• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Kazerei

Banned
So when do you get to do pirate stuff? I'm in Havanna and bored out of my mind because right now it's just typical AC. A map full of checklist things to do that give no real meaningful reward. I swear Ubi makes the worst open worlds.

AC games usually take a long time to open up, but ACIV is actually not bad in this regard. You'll get your ship at the end of sequence 2. Then there's a few tutorial missions in sequence 3 and you're good to go.

I've only officially done 1 story mission but it was so long and boring that I had to give it 1 star. I'm getting the feeling that this will be a common theme in this game.

Dude stop posting on GAF and play the damn game :p

Mifune

Mehmber
Wow, the last mission of sequence 2 is glorious, rousing, thrilling. Pretty much everything I want from this series.

Unfortunately it seems like the developers aren't letting people share it. The share button saved the mission before the last one.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So when do you get to do pirate stuff? I'm in Havanna and bored out of my mind because right now it's just typical AC. A map full of checklist things to do that give no real meaningful reward. I swear Ubi makes the worst open worlds.

Hate to agree but so far the only reason Havanna seems so spread out is to put space between collectibles--absolutely nothing else. What a shame. Back to missions then, sick of grabbing collectibles.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Does anyone want to trade with me: my Killzone: Shadow Fall for their PS4 AC: Black Flag?

Edit: Preferably in Central Florida area.

I can't help feel how much more interesting this game would be if there were just less ships in the ocean - to create more hunter/prey scenarios, or just a general feeling of vastness. I don't need Silent Hunter levels of realism, but at times I feel like I'm doing a slalom course with the Spanish armada.

Agreed about the terrible AC bits, but Ubi open worlds are the best. I love random crap strewn about a massive, beautiful world for no reason. Just like FC3 and Blood Dragon, I'll probably play ACIV at least three times.

If I can ever get it running about 25fps, that is.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Can someone please tell me either:

A) How to disable Uplay on the PS4 version

or

B) How to change my login credentials for Uplay.

I haven't been able to login to Uplay ever and it's bugging the fuck outta me getting messages all the time about it while in game.

I hate to repost this (last time), but Ubisoft support has been no help. Anyone have a clue? I've deleted my install file, deleted my local save, redownloaded it off the Plus cloud, and reinstalled the game, and no dice.

megalowho

I love the idea of rating missions, especially since it works within the framework of the larger story. It's like the opposite of AC3 making you feel shitty for failing optional objectives, making you feel like you have a say on how they did instead. Very cool.

Got my PS4 and AC4. Holy shit, even though the graphics are clearly cross-gen, the image quality already makes me satisfied with my purchase.

Animation seems wonkier than previous games, but otherwise I'm having a good time.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
The first ship sailing section in the storm on PS4..... Wow... Those stormy wave physics.

Just wait. It gets even better.

I've sailed in fair weather and came across a Spanish ship that immediately opened fire. Thanks to an earlier fight, i only had 1 healthbar left so I got out of there. The enemy gave chase so I headed for a storm I spotted on the horizon.
The transition from clear skies to heavy storm is something to behold.

Are we supposed to be able to see these notes in the database section of the pause menu? This is my first real foray into Assassin's Creed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm coming across as ignorant.

zLsfSlL.jpg

Almost all of the database entries are littered with these random notes. Are they part of the game? Some are signed off OG, others ML and a few others. What is this supposed to be?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Are we supposed to be able to see these notes in the database section of the pause menu? This is my first real foray into Assassin's Creed, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm coming across as ignorant.

Almost all of the database entries are littered with these random notes. Are they part of the game? Some are signed off OG, others ML and a few others. What is this supposed to be?

Abstergo Entertainment employees. ML is the woman who shows you around, Melanie Lemay. OG is Olivier Garneau.

BigDug13

Yeah it has to do with the Animus as you're attempting to extract the memories necessary for their programs. At least that's what I suspect after getting a little further in the game. I'll be honest, when I first saw those notes I thought Ubisoft had messed up, but it's in-game as far as its placement as far as I can tell.

Lingitiz

Played up till Nassau. The PC port is pretty bad but it's serviceable I guess and looks okay.

Luckily the game itself seems pretty awesome. Getting the Jackdaw and the mission before it were great. It feels a lot like AC:B in that there's not a ton of setup and things are moving pretty quickly.

kazebyaka

Banned
it was like this since...2nd AC game. It's just a funny commentary from people who send you messages/write encyclopedia and stuff.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
it was like this since...2nd AC game. It's just a funny commentary from people who send you messages/write encyclopedia and stuff.

In this game it's memos from other people working on the new Edward Kenway movie/video game/whatever.

I want to explore and find everything but I kind of want to get the story out of the way first. Do you get to roam freely after you complete the story or should I save the story stuff for last?

Lime

I can't help feel how much more interesting this game would be if there were just less ships in the ocean - to create more hunter/prey scenarios, or just a general feeling of vastness. I don't need Silent Hunter levels of realism, but at times I feel like I'm doing a slalom course with the Spanish armada.

Fucking exactly.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I see they still haven't fixed the stealth. Just try and hide its deficiencies by adding more foilage. you aren't fooling anyone ubiiii...sigh

Naite

Just did my first 2 diving bell sections. Definitely not a fan of these areas, especially when I'm still getting a handle of the underwater swimming controls.

Also are viewpoints bugged? In Kingston it says I've only got 8/9 when I've done all 9 (and even fast traveled to all of them and resync'd them again).

Mifune

Mehmber
Also are viewpoints bugged? In Kingston it says I've only got 8/9 when I've done all 9 (and even fast traveled to all of them and resync'd them again).

Yeah, I found the viewpoints to be bugged as well. Annoying since that's the one AC "collectible" where I gotta have 'em all.

PS4 users need some help. i bought the game from PSN and while the store page showed me a 21gb download, the actual file was around 4.5 gb. along with it i downloaded the aveline file too. now when i start the game my sp starts instantly but aveline chapter is showing just 73% complete and MP is at 0%. so is my PS4 still downloading files? and will it still keep downloading while its on standby mode cause its not showing any file being downloaded in the notification bar.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just did my first 2 diving bell sections. Definitely not a fan of these areas, especially when I'm still getting a handle of the underwater swimming controls.

I'm not a fan of the underwater sections either, but mostly because there's WAY too much sharks and eels everywhere. Those eels are like fucking underwater velociraptors, stalking you from the long grass.

Anyone know how to find out if the game is recognizing the preorder DLC code for the Hidden Mystery Pack I input? (PS4 version) Is there something on the map I should be seeing?

Reason I ask is I had some issues getting CoD to recognize the Free Fall map but at least that was easy to check, I'm not sure what to look for in this game.

PS4 users need some help. i bought the game from PSN and while the store page showed me a 21gb download, the actual file was around 4.5 gb. along with it i downloaded the aveline file too. now when i start the game my sp starts instantly but aveline chapter is showing just 73% complete and MP is at 0%. so is my PS4 still downloading files? and will it still keep downloading while its on standby mode cause its not showing any file being downloaded in the notification bar.

Yes. The game is still downloading in the background while you play. When I first started the game, I played through the opening level. When I finally got to Havana, the first main city, the game started installing the rest of the way while Edward was standing in the animus loading screen. My install time ingame was maybe 10 minutes tops.

sangreal

I had a good time with this game; wish I had waited for PS4 instead of rushing to play it on PS3 but oh well. Anyways, I wanted to ask -- is it just me or was the ship more fun in ac3? I recall wind having a bigger effect and the chain shot mechanics were much cooler. AC4 seems dumbed down a little, but it's been awhile since I played 3 so maybe my memory is failing me

also, the melee combat blows compared to the older games. and bring back the hook-blade

sangreal

I don't have AC4 on PS4 but my experience with BF4 and NFS was that no, it won't download the rest unless you have the game open

Anyone know how to find out if the game is recognizing the preorder DLC code for the Hidden Mystery Pack I input? (PS4 version) Is there something on the map I should be seeing?

Reason I ask is I had some issues getting CoD to recognize the Free Fall map but at least that was easy to check, I'm not sure what to look for in this game.
OT but how do you check the Free Fall map thing for Cod? I never saw it download or anything.

yep all missions with optional 'don't get in fights', I try, but then see a huge path with no bushes, go fuck it. kill everyone. Give the mission 1 star.

I did notice for assassinations, as long as you kill the target first, you will get the stealth bonus. just mow down everyone else after.

Are there any other weapon types besides barefists, dual swords and hidden blades for melee?

elwes

Is there some kind of official GAF Social list for people that want to have more Royal Convoys, white whales, and social chests pop up in their games? I have a few friends that barely play the game and my ship is strong enough now to easily take out most of those convoys. Need them Reals.

Top Bottom