• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

Kvik

Nobody told me that engaging in piracy is so much fun.

Why is it that when farming for Metal, almost all ships are loaded with Wood/Cloth? And when it's time to farm for Wood, Metal pops up everywhere!

In any case I thoroughly enjoyed just sailing and hearing my crew's Shanties. Do not use fast travels, I implore you.

Can't wait to pick another fight with frigates.

Yuripaw

Banned
Nobody told me that engaging in piracy is so much fun.

Why is it that when farming for Metal, almost all ships are loaded with Wood/Cloth? And when it's time to farm for Wood, Metal pops up everywhere!

In any case I thoroughly enjoyed just sailing and hearing my crew's Shanties. Do not use fast travels, I implore you.

Can't wait to pick another fight with frigates.

Well, I mean I enjoy sailing around as well, but come on, let's be realistic. If I am gonna go somewhere on the other end of the map, and I just wanna get there, fast travel time.

Derrick01

Banned
Woah that first legendary ship I tried to fight wrecked the shit out of me and I have most everything fully upgraded or at the second to last upgrade. Right before the battle I bought the maximum hull armor too and the ship's mortars chewed through it in seconds.

Something that can't be beaten with your eyes closed in an AC game? I don't know how to handle this surprising revelation.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't know if this has been asked before, but where are the X1 reviews for this game?

Vodh

Whoever came up with the idea to have shanties as a collectible is a freaking genius. Honestly, it's the best collectible I've seen in a game and having my crew sing them at random during your voyages is one of my favourite little things about the game.

I don't know if they have as strong of a universal appeal, but I freaking love shanties and for me they almost make the game (which is otherwise an amazing game already, mind you!) by themselves.

SJRB

Gold Member
Playing on the PS4 I finally reached the part where I left off while playing the PS3 version.

I pretty much speedran through it, and even with this few distractions I still haven't got a fucking clue what is going on with the story haha. The most random collection of events.

Sailing the seas is just SO satisfying though. Did they dial up the enemy boat and survivor/loot spawn rate though? There's shit EVERYWHERE. I just want to sail, you know? The seas in AC4 look like the freeway or something, so much traffic.

Kvik

Well, I mean I enjoy sailing around as well, but come on, let's be realistic. If I am gonna go somewhere on the other end of the map, and I just wanna get there, fast travel time.

Well, personally I might miss all those flotsams containing Wood, Metal etc. if I use fast travel. If its floating, and I'm not in the middle of a battle, I simply must have it!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Playing on the PS4 I finally reached the part where I left off while playing the PS3 version.

I pretty much speedran through it, and even with this few distractions I still haven't got a fucking clue what is going on with the story haha. The most random collection of events..

Yeah, this is what I'm feeling. I don't really have a clue what the heck this guy is doing. Why is he helping these guys and not those guys? Why does he want to meet this person? Etc. I feel like the game just drops you in midway through this guy's story, and then doesn't explain what the hell is going on. I also have no idea what's happening in the modern day parts. They're making games now, based on DNA memories (or whatever)? Maybe I'd understand that stuff had I played the previous games...

Lucent

One thing they really need in this game is force feedback when fighting. Like it doesn't have to be heavy, just I want to feel the impact I make with the sword. I feel disconnected from games when I don't feel that.

leng jai

One thing they really need in this game is force feedback when fighting. Like it doesn't have to be heavy, just I want to feel the impact I make with the sword. I feel disconnected from games when I don't feel that.

Better sound effects for the combat too. Really the entire system needs an overhaul.

Cheska

Sequence 11/12 question/spoiler
so is Adewale gone and replaced by the woman who used to work at the bar? I feel like I missed something. I know I rescued her and Mary :( from the prison but then I got lost on the next sequence of events.

Has anyone else experience crashes on PS4? I loaded my save today and twice got booted back the OS within minutes of playing. And then I played for a few hours without any problems. Weird.

Kvik

Has anyone else experience crashes on PS4? I loaded my save today and twice got booted back the OS within minutes of playing. And then I played for a few hours without any problems. Weird.

I clocked in 23 hours so far, and only encountered one crash. It froze like during E3 demo for 5 seconds, then it crashed.

Fistwell

Woah that first legendary ship I tried to fight wrecked the shit out of me and I have most everything fully upgraded or at the second to last upgrade. Right before the battle I bought the maximum hull armor too and the ship's mortars chewed through it in seconds.

Something that can't be beaten with your eyes closed in an AC game? I don't know how to handle this surprising revelation.
Yeah they're pretty tough. I accidentally engaged a legendary ship
ghost ship
, managed to bring it down to about 1/4 of its health... but his broadside volleys just murdered me (each one hitting for about 1/3 of my health). Most of my upgrades were at second to last as well. I think it should be doable by kitting him and landing mortar hits, but that means weaving through his mortars as well... dunno if I have to coordination to do so many things at the same time: aim mortar strikes behind me, look out for mortar hit-zones around my ship, avoid ramming into shit in front of me... I only got so many eyes...

Played all weekend, had one. Tried to rapid-travel right after the game saved. Crashed to xmb.

Sailing the seas is just SO satisfying though. Did they dial up the enemy boat and survivor/loot spawn rate though? There's shit EVERYWHERE. I just want to sail, you know? The seas in AC4 look like the freeway or something, so much traffic.
Yeah, it's super dense out there. wish they had spaced things out a lot more, even distance between lands. Takes like a minute to go from florida to cuba... encounters are far too common as well, I'd much rather have fewer of them, but each one being more meaningful, both in terms of cargo and difficulty. I also wish I could upgrade to at least a frigate or something... Feels silly to pwn manowars in a brig.

Started playing this game yesterday and got as far as Nassau, after doing everything in Havana. My god this game is glorious! We're back to AC2 levels of greatness here.

What the hell they are going to do in AC5 to top this I have no idea!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah me too. Surprised people here aren't talking about it.

I haven't seen any comment from Ubisoft about it either. It's really hindering my experience.

I had issues logging in and linking my new PSN ID to UPlay at first as well, I solved it by resetting my UPlay password via uplay.com then it worked fine.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah me too. Surprised people here aren't talking about it.

I haven't seen any comment from Ubisoft about it either. It's really hindering my experience.

The uPlay issue becomes quite a problem later on since it completely locks you out of Kenway's Fleet segment of the game. The Fleet is the primary method of making money [aside from boarding ships and selling sugar/rum] and the later upgrades cost quite a bit, so I'm struggling with my cashflow all the time.

It's insane how this is isn't fixed, really. It has been going on since the PS4 release in the US, three weeks ago.

Vashetti

Banned
I had issues logging in and linking my new PSN ID to UPlay at first as well, I solved it by resetting my UPlay password via uplay.com then it worked fine.

My problem is that I literally cannot connect to the Uplay servers. Everytime it just says the servers are unavailable.

Ominym

Banned
The uPlay issue becomes quite a problem later on since it completely locks you out of Kenway's Fleet segment of the game. The Fleet is the primary method of making money [aside from boarding ships and selling sugar/rum] and the later upgrades cost quite a bit, so I'm struggling with my cashflow all the time.

It's insane how this is isn't fixed, really. It has been going on since the PS4 release in the US, three weeks ago.

Yep, haven't been on uPlay even once. Absolutely unreal. Saddens me that there isn't a bigger uproar about this, considering Ubisoft definitely deserves an ass chewing. There's no reason at all it should still be unusable. None.

Wrayfield

What cracks me up is every time I take a dive from my brig, someone shouts "Cap'n fancies a swim" and such. And when you get back on board, the crew is like: "Arrrghs, heeeeeyyyy, yeaaah, arrrrrrrrr!" totally happy to see their weird-ass captain back.

Even with 95% weapons and armor it took me an hour and a half to kill the legendary ship duo. Those bastards. It was one of those gaming moments where If I didn't end up beating them it was just going to be an utter failure and hours of my life wasted. Thank God I got them. Two more legendary ships to go, but I'll take a break from that now.

I'm finally at the point where I don't need to grind anymore too. I'm just collecting new shanties and taking it easy when I sail. Also unlocked all the forts so there's less restricted waters. No ship on the open seas dares mess with me now.

Pitmonkey

I went through last night and 100% all the naval contracts and under water missions (dah fuck were they thinking with these?) Still on sequence 10 story wise but managed to get all locations, Assassin's Contracts and almost all side missions 100%. Still need to find one treasure map and one Myan armor artifact.

Loving the game, but my god did they make metal farming a damn chore. This is border line free-2-play grind. Any tips? I noticed you only get half the loot if you just ram a boat instead of boarding it, but damn.

iNvid02

Yep, haven't been on uPlay even once. Absolutely unreal. Saddens me that there isn't a bigger uproar about this, considering Ubisoft definitely deserves an ass chewing. There's no reason at all it should still be unusable. None.

people said getting the uplay passport (now free) from the store fixes it

Loving the game, but my god did they make metal farming a damn chore. This is border line free-2-play grind. Any tips? I noticed you only get half the loot if you just ram a boat instead of boarding it, but damn.

There's no shortcut really. It gets easier once your ship starts getting more powerful, then you camp out on the southern part of the map and take out frigates and man-of-wars one after the other without boarding, but until then it's just a serious grind.

Fistwell

Even with 95% weapons and armor it took me an hour and a half to kill the legendary ship duo.
Any particular strategy or general insights you'd like to share?

I can't find it on the PS4 store.
Couldn't either. Instead, when you boot up the game, it asks if you'd like to redeem your Uplay passport. It gives you the option to "go buy one on PSN," or some such. Choose that, it'll bring you to the download page for it on PSN. Also, you shouldn't have to actually "buy" anything, should be free.

iNvid02

when i got rid of one the other went fucking insane and charged really aggressively taking away whatever health i had left

id say bring down both of their health into the red, take out one then try to get out of range when the remaining one goes aggro

had a minuscule bar of health left and managed to take it out right at the last second with some fire barrels, literally a few seconds later and it would have rammed me and finished me off

Even though you will get the opportunity to take one of the ships out first, it's better to then shift your attention to the other guy and try and whittle down his health too. If you destroy the one ship first, the other one turns into a fiery demon rammer from hell, so you need both ships to be almost toast before you take the first one out.

As for how you whittle them down, keep your distance as much as possible and use mortars. They don't do much damage but it starts to add up eventually. When you do come in, sail right up to them head on and just brace as you pass quickly. Wait till you pass and then turn quickly and broadside from behind and try and get up to one of them and ram them from behind. Don't ever get into a side-to-side battle with them. You might get off one shot as you quickly pass, but that's it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I can't find it on the PS4 store.

Couldn't either. Instead, when you boot up the game, it asks if you'd like to redeem your Uplay passport. It gives you the option to "go buy one on PSN," or some such. Choose that, it'll bring you to the download page for it on PSN. Also, you shouldn't have to actually "buy" anything, should be free.

Yeah it's not available directly from the store, (this would be the link to it: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/cid=EP0001-CUSA00009_00-UPLAYPASSPORT001 - taken from my Download List history) Festwill's way works though.

Vashetti

Banned

I already redeemed the paper copy that came with the game when I first started it and it recognises that everytime I boot the game up, so I don't get the option to "buy" one.

Uplay still won't work for me.

Carbonox

I've only done like 1 or 2 of the main missions at the beginning and I've already found every collectible/done every assassin contract in Havanna. :lol

Having so much fun. Game is beautiful on the PS4 too.

Looking at the map, the game is HUGE.

I already redeemed the paper copy that came with the game when I first started it and it recognises that everytime I boot the game up, so I don't get the option to "buy" one.

Uplay still won't work for me.

Do you have over 100 friends on PSN ? That is one of the problems that people are having. If you have over 100 friends on PSN you will not be able to connect to ubisoft servers.

Vashetti

Banned
Do you have over 100 friends on PSN ? That is one of the problems that people are having. If you have over 100 friends on PSN you will not be able to connect to ubisoft servers.

Yeah I definitely have over 100. Don't really want to delete any though.

Ubisoft should get this sorted.

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I'm doing Kenway's Fleet stuff without ever logging into Uplay - I downloaded the passport or whatever, and declined to sign into Uplay and it works fine as far as I can tell. I probably have an account from AssBro, but eh.

Even though you will get the opportunity to take one of the ships out first, it's better to then shift your attention to the other guy and try and whittle down his health too. If you destroy the one ship first, the other one turns into a fiery demon rammer from hell, so you need both ships to be almost toast before you take the first one out.

As for how you whittle them down, keep your distance as much as possible and use mortars. They don't do much damage but it starts to add up eventually. When you do come in, sail right up to them head on and just brace as you pass quickly. Wait till you pass and then turn quickly and broadside from behind and try and get up to one of them and ram them from behind. Don't ever get into a side-to-side battle with them. You might get off one shot as you quickly pass, but that's it.
Ugh, I am not looking forward to fighting the Legendary ships. Tried my hand at El Impuluto and I am still dealing with PTSD. I'm certain it helps to upgrade the Jackdaw 100%, but is there an "easy" way to get all of the metal/wood/cloth to do so? Last count I needed around 1400 metal to make the upgrades I wanted to, and I'm seeing only around 50-100 metal on the big ships and that seems to be rarer than I'd like.

And the thought of grinding ship battles now that I've 100% everything in the game is daunting. How do warehouses fare in supplies? I've not really touched those, outside of accidentally getting in range of when and then running away, only to see the message pop up that the ware house would be emptied if I drifted off too far.

Just one question. Without spoiling to much can anyone tell me if
Edward ever encounters the actual Assassins at some point? I mean he lifted the uniform from the Assassin in the early part of the game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just one question. Without spoiling to much can anyone tell me if
Edward ever encounters the actual Assassins at some point? I mean he lifted the uniform from the Assassin in the early part of the game.

I guess even saying yes/no is kind of a spoiler, but
yes. Sort of, at least

Top Bottom