• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Bebpo

Banned
PS4 version runs at 30fps, but whenever you can view the sea it's definitely dropping below that because you get a heavy motion blur that's totally hiding a 20-25fps framerate.

What's weird is you can be in a bustling city like Havana and have a totally smooth 30fps but you can be at sea and have NOTHING in your view besides endless ocean and some tiny islands of nothing and the game is motion blurring like crazy. It feels like the engine is rendering stuff so far in the distance that you can't even see it and destroying the fps or something. It's really, really weird.

About 20% in now and like the game a lot. The only thing I'm not digging (besides some of the story mission sub-objectives; they almost nail it with the assassination contracts where the sub-objectives give you extra money but don't play into the completion percentage. Now they just need to do that for the main mission too and AC5 will have dealt with the sub-objectives introduced in Brotherhood perfectly) is that when you're on your ship and trying to do something like chase a guy who runs on land but because nearby ships started attacking you, you can't disengage from the wheel >_< Also Nassau is a pretty boring city kind of like AC3 cities. Really loved Havana though, hope Kingston is more like that.

Lingitiz

Did some digging. The PC version everyone seems to be playing is a cracked russian version with english content stuffed in there.

My steam version isn't unlocking for a few hours, so you guys must be playing the pirated version.

Hopefully the final version is bit smoother on the FPS side. AC3 was a very bad port, but it still looked and ran okay enough that I'd still take that over the console versions.

Oh snap. In any case, good to hear about performance from people having messed with it. My paltry 670 probably can't handle this at reasonable framerates. PS4 it is (erh, will be, 1 and a 1/2 weeks from now). What does it run at on PS4? 30ish?
670 is a fantastic card and shouldn't have a ton of issues. The problem would be the CPU since in the past AC3 was really CPU limited. PC version is going around for ~$20-$30 so there's really not a huge risk.

MaLDo

Oh snap. In any case, good to hear about performance from people having messed with it. My paltry 670 probably can't handle this at reasonable framerates. PS4 it is (erh, will be, 1 and a 1/2 weeks from now). What does it run at on PS4? 30ish?

Your 670 will run the game without problems. Those performance reviews from a pirated version don't have the day 1 patch that fix de framerate. It's perfect they are playing in poor conditions by not paying for the game.

Frillen

PS4 version runs at 30fps, but whenever you can view the sea it's definitely dropping below that because you get a heavy motion blur that's totally hiding a 20-25fps framerate.

What's weird is you can be in a bustling city like Havana and have a totally smooth 30fps but you can be at sea and have NOTHING in your view besides endless ocean and some tiny islands of nothing and the game is motion blurring like crazy. It feels like the engine is rendering stuff so far in the distance that you can't even see it and destroying the fps or something. It's really, really weird.

About 20% in now and like the game a lot. The only thing I'm not digging (besides some of the story mission sub-objectives; they almost nail it with the assassination contracts where the sub-objectives give you extra money but don't play into the completion percentage. Now they just need to do that for the main mission too and AC5 will have dealt with the sub-objectives introduced in Brotherhood perfectly) is that when you're on your ship and trying to do something like chase a guy who runs on land but because nearby ships started attacking you, you can't disengage from the wheel >_< Also Nassau is a pretty boring city kind of like AC3 cities. Really loved Havana though, hope Kingston is more like that.

Kingston is like a cross between Havana and Nassau.

Hmmm, good question. The game does run through enough to give you an idea of what's going on at least for this game. As for how the game fits in the bigger picture, you may want to read a general synopsis of the Assassin's Creed storyline. I'm still a bit in the dark as to the whole templars/assassins thing going on, although I have a general idea.

Thanks for the impressions!

The game sounds and looks awesome. I feel like it should be an automatic purchase with my PS4 Killzone bundle next month (for Taiwan), based on the open-world exploration I've seen.

I recommend set shadows to "very high" instead soft shadows. That was a very anticipated feature for me, but it eats A LOT of GPU power and the effect is very subtle.

I play with a AMD 7950, 1920x1200, SMAA (very good AA method IMO) and everything maxed except soft shadows. Around 50fps all the time.

MC_Hify

So is this not being able to connect to uplay on AC4 a known bug or something? I read a thread on their forums about it but it seemed to be fixed as far as I saw. Maybe it's because I'm on PS4?

What better place to pose the question:

Having never played a game in the franchise before; would this be as good a place as any to start?

Erm, yeah. In many ways it seems like a reboot, without completely alienating those familiar with the franchise. Plus it has actually gone back in time. I think the series will be less restricted in when and where it's set in history because of this.

Assassin's Creed 3 kind of failed in trying to continue things.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Your 670 will run the game without problems. Those performance reviews from a pirated version don't have the day 1 patch that fix de framerate. It's perfect they are playing in poor conditions by not paying for the game.

What day 1 patch? I've got a review version of the game since last week, and while I've had 2 patches since then (saturday and yesterday), performance has stayed the same.

Fistwell

670 is a fantastic card and shouldn't have a ton of issues. The problem would be the CPU since in the past AC3 was really CPU limited. PC version is going around for ~$20-$30 so there's really not a huge risk.

Thanks for the perspective. Now I dont know what to do. This will require me to run Uplay wont it? *shudders*

Jtrizzy

I bet Nvidia has new drivers coming tomorrow or soon for this game. I'd be surprised if a game they helped with is this bad. At least I'm hoping so. That would surprise me if the PS4 version can beat my i7/580.

I read on the ubi forums that it was 1pm est.

Yes, that's what Amazon says as well. Kinda disappointing since it originally said midnight. I was going to download and install it in the AM so I can play it after work. Now I have to wait until then to even start the download.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cross-post:

Black Flag's pre-load has been fixed:

bfplm9qs7.jpg

I have the DDE as well as the Season Pass so the download may be a little smaller for those without either (the Gold Edition is practically the DDE with the Season Pass).

SJRB

Gold Member
AGIT&#937;;90434027 said:
Nope, I was highly upset that I went out of my way to get them only to end up with an Abstergo Achievement.

Are you fucking serious?? Wow, I'm going to stop collecting those fragments immediately.

void666

Banned
We fools who got the game through uplay will have to wait till release to start the download.
I'm never buying anything from uplay ever again.

JaseC

We fools who got the game through uplay will have to wait till release to start the download.
I'm never buying anything from uplay ever again.

Reminds me of this:

1FsXPE1.png

It's amusing that Steam + Uplay integration offers a smoother experience than just using Uplay itself.

Rootbeer

Banned
I bet Nvidia has new drivers coming tomorrow or soon for this game. I'd be surprised if a game they helped with is this bad. At least I'm hoping so. That would surprise me if the PS4 version can beat my i7/580.

Looking forward to the comparisons, as someone who opted for the PS4 version. I am sure PC will have an IQ advantage, the question is to what degree and how noticeable it is. Only fair to compare after the PS4 gets the 1080p patch though :)

JaseC

Steam or Uplay?

OI bought it via Steam this morning only to find out that there is no preloading.

The pre-load went live on Steam a few days ago... but the download size was just 260MB or so. It was recently fixed, though, as I noted just a few posts above.

I am not a fan of the launcher within launcher of buying Uplay games on steam. Also it seems like Ubisoft might have moved in the positive direction with AssCreed 4. It doesn't download an installer anymore I think and just the game files. Hell it might even patch properly too.

Edit: Hell I don't even need to download separate installers for DLC or enter the keys for them.

Edit: Had to turn down Environmental Quality to "High" and turn off Soft Shadows. Otherwise everything is maxed running at 60 fps with SMAA. So far this is better than 3 in every imaginable way.

what is your rconfig ?

Core i5 750 @ 4.0 GHz
GTX 670 SLI

The game seems to run better than 3 but that might be my imagination. All the additional graphical effects are definitely more demanding than 3 though so I don't think I can run it at anything higher than 1080p with most of them turned on. Still looks much better than 3, but this is only the start of the game and I don't know if performance will dip anymore later on.

dex3108

I am not a fan of the launcher within launcher of buying Uplay games on steam. Also it seems like Ubisoft might have moved in the positive direction with AssCreed 4. It doesn't download an installer anymore I think and just the game files. Hell it might even patch properly too.

Edit: Hell I don't even need to download separate installers for DLC or enter the keys for them.

Edit: Had to turn down Environmental Quality to "High" and turn off Soft Shadows. Otherwise everything is maxed running at 60 fps with SMAA. So far this is better than 3 in every imaginable way.

Yes now every new Ubisoft game will use Steam method of download. Every time game is downloaded it is downloaded with all patches.

Also if you start game from Steam Big Picture with gamepad, now you can use gamepad in Uplay to start and close game without M&K.

JaseC

It's too late to matter, but for what it's worth, Ubi pushed through an update earlier in the year that skips the unnecessary step of having to load a Uplay game from within Uplay after launching it from Steam. The only problem is that Ubi didn't also include the option of having Uplay automatically close after quitting the game, so you still need to manually exit, but you no longer need to launch a game twice -- after launching a Uplay game from Steam, the client pops up and automatically loads the game in question.

MaLDo

Looking forward to the comparisons, as someone who opted for the PS4 version. I am sure PC will have an IQ advantage, the question is to what degree and how noticeable it is. Only fair to compare after the PS4 gets the 1080p patch though :)

What about doubled framerate.

hlhbk

Can you turn off the additional effects (such as the water on deck when a rouge wave hits your boat) that were not present in the current gen versions? I would imagine that would help a lot for performance?

so pc folks, performance issues aside... how does this look compare to ac3 in terms of texture lighting etc?

Did this being on next gen consoles nag it any new goodies in terms of visuals?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
so pc folks, performance issues aside... how does this look compare to ac3 in terms of texture lighting etc?

Did this being on next gen consoles nag it any new goodies in terms of visuals?

It's best looking game in my library at the moment. I run everything maxed out and it's absolutely gorgeous.

It's too late to matter, but for what it's worth, Ubi pushed through an update earlier in the year that skips the unnecessary step of having to load a Uplay game from within Uplay after launching it from Steam. The only problem is that Ubi didn't also include the option of having Uplay automatically close after quitting the game, so you still need to manually exit, but you no longer need to launch a game twice -- after launching a Uplay game from Steam, the client pops up and automatically loads the game in question.

Well in my case Ubisofts belligerent incompetence worked in their favors. I ended up using uplay for their games. Unfortunately for them just like EA there is still no reason to use their store front. I am still not sure why they try so hard, even with the greenlight stumble Steam is successful because of the games from all the publishers not because of Valve's anemic output.

JaseC

Well in my case Ubisofts belligerent incompetence worked in their favors. I ended up using uplay for their games. Unfortunately for them just like EA there is still no reason to use their store front. I am still not sure why they try so hard, even with the greenlight stumble Steam is successful because of the games from all the publishers not because of Valve's anemic output.

I don't mind using other services if need be, but I'd have no need for Uplay outside of Steam games if Ubi would finally send Valve the updated build of Anno 1404 (I can't believe it was pulled literally because of lazy devs) and release Tintin on Steam (King Kong, too, but it isn't a Uplay title; in fact, it's DRM-free). The same is true of Origin and The Saboteur (which was also going to be released on Steam at some point). Although my interest in Ubi and EA's non-Steam offerings is virtually non-existent, I'd pick them up if they were available on Steam simply because I'm so obsessed with my game count. ;)

Top Bottom