• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Roto13

Thanks, I did not know that.
Although I think its blatantly obvious in game that
Kidd is either flamboyantly gay or a girl.

It's super obvious she's a woman if you look at her hips when she walks or runs. It's like that moment with Meryl in MGS1.

Still waiting on Gamefly to release the keys. Originally said they would unlock at 10am GMT, but now shows 10am (no specific timezone) in the client, and nothing under activation keys on the order page.

I'm going to pick this up on the PS3, I think. Even though I have a few AC games on Steam, I tend to play them more often on consoles. Will put together a living room PC / Steam Machine-type thing in a few years that'll supersede my consoles, but for now it's easier to just get it on the PS3.

Can I flog my PS4 upgrade code, as I have no intention of buying a PS4? I heard that you need to put in a PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate the upgrade, but I don't know how that works. Does it have to be the same disc, or will any copy of the game do? Do you need the disc in all the time after that, or is it a one-time thing?

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm going to pick this up on the PS3, I think. Even though I have a few AC games on Steam, I tend to play them more often on consoles. Will put together a living room PC / Steam Machine-type thing in a few years that'll supersede my consoles, but for now it's easier to just get it on the PS3.

Can I flog my PS4 upgrade code, as I have no intention of buying a PS4? I heard that you need to put in a PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate the upgrade, but I don't know how that works. Does it have to be the same disc, or will any copy of the game do? Do you need the disc in all the time after that, or is it a one-time thing?

You need the PS3 disc to play the PS4 version - it's a failsafe method to prevent people from selling the digital download code.

If you're playing on PC in a couple of hours when the game unlocks, make sure you have our new drivers: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-82-whql-drivers-released

And if you're interested in the PC version in general, my new piece covers the PC enhancements: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide Also includes a nice behind the scenes video filmed at Ubisoft Montreal :)

nice!

Klocker

Ps4/next gen version owners......

Is this game a visual next gen showcase or just so so?

Debating between it or 2k14 as one of a couple launch titles

Vico

So, guys, I usually wait june to start playing the last Assassin's Creed (I've been doing this since AC2, it feels like a good time for me to play such a game), but I'm interested in starting it much sooner, like next month.

However, I won't buy a next-gen console until june 2014, so I was wondering what I would loose by not playing it on next-gen hadrware. Is there any comparative video between the PS3 and PS4 versions? (I'll play it on 360 but I guess the differences will be pretty similar).

No. That does not mean it looks bad. It is an upgrade in texture resolution, shaders and effects, draw distance and a solid 30 fps.

iNvid02

If you're playing on PC in a couple of hours when the game unlocks, make sure you have our new drivers: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-82-whql-drivers-released

And if you're interested in the PC version in general, my new piece covers the PC enhancements: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide Also includes a nice behind the scenes video filmed at Ubisoft Montreal :)

nice article andy, really does look stunning. will find out how it performs in a few hours

edit:

t1384884000z1.png

Pagusas

Elden Member
does the gold edition on uplay just automatically have the season pass and dlc added? As I still see them available to "buy" under DLC :-/

No. That does not mean it looks bad. It is an upgrade in texture resolution, shaders and effects, draw distance and a solid 30 fps.

I don't know, I feel it looks pretty good. If all you've ever played is the console versions of AC games (especially the last couple), then just having that solid framerate is enough of an upgrade.

I'm playing on PS4 and the game is awesome. I haven't had this much fun in an AC game since Brotherhood, and right now I think I'm having more fun than Brotherhood. There is just so much to do, and I feel like I want to do all of it. The world feels huge.

Anyone had a bug with Assassination side-missions failing to pop up in Havana or elsewhere? I completed 4/6 and did every other available activity in the city but mission 5/6 never popped up.

I think I bugged it because the mission was 2-part - reach the designated area, and assassinate the target. But I assassinated him without ever stepping foot into the zone (via a berserk dart). And now it seems to be stuck :/

A couple of us have. It absolutely sucks. I'm stuck on 5/6 for Havana. I'm 27% in and was thinking of restarting but with other people reporting I'd assume it would probably just happen again or at a different spot (since I see you have it bugged at 4/6).

Either way, pretty lame. I want to do all the things in this game. It's absolutely drawing me in and even though the story is meh, the GAME itself is amazing to play. Everything just feels right. I still randomly jump off in the wrong direction or get overpowered by a few guards and die, but it always feels like it was MY fault and not the games fault.

I LOVE cruising my ship around. I've only used fast travel once and it felt wrong. I do feel awful squishy though, like sometimes it just takes too much to kill one guard and then others I'm slashing through the same type in seconds.

I miss the game, my PS4 misses me now. I got it early Friday (took 4 day weekend) and now I'm having booty withdrawals.

What the, what gives. Loaded it up on PS4 only to be signed out of Uplay, and when I try and sign back in, it tells me my email/pass combo doesn't work, even though it works on the uplay website.

. . .this game doesn't have 16:10 full screen support
Better than cropping the image.

Now on a more important note, it seems like setting the AA method to anything other than Off or SMAA causes a significant amount of blurring. At least that's what I am seeing with the screenshots bellow.

SMAA

ac4bfsp2013-11-1911-2n6e78.png

MSAAx4

ac4bfsp2013-11-1911-2e0c66.png

Bittercup

Is there any way to unlock the game earlier if you're from Europe? The EU release is on Friday.
I got the game with a Nvidia key but it doesn't appear on Uplay.
Yay, I got an email with the key from Ubi and now I have the game on Uplay :)

AndyBNV

Nvidia

Now on a more important note, it seems like setting the AA method to anything other than Off or SMAA causes a significant amount of blurring. At least that's what I am seeing with the screenshots bellow.

SMAA

MSAAx4

I explain why in http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide In short, FXAA is applied to anti-alias the foliage. IMO, the SMAA transparency anti-aliasing is far worse than FXAA's in this particular case.

I explain why in http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-graphics-and-performance-guide In short, FXAA is applied to anti-alias the foliage. IMO, the SMAA transparency anti-aliasing is far worse than FXAA's in this particular case.

Fair enough but the overall image still ends up being a lot more blurry in comparison. Which a lot of people on Neogaf seem to complain about, at least the ones that care about AA methods. The difference in the comparison images in that link doesn't appear to be as drastic as the one I am seeing either.

AndyBNV

Nvidia

SMAA

MSAAx4

BigDug13

What about doubled framerate.

Not sure on that one for me. I have gaming laptop with an i7, 16GB RAM, 7970M GPU with 2GB VRAM, and I can't even run a game like Saints Row IV in 1080p at greater than 30fps on low settings. Not consistently enough for me to unlock the framerate anyway. Just Cause I'm able to get to consistent 45fps at low settings in 1080p and use v-sync for tearing.

A $1600 laptop from last year can't run current open world games at 1080p/60fps. It's a shame really. When I bought it, I expected that 7970m GPU to shine a lot brighter than it has. But it's not even matching up with PS4 right now if I can't even play the same games at the same resolution at the same graphics setting at the same framerates.

Open World games are way more demanding than others, so I think Ubisoft was right in saying to expect 30fps to be the sweet spot this gen for that style of game on PS4. My $1600 laptop can't do 60 either in open world games when things get more hectic.

Getting terrible performance at the moment, around 25fps on high/no AA. The problem is, if I drop everything to the lowest possible setting it only increases about 2 fps. What's going on here?

Lingitiz

Not sure on that one for me. I have gaming laptop with an i7, 16GB RAM, 7970M GPU with 2GB VRAM, and I can't even run a game like Saints Row IV in 1080p at greater than 30fps on low settings. Not consistently enough for me to unlock the framerate anyway. Just Cause I'm able to get to consistent 45fps at low settings in 1080p and use v-sync for tearing.

A $1600 laptop from last year can't run current open world games at 1080p/60fps. It's a shame really. When I bought it, I expected that 7970m GPU to shine a lot brighter than it has. But it's not even matching up with PS4 right now if I can't even play the same games at the same resolution at the same graphics setting at the same framerates.

Open World games are way more demanding than others, so I think Ubisoft was right in saying to expect 30fps to be the sweet spot this gen for that style of game on PS4. My $1600 laptop can't do 60 either in open world games when things get more hectic.

Must be your laptop. My i5 4670k @ 4.2 and 670 ran Saints Row 4 at 60+ maxed out without a sweat.

I think I'm gonna turn off the HUD for this one, a good idea?

I really dig open world games where you have to find stuff yourself, even if it does take more time.

I absolutely love this game on PS4. Last AC game I played was part 2.

It has a smooth frame rate and so far glitch free. Controls are perfect. Pretty much what I always hoped AC would become. Highly recommended.

Sothpaw

PC dudes...is this series worth getting into? I bought AC1 during the last Steam sale and man, what a piece of shit game that is. I do hear that the series has greatly improved since then, but has it really improved that much?

My PC would be able to max AC4 np so performance isn't an issue.

Top Bottom