• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Jacan

Neo Member
Getting terrible performance at the moment, around 25fps on high/no AA. The problem is, if I drop everything to the lowest possible setting it only increases about 2 fps. What's going on here?

Badly portet game as always what did you expect?

But i run it 60fps everything maxed out smooth after the first tutorial island and when you come to havana.

good download speeds, looks like they finally got some of the basics covered

BmzkR7r.png

Damn, I'm getting 2 megs/sec max with Capsule. Shitty program.

Jacan

Neo Member
PC dudes...is this series worth getting into? I bought AC1 during the last Steam sale and man, what a piece of shit game that is. I do hear that the series has greatly improved since then, but has it really improved that much?

If you didn´t like AC 1 then you might actually like this one, because it has nothing to do with Assassin Creed.

It feels more like a pirate version of Farcry then anything else.

Yay, just got my Uplay key. Didn't know it was released today. Can't believe Ubisoft actually honored that purchase. Probably need a new computer for Watch Dogs though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just caved to the season pass via amazon for the free $5. PS4 version. Also they released a new PS4 patch, I think this one fixes the 1080p issue? It doesn't specifically say that in the patch notes but it does mention graphical issues.

Looking forward to some PS4/PC comparisons

Looking forward to jumping into this game.

I actually read through that. I love how nvidia does those. The comparisons are helpful.

I don't recall the graphics options in AC3, but was SGSSAA possible via the inspector?

I'd also love to know what AA was used in this shot in conjuction with 4K (it's from the tweak guide). The textures don't appear to have suffered from any blurring and yet the AA is perfect.

That's it for me until a patch that improves optimization; it's a damn slideshow on the lowest settings. No idea what I'm doing wrong here, but my god. Even AC3 on high runs at a solid 40 on my laptop.

With the 1080p patch out I'm considering this to be my second pickup alongside Killzone when I finally get my hands on a PS4. Few questions tho:

1.Can I jump in safe even if this is my first AC game. I kinda know some things about the plot like
Some dudes from the present time (future?) mindjack themselves or some shit to the past and fight templars. Pope was the big baddie in AC2, the guy from the present time is dead nowdays I guess?
Anyhoo I do ''care'' about the plot if I play it but the biggest deal would be if it is overly convoluted if I just jump in now. Not feeling like playing all the previous ones tbh.

2.I trust this game is not total shit like AC3 seems to be from the huge backlash. I'm not expecting GOTY material but just some fun launch game title. Killzone is enough to fill the shooter need and I can't stand racing or sports so I guess that pretty much eliminates all but AC4, Knack and Lego :p

This might work, but I don't know (never tried). But you could just start the uplay download to a separate folder and compare if they they are the same.

Looks like Capsule is installing it to the Ubisoft folder, so who knows. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Fuck this, GMG should've sent my key earlier. I'll just redownload it, only takes twenty minutes this time. Tossing this Capsule crap in the trash.

FYI, be wary of Assassin's Contracts missions bugging out on you. There's a 33 page thread on Ubisofts forum and the PS4 bugs are starting to crop up so it isn't just to a certain platform and most likely will affect the PC version too. They are supposedly working on a fix, not sure what it would be as it's different missions for different people, not just one, and the actual 'bug' varies (the Kill marker not disappearing, not being able to accept the contract - not showing, person 'flee'd' and never came back, etc ... ).

I saw a couple posts in this thread also having some issues.

Chorazin

1.Can I jump in safe even if this is my first AC game. I kinda know some things about the plot like
Some dudes from the present time (future?) mindjack themselves or some shit to the past and fight templars. Pope was the big baddie in AC2, the guy from the present time is dead nowdays I guess?
Anyhoo I do ''care'' about the plot if I play it but the biggest deal would be if it is overly convoluted if I just jump in now. Not feeling like playing all the previous ones tbh.

2.I trust this game is not total shit like AC3 seems to be from the huge backlash. I'm not expecting GOTY material but just some fun launch game title. Killzone is enough to fill the shooter need and I can't stand racing or sports so I guess that pretty much eliminates all but AC4, Knack and Lego :p

1. Yeah, this is the most unrelated game to the main story they've released. You won't full appreciate some of the stuff you discover in the "real" world but that stuff is entirely optional so you'll be fine.

2. I hated AC3 and love AC4. It's a great game not just a "launch game."

Branson

So if my specs are: 2500k stock and a gtx580 3gb and 8 gigs of ram on my PC and I also have a ps4 which version should I pick up? I'd be playing at 1080p.

So if my specs are: 2500k stock and a gtx580 3gb and 8 gigs of ram on my PC and I also have a ps4 which version should I pick up? I'd be playing at 1080p.

probably similar framerates, but who knows after some drivers and updates.

probably still go pc though because you can find nvidia promo codes on ebay for pretty damn cheap vs $60 on ps4.

And now we have a washed up schmuck like Edward who has spent his life on sea and who has elite climbing/fighting skills for no reason whatsoever, who puts on a hood and wears a blade is now an Assassin. Not because he believes in the cause, but because he wants money and power [which is the exact opposite of what Assassins represent] and that sucks.

This is probably what you get when a significant number of people moaned about conner, who was flawed, made mistakes and wasn't an invincible superhero despite training for most of his adult life.

kudoboi

people who can run crysis 3 on ultra have trouble maintaining 30FPS on this game based on the complains at steam forums.

first X rebirth, then NFS rivals and now this.

Bittercup

The Nvidia key is for the Digital Deluxe Edition and does include the Aveline-DLC and the other ones.
I didn't expect that. The Ubi store called it the special edition with only few extras but didn't mention Aveline.

jred2k

Why does Ubisoft even bother with Uplay? Theres absolutely no reason you should have a better experience with first party games by ordering through a competitor. I'm glad I got this cheap because of those nVidia codes.

Barzul

I'm getting really shitty framerate playing with a GTX 760 and FX 4100 (dipping in the low 20's), but I'm upgrading tomorrow to the gtx 770 with Intel i5 4750. Won't touch this till then, game is way more demanding than I expected.

Setsuna

Single player 16:9 all game even in developer splash intros

Multiplayer intro is 16:10 even passed the guy introducing the game to you then goes entirely 16:9

WHY!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So is there a way to turn off this huge ass objective text in my face all the time? It's not under HUD settings apparently.

Yeah, performance isn't great, but it runs fine. I think I'm averaging 30 fps, but I don't know for sure.

Wish my 1080p tv was at home, though, I'm stuck playing on an old HD ready TV for now.

The Nvidia key is for the Digital Deluxe Edition and does include the Aveline-DLC and the other ones.
I didn't expect that. The Ubi store called it the special edition with only few extras but didn't mention Aveline.

wait aveline is all systems? thought that was the sony exclusive dlc... or is that something else?

Top Bottom