• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag |OT| Not Based on a DisneyLand Ride

I have had none of these problems anyone in here seems to be having. Never had an issue connecting to Uplay, have been seeing community events, my ship doesn't disappear, and i've had exactly zero problems with the tailing missions.

Maybe you guys should cut your fingernails.

Carbonox

I have had none of these problems anyone in here seems to be having. Never had an issue connecting to Uplay, have been seeing community events, my ship doesn't disappear, and i've had exactly zero problems with the tailing missions.

Maybe you guys should cut your fingernails.

I've had no issues either. Just saw my first community event too (beat up on a royal convoy). That was fun.

This game is tooooooooo fun.

Blizzje

Thank christ, I thought it was just my game or something. I have the exact same thing, not just with this track but with pretty much every ambient music track - it just stutters at the exact same moment every time.

It may sound like a minor nitpick but for some reason it's getting really annoying since the game music loops pretty often.

The moment the music cuts out in that video is the exact same moment it cuts out in my game. The sound effects keep going though.

Bad music files on the disc/psn? Other people commenting on this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/706181-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag/67884163

And no this is not a optical/hdmi/pcm/dd/dts issue. If it were, the sound effects wouldn't keep playing and the stuttering would be at random intervals.

Pitmonkey

Are these community events incorporated into the Wii U version? I know there is a a lack of community features, and I have come across the White whale from time to time as per "suggestions from players" but I haven't seen these community fleet attacks and such.

So. Started on the Southern Caribbean areas today.

Currently cleaning out my entire Fleet to make way for the faster, more storagey ships.

So. Started on the Southern Caribbean areas today.

Currently cleaning out my entire Fleet to make way for the faster, more storagey ships.

Soon you will be clearing it out again to make room for the slower, most storagey ships. I got like 9 or 10 Man o Wars running 80+ units of doodads each back and forth to Europe as we speak. At a 9 speed rating.

SJRB

Gold Member
Okay, the part in chapter 10 [I believe] where you go to the
Observatory
was proper awesome. The jungle layout was great with several ways to approach an enemy, great atmosphere with all the
dead men hanging everywhere
and the change of
enemy type
was a nice change of pace [albeit superficial at most].

First time really that I felt like a badass assassin, jumping from tree to tree to creep up on an enemy, jumping down and ramming my swords in their face.

Moobabe

Can you PS4 guys do a test for me? If you go to library and check your AC4 does it give you the option to "buy" or does it just say "start"?

I own the disc version but it still prompts me to buy the game in my library.

ButchCat

I can't believe the same people who were trashing AC3 are praising AC4 now. This is nothing more than AC3 tropical edition, as a matter of fact, it even holds less value than AC3 with many features being stripped off.

Logash

I can't believe the same people who were trashing AC3 are praising AC4 now. This is nothing more than AC3 tropical edition, as a matter of fact, it even holds less value than AC3 with many features being stripped off.

I loved AC3 personally but I'm having trouble seeing what feature were stripped from AC4 compared to 3.

Okay, the part in chapter 10 [I believe] where you go to the
Observatory
was proper awesome. The jungle layout was great with several ways to approach an enemy, great atmosphere with all the
dead men hanging everywhere
and the change of
enemy type
was a nice change of pace [albeit superficial at most].

First time really that I felt like a badass assassin, jumping from tree to tree to creep up on an enemy, jumping down and ramming my swords in their face.

That was badass, yeah. They did some really cool atmospheric stuff with the narrative.

DedValve

Banned
Has ANYONE been able to get a quick match going on the PS3?

My god this is my 3rd time and I just wait in the lobby indefinitely with 8/8 players waiting for the leader to select or something.

I'll try one more time and if not then I just won't play MP.

Guys I'm having issues with the edwards fleet minigame. I can't access it because it tells me I need a uplay passport, but when I try to redeem my code it tells me it's invalid.

When I tried researching for a fix I found out Ubisoft got rid of the uplay Passport and the edwards fleet side missions should be available to everybody.

Any help on how i can get it to work.

Guys I'm having issues with the edwards fleet minigame. I can't access it because it tells me I need a uplay passport, but when I try to redeem my code it tells me it's invalid.

When I tried researching for a fix I found out Ubisoft got rid of the uplay Passport and the edwards fleet side missions should be available to everybody.

Any help on how i can get it to work.

Not sure why your code doesn't work, but you should be able to find the ACIV UPLAY passport on the PSN store, and it should now be free. I believe the next patch for the game is going to remove the Passport requirement entirely.

Not sure why your code doesn't work, but you should be able to find the ACIV UPLAY passport on the PSN store, and it should now be free. I believe the next patch for the game is going to remove the Passport requirement entirely.

I looked on the store and the only thing that was free was the figurehead for the ship.

*Edit
Is kenways fleet only available as an ios game or can it be played on the main game?

Is there a really simple spark notes to catch up on the story? I stop playing halfway through brotherhood and realistically will never play the rest and the games between. I read the wikia page but it was kind of hard to keep up with all the different names, ha.

Pitmonkey

Finished the story tonight - not bad considering - will clean up the missing percentages tomorrow.

4nJaPiA.png

Well done, Ubisoft.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01r6iir.jpg

malfcn

Noticed uPlay is free for Xbox One through the game. Couldn't see the pass in the marketplace the other day except for $10. So they must have changed it over the weekend.

Bebpo

Banned

Nope!

AC3 = torturous gamer hell game! It's a game that's made to hate the player and make you feel like shit all the time.

AC4 = OCD game made by OCDers, everything is fun and efficient and made to make the player feel badass and awesome.

I know some people will take that as AC3 = challenging game, AC4 = baby game like AC2 series. But AC3 wasn't challenging, it was just fucking broken and unfun.

Simple things that make AC4 WAY BETTER:

-Viewpoints actually unlock the fog of war on the map. Forts unlock the ocean fog of war, so you do all the forts and get all the viewpoints and all the fog in the game is gone and you're left with nice clean maps. If you aren't an OCDer, you might not understanding how HORRIBLY FRUSTRATING it was in AC3 to spend 30 hours in a city running all over 100% it and STILL HAVE FOG ON YOUR MAP because the viewpoints didn't do anything really and when you run on foot you unlock this narrowest fog of war clearing ever.

-NO UNDERGROUND, FAST TRAVEL IS GOOD - AC3's underground mazes were incredibly fucking boring and required no skill. Run around through the dark that all looks the same and solving easy door puzzles just to get some actual freaking fast travel points to make things a little less tedious. AC4 you can fast travel to any location instantly, they're all pretty small and the big ones have tons of viewpoints that are all fast travel points.

-ECONOMY - AC3's hunting and trading was all pointless because the crafting system sucked and there was nothing to buy. In AC4 the game actually rewards hunting with character upgrades (both visual and gameplay increases!), and the sailing and ship fighting is actually important because the economy works and ship upgrading and gun purchasing is worthwhile.

-ASSASSINATIONS - AC3 had like on assassinations anymore even though it's called Assassin's Creed. Even the Assassin Guild Contracts in AC3 were just like "let's put a red marker over a farmer and you go stab him" which had no gameplay in it at all. Here there are SO MANY assassination contract that are each mini-scenarios that give you player freedom to assassinate the target in any way that you want sort of like AC1. The return of this adds so much fun. Also it's nice to have some freedom because AC3's missions if you want 100% were basically walking down a scripted mission where you have no freedom to play as you'd like at all. Whereas AC4's assassination contracts are like real sandbox "do what you want" gameplay, which is extremely satisfying.

-Ship Battles are actually fun. I know people praised the ship battles as the only good part of AC3, but even in AC3 it was tedious. It took forever to reload shots, sailing was slow, and well, it just was kind of boring. Here you can shoot non-stop and sail super fast. Sailing and battles are now fun!

-STEALTH IS LESS BROKEN AND GIVES MORE PLAYER CHANCES - one of the most ANNOYING things about AC3 is how, not only is the stealth broken, but how the second anyone sees you in a mission or just running around you have no choice but to stand still and fight a bunch of guys in boring combat until they all die and then you win the mission. In AC4 it's so easy to run away from people if you get caught and try again. Or kill the 2 guys you alerted and then you're back to being able to attempt stealth for the rest of the mission. In AC3 if 2 guys spot you, EVERY ENEMY IN THE ENTIRE MAP COMES TO FIGHT YOU. You ruined the chance to get play stealth any further after the first alert. This is stupid. Especially when stealth is a bit broken and janky you want to give players the chance to keep trying stealth even if they mess up here and there and set off an alert. AC4 lets you set off an alert without punishing you much.

-CITIES YOU CAN ACTUALLY ROOFTOP RUN - Havana is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any of the AC3 cities. You can get anywhere on the rooftops and there aren't guards every 5 feet on the roof getting alerted. You also don't have noteriety in AC4 which means you can just murder any guards you do encounter on the roof because, why not?

And then there's all the stuff like better main mission design with clearer mission objectives, especially sub-objectives, a better story with better characters, lack of boring desmond talking and playing, COLOR instead of drab, awesome shanty songs (much more rewarding than boring text scrolls), neat 1st person stuff, and probably a dozen other things I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

So yeah, ACIV is better than AC3. MUCH BETTER. If the lead designers and director of AC3 direct another AC game I've going to be very hesitant to pick it up. Almost every aspect of the gameplay was poorly designed. Whereas after Rev and ACIV, I'm on board for anything from this director.

glaurung

Ohhhh ya, took out my first legendary ship :)

Elite swivel guns for the win.......and elite mortar and elite heavy shot lol
One of the four elite ships is incredibly easy to sink.

Wait until you get to the one that
can only be damaged from the back.
I was unable to sink that even with four separate tries.

AC3 was a boring, janky mess. This one is more polished and more fun.

glaurung

AC3 was a boring, janky mess. This one is more polished and more fun.
It is safe to say that there are similarities between AC3 and AC4. But in addition to various enhancements and polish, the game world is now lush and green, the sea is blue and the skies are bright. AC3 got tiresome with its horrible grey and brown themes so very quickly.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
So if you weren't massive into collectibles and running over to every corner of the map to pick up random items, could you still enjoy it and get a solid experience?

Or will it massively impact on your ability to advance in the game, through not having resources to upgrade etc?

glaurung

So if you weren't massive into collectibles and running over to every corner of the map to pick up random items, could you still enjoy it and get a solid experience?

Or will it massively impact on your ability to advance in the game, through not having resources to upgrade etc?
It depends on how easy you want the progression to be. Noone forces you to go after all of those tiny islands and atolls that hold a single chest or animus fragment.

If you are a dab hand at ship combat, you can earn massive coin from that. Selling sugar and rum will be the main source of income later on.

So I would say no, you do not need to do all that. I did, but I am OCD like fuck anyway.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
It depends on how easy you want the progression to be. Noone forces you to go after all of those tiny islands and atolls that hold a single chest or animus fragment.

If you are a dab hand at ship combat, you can earn massive coin from that. Selling sugar and rum will be the main source of income later on.

So I would say no, you do not need to do all that. I did, but I am OCD like fuck anyway.

Ok thanks. Looking for another PS4 game and leaning towards this
have been interested for a while, but been on the fence as never gotten into the series before

Not big on game collect-a-thons, so if I can still crank those glorious looking ship battles, then it looks like it will be a bunch of fun!

SJRB

Gold Member
That was badass, yeah. They did some really cool atmospheric stuff with the narrative.

They really did. The stuff that comes right afterwards
[the dream sequence and the modern day server room]
was awesome as well, especially the latter looked super cool.

It took 12 chapters and 20+ hours of gameplay, but the game finally reached a point where something of a coherent story is formed, with proper character development, clear antagonist, a goal to work towards, etc.

Thinking about buying this game. But I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it worth playing if you have barely played the other Assassins Creed games? Is the story dependent on you knowing the previous titles?

2. Is it completely linear game, or can you build your ship in different ways, upgrade your character in different ways, choose the outcomes of missions and what missions that are available after that, and/or are there any random events?

glaurung

1. Is it worth playing if you have barely played the other Assassins Creed games? Is the story dependent on you knowing the previous titles?
The story holds up nicely. You do not need any previous knowledge of the preceding games. You will however get previous game stuff spoiled, but since you do not know these are spoilers, you should not care. There are various references to preceding games in optional collectibles which will not mean anything to you.
2. Is it completely linear game, or can you build your ship in different ways, upgrade your character in different ways, choose the outcomes of missions and what missions that are available after that, and/or are there any random events?
The game is linear as far as the main story goes. You can however take on optional side missions at your leisure and complete them at your leisure. You can go after collectibles - or you can leave them be.

Most missions support multiple playing due to extra restraints and conditions that you must meet in order to get 100% sync. Random events... I suppose you finding special whaling locations is a special event. Other than that, you might also stumble on ship battles between the British and the Spanish and end up looting both sides for your benefit.

You can customize the costume of the protagonist. You can craft upgrades for ammo pouches and such. These are all optional. You can purchase swords and pistol sets. Some of them have certain strengths and certain weaknesses.

Carbonox

Sometimes I go like 6 hours of just plundering booty and finding shit in the ocean without touching a main mission. This game is ridiculously addictive. Most addictive open-world title I've probably ever played.

I had to stop and have a smoke when I came to the main clearing at Great Inagua. It looked absolutely positively fuck-off gorgeous.

Hari Seldon

My god I love this game. But I hate all the stupid asscreed parts of it. I fucking HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE god damn fucking HATE all teh fucking piece of shit collection OCD bullshit. What kind of autistic bastard decided all this collection shit was good?

This game would be perfect if they kept all the pirate shit and subtracted all the stupid asscreed bullshit from it.

In fact, Ubisoft if you are reading this, branch off a Pirate only series without the asscreed baggage and I will buy it yearly haha. The setting and ship combat and all the pirating is just so fucking perfect and underserved.

Derrick01

Banned
These legendary ships are such bullshit. I have a fully maxed out ship and still can't do much to them because of how overpowered they are. How can a ship as massive as these sail at 4000 miles an hour and turn instantly? One comes to ram me and there's literally nothing I can do because no matter how I (slowly) turn to avoid it it can turn 10 times faster than me at full speed, and each times it rams me I lose either a full bar or 90% of one.

Fuck it this isn't worth a trophy when I wasn't getting the platinum anyway due to multiplayer trophies. I think I'm finally just done with this game. Better to get $30 for it now.

Vizzeh

Banned
Loving the game so far, definately only scratching the surface as playing through resogun, flower, killzone and bf4 + others (of which iv done v little multiplayer)

Spotted a PC v PS4 graphical comparison on RGT... v good video and analysis if anyone is interested. PS4 holds up very well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smdAgLFUDo4

Blizzje

Thank christ, I thought it was just my game or something. I have the exact same thing, not just with this track but with pretty much every ambient music track - it just stutters at the exact same moment every time.

It may sound like a minor nitpick but for some reason it's getting really annoying since the game music loops pretty often.

Submitted to Ubisoft and they are looking into it.
The cutouts happen on ALL ambient tracks while freeroaming.

The fact that so many of you haven't noticed this is baffling to me.

Binabik15

I haven't played much, only started playing PS4 Monday. Game can look really, really god, some of the textures are amazing. If a cross-gen open world game can have textures like this I can't wait for Uncharted 4 to reclaim the title Texturezilla. And DAT OCEAN.

I didn't do too much in Havanna and just got the Jackdaw. I still struggle with the controls, mechanics and stuff. I sometimes attracted guard attention without knowing why (both sneaking during a mission and running through town), I couldn't get the complete sync in the Jackdaw mission because no amount of whistling got a third guard to walk up to a corner and let himself get stabbed. I want to get better using/abusing stealth, I don't want to rack up a huge deathcount. Combat is certainly flashy and cool, but it lacks the tightness and challenge of Knack's combat which I also play right now. Yeah, I like Knack's combat, two moves or not.

Anyway, can't wait to do some pirating. Somehow my favourite part has been walking around on a marketplace cutting purses. Some dude netted me 423 Reales, now that was awesome. It's the same in RPGs, I spend a lot of time quicksaving/loading to rob everyone around. I hope stealing ships is as fun.

Mindlog

Probably been beleaguered a dozen times over, but the UPlay requirement for Kenway's Fleet is really fucking frustrating because the feature is somewhat enjoyable. Setting opt-out for cloud sync should be a really simple thing to do. Not being able to escort my own ships is also really stupid.

Top Bottom