another mission. Dunno, but as far as I know everything shows up on the map/pause menu, so it's not hard to keep track of it.

Anybody know about those?

Yes. Whenever, it's completely separate from the main game as well as unrelated to it. I don't have any pre-order stuff but they seem to include costumes, so just go into the Edward part of the pause menu and see if they're there, which would mean the rest of stuff is as well.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
When is the 1080p patch? I figure I waited this long from 360 to ps4 might as well wait for the extra resolution.

This. I've got other stuff to play so I'd rather hold out for 1080p. Gaf knows everything and everybody, tweet someone on the project, someone, anyone!

Ashtar

Anyone know how to enable 3D on the PS4 version? on previous AC games it was always in the video options but this has no such options readily available....

Anyone know how to enable 3D on the PS4 version? on previous AC games it was always in the video options but this has no such options readily available....

I'm pretty sure there is no 3D option for this or any other ps4 game right now. They seemed to have either dropped the option or everyone was in such a rush at launch that they did not dedicate any resources to 3D.

Maybe in the second wave of titles, but for now there are zero 3D launch titles for the PS4.

Btw, I am also awaiting the 1080p patch. I played single player cod last night for about an hour in 720p. PSN finally got sorted out and when I went to play 1080p, it did not recognize my save. I'm fine with that, but the difference between the 2 resolutions is staggering. I want AC4's world to look as good as possible so I'll wait.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Has anyone had an issue downloading the pre-order add ons from the PSN store? I was able to redeem the codes, but when I try to download them the Store crashes back to XMB.

Tobor

8 hours in, and I can already tell that barring a major change in the late game, this is going to be my favorite AC game.

This series and pirates go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Anyone experiencing an issue where things like pistol shots and explosions sound loud but voices sound quiet?

I can't seem to be able to fix it. Other than that the game is enjoyable. Only wish they didn't remove the Assassin Recruits.

Yes. The game does actually have a lot of sound errors. In the beginning of the game when you get to the first city and the title appears, i had no music or ambient noise. Just the two characters talking.

Other than the I think the game is pretty damn fun. Loos and runs great too I am happily surprised.

Raven77

I'll second his comment as I'm doing the same: Ignoring the story mission, well slowly advancing towards it, and just sailing around exploring undiscovered locations, raiding warehouses, capturing forts and ships and doing the odd Assassin contract here and there.

Problem is that getting caught up doing that stuff means I haven't progressed the story in 3 days or so. That and once you unlock the Kenway's Fleet metagame it's another time sinkhole. lol

Ahh, thanks for the advice. Open world games are my favorite style and I like to know just about how far to advance the story to get enough unlocked to go my own way.

GTA V is an astonishing game BUT I do hate the fact that I've had to put nearly 25 hours into the story mode to unlock the ability to do everything (like jet ski races, parachute, etc.) Don't get me wrong, great story and loving it. I just wanted to explore Los Santos on my own for 5-10 (or 50) hours on my own without things getting spoiled by missions sending me everywhere.

Top Bottom