• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Dead

well not really...yet
Yeah. When some people are talking about locations for future AC games it's kind of worrying when you think how empty those places are and looking at how that plays into gameplay of roof-running in AC3 & AC4.

They need to stick to cities that you can roof run around like crazy. That's where a lot of the fun is. And yeah it's a shame so little time is spent in Havana considering it's a great city. Like I don't even get that, they make this good sized interesting city and even if you do all the sub-quest/collectibles you never really get a chance to get to know it.

I miss AC2 where every city had "districts" and you got historical database entries for each district and each had their own feel. You spent a lot of time within the cities and you really got to know them. Especially with Rome and Constantinople in B and R since they were only one city each. In AC3 Boston/NY were so same-y you never got to know the city as it all looked the same drabness. In AC4 you don't get to know Havana because you blow through it and Nassau isn't much of a city (haven't gotten to Kingston yet).

I'm cool with all the side stuff they keep adding like sea exploration and islands but it'd be nice if they brought back some really legendary cities again that you spent a lot of time in and got to know really well. Remember how many historical building database entries there were in AC2 and AC2:B? Dozens upon Dozens. There was so much rich history to the area and it made the world great to explore.

Would be nice to see an AC game like that again. Maybe Jack the Ripper era London or something.
Kingston is pretty distinct from the other two. Good variety in it as well.

You're totally right about the difference in city quality though. AC2 and ACB cities just felt incredibly rich, incredibly detailed, well researched, full of lore and history. You really felt immersed in that time period. AC3 and 4 cities feel more like video game cities rather than historical based fiction cities if that makes sense.

SJRB

Gold Member
Uhm...thanks for being a shithead. I was replying to someone else, trying to help out. I know that there's a notification, was just pointing that out to the dude who couldn't find the treasure.

Try reading the fucking post next time before treating people like idiots. Sorry that you thought I was blaming the game. You can go tell your bosses at Ubisoft that all is cool.

Haha calm down there, champ. Simple misunderstanding is all.

Roto13

Kingston is pretty distinct from the other two. Good variety in it as well.

You're totally right about the difference in city quality though. AC2 and ACB cities just felt incredibly rich, incredibly detailed, well researched, full of lore and history. You really felt immersed in that time period. AC3 and 4 cities feel more like video game cities rather than historical based fiction cities if that makes sense.

ACIV has smaller, simpler cities because most of the game takes place on the water.

ACIII had small cities because they thought that awful wilderness area was a suitable replacement for them.

And both of them suffer in comparison to the Ezio trilogy because Renaissance Italy was just an older, more interesting place than Havannah or Boston in the 18th century. If Nassau had a Colosseum, it'd be in Black Flag.

ACIV has smaller, simpler cities because most of the game takes place on the water.

ACIII had small cities because they thought that awful wilderness area was a suitable replacement for them.

And both of them suffer in comparison to the Ezio trilogy because Renaissance Italy was just an older, more interesting place than Havannah or Boston in the 18th century. If Nassau had a Colosseum, it'd be in Black Flag.

There was still bugger all to do in the cities in AC1 and AC2, however. Surely there can't be even less to do in the cities in ACIV? Sounds like there is more variety overall at least. I kind of jumped ship after AC2, but I am thinking of boarding again with this one.

Gaz_RB

I bought about every launch game..have yet to play my Ass. Creed copy.

Only because really the most of the series I've played is 30min of the one that took place in Italy (2?)

Am I gonna be really lost or enjoy it less?

I think you'll like it. It's really the best place to jump in to the series, the main overarching Assassin's Creed story pretty much ends in AC3. I'm loving it, 40+hours in and still enjoying it. If you have it, play it. Especially with the new patch.

Bebpo

Banned
There was still bugger all to do in the cities in AC1 and AC2, however. Surely there can't be even less to do in the cities in ACIV? Sounds like there is more variety overall at least. I kind of jumped ship after AC2, but I am thinking of boarding again with this one.

More collectibles, less historical buildings to climb.

can anyone give me any tips on sailing/ship battles? Because I just feel like I'm terrible and I mostly just seem to be veeerrryyy slowly turning around all the time as ships just race around me and shoot at me

Pooya

beat it

I don't know what happens with me in AC games, always around half way point in the story I can't really tell who are these characters I am assassinating. More so in this game, maybe because they have mostly similar faces other than two or so, I can't tell who is who and their names don't stick. >.< I have this problem since ACII...

I think they should do something to make time gaps in the story more noticeable too...

Game was pretty good though except too many tail missions, like toooo many and I hated all of them. The stealth isn't anything great, it's really hide in the bush only, but at least it works unlike 3. High point of the game were the sea really even though it gets old after 4-5 hours tops still bombarding a fort during a storm doesn't get old because how good it looks. I like all the random and subtle things that happens here and there too. like your fort firing and sinking enemy ships, British and Spanish ships battling it out etc. Legendary ships were cool too. The map was a lot bigger than I expected, although there isn't much variety in the scenery and islands/ports.

Side activities were a bit better in this. Assassin's Contracts actually have cutscenes like main story although the missions were pretty bad still.

As for modern day stuff, well that was something... I hated the frogger hacking mini game, awful...
I like how much reading material is in this game and some of them are quite long and detailed.

Overall it managed to somewhat wash away the bitter taste AC3 left, like to see what's next even though the core mechanics of AC are seriously old and tired now. It needs a serious overhaul still. free running should feel a lot smoother for one. The story is so silly now it just looks like they can continue this forever and the funny thing is that the in game emails imply that too pretty much. lol

can anyone give me any tips on sailing/ship battles? Because I just feel like I'm terrible and I mostly just seem to be veeerrryyy slowly turning around all the time as ships just race around me and shoot at me

One big thing is making sure to drop sails quickly to do a quick turn. If you're a full sail and need to turn around quickly, drop anchor and you should be set then throw full sails back.

Voidance

I'm not very far into the game, but the free running can get seriously annoying. There are times it works perfectly (most of the time), and others when Edward starts climbing a pillar instead of going through a door, etc. This has been my biggest issue with AC gameplay and it hasn't changed much at all.

Kazerei

Banned
I bought about every launch game..have yet to play my Ass. Creed copy.

Only because really the most of the series I've played is 30min of the one that took place in Italy (2?)

Am I gonna be really lost or enjoy it less?

ACIV is not a bad place to jump into the series, actually, since it features new protagonists and a new setting. But you might be kinda lost without some background info on the series.

Here's what you should know. Assassins and Templars are two factions that have been secretly fighting each other for centuries, and are still fighting in the present day. Assassins pursue freedom, Templars pursue order. They're basically like Chaos and Law.

The Animus is a machine, created by a company called Abstergo, that lets you relive the memories of a person's ancestor. In ACIV, you play as an Abstergo employee who's job is to hop in the Animus and experience the life of Edward Kenway, an 18th century pirate, for research purposes.

Oh, and there's also the Precursors, a highly advanced ancient civilization that went extinct due to some catastrophe, but they left behind special temples and artifacts with mysterious powers and such. You're probably familiar with the trope.

If the story doesn't make any sense, don't worry, it's not like you're missing out on a great story or anything. The present-day storyline especially is a mess.

Roto13

The slower you're going, the more sharply you'll turn, but these are ships, not motorcycles. They're not going to turn very fast no matter what you do. :p

Also keep in mind that you can upgrade your ship's weapons and armour so if an enemy completely brutalizes you, you might just not be strong enough yet, and it might have little to do with your actions.

Ship battles are actually pretty simple once you get down to it.

Tenrius

I'd like to try out the single player online features, would somebody care to add me to their Uplay friend list? I'm on PC (if that matters), the username is Tenrius.

Flunkie

Banned
See I disagree on the "needs more cities" part. I got so bored of that by the time Brotherhood/Revelations came around, that I stopped playing. It's was just more of the same. I think Ubisoft trolled people starting out in a city mostly (or at least they trolled me) then going and turning you loose on the seas. I like that it's not more of the same. It's kinda crazy that you can go out and do your thing, loot ships, hunt animals, craft all kinds of stuff, then come back to a city like Havana and do traditional Assassins Creed stuff.

And it all looks gorgeous in 1080p now. My goodness.

ReaperXL7

Opinions and all that I guess, The Caribbean/Pirates/Explorative aspects of the time period are far more interesting to me then anything to do with the middle east/italy.

Sailing the west indies, taking down forts in the middle of a hurricane, hunting whales, exploring mayan ruins, the historical figures from that time frame are all very interesting to me so ACIV has easily become my favorite game in the series.

I can see why some would prefer the larger cities of previous games, but this game is much more about the ocean, and exploration then it is about climbing some old church. My only real complaint at this point is that the sneaking is incredibly shallow(which makes it unenjoyable), and I dislike the evesdropping stuff(allot because the stealth mechanics kind of sucks).

I even kind of wish that they had called it something other then assassins creed because the aspects that tie it to the series feel abit forced within the greater context of the theme.

Gothos

Just started playing but I got quick question before going all in: should I play Ezio trilogy first and AC III before playing IV? Or I can safely finish and then jump into ACII, etc.

Roto13

Opinions and all that I guess, The Caribbean/Pirates/Explorative aspects of the time period are far more interesting to me then anything to do with the middle east/italy.

Sailing the west indies, taking down forts in the middle of a hurricane, hunting whales, exploring mayan ruins, the historical figures from that time frame are all very interesting to me so ACIV has easily become my favorite game in the series.

I'm specifically talking about the cities. The setting and characters are great but there are no cities anywhere close to as big and cool as Venice. Or basically anything but Forli.

Just started playing but I got quick question before going all in: should I play Ezio trilogy first and AC III before playing IV? Or I can safely finish and then jump into ACII, etc.

This will spoil the modern day stuff in the other AC games, but other than that, it's fine.

Flunkie

Banned
Also: am I the only one who wishes there was a Batman: Arkham series-style crouch for sneaking/stealth missions? Partly why I hate those missions so much is that crouch is forced only when you enter bushes, but if I want to get from one bush to he next, I have to stand up in plain sight and walk there. I've been craving a crouch/sneak for AC for awhile, and it just feels so satisfying in the Arkham games... why not emulate that?

ReaperXL7

Which outfit are y'all's favorite?

Really digging pirate cloak and captain.

Right now im using the Black/red Captian armor. Im a few keys away from getting the Templar armor so we will see how much I like that one and if I switch up.

I want to get the persian swords but for some reason I cannot figure out how to do/find the social challanges on the PS4. It seems I also cannot use Kenways fleet at all because you have to be connected to Ubisofts servers and it seems like they forgot about the PS4 version in that reguard because the servers are never available.

Dead

well not really...yet
Ive never had an issue logging into uplay. Logged in day one and its been up since. Wonder why its now working for some people.

Thanks for the ship help guys

New question: how do I access my dlc stuff? I downloaded and installed some costume and weapons I got from Target, but I don't find them in my inventory to equip?

Raven77

No one else is getting bad screen flicker constantly in the PS4 version? It's strobing like crazy for me whenever I look at dense vegetation when I move myself or the camera.

No problems in BF4, KZ or Resogun. Just this game.

EDIT: It flickers on all sorts of stuff. In Havanah, if I stand on a building and rotate the camera, certain surfaces have a light strobing on them, while others don't. It looks like some kind of light depth of field effect gone awry. Sometimes I can be hanging in front of a wall, and moving the camera slightly makes this light flicker occur on the entire texture in front of me. On other walls, it doesn't do it.

But looking at the dense foliage in the beginning level- the entire area where the foliage was on the screen would flicker slightly when I panned the camera.

It doesn't look like a bad video card type of error, but some really bad rendering code or something...

EDIT2: I figured it out. There was a goddamn "edge enhancer" option running on my TV. Turned that off and all flickering went away. Whew.

My GOD thank you so much!!!

This has been driving me nuts in this game, crap flickering everywhere. It was making it nearly unplayable.

Is the game worth it for me to pick up now on 360? Out curiousity, how many p's is it on current gen? Or should I wait til I get a PS4 early next year?

Is the game worth it for me to pick up now on 360? Out curiousity, how many p's is it on current gen? Or should I wait til I get a PS4 early next year?

you get exactly the same game, its quite impressive how close the core gameplay is - cities look similar from PS3 to PS4 though the PS4 does run a lot better, the framerate chugs in busy city areas on PS3 (360 should perform similarly) but it doesnt screen tear.

the sea and sailing looks quite close considering the difference in power (main difference is that PS3 has a limited draw distance for waves whereas it appears limitless on PS4) I was very impressed with this aspect playing the PS3 version.

apart from the better frame rate and higher IQ, the biggest difference for me is the foliage - it looks stunning on PS4 like a real tropical or jungle environment. There is no comparison looks wise, its just stunning on PS4 and quite barren in comparison on current gen.

If you have a PS3, perhaps buy for that and use the $10 upgrade plan. It appears like the code to ALLOW you pay $10 expires (early 2014 I think) but that you can actually then pay for and download on the PS4 at any time in the future without time limit,

Its a stunning visual upgrade for PS4, but I was surprised how the core gameplay itself is actually near identical.

Irish

Crouching would simply be a waste of a button. It's not like guards really notice the sounds you make and they have their backs turned to you half of the time.

I've always found crouching kind of silly when I can walk silently in real life and I have a visual profile that sort of blends in with the background. It's so easy to surprise the fuck out of people without even trying.

I used Kenway's regular robes throughout the whole game for the most part. There's just something about that teal color on his back that sets me right. Kind of wish his sash was turquoise like in the whaler outfit.

Fleet stuff and UPlay points were working for me on PS4. Actually, I really liked the social elements in this game overall. It was kind of cool seeing what other people discovered and helping their fleets move faster.

Loved the audio diaries and reading material. Lots there.

I still want to see a fictional revamp to the story when the first next-gen version arrives. That way you can build your setting around the gameplay instead of vice versa.

Haven't played an AC2 game since 2 since it was so, so simple and repetitive to me. This is great fun so far, but I fear it will also soon overstay its welcome.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really enjoying this game so far. Feels like the series has its spark back.

Runs great on PS4 too. It's only stuttered a few times in 12 hours.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
My problem with the game is that even though it is open world, there is very little genuine mystery or exploration. Everything on the map is telegraphed to you, and there is no challenge in getting things except in terms of the time you are willing to invest into running to them. Even the "secrets" are pointed out to you on the map, and the "uncharted" chests and animus fragments are revealed when you take down fortresses.

Also, you are so powerful in combat that if you break stealth, there is no real consequence. The only incentive to maintain stealth is for the occasional bonus gold or optional objective.

I was playing Super Mario 64 last night and it was refreshing how absolutely nothing is pointed out to you. You have to look around and think about where things may be and navigate obstacles skillfully. Secrets are really secret and there is a genuine sense of discovery to everything as you play.

With Assassin's Creed IV, there are no real surprises. The game is always telling you exactly where things are, how far you are from it, and exactly what you should do on a given mission. With the huge amount of collectibles and the massive size of the world, it's been enjoyable to run around in, but it's starting to feel tedious due to the lack of any genuine surprise or challenge.

Combat is still the same easy mode shallow crap

Free running is still all over the place and doesn't go where you want it to go

These 2 are my biggest complaints. I feel running around is very imprecise. Maybe a side effect of using mouse + keyboard.

The combat is really poor. I absolutely do not look forward to fighting enemies. I like silently assassinating them.... but melee combat is not fun at all.

Scoica

Banned
"It's always a question of compromise about the effect, how it looks, and the performance it takes from the system. On PC, usually you don't really care about the performance, because the idea is that if it's not [running] fast enough, you buy a bigger GPU. Once you get on console, you can't have this approach."

no pc love

My problem with the game is that even though it is open world, there is very little genuine mystery or exploration. Everything on the map is telegraphed to you, and there is no challenge in getting things except in terms of the time you are willing to invest into running to them. Even the "secrets" are pointed out to you on the map, and the "uncharted" chests and animus fragments are revealed when you take down fortresses.

Also, you are so powerful in combat that if you break stealth, there is no real consequence. The only incentive to maintain stealth is for the occasional bonus gold or optional objective.

I was playing Super Mario 64 last night and it was refreshing how absolutely nothing is pointed out to you. You have to look around and think about where things may be and navigate obstacles skillfully. Secrets are really secret and there is a genuine sense of discovery to everything as you play.

With Assassin's Creed IV, there are no real surprises. The game is always telling you exactly where things are, how far you are from it, and exactly what you should do on a given mission. With the huge amount of collectibles and the massive size of the world, it's been enjoyable to run around in, but it's starting to feel tedious due to the lack of any genuine surprise or challenge.
To be fair, turning off most of the hud options could help most of your problems with it.

jet1911

After playing the current gen version I'm impressed with the PS4 version. 1080p and a stable framerate makes a world of difference.

CrovaxPSO

Yeah I haven't been able to login to uplay on AC4 on PS4 since I started playing.

I really hope they find a solution to this soon. I submitted a ticket on the support website, I wonder if they'll just shoot a copy/paste reply about PSN being under heavy load or something.

Just beat the game. Pretty damn addicting. Never did finish Revelations so I was a bit backed up when it came to the lore, but now that I know a huge spoiler and it makes me want to go back and finish it. Same with AC3 if it has more ship goodness.

Harabec

Neo Member
Haven't played any AC games since 2. Read up on the ending to the Desmond stuff and glad I jumped out on that stuff.
I'm really enjoying this game; having the naval stuff helps break up the city missions and keeps me entertained. The ability to blend with more stuff makes the annoying eavesdrop missions less of an annoyance and I am willing to actually take things slow and go stealthy instead of running in headfirst and counter-killing every enemy.

Midou

1080p/AA patch really made pretty obvious difference.

I just got to first boat part after opening in main story. There are some FANTASTIC fighting animations. The water and boats and everything looks fantastic too. It runs quite nicely as well.

It's shaping up to be my favourite since 2 as well, and I loved brotherhood. So much of what made AC3 shit seems to be gone in this.

Naite

I just took down my second legendary ship but the loot isn't rising (I'm mashing square while circling the icon on my minimap). Am I screwed out of money or can I keep fighting it again?

I just took down my second legendary ship but the loot isn't rising (I'm mashing square while circling the icon on my minimap). Am I screwed out of money or can I keep fighting it again?

I think you might get the money when you sail away, I'm not sure though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Anyone else having weird stuff with their Uplay passport happen? For the first 4 or 5 days I was up and running online with the passport they provided even tho whenever i started the game it would pop the "Validate your Uplay..." crap. I would skip or cancel and then it would say "You're UPLAY passport has been verified.." blah blah blah..

Well i went to start it up today, it asked me for the code again as usual and then when I canceled it said I was still not logged in. Tried entering the code and i got a verification error that said my Authentication code may have expired or some such bullshit...

ideas? I wanna finish up my fleet business and I got PSN homies asking for my help...

Roto13

Sail a few hundred meters away and sail back? I've had that happen with floating crates before. It's really weird.

Top Bottom