• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

You are right, just checked my spam folder and there it was. (I thought it would just unlock)
Downloads are wonky right now though, dropping from 60MB/s to nothing all the time.
Currently sitting at 1000hrs lol

Check this post. It should help you out just as much as it has helped me!
Thanks!

Also, someone advise me how to read and use treasure maps? I got the first one because it was incredibly easy. Now I'm searching for the one labeled Queen Anne's figure head and all I see is a red x by the shore somewhere and some coordinates, but when I'm using the map I dont see any coordinates?

elwes

Thanks!

Also, someone advise me how to read and use treasure maps? I got the first one because it was incredibly easy. Now I'm searching for the one labeled Queen Anne's figure head and all I see is a red x by the shore somewhere and some coordinates, but when I'm using the map I dont see any coordinates?

The coordinates are a loose estimate of the general area the treasure can be found in. Also, Queen Anne's Figurehead was, by far, the hardest treasure map quest for me to complete. I walked over that entire area for probably a good 10 minutes before the dig prompt popped up. I've had no trouble with the other 4 I've done.

But in general, just try to match up the landmarks in the drawing to the landmarks in the game, then run around until you get prompted. I think the coordinates are there if you are on a different island and want to find where a specific treasure is elsewhere in the world. Without them, it'd be nearly impossible to hunt them down unless the game informed you there was a treasure on the island that corresponded with a map you possessed.

Double D

Thanks!

Is this the one on the first island you sail to, with the X right behind a big rock? If so, I walked all over that island until finally giving up. I am a terrible treasure hunter.

with how much effort they put in the animations for ac games, its really odd that they just let him walk through ropes on the ships.

lazy ass devs.

What really irks me is how they added all these new smooth animations for vaulting over and under obstacles in AC3 (and this one), yet 90% of the time you try them Connor/Edward just decides to run up them and waste time instead. They really needed to work on making those things less buggy.

sangreal

What really irks me is how they added all these new smooth animations for vaulting over and under obstacles in AC3 (and this one), yet 90% of the time you try them Connor/Edward just decides to run up them and waste time instead. They really needed to work on making those things less buggy.

I swear the free running works worse with every game

I swear the free running works worse with every game

Some advice to at least make it a little better for people having trouble with it. When in tight spaces I will only pull the trigger in halfway for the character to jog instead of full sprint. Tap X while running on something to jump to or from it quickly in a different direction. Hold X while running towards objects that are at the most chest high to quickly vault over them. Also running towards ledges that you want to get down quickly from hold circle while running, that actually helps a lot and won't cause the character to over jump and grab another ledge or something.

Also sidenote, the combat. Unfortunately its a bummer there are that many weapons varieties you can equip your character with like other games, though you can still disarm and use them in combat. I am loving that you can link the quickfire ability with the pistols into a combat kill streak though.

Gif made from my previous uploaded clip from the PS4...
nstafde

BFIB

So far, I'm having a pretty great time. The running mechanics are a little janky, as are the "suck in" animations when running and suddenly your grabbing walls, etc. when you don't mean to.

Beyond that, the naval segments are a blast. Its the pirate game I've always wanted. The assassinations are also a lot of fun.

Its my first AC game that I've played in length. Tried AC and AC2 but didn't make it out of the first couple of hours. Might have to remedy that on an upcoming Steam sale.

Oh, and the graphics are insane.

I just recently bought this game, and as a fairly new AC player, It took me awhile to understand what was going on. I think I was around 12% into the story to start understanding just a small portion of what's going on.

So far, I'm enjoying most of the game. It looks gorgeous, and I'm not just saying that after hearing everyone praise it's beauty, it really is. The faces bother me, though. They look like trolls in the in-game graphics.

The freerunning is really hard to navigate sometimes. It gets annoying when you get stuck in areas when you're trying to run around and climb things. I've missed a ton of kills and failed chases because of that. It's starting to get a little easier to handle as I progress through the game, but it still feels clumsy(?)

The sailing was fun for awhile, but this world is seriously huge, so it can get pretty tedious quickly. Thank god for 'fast travel' points when you just don't feel like sailing to the other end of the map. I love ship battles, though. Those never get old.

Still have have yet to harpoon or play multiplayer. I hope it's as fun as it looks. So far, I'm enjoying my time with the game. I just want this week to end, so I can get some serious play time with this game this weekend.

Also, I might need to some help with this story. I hope you all are willing to answer my newbish questions because I feel like I'll have a lot after I finish this game.

So, what is the secret to getting the optional objective in Memory Sequence 2 in Havana? I could not get that for the life of me. And can you revisit old memory sequences in an attempt to complete said optional objectives?

So, what is the secret to getting the optional objective in Memory Sequence 2 in Havana? I could not get that for the life of me. And can you revisit old memory sequences in an attempt to complete said optional objectives?

would be nice if you give a bit more context unless the optional objective is super spoilery

Yep, as long as you're not in the middle of a mission, you can retry previous missions (and improve your synch by completing optional objectives) through the DNA menu (top option in pause menu, I think).

really wish there was more incentive for doing optional objectives, like a bonus multiplier for the cash reward of a mission (are there any?).

Agreed. It is nice how they included cash bonuses when completely the supply areas without raising alarms, shame they didn't include something like that in the main missions.

I think they should get rid of secondary objectives all together.

Naite

I'm not a fan of the underwater sections either, but mostly because there's WAY too much sharks and eels everywhere. Those eels are like fucking underwater velociraptors, stalking you from the long grass.
Just started my 4th one and getting nothing but sharks at the beginning. Can't wait to get these over and done with. Probably just gonna rush for the collectables, get killed, and grab the rest as I respawn.

So far, I'm having a pretty great time. The running mechanics are a little janky, as are the "suck in" animations when running and suddenly your grabbing walls, etc. when you don't mean to.
I always feel bad for Adewale. Whenever I'm running to or from the wheel of the Jackdaw, I always seems to shove him out of my way.

CrovaxPSO

Anyone playing on PS4 have any luck signing in to Uplay? Ever since launch day it just hangs on logging in then gives up, and when I try to sign in manually it tries for about two seconds before saying the servers are down. It's a real bummer since the fleet stuff is all based on Uplay.

Anyone playing on PS4 have any luck signing in to Uplay? Ever since launch day it just hangs on logging in then gives up, and when I try to sign in manually it tries for about two seconds before saying the servers are down. It's a real bummer since the fleet stuff is all based on Uplay.

Yeah I signed in okay

This game is boring as shit in Havana but then once you get the Jackdaw and start pirating it becomes FUCKING AWESOME

I'm electricblue187 on PSN

I have never had a problem signing into Uplay since launch on PS4.

Mifune

Mehmber
Is this the one on the first island you sail to, with the X right behind a big rock? If so, I walked all over that island until finally giving up. I am a terrible treasure hunter.

I did the same thing. Turns out that treasure is on a different island entirely. You should get a notification when you are on an island that corresponds to one of your treasure maps.

SJRB

Gold Member
I did the same thing. Turns out that treasure is on a different island entirely. You should get a notification when you are on an island that corresponds to one of your treasure maps.

Uhm, you do get a notification.

Also - every treasure map has the exact coordinates of the corresponding location on them. If you were on a completely different island that's entirely your own fault.

I was told this game was good and much better than AC III.... I feel lied to.

It's still as clunky and broken as ever and the story/characters so far are really uninteresting

The intro was also terribly underwhelming

I was told this game was good and much better than AC III.... I feel lied to.

It's still as clunky and broken as ever and the story/characters so far are really uninteresting

The intro was also terribly underwhelming

This game is nowhere even near as broken as AC3 but if you don't like the piracy you probably shouldn't have bought this

yeah, wish tomahawks returned... easily the best weapons in the series. dual swords are ok, but the kill animations are still a bit too long.

they really should increase the speedof kill animations and make enemies about 10 times more aggressive. I feel like like i'm playing a turn based rpgs with enemies just waiting around.

Just beat it. I feel like the ending was really abrupt (both the present day stuff and Edward's story). When I started the final Chapter (or Segment, whatever they are called), I thought I'd have one more final mission to do, but it was just the ending cutscene. It was so jarring when the credits start to roll like I thought I had accidentally skipped something.

AC games always have the longest credits ever. I beat the game like 20 minutes ago and they are still going on while I type this. Anyways...

Overall, I liked the game, but it's still very flawed in some areas... especially the cities. The first city in the game is the best one, but you are barely there for much of anything. The other two "cities" are similar to AC3-style (ie: terrible) where it's way too flat and there's no fun platforming/free-running areas. I still say the cities in AC2 were the best in the series and they were so fun to navigate. AC3 cities are the worst, and.. this game is just kind of a middle-ground. I realize they are trying to be "realistic" in how the cities looked back then, but I think gameplay should come first.

The ship combat and navigation was fun, and I'm glad it returned from AC3. But by about 75% through the game, I never boarded a ship unless I had to for a mission. It was really fun at first (the whole boarding and taking over a ship), but it got old/repetitive pretty quickly.

Let's see, what else... Edward is a very likable character, and his story was... okay, I guess. I feel like all the AC games have pretty poor pacing, though. The present day story was pretty much nonexistent (which I know a lot of people will be happy to hear) and somewhat confusing. (end game spoilers)
Why exactly were Rebecca and Shaun working with the Sage/IT guy? Or why was he giving them information? In exchange for what? I don't understand why they were helping each other at all. I know what the Sage wanted, but I don't see how Rebecca/Shaun factored into that at all.

My experience was kind of marred early on by a bug that prevented me from finishing the assassin contracts, and it kept a "Kill" red icon on my screen at all times (when not in cutscene). Still as buggy as ever. Well, not as buggy as launch AC3, of course. xD Anyways, I have mixed feelings on the game as a whole. Need to think on it some more.

sangreal

I just recently bought this game, and as a fairly new AC player, It took me awhile to understand what was going on. I think I was around 12% into the story to start understanding just a small portion of what's going on.

So far, I'm enjoying most of the game. It looks gorgeous, and I'm not just saying that after hearing everyone praise it's beauty, it really is. The faces bother me, though. They look like trolls in the in-game graphics.

The freerunning is really hard to navigate sometimes. It gets annoying when you get stuck in areas when you're trying to run around and climb things. I've missed a ton of kills and failed chases because of that. It's starting to get a little easier to handle as I progress through the game, but it still feels clumsy(?)

The sailing was fun for awhile, but this world is seriously huge, so it can get pretty tedious quickly. Thank god for 'fast travel' points when you just don't feel like sailing to the other end of the map. I love ship battles, though. Those never get old.

Still have have yet to harpoon or play multiplayer. I hope it's as fun as it looks. So far, I'm enjoying my time with the game. I just want this week to end, so I can get some serious play time with this game this weekend.

Also, I might need to some help with this story. I hope you all are willing to answer my newbish questions because I feel like I'll have a lot after I finish this game.

I have played every console iteration and I have no idea what's going on in that story anymore either, don't worry

Mifune

Mehmber

Also - every treasure map has the exact coordinates of the corresponding location on them. If you were on a completely different island that's entirely your own fault.

Uhm...thanks for being a shithead. I was replying to someone else, trying to help out. I know that there's a notification, was just pointing that out to the dude who couldn't find the treasure.

Try reading the fucking post next time before treating people like idiots. Sorry that you thought I was blaming the game. You can go tell your bosses at Ubisoft that all is cool.

yeah, wish tomahawks returned... easily the best weapons in the series. dual swords are ok, but the kill animations are still a bit too long.

they really should increase the speedof kill animations and make enemies about 10 times more aggressive. I feel like like i'm playing a turn based rpgs with enemies just waiting around.

I believe Aveline still uses the same animation set as Conner, even though it is a machete. She is just as quick. Play the DLC.

I err on the side of caution with spoilers. It is the second mission you get in Havana. The optional objective is simply to not get into combat.

Hire dancers whenever you see them and use the groups of crowds to blend in so you aren't spotted. I think I am talking about that mission. Still I may need more details if im not right.

I believe Aveline still uses the same animation set as Conner, even though it is a machete. She is just as quick. Play the DLC.

yep. remember that. never finished the vita game because the framerate was TERRIBLE. counter didn't work half the time because of that.

biggest disappointment on vita for me.

People say you get the aveline dlc on pc if you redeemed an nvidia code? Don't see the dlc on the main menu, o_O

yep. remember that. never finished the vita game because the framerate was TERRIBLE. counter didn't work half the time because of that.

biggest disappointment on vita for me.

People say you get the aveline dlc on pc if you redeemed an nvidia code? Don't see the dlc on the main menu, o_O

Yeah. the countering is different on the vita game for some reason. Instead of a solid press on the counter button it was more of a quick tap to activate it. Strange.

Hire dancers whenever you see them and use the groups of crowds to blend in so you aren't spotted. I think I am talking about that mission. Still I may need more details if im not right.
Oh, jeez. I forgot about the spoiler tags. Long day. Anyway, it's
the Fort where you use the Captain's key at the end

I believe Aveline still uses the same animation set as Conner, even though it is a machete. She is just as quick. Play the DLC..

Is the aveline dlc active? Every time I go to additional content it just has the season pass stuff, all the unlocker dlc and the coming soon! Piece,I think for the adewale stuff

Oh, jeez. I forgot about the spoiler tags. Long day. Anyway, it's
the Fort where you use the Captain's key at the end

Follow the captain around and hire dancers. He will walk into a closed off section that is blocked by guards. Have the dancers distract the guards and sneak up behind him and take him out and get the key. You will then be in the front of the fort where there are two guards in front blocking the entrance. to the left side there is a tree you can climb that will lead around the side of the fort and you can climb to the top. Take your time pull guards off ledges and taking them down one by one. Corner cover and whistling guards over to you position is also useful when you are on top of the fort.

If you are on twitch I will stream that section tonight and show you what I'm talking about if you can't figure it out. Follow my channel "keltickennedy" and my PSN is "CelticKennedy"

Is the aveline dlc active? Every time I go to additional content it just has the season pass stuff, all the unlocker dlc and the coming soon! Piece,I think for the adewale stuff

Its displayed in the top right of the main menu for me.

FYou will then be in the front of the fort where there are two guards in front blocking the entrance. to the left side there is a tree you can climb that will lead around the side of the fort and you can climb to the top. Take your time pull guards off ledges and taking them down one by one. Corner cover and whistling guards over to you position is also useful when you are on top of the fort.

If you are on twitch I will stream that section tonight and show you what I'm talking about if you can't figure it out. Follow my channel "keltickennedy" and my PSN is "CelticKennedy"
Thanks so much! I won't be home tonight, but I definitely appreciate the offer.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Its displayed in the top right of the main menu for me.

I registered the code for that but it's not there. Do you have to be logged in with a UPlay ID for it to show up?

I bought about every launch game..have yet to play my Ass. Creed copy.

Only because really the most of the series I've played is 30min of the one that took place in Italy (2?)

Am I gonna be really lost or enjoy it less?

But the coordinates are very general. Basically treasure two is somewhere in Havana. That's all the game tells you pretty much.

Bebpo

Banned
Just beat it. I feel like the ending was really abrupt (both the present day stuff and Edward's story). When I started the final Chapter (or Segment, whatever they are called), I thought I'd have one more final mission to do, but it was just the ending cutscene. It was so jarring when the credits start to roll like I thought I had accidentally skipped something.

AC games always have the longest credits ever. I beat the game like 20 minutes ago and they are still going on while I type this. Anyways...

Overall, I liked the game, but it's still very flawed in some areas... especially the cities. The first city in the game is the best one, but you are barely there for much of anything. The other two "cities" are similar to AC3-style (ie: terrible) where it's way too flat and there's no fun platforming/free-running areas. I still say the cities in AC2 were the best in the series and they were so fun to navigate. AC3 cities are the worst, and.. this game is just kind of a middle-ground. I realize they are trying to be "realistic" in how the cities looked back then, but I think gameplay should come first.

Yeah. When some people are talking about locations for future AC games it's kind of worrying when you think how empty those places are and looking at how that plays into gameplay of roof-running in AC3 & AC4.

They need to stick to cities that you can roof run around like crazy. That's where a lot of the fun is. And yeah it's a shame so little time is spent in Havana considering it's a great city. Like I don't even get that, they make this good sized interesting city and even if you do all the sub-quest/collectibles you never really get a chance to get to know it.

I miss AC2 where every city had "districts" and you got historical database entries for each district and each had their own feel. You spent a lot of time within the cities and you really got to know them. Especially with Rome and Constantinople in B and R since they were only one city each. In AC3 Boston/NY were so same-y you never got to know the city as it all looked the same drabness. In AC4 you don't get to know Havana because you blow through it and Nassau isn't much of a city (haven't gotten to Kingston yet).

I'm cool with all the side stuff they keep adding like sea exploration and islands but it'd be nice if they brought back some really legendary cities again that you spent a lot of time in and got to know really well. Remember how many historical building database entries there were in AC2 and AC2:B? Dozens upon Dozens. There was so much rich history to the area and it made the world great to explore.

Would be nice to see an AC game like that again. Maybe Jack the Ripper era London or something.

This game is nowhere even near as broken as AC3 but if you don't like the piracy you probably shouldn't have bought this
Note when I say "broken" I don't mean glitchy, I mean mechanics

Combat is still the same easy mode shallow crap

Free running is still all over the place and doesn't go where you want it to go

Missions are all still the same as before, the AI still acts dumb

Characters are really not that great

Don't get me started on how dumb the Animus stuff is this time around

The piracy is about the only thing keeping me playing

Top Bottom